Edwin Pawlowski

""alan[rem????????????" <"alan[rem???????????? wrote in message
> The last two times we had BBQs, we used ground sirloin from this local
> place that had it on sale for $2.89 and $2.69 a pound. Boneless
> sirloin on sale is usually about $3.99 and Fairway has prime sirloin
> for london broil at $4.99.

I've never seen prime at Fairway, mostly select. I don't buy beef there for
that reason. I get choice at BJ's If they have prime, I'd grab it, but not
for grinding.

> So, how do they get down to $2.89 and $2.69. What do they add to it
> to bring down the price?

Trimmings. Tiny pieces you'd not want to cook as is.

> I really like the taste of sirlon, so is there anything I should add
> to a piece of sirlon london broil to get the fat content down up to
> 10% or 90% lean.

IMO, 90% lean is way to lean for a juicy burger. I like 80 to 80%. Just add
fat.

> What is the difference between sirloin and top sirloin? Is prime
> sirloin better than choice top sirloin? What are the differences?

I'm not sure aside from the placement in the steer. Placement equates to
tenderness though.