Sarah

Default Help needed with cookies please

Today I made cookies with the following recipe:
1 cup Butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 tbls whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups of chocolate chips.
preheat oven 350 degrees
Cream together the butter, sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla in mixer bowl.
Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in another container.
Add to the butter mixture and blend well.
Gently stir in chocolate chips.
cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
Scoop out the dough by teaspoonfuls and drop on an increased cookie sheet, 1
inch apart
Bake until browned (about 8 minutes).
I didn't refrigerate overnight, and found the cookies to taste fine but be
too light, I prefer a heavier cookie.
Was it just that I didn't refrigerate or is it something in the recipe?
Does anyone have any tried recipes for cookies that are slightly chewy but
quite heavy and solid not light and airy?
Thanks
Sarah

jmcquown

Sarah wrote:
> Today I made cookies with the following recipe:
> 1 cup Butter
> 1 cup sugar
> 2 eggs
> 3 tbls whole milk
> 1 tsp vanilla extract
> 2 cups all purpose flour
> 1/2 tsp baking soda
> 1/2 tsp baking powder
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 3 cups of chocolate chips.
> preheat oven 350 degrees
> Cream together the butter, sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla in mixer

(snippage)
> I didn't refrigerate overnight, and found the cookies to taste fine
> but be too light, I prefer a heavier cookie.
> Sarah

Butter makes for a crispy cookie, vegetable shortening or lard makes for a
moist, chewy cookie.

Jill

Sarah

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> Sarah wrote:
>> Today I made cookies with the following recipe:
>> 1 cup Butter
>> 1 cup sugar
>> 2 eggs
>> 3 tbls whole milk
>> 1 tsp vanilla extract
>> 2 cups all purpose flour
>> 1/2 tsp baking soda
>> 1/2 tsp baking powder
>> 1/2 tsp salt
>> 3 cups of chocolate chips.
>> preheat oven 350 degrees
>> Cream together the butter, sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla in mixer

> (snippage)
>> I didn't refrigerate overnight, and found the cookies to taste fine
>> but be too light, I prefer a heavier cookie.
>> Sarah

> Butter makes for a crispy cookie, vegetable shortening or lard makes for a
> moist, chewy cookie.
>
> Jill

Would you replace the butter for lard or use half and half?
Sarah

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 02 Sep 2005 10:48:44a, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Sarah wrote:
>> Today I made cookies with the following recipe:
>> 1 cup Butter
>> 1 cup sugar
>> 2 eggs
>> 3 tbls whole milk
>> 1 tsp vanilla extract
>> 2 cups all purpose flour
>> 1/2 tsp baking soda
>> 1/2 tsp baking powder
>> 1/2 tsp salt
>> 3 cups of chocolate chips.
>> preheat oven 350 degrees
>> Cream together the butter, sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla in mixer

> (snippage)
>> I didn't refrigerate overnight, and found the cookies to taste fine
>> but be too light, I prefer a heavier cookie.
>> Sarah

> Butter makes for a crispy cookie, vegetable shortening or lard makes for
> a moist, chewy cookie.

You could also change the granulated sugar to brown sugar. The only
correlation I could see to refrigerating the dough overnight, is that it
may partially negate the effect of the baking soda, since baking soda
reacts more immediately in the dough and without heat. This might make a
more compact cookie, thus heavier.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
jmcquown

Sarah wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news
>> Sarah wrote:
>>> Today I made cookies with the following recipe:
>>> 1 cup Butter
>>> 1 cup sugar
>>> 2 eggs
>>> 3 tbls whole milk
>>> 1 tsp vanilla extract
>>> 2 cups all purpose flour
>>> 1/2 tsp baking soda
>>> 1/2 tsp baking powder
>>> 1/2 tsp salt
>>> 3 cups of chocolate chips.
>>> preheat oven 350 degrees
>>> Cream together the butter, sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla in mixer
>>> (snippage) I didn't refrigerate overnight, and found the cookies to
>>> taste fine
>>> but be too light, I prefer a heavier cookie.
>>> Sarah

>> Butter makes for a crispy cookie, vegetable shortening or lard makes
>> for a moist, chewy cookie.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Would you replace the butter for lard or use half and half?
> Sarah

Personally I would use vegetable shortening; the lard was mentioned as an
alternative if you can't find products like Crisco.

Jill

Sarah

>> Butter makes for a crispy cookie, vegetable shortening or lard makes for
>> a moist, chewy cookie.

> You could also change the granulated sugar to brown sugar. The only
> correlation I could see to refrigerating the dough overnight, is that it
> may partially negate the effect of the baking soda, since baking soda
> reacts more immediately in the dough and without heat. This might make a
> more compact cookie, thus heavier.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>
> Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
> Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

I don't know what the UK alternative for crisco is, does anyone have any
idea?

Sarah

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 02 Sep 2005 12:39:01p, Sarah wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Butter makes for a crispy cookie, vegetable shortening or lard makes
>>> for a moist, chewy cookie.

>> You could also change the granulated sugar to brown sugar. The only
>> correlation I could see to refrigerating the dough overnight, is that
>> it may partially negate the effect of the baking soda, since baking
>> soda reacts more immediately in the dough and without heat. This might
>> make a more compact cookie, thus heavier.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>>
>> Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
>> Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

> I don't know what the UK alternative for crisco is, does anyone have any
> idea?
>
> Sarah

Sarah, I don't think there is a direct equivalent to Crisco. Crisco is a
vegetable shortening which is solid at room temperature. It has a creamy,
somewhat fluffy, consistency. You might try pure lard, but I can't think
of anything else.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Sarah

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>>> You could also change the granulated sugar to brown sugar. The only
>>> correlation I could see to refrigerating the dough overnight, is that
>>> it may partially negate the effect of the baking soda, since baking
>>> soda reacts more immediately in the dough and without heat. This might
>>> make a more compact cookie, thus heavier.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>>>
>>> Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
>>> Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

>> I don't know what the UK alternative for crisco is, does anyone have any
>> idea?
>>
>> Sarah

> Sarah, I don't think there is a direct equivalent to Crisco. Crisco is a
> vegetable shortening which is solid at room temperature. It has a creamy,
> somewhat fluffy, consistency. You might try pure lard, but I can't think
> of anything else.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>
> Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
> Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

I'll have a look around the dairy and non dairy in the supermarket, I think
my mum's uses a vegetarian solid fat, instead of lard sometimes, so that
could be a good option.
Lard doesn't sound so good in cookies as butter or shortening!
Sarah

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 02 Sep 2005 11:17:51p, Sarah wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> I don't know what the UK alternative for crisco is, does anyone have
>>> any idea?
>>>
>>> Sarah

>> Sarah, I don't think there is a direct equivalent to Crisco. Crisco is
>> a vegetable shortening which is solid at room temperature. It has a
>> creamy, somewhat fluffy, consistency. You might try pure lard, but I
>> can't think of anything else.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>>
>> Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
>> Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

> I'll have a look around the dairy and non dairy in the supermarket, I
> think my mum's uses a vegetarian solid fat, instead of lard sometimes,
> so that could be a good option.
> Lard doesn't sound so good in cookies as butter or shortening!
> Sarah

What about vegetable suet?

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
-L.

Sarah wrote:
> Today I made cookies with the following recipe:
> 1 cup Butter
> 1 cup sugar
> 2 eggs
> 3 tbls whole milk
> 1 tsp vanilla extract
> 2 cups all purpose flour
> 1/2 tsp baking soda
> 1/2 tsp baking powder
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 3 cups of chocolate chips.

Remove the baking powder - you don't need it. Use both white sugar and
brown sugar.

This is one of my recipes:

2 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunk bittersweet chocolate

I also have an oatmeal chocolate chip recipe that is yummy:

Oatmeal Cookies (Lyn Glover)

Basic recipe:

3/4 C. butter
1 C. light brown sugar
1/2 C. sugar
1 egg (jumbo)
1/3 C. water or milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (real vanilla, not imitation)
2 C. Quaker Quick Oats
1 C. Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
1 C. Flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Cream butter, sugars, egg and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients and
spices, adding oats last. Add additional ingredients as desired (see
variations, below). Spray non-stick baking sheet with PAM cooking
spray (I use Canola variety). Drop rounded tablespoons of dough onto
baking sheet, 1 1/2 inches apart. Flatten and shape lightly. Bake at
375F for five minutes, turn the sheet 180 degrees, and bake an
additional 4 minutes. Cookies are done when lightly browned at the
edges, and the tops are beginning to dry. May take a little longer
than the specified 9 minutes. If cookies run too much, add a little
flour to the dough, and refrigerate it before making more cookies.
Store in airtight container (Ziploc baggies).

************
Variations:
************
For Oatmeal Raisin Cookies:

Add:
3/4 C. raisins (soaked in cold water 1/2 hour, drained, and dried)
3/4 C. coarsely chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon clove

**********
For Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies:

Add:
3/4 C. bittersweet chocolate chips or chunks
3/4 C. coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

**************
For Oatmeal Butter Scotch Cookies:

Add:
3/4 C. Nestle Butterscotch morsels
1/3 C. Coconut (Baker's brand canned is best, but can use sweetened
flaked)
3/4 C. coarsely chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon clove

(May use more spices if desired - taste dough - it should taste very
spicy.)

-L.

Mr Libido Incognito

Sarah wrote on 03 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> I'll have a look around the dairy and non dairy in the supermarket,
> I think my mum's uses a vegetarian solid fat, instead of lard
> sometimes, so that could be a good option.
> Lard doesn't sound so good in cookies as butter or shortening!
> Sarah

For soft chewy cookies
Try this one...it is quite very very good.
Store in a air tight container

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Damsel's Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies

none

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups flour
6 ounces chocolate chips
1/2 cup nuts -- optional

.. Combine ingredients in order given.
2. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet.
3. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes.

Source:
'Jackie Fast'
'3 1/2 dozen'

The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
The ears keep the hat up.
Sarah

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message

> For soft chewy cookies
> Try this one...it is quite very very good.
> Store in a air tight container
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Damsel's Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies
>
> none
>
> 1 cup brown sugar
> 1 cup granulated sugar
> 1/2 cup vegetable oil
> 1/2 cup sour cream
> 2 large eggs
> 1 teaspoon baking soda
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
> 3 cups flour
> 6 ounces chocolate chips
> 1/2 cup nuts -- optional
>
> . Combine ingredients in order given.
> 2. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet.
> 3. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes.
>

> Source:
> 'Jackie Fast'
> '3 1/2 dozen'
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.69 **

I've got to give these a try in the next day or 2! I've even got all the
ingredients!
(have managed to leave some sour cream in the fridge!)

Sarah

Sarah

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

<sniped recipes>

> -L.

I've saved these recipes too, the spices do make them sound really
delicious, I'll buy some oats on my next shop.
I guess we'll be eating cookies for a while! The people at work will
appreciate the left overs! (the staff not the patients, I'm a theatre
nurse!)
Sarah

Mr Libido Incognito

Sarah wrote on 03 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> "Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
>
> > For soft chewy cookies
> > Try this one...it is quite very very good.
> > Store in a air tight container
> >
> > @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
> >
> > Damsel's Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies
> >
> > none
> >
> > 1 cup brown sugar
> > 1 cup granulated sugar
> > 1/2 cup vegetable oil
> > 1/2 cup sour cream
> > 2 large eggs
> > 1 teaspoon baking soda
> > 1/2 teaspoon salt
> > 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
> > 3 cups flour
> > 6 ounces chocolate chips
> > 1/2 cup nuts -- optional
> >
> > . Combine ingredients in order given.
> > 2. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet.
> > 3. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes.
> >

> > Source:
> > 'Jackie Fast'
> > '3 1/2 dozen'
> >

> > ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.69 **
> >

> I've got to give these a try in the next day or 2! I've even got all
> the ingredients!
> (have managed to leave some sour cream in the fridge!)
>
> Sarah

Don't make too big of a batch... as they don't keep well is the good
news.
They won't have too is the bad news...they get wolfed down right away!

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
djs0302

Sarah wrote:
> Today I made cookies with the following recipe:
> 1 cup Butter
> 1 cup sugar
> 2 eggs
> 3 tbls whole milk
> 1 tsp vanilla extract
> 2 cups all purpose flour
> 1/2 tsp baking soda
> 1/2 tsp baking powder
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 3 cups of chocolate chips.
> preheat oven 350 degrees
> Cream together the butter, sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla in mixer bowl.
> Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in another container.
> Add to the butter mixture and blend well.
> Gently stir in chocolate chips.
> cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
> Scoop out the dough by teaspoonfuls and drop on an increased cookie sheet, 1
> inch apart
> Bake until browned (about 8 minutes).
> I didn't refrigerate overnight, and found the cookies to taste fine but be
> too light, I prefer a heavier cookie.
> Was it just that I didn't refrigerate or is it something in the recipe?
> Does anyone have any tried recipes for cookies that are slightly chewy but
> quite heavy and solid not light and airy?
> Thanks
> Sarah

Omit the milk. Adding any sort of liquid, besides eggs, to a cookie
recipe will make them come out more cake-like.

Sarah

"djs0302" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Sarah wrote:
>> Today I made cookies with the following recipe:
>> 1 cup Butter
>> 1 cup sugar
>> 2 eggs
>> 3 tbls whole milk
>> 1 tsp vanilla extract
>> 2 cups all purpose flour
>> 1/2 tsp baking soda
>> 1/2 tsp baking powder
>> 1/2 tsp salt
>> 3 cups of chocolate chips.
>> preheat oven 350 degrees
>> Cream together the butter, sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla in mixer bowl.
>> Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in another
>> container.
>> Add to the butter mixture and blend well.
>> Gently stir in chocolate chips.
>> cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
>> Scoop out the dough by teaspoonfuls and drop on an increased cookie
>> sheet, 1
>> inch apart
>> Bake until browned (about 8 minutes).
>> I didn't refrigerate overnight, and found the cookies to taste fine but
>> be
>> too light, I prefer a heavier cookie.
>> Was it just that I didn't refrigerate or is it something in the recipe?
>> Does anyone have any tried recipes for cookies that are slightly chewy
>> but
>> quite heavy and solid not light and airy?
>> Thanks
>> Sarah

> Omit the milk. Adding any sort of liquid, besides eggs, to a cookie
> recipe will make them come out more cake-like.

Yeah, I'm going to try Damsels cookie recipe with a little sour cream
instead. (the one posted by Mr Libido). I know its still a liquid of sorts
but is much thicker. It also has oil instead of butter, so I'm hoping to get
the cookies of my dreams!
Sarah

Ophelia

"Sarah" > wrote in message

> Yeah, I'm going to try Damsels cookie recipe with a little sour cream
> instead. (the one posted by Mr Libido). I know its still a liquid of
> sorts but is much thicker. It also has oil instead of butter, so I'm
> hoping to get the cookies of my dreams!
> Sarah

and when you have achieved that dream I will offer to be your tester

Sarah

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Sarah" > wrote in message
>
>> Yeah, I'm going to try Damsels cookie recipe with a little sour cream
>> instead. (the one posted by Mr Libido). I know its still a liquid of
>> sorts but is much thicker. It also has oil instead of butter, so I'm
>> hoping to get the cookies of my dreams!
>> Sarah

> and when you have achieved that dream I will offer to be your tester

ooops, don't know if I added too much sour cream, but they're light and
fluffy again! Taste nice but haven't got the texture I'm after.
Once I've polished these off I'm going to try again, I think I'll search out
a recipe with no milk, I want the mixture 'shorter' and sort of lumpier if
that makes any sense!?
Well must go I've got cookies to eat!
Sarah

The Cook

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 17:45:08 GMT, "Sarah"
> wrote:

>Today I made cookies with the following recipe:
>1 cup Butter
>1 cup sugar
>2 eggs
>3 tbls whole milk
>1 tsp vanilla extract
>2 cups all purpose flour
>1/2 tsp baking soda
>1/2 tsp baking powder
>1/2 tsp salt
>3 cups of chocolate chips.
>preheat oven 350 degrees
>Cream together the butter, sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla in mixer bowl.
>Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in another container.
>Add to the butter mixture and blend well.
>Gently stir in chocolate chips.
>cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
>Scoop out the dough by teaspoonfuls and drop on an increased cookie sheet, 1
>inch apart
>Bake until browned (about 8 minutes).
>I didn't refrigerate overnight, and found the cookies to taste fine but be
>too light, I prefer a heavier cookie.
>Was it just that I didn't refrigerate or is it something in the recipe?
>Does anyone have any tried recipes for cookies that are slightly chewy but
>quite heavy and solid not light and airy?
>Thanks
>Sarah

Check out this site. It is Alton Brown's program on making chocolate
chip cookies.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show..._17114,00.html
--
Susan N.

Arri London

Sarah wrote:

> >> I don't know what the UK alternative for crisco is, does anyone have any
> >> idea?
> >>
> >> Sarah

> > Sarah, I don't think there is a direct equivalent to Crisco. Crisco is a
> > vegetable shortening which is solid at room temperature. It has a creamy,
> > somewhat fluffy, consistency. You might try pure lard, but I can't think
> > of anything else.
> >
> > --
> > Wayne Boatwright *¿*
> >
> > Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
> > Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

> I'll have a look around the dairy and non dairy in the supermarket, I think
> my mum's uses a vegetarian solid fat, instead of lard sometimes, so that
> could be a good option.
> Lard doesn't sound so good in cookies as butter or shortening!
> Sarah

The product called 'solid vegetable oil'is the equivalent of Crisco;
sold in the butter/margarine case. Pura probably make it.

Good lard works very well (and is traditional) for certain types of
biscuits/cookies!

Sarah

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> Sarah wrote on 04 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> ooops, don't know if I added too much sour cream, but they're light
>> and fluffy again! Taste nice but haven't got the texture I'm after.
>> Once I've polished these off I'm going to try again, I think I'll
>> search out a recipe with no milk, I want the mixture 'shorter' and
>> sort of lumpier if that makes any sense!?
>> Well must go I've got cookies to eat!
>> Sarah
>>

> Are you after a soft chewy cookie or a hard crunchy cookie?
>
> --
> The eyes are the mirrors....
> But the ears...Ah the ears.
> The ears keep the hat up.

Not soft but chewey, like a 'sad' cookie I supose!
Sarah

Sarah

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message

> Are you after a soft chewy cookie or a hard crunchy cookie?
>
> --
> The eyes are the mirrors....
> But the ears...Ah the ears.
> The ears keep the hat up.

Another description would be chewey like a Brownie but in cookie form.
Perhaps thats my answer, use a brownie mixture!
It would be be double chocolate, which wasn't the plan, but I think it might
be what I'm after!
Thanks, It's a bit like therapy this, exploring what you want, and coming to
answers yourself, by being pointed in the right direction!
Recipe therapy!
Sarah

Mr Libido Incognito

Sarah wrote on 05 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> "Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> >
> > Are you after a soft chewy cookie or a hard crunchy cookie?
> >
> > --
> > The eyes are the mirrors....
> > But the ears...Ah the ears.
> > The ears keep the hat up.

> Another description would be chewey like a Brownie but in cookie
> form. Perhaps thats my answer, use a brownie mixture!
> It would be be double chocolate, which wasn't the plan, but I think
> it might be what I'm after!
> Thanks, It's a bit like therapy this, exploring what you want, and
> coming to answers yourself, by being pointed in the right direction!
> Recipe therapy!
> Sarah

I believe the proper name for what you want is "bar" recipes.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Sarah

"Don Gray" > wrote in message
> In message "Sarah" > wrote:
>>

> Yes, Sarah. The product is called "Trex". It is vegetable fat ie
> shortening
> and is available all over the place. I get it at a Brit Store here in
> Belgium. I use it for making shortcrust and rough puff pastry.
>
> Don
>
> --
> Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

Thanks Don I've seen that in the supermarket and will try it next batch
Sarah

djs0302

Sarah wrote:
> "Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> >
> > Are you after a soft chewy cookie or a hard crunchy cookie?
> >
> > --
> > The eyes are the mirrors....
> > But the ears...Ah the ears.
> > The ears keep the hat up.

> Another description would be chewey like a Brownie but in cookie form.
> Perhaps thats my answer, use a brownie mixture!
> It would be be double chocolate, which wasn't the plan, but I think it might
> be what I'm after!
> Thanks, It's a bit like therapy this, exploring what you want, and coming to
> answers yourself, by being pointed in the right direction!
> Recipe therapy!
> Sarah

Along with omitting the milk I would substitute brown sugar for the
white sugar. You may want to actually increase the amount of sugar in
the recipe by as much as half a cup.

Nancy1

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 02 Sep 2005 11:17:51p, Sarah wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> Sarah, I don't think there is a direct equivalent to Crisco. Crisco is
> >> a vegetable shortening which is solid at room temperature. It has a
> >> creamy, somewhat fluffy, consistency. You might try pure lard, but I
> >> can't think of anything else.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright *=BF*
> >> ____________________________________________
> >>
> >> Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
> >> Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

> > I'll have a look around the dairy and non dairy in the supermarket, I
> > think my mum's uses a vegetarian solid fat, instead of lard sometimes,
> > so that could be a good option.
> > Lard doesn't sound so good in cookies as butter or shortening!
> > Sarah

> What about vegetable suet?

Suet is the hard fat around the kidneys and loins of mutton and beef.
Since when do veggies have kidneys and loins?

N=2E

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 06 Sep 2005 10:38:24a, Nancy1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

makes

only

that

is

>> > I'll have a look around the dairy and non dairy in the supermarket, I
>> > think my mum's uses a vegetarian solid fat, instead of lard sometimes,
>> > so that could be a good option. Lard doesn't sound so good in cookies

as
>> > butter or shortening! Sarah

>> What about vegetable suet?

> Suet is the hard fat around the kidneys and loins of mutton and beef.
> Since when do veggies have kidneys and loins?
>
> N.

I don't know when it was first developed, but I do know that it was made as
a substitute for animal suet, just as vegetable shortening (e.g., Crisco)
was made as a substitute for lard. Vegetable suet is readily available in
the UK and, perhaps, elsewhere.