alan[remove][email protected]

Default Grinding Meat For Hamburgers

I never ground meat for hamburgers. I have a Kitchen aid mixer with
the grinder and pasta extruder attachment. I think I can figure out
how to use it, I have made pasta with it, but what I don't know
anything about is what to buy.

The last two times we had BBQs, we used ground sirloin from this local
place that had it on sale for $2.89 and $2.69 a pound. Boneless
sirloin on sale is usually about $3.99 and Fairway has prime sirloin
for london broil at $4.99.

So, how do they get down to $2.89 and $2.69. What do they add to it
to bring down the price? This ground sirloin was 92% lean. Could
that be from a peice of sirloin for london broil. What am I missing
here?

I really like the taste of sirlon, so is there anything I should add
to a piece of sirlon london broil to get the fat content down up to
10% or 90% lean.

What is the difference between sirloin and top sirloin? Is prime
sirloin better than choice top sirloin? What are the differences?

Alan
Edwin Pawlowski

""alan[rem????????????" <"alan[rem???????????? wrote in message
> The last two times we had BBQs, we used ground sirloin from this local
> place that had it on sale for $2.89 and $2.69 a pound. Boneless
> sirloin on sale is usually about $3.99 and Fairway has prime sirloin
> for london broil at $4.99.

I've never seen prime at Fairway, mostly select. I don't buy beef there for
that reason. I get choice at BJ's If they have prime, I'd grab it, but not
for grinding.

> So, how do they get down to $2.89 and $2.69. What do they add to it
> to bring down the price?

Trimmings. Tiny pieces you'd not want to cook as is.

> I really like the taste of sirlon, so is there anything I should add
> to a piece of sirlon london broil to get the fat content down up to
> 10% or 90% lean.

IMO, 90% lean is way to lean for a juicy burger. I like 80 to 80%. Just add
fat.

> What is the difference between sirloin and top sirloin? Is prime
> sirloin better than choice top sirloin? What are the differences?

I'm not sure aside from the placement in the steer. Placement equates to
tenderness though.

Peter Aitken

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> ""alan[rem????????????" <"alan[rem???????????? wrote in message
>> The last two times we had BBQs, we used ground sirloin from this local
>> place that had it on sale for $2.89 and $2.69 a pound. Boneless
>> sirloin on sale is usually about $3.99 and Fairway has prime sirloin
>> for london broil at $4.99.

> I've never seen prime at Fairway, mostly select. I don't buy beef there
> for that reason. I get choice at BJ's If they have prime, I'd grab it,
> but not for grinding.
>

>> So, how do they get down to $2.89 and $2.69. What do they add to it
>> to bring down the price?

> Trimmings. Tiny pieces you'd not want to cook as is.
>

>> I really like the taste of sirlon, so is there anything I should add
>> to a piece of sirlon london broil to get the fat content down up to
>> 10% or 90% lean.

> IMO, 90% lean is way to lean for a juicy burger. I like 80 to 80%. Just
> add fat.
>

>> What is the difference between sirloin and top sirloin? Is prime
>> sirloin better than choice top sirloin? What are the differences?

> I'm not sure aside from the placement in the steer. Placement equates to
> tenderness though.

That's right, but it's irrelevant for hamburger.

--
Peter Aitken

alan wrote:
> I never ground meat for hamburgers. I have a Kitchen aid mixer with
> the grinder and pasta extruder attachment. I think I can figure out
> how to use it, I have made pasta with it, but what I don't know
> anything about is what to buy.

Alan, I'm sure Sheldon won't mind me sharing his advice to me when I
first became GrinderGirl:
Hi,
I don't mind helping people. When just starting out with meat grinding
it's best to begin on a small scale until you familiarize yourself.
You will quickly feel comfortable and will expand on your own....

The one main thing to keep in mind is that grinding meat is not a way
to save money... do not get caught up in thinking to look for the
cheapest cuts, instead look for the best cuts you can afford... there
is no reason not to grind expensive steaks to make burgers, they'll be
the best burgers you have had, and in fact will be better than the
steaks had you not ground them and you'll come to prefer your steaks
ground.

But the most important thing is to follow the rules of food safety,
work clean, quick, and cold... everything that comes into contact with
the meat should be refrigerated, all bowls, the cutting board, and most
importantly the grinder itself. If you live in a warm climate do your
grinding during the early morning before the heat of the day.

One of the easiest beef cuts to start out with is top round, it's
readily available, reasonably priced, and makes excellent burgers and
meat loaf.

You can expand to grind all kinds of meats, including pork, chicken,
fish, most anything.

The thing is to just dive in.

Enjoy.

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
wrote:

> I never ground meat for hamburgers. I have a Kitchen aid mixer with
> the grinder and pasta extruder attachment. I think I can figure out
> how to use it, I have made pasta with it, but what I don't know
> anything about is what to buy.
>
> The last two times we had BBQs, we used ground sirloin from this local
> place that had it on sale for $2.89 and $2.69 a pound. Boneless
> sirloin on sale is usually about $3.99 and Fairway has prime sirloin
> for london broil at $4.99.
>
> So, how do they get down to $2.89 and $2.69. What do they add to it
> to bring down the price? This ground sirloin was 92% lean. Could
> that be from a peice of sirloin for london broil. What am I missing
> here?
>
> I really like the taste of sirlon, so is there anything I should add
> to a piece of sirlon london broil to get the fat content down up to
> 10% or 90% lean.
>
> What is the difference between sirloin and top sirloin? Is prime
> sirloin better than choice top sirloin? What are the differences?
>
> Alan

If you are just going to grind it, get whatever is cheaper.
It won't matter. :-)

Try ground Brisket sometime...
It's amazing.
--
Om.

Andy

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Try ground Brisket sometime...
> It's amazing.
> --
> Om.

Om,

I'm going to try that, as long as it's not breaking some age-old BBQ
law.

Thanks,

Andy
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >, Andy <q>
wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > Try ground Brisket sometime...
> > It's amazing.
> > --
> > Om.

> Om,
>
> I'm going to try that, as long as it's not breaking some age-old BBQ
> law.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

Hee! No, it's not. :-)
I normally make it myself but was surprised the other day to find it at
the store!

It really has a different texture and flavor IMHO.
--
Om.

Edwin Pawlowski

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message

> It really has a different texture and flavor IMHO.
> --
> Om.

Brisket is the main ingredient in beef hot dogs.

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> wrote:
>
> > I never ground meat for hamburgers. I have a Kitchen aid mixer with
> > the grinder and pasta extruder attachment. I think I can figure out
> > how to use it, I have made pasta with it, but what I don't know
> > anything about is what to buy.
> >
> > The last two times we had BBQs, we used ground sirloin from this local
> > place that had it on sale for $2.89 and $2.69 a pound. Boneless
> > sirloin on sale is usually about $3.99 and Fairway has prime sirloin
> > for london broil at $4.99.
> >
> > So, how do they get down to $2.89 and $2.69. What do they add to it
> > to bring down the price? This ground sirloin was 92% lean. Could
> > that be from a peice of sirloin for london broil. What am I missing
> > here?
> >
> > I really like the taste of sirlon, so is there anything I should add
> > to a piece of sirlon london broil to get the fat content down up to
> > 10% or 90% lean.
> >
> > What is the difference between sirloin and top sirloin? Is prime
> > sirloin better than choice top sirloin? What are the differences?
> >
> > Alan

> If you are just going to grind it, get whatever is cheaper.
> It won't matter. :-)
>
> Try ground Brisket sometime...
> It's amazing.

Since when is brisket cheap? A chunk of flat cut brisket costs about
$6-$7/lb, and if you buy whole brisket it may seem cheaper but by the
time you trim away enough fat to make it edible for burgers it'll cost
as much as $6-$7/lb. Amazing, eh? Besides, even if it's ground three
times brisket is still too tough for anything but braise.

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I never ground meat for hamburgers. I have a Kitchen aid mixer with
> > > the grinder and pasta extruder attachment. I think I can figure out
> > > how to use it, I have made pasta with it, but what I don't know
> > > anything about is what to buy.
> > >
> > > The last two times we had BBQs, we used ground sirloin from this local
> > > place that had it on sale for $2.89 and $2.69 a pound. Boneless
> > > sirloin on sale is usually about $3.99 and Fairway has prime sirloin
> > > for london broil at $4.99.
> > >
> > > So, how do they get down to $2.89 and $2.69. What do they add to it
> > > to bring down the price? This ground sirloin was 92% lean. Could
> > > that be from a peice of sirloin for london broil. What am I missing
> > > here?
> > >
> > > I really like the taste of sirlon, so is there anything I should add
> > > to a piece of sirlon london broil to get the fat content down up to
> > > 10% or 90% lean.
> > >
> > > What is the difference between sirloin and top sirloin? Is prime
> > > sirloin better than choice top sirloin? What are the differences?
> > >
> > > Alan

> > If you are just going to grind it, get whatever is cheaper.
> > It won't matter. :-)
> >
> > Try ground Brisket sometime...
> > It's amazing.

> Since when is brisket cheap? A chunk of flat cut brisket costs about
> $6-$7/lb, and if you buy whole brisket it may seem cheaper but by the
> time you trim away enough fat to make it edible for burgers it'll cost
> as much as $6-$7/lb. Amazing, eh? Besides, even if it's ground three
> times brisket is still too tough for anything but braise.
>
> Sheldon

Maybe where you live luv. :-)

Even trimmed (all those huge slabs of fat trimmed off) it's only priced
at around $2.99 per lb. around the holidays.
The untrimmed are $1.29 per lb. or lower.

And ground, no, it's not tough.
Not using the kitchen aid.

Try it. I dare ya!
--
Om.

Sheldon

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> >
> > It really has a different texture and flavor IMHO.
> > --
> > Om.

> Brisket is the main ingredient in beef hot dogs.

I don't think so. All commercial hot dogs are made from mystery meat.
Non kosher beef hot dogs are made from mystery meat (scraps) from the
*entire* animal. Kosher hot dogs are made from mystery meat too, but
scraps from the *entire* forequarter only, it will include brisket but
only the trimmings... still, if one had to stipulate proportions most
would be chuck, the trimmings. No commercial hot dogs are made from
just one specific cut, and not from parts that are usually sold as a
named cut, and certainly not from animals that qualify for the higher
USDA Grades, commercial hot dogs are made from Beef at the lower end of
the USDA Grades. Hot dogs are made from trimmings... same as balogna,
salami, and all other similar sausage/cold cuts. When made at home one
can pick, choose, and refuse, but not when you buy commercial products,
then it's 100% pure mystery meat and from the lowest grades...
remember, kosher says nothing about USDA Grades, an old ox can be just
as kosher as a young calf... there definitely was no USDA way back
then. So there's yet another benefit of preparing your own from meat
you grind yourself, you control which grade... not only is pre-ground
beef of unknown cuts it's also primarily of the very lowest grades with
only the trimmings of better grades thrown in... it's mystery meat.

http://www.hebrewnational.com/pages/kosher/index.jsp

Sheldon

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> > > If you are just going to grind it, get whatever is cheaper.
> > > It won't matter. :-)
> > >
> > > Try ground Brisket sometime...
> > > It's amazing.

> > Since when is brisket cheap? A chunk of flat cut brisket costs about
> > $6-$7/lb, and if you buy whole brisket it may seem cheaper but by the
> > time you trim away enough fat to make it edible for burgers it'll cost
> > as much as $6-$7/lb. Amazing, eh? Besides, even if it's ground three
> > times brisket is still too tough for anything but braise.
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> Maybe where you live luv. :-)
>
> Even trimmed (all those huge slabs of fat trimmed off) it's only priced
> at around $2.99 per lb. around the holidays.
> The untrimmed are $1.29 per lb. or lower.
>
> And ground, no, it's not tough.
> Not using the kitchen aid.
>
> Try it. I dare ya!

I have, it sux... For burgers, unless heavily seasoned, it tastes
almost gamey, and has a gritty texture, similar to partially cooked
couscous. Even you admited it had a different texture, and flavor...
in your last post you wrote: "It really has a different texture and
flavor IMHO." Depends what you're used to... perhaps in your neck of
deliverence country road kill burgers are all the rage.

Brisket is excellent when heavily seasoned and cooked long and slow,
I'd not recommend it for burgers.

Btw, anyone with the mind set that grinding their own meat is a way to
be cheap should stick to stupidmarket mystery meat.

And that teensy toys r us KA attachment does NOT qualify as a meat
grinder.

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article .com>,

> > > Since when is brisket cheap? A chunk of flat cut brisket costs about
> > > $6-$7/lb, and if you buy whole brisket it may seem cheaper but by the
> > > time you trim away enough fat to make it edible for burgers it'll cost
> > > as much as $6-$7/lb. Amazing, eh? Besides, even if it's ground three
> > > times brisket is still too tough for anything but braise.
> > >
> > > Sheldon
> > >

> > Maybe where you live luv. :-)
> >
> > Even trimmed (all those huge slabs of fat trimmed off) it's only priced
> > at around $2.99 per lb. around the holidays.
> > The untrimmed are $1.29 per lb. or lower.
> >
> > And ground, no, it's not tough.
> > Not using the kitchen aid.
> >
> > Try it. I dare ya!

> I have, it sux... For burgers, unless heavily seasoned, it tastes
> almost gamey, and has a gritty texture, similar to partially cooked
> couscous. Even you admited it had a different texture, and flavor...
> in your last post you wrote: "It really has a different texture and
> flavor IMHO." Depends what you're used to... perhaps in your neck of
> deliverence country road kill burgers are all the rage.
>
> Brisket is excellent when heavily seasoned and cooked long and slow,
> I'd not recommend it for burgers.
>
> Btw, anyone with the mind set that grinding their own meat is a way to
> be cheap should stick to stupidmarket mystery meat.
>
> And that teensy toys r us KA attachment does NOT qualify as a meat
> grinder.
>
> Sheldon

It works for small amounts...
I don't do a lot of meat grinding.
There is no reason too.

Last time I used it it was with the sauasage cone to make some Boudin.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Bob

Sheldon wrote:

> When made at home one can pick, choose, and refuse, but not when you buy
> commercial products, then it's 100% pure mystery meat and from the lowest
> grades...

This from a guy who likes olive loaf, bologna, and mortadella.

Bob

alan[remove][email protected]

Which brisket, the full or the flat cut?

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 04:12:29 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>In article >,
> wrote:
>
>> I never ground meat for hamburgers. I have a Kitchen aid mixer with
>> the grinder and pasta extruder attachment. I think I can figure out
>> how to use it, I have made pasta with it, but what I don't know
>> anything about is what to buy.
>>
>> The last two times we had BBQs, we used ground sirloin from this local
>> place that had it on sale for $2.89 and $2.69 a pound. Boneless
>> sirloin on sale is usually about $3.99 and Fairway has prime sirloin
>> for london broil at $4.99.
>>
>> So, how do they get down to $2.89 and $2.69. What do they add to it
>> to bring down the price? This ground sirloin was 92% lean. Could
>> that be from a peice of sirloin for london broil. What am I missing
>> here?
>>
>> I really like the taste of sirlon, so is there anything I should add
>> to a piece of sirlon london broil to get the fat content down up to
>> 10% or 90% lean.
>>
>> What is the difference between sirloin and top sirloin? Is prime
>> sirloin better than choice top sirloin? What are the differences?
>>
>> Alan

>If you are just going to grind it, get whatever is cheaper.
>It won't matter. :-)
>
>Try ground Brisket sometime...
>It's amazing.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
wrote:

> Which brisket, the full or the flat cut?

I buy the cheap ones.
The full cut with that big fat slab.

I trim the majority of that fat slab off. ;-)
It gets cut up for the chickens...
--
Om.

Which tool? meat grinding Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 101 17-07-2011 03:43 PM
Grinding meat meatnub General Cooking 21 23-05-2008 02:58 AM
Adventures in Meat Grinding wff_ng_7 General Cooking 14 11-04-2006 06:08 PM
"grinding" meat in a food processor? Hope General Cooking 8 08-07-2005 03:41 PM
Hamburgers vs. ground meat jmcquown General Cooking 1 05-12-2004 08:15 PM