Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> > > If you are just going to grind it, get whatever is cheaper.
> > > It won't matter. :-)
> > >
> > > Try ground Brisket sometime...
> > > It's amazing.

> > Since when is brisket cheap? A chunk of flat cut brisket costs about
> > $6-$7/lb, and if you buy whole brisket it may seem cheaper but by the
> > time you trim away enough fat to make it edible for burgers it'll cost
> > as much as $6-$7/lb. Amazing, eh? Besides, even if it's ground three
> > times brisket is still too tough for anything but braise.
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> Maybe where you live luv. :-)
>
> Even trimmed (all those huge slabs of fat trimmed off) it's only priced
> at around $2.99 per lb. around the holidays.
> The untrimmed are $1.29 per lb. or lower.
>
> And ground, no, it's not tough.
> Not using the kitchen aid.
>
> Try it. I dare ya!

I have, it sux... For burgers, unless heavily seasoned, it tastes
almost gamey, and has a gritty texture, similar to partially cooked
couscous. Even you admited it had a different texture, and flavor...
in your last post you wrote: "It really has a different texture and
flavor IMHO." Depends what you're used to... perhaps in your neck of
deliverence country road kill burgers are all the rage.

Brisket is excellent when heavily seasoned and cooked long and slow,
I'd not recommend it for burgers.

Btw, anyone with the mind set that grinding their own meat is a way to
be cheap should stick to stupidmarket mystery meat.

And that teensy toys r us KA attachment does NOT qualify as a meat
grinder.

Sheldon