Hope

Default "grinding" meat in a food processor?

hi, I am having trouble getting my head around the lingo, excuse me if
I make no sense.

I am sure I have seen Jamie Oliver use a normal food processor (not a
special meat grinder) to turn chuck into mince/hamburger... minced
steak. Was I dreaming? Would you just dice it roughly and then pulse
it a few times? It wou;dn't turn into some nasty meat puree? (I am,
still learning my way around my new food processor, yep).

tia

Hope

Sheldon

Hope wrote:

> I am sure I have seen Jamie Oliver use a normal food processor (not a
> special meat grinder) to turn chuck into mince/hamburger... minced
> steak. Was I dreaming? Would you just dice it roughly and then pulse
> it a few times? It wou;dn't turn into some nasty meat puree? (I am,
> still learning my way around my new food processor, yep).

Grind meat with a food processor... simply not a possibility... in fact
a food processor can't grind anything.

Sheldon

skoonj

"Hope" > wrote in message
> hi, I am having trouble getting my head around the lingo, excuse me if
> I make no sense.
>
> I am sure I have seen Jamie Oliver use a normal food processor (not a
> special meat grinder) to turn chuck into mince/hamburger... minced
> steak. Was I dreaming? Would you just dice it roughly and then pulse
> it a few times? It wou;dn't turn into some nasty meat puree? (I am,
> still learning my way around my new food processor, yep).

Alton Brown did it he http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/GEFP/index.htm

-T

notbob

On 2005-07-08, Hope > wrote:

> Would you just dice it roughly and then pulse
> it a few times?

Yep. I've done it with chuck n' sirloin together. Works great. Make
sure the meat is semi-frozen, just enough so
the meat is firm, yet can be easily cut. Cut to 1-2" chunks and put
in F/P with blade attachment and pulse to desired consistency. It's not
exactly the same as ground, but it's close enough. It'll hold
together for burgers and meatballs.

I started using my F/P instead of my electric grinder because I lost
the coarse grind plate and the fine plate doesn't do a good job.

nb
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 07 Jul 2005 08:22:39p, notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2005-07-08, Hope > wrote:
>
>> Would you just dice it roughly and then pulse it a few times?

> Yep. I've done it with chuck n' sirloin together. Works great. Make
> sure the meat is semi-frozen, just enough so
> the meat is firm, yet can be easily cut. Cut to 1-2" chunks and put
> in F/P with blade attachment and pulse to desired consistency. It's not
> exactly the same as ground, but it's close enough. It'll hold
> together for burgers and meatballs.
>
> I started using my F/P instead of my electric grinder because I lost
> the coarse grind plate and the fine plate doesn't do a good job.

I'm probably one of the few, but I don't like meat chopped in a F/P. The
texture is clearly not at all like ground meat, more like "minced", and I
find it very unappealing in hamburger, sloppy joes, hamburger gravy,
spaghetti sauce, chili, etc.

I guess it depends on the meat grinder, but I have no problem with the fine
plate. Although I usually use the coarse place and grind twice.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-1, 07/07/2005
Tested on: 7/7/2005 8:31:41 PM

rmg

"Hope" > wrote in message
> hi, I am having trouble getting my head around the lingo, excuse me if
> I make no sense.
>
> I am sure I have seen Jamie Oliver use a normal food processor (not a
> special meat grinder) to turn chuck into mince/hamburger... minced
> steak. Was I dreaming? Would you just dice it roughly and then pulse
> it a few times? It wou;dn't turn into some nasty meat puree? (I am,
> still learning my way around my new food processor, yep).

My old Cuisinart manual has a recipe for making pork sausage. I can't find
the manual, but it defnitely had you grind the meat in the food processor.
I've always wanted to try it because I loves me sausage.

cheers

Seamus

That would be true if the meat were really ground. It's actually minced
- that's what the folks o'er the Big Pond call it, IIRC.

Seamus

That would be true if the meat were really ground. It's actually minced
- that's what the folks o'er the Big Pond call it, IIRC.

Dimitri

"Hope" > wrote in message
> hi, I am having trouble getting my head around the lingo, excuse me if
> I make no sense.
>
> I am sure I have seen Jamie Oliver use a normal food processor (not a
> special meat grinder) to turn chuck into mince/hamburger... minced
> steak. Was I dreaming? Would you just dice it roughly and then pulse
> it a few times? It wou;dn't turn into some nasty meat puree? (I am,
> still learning my way around my new food processor, yep).
>

> tia
>
> Hope

Dreaming ? Don't know I do not watch Mr Oliver.

Grind - no chop yes.

You're right on the money. Just rough cut and begin pulsing. The trick is
knowing when to stop and not overloading the container.

Dimitri