Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Simple Anzac Cookies Recipe Needed

Hi Folks,

For those of you on the board who reside Down Under (Australia & NZ)
as you would all be aware, this coming Sunday is ANZAC Day. Now I am
able to just purchase a box of Anzac Cookies in the local supermarket,
but I thought this year I would go to more of an effort and try and
make my own at home. I am BY no means a great baker, so I am looking
for a fail-proof recipe that will give me cookies which are crunchy on
the outside, yet soft and moist on the inside.

If anyone out there has a simple yet yummy Anzacs recipe, could you
please share it here?!

Kind Regards and thank you in advance,
Brian
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brian Anasta" > wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> For those of you on the board who reside Down Under (Australia & NZ)
> as you would all be aware, this coming Sunday is ANZAC Day. Now I am
> able to just purchase a box of Anzac Cookies in the local supermarket,
> but I thought this year I would go to more of an effort and try and
> make my own at home. I am BY no means a great baker, so I am looking
> for a fail-proof recipe that will give me cookies which are crunchy on
> the outside, yet soft and moist on the inside.
>
> If anyone out there has a simple yet yummy Anzacs recipe, could you
> please share it here?!

Is Google broken? Try plugging in "biscuits" instead of "cookies" when you
search.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/21/2010 9:55 PM, Brian Anasta wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> For those of you on the board who reside Down Under (Australia& NZ)
> as you would all be aware, this coming Sunday is ANZAC Day. Now I am
> able to just purchase a box of Anzac Cookies in the local supermarket,
> but I thought this year I would go to more of an effort and try and
> make my own at home. I am BY no means a great baker, so I am looking
> for a fail-proof recipe that will give me cookies which are crunchy on
> the outside, yet soft and moist on the inside.
>
> If anyone out there has a simple yet yummy Anzacs recipe, could you
> please share it here?!
>
> Kind Regards and thank you in advance,
> Brian

It's an oatmeal cookie with coconut, flavored with Lyle's Golden Syrup,
or an equivalent extra-light colored molasses. And I don't think they
have any baking soda or other leavening. I had a recipe, but I can't
find it. I'll see if I can find one that looks right.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Re2: Simple Anzac Cookies Recipe Needed

On 4/21/2010 10:36 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> On 4/21/2010 9:55 PM, Brian Anasta wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> For those of you on the board who reside Down Under (Australia& NZ)
>> as you would all be aware, this coming Sunday is ANZAC Day. Now I am
>> able to just purchase a box of Anzac Cookies in the local supermarket,
>> but I thought this year I would go to more of an effort and try and
>> make my own at home. I am BY no means a great baker, so I am looking
>> for a fail-proof recipe that will give me cookies which are crunchy on
>> the outside, yet soft and moist on the inside.
>>
>> If anyone out there has a simple yet yummy Anzacs recipe, could you
>> please share it here?!
>>
>> Kind Regards and thank you in advance,
>> Brian

> It's an oatmeal cookie with coconut, flavored with Lyle's Golden Syrup,
> or an equivalent extra-light colored molasses. And I don't think they
> have any baking soda or other leavening. I had a recipe, but I can't
> find it. I'll see if I can find one that looks right.
>
> Bob

I've done some searching on the Internet, and all the recipes out there
are basically the same. And I was mistaken; the common ingredient that
is missing from ANZAC Biscuits (they don't call 'em cookies) is eggs,
not baking soda.

When I made them, I substituted sorghum syrup for the golden syrup. You
could also use ribbon cane syrup, but that's a little stronger. HTH :-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/04/10 13:46, zxcvbob wrote:
> I was mistaken; the common ingredient that
> is missing from ANZAC Biscuits (they don't call 'em cookies) is eggs,
> not baking soda.

I was going to say...

> When I made them, I substituted sorghum syrup for the golden syrup. You
> could also use ribbon cane syrup, but that's a little stronger. HTH :-)

No clue, but I've heard good things about any form of pancake syrup
being a substitute for people over the ocean from us.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://womansday.ninemsn.com.au/slid...nzacbiscuit s

They're all pretty much the same, but here's a site with pictures to make it
even simpler.

"Brian Anasta" > wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> For those of you on the board who reside Down Under (Australia & NZ)
> as you would all be aware, this coming Sunday is ANZAC Day. Now I am
> able to just purchase a box of Anzac Cookies in the local supermarket,
> but I thought this year I would go to more of an effort and try and
> make my own at home. I am BY no means a great baker, so I am looking
> for a fail-proof recipe that will give me cookies which are crunchy on
> the outside, yet soft and moist on the inside.
>
> If anyone out there has a simple yet yummy Anzacs recipe, could you
> please share it here?!
>
> Kind Regards and thank you in advance,
> Brian

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brian Anasta" > wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> For those of you on the board who reside Down Under (Australia & NZ)
> as you would all be aware, this coming Sunday is ANZAC Day. Now I am
> able to just purchase a box of Anzac Cookies in the local supermarket,
> but I thought this year I would go to more of an effort and try and
> make my own at home. I am BY no means a great baker, so I am looking
> for a fail-proof recipe that will give me cookies which are crunchy on
> the outside, yet soft and moist on the inside.
>
> If anyone out there has a simple yet yummy Anzacs recipe, could you
> please share it here?!
>
> Kind Regards and thank you in advance,
> Brian

Several

# 1

1 1/2 c. flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/2 c. margarine
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
3 tbsp. milk
1 c. light raisins
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1/4 c. chopped red candied cherries

Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and
allspice. Set aside. In mixing bowl, beat margarine 30 seconds. Add sugar
and beat until fluffy. Add egg and milk, beat well. Add dry ingredients to
beaten mixture and beat until well combined. Stir in raisins, nuts and
cherries. Drop dough by teaspoon on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 375
degrees for 3 - 10 minutes.

# 2

1 c. rolled oats
1 c. plain flour
1 c. sugar
3/4 c. dessicated coconut
2 tbsp. golden syrup
1/2 c. margarine or butter
1/2 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp. boiling water
Pinch salt

1. Mix oats, flour, sugar and coconut together. 2. Melt syrup and butter
together. 3. Mix soda with boiling water and add to melted butter and
syrup. 4. Add to dry ingredients. 5. Place tablespoonfuls of mixture on
greased slide. 6. Bake in slow oven at 300-325 degrees for 20 minutes.

# 3

4 oz. margarine
2 tbsp. corn syrup
1 c. soft brown sugar
3/4 c. coconut, shredded
1 c. rolled oats
1 c. self-rising flour
2 tbsp. boiling water

Melt margarine and syrup in pan. Add all other ingredients and mix well.
Place spoonfuls on cookie sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes.

# 4

1 c. sugar
1 c. flour
1 c. coconut
1 c. rolled oats
1 egg, optional
4 oz. butter
2 tbsp. molasses
1 tsp. soda
2 tbsp. boiling water

Mix dry ingredients well. Melt butter and molasses together, add water and
soda. Pour into center of dry ingredients. Mix to a moist but firm
consistency. Drop by teaspoon on to cool, greased trays. Bake in slow oven
(325 degrees) for 20 minutes until golden brown. Cool for a few minutes
before removing to wire racks.

That should do I have a few more.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 23, 3:26*am, "Dimitri" > wrote:

> Several
>
> # 1
>
> *1 1/2 c. flour
> 3/4 tsp. baking powder
> 3/4 tsp. baking soda
> 1/4 tsp. salt
> 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
> 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
> 1/4 tsp. allspice
> 1/2 c. margarine
> 1/2 c. sugar
> 1 egg
> 3 tbsp. milk
> 1 c. light raisins
> 1/2 c. chopped walnuts
> 1/4 c. chopped red candied cherries
>
> That should do I have a few more.
>
> Dimitri

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all so much for your suggestions in regards to Anzac Biscuit
recipes. I know I mentioned in my OP that I was looking for a simple
recipe, but upon seeing Dimitri's, I decided to throw caution to the
wind and give the above method a try. Now, I know it is far from a
traditional Anzac Biscuit recipe, but wow, the end product I found was
delicious! The variety of spices, along with the cherries and walnuts
in particular, gave it not only a lovely flavor, but also great
texture. I am gonna keep this recipe as I am sure I will make it many
times again.

I will also try one of the more traditional Anzacs recipes tonite,
like the one suggested by Michael in particular. I DO love them with a
nice cup of tea - especially dipping them into the hot liquid as they
go all soft and mushy!

Thanks again guys and for those of you Down Under - have a nice Anzac
Day
(Lest We Forget)

Kind Regards,
Brian Anasta

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brian Anasta > wrote in news:927b86b6-0408-464c-
:

> Hi Folks,
>
> For those of you on the board who reside Down Under (Australia & NZ)
> as you would all be aware, this coming Sunday is ANZAC Day. Now I am
> able to just purchase a box of Anzac Cookies in the local supermarket,
> but I thought this year I would go to more of an effort and try and
> make my own at home. I am BY no means a great baker, so I am looking
> for a fail-proof recipe that will give me cookies which are crunchy on
> the outside, yet soft and moist on the inside.
>
> If anyone out there has a simple yet yummy Anzacs recipe, could you
> please share it here?!
>
> Kind Regards and thank you in advance,
> Brian

http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifest...-twists-on-an-
aussie-icon/story-e6frer6o-1225855859707

http://tinyurl.com/29wz6m7

Fresh takes on an Aussie icon

CRANBERRY & WHITE CHOCOLATE ANZAC BISCUITS

Makes 26

Preparation time: 20 minutes (+ 10 minutes cooling + 5 minutes setting
time)

Cooking time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

1 cup plain flour

1 cup good-quality whole rolled oats

3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar

2/3 cup desiccated coconut

1/2 cup dried cranberries

1 tsp ground cinnamon

125g butter

2 tbsp honey

2 tbsp water

1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

200g white chocolate melts

Method:

Preheat oven to 160C. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper.

Combine the flour, oats, sugar, coconut, cranberries and cinnamon in a
large bowl.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Stir the butter, honey and water in a small saucepan over medium heat
until the butter melts and the mixture looks smooth.

Stir in the bicarbonate of soda. Add the saucepan mixture to the oat
mixture and stir until well combined.

Roll level tablespoonfuls of the mixture into balls and place, about 5cm
apart, on the prepared trays.

Flatten until about 1cm thick. Bake, swapping trays to upper and lower
oven shelfs halfway through cooking, for 15 minutes or until light
golden. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool before transferring to a wire
rack to cool completely.

Place the chocolate in a small heatproof bowl over a saucepan of
simmering water (make sure the water doesn't touch the bowl) and stir
with a metal spoon until melted.

Use a flat-bladed knife to spread the chocolate over the base of each
biscuit.

Set aside for 5 minutes, or until set.

DOUBLE CHOC ANZAC BISCUITS

Makes 32

Preparation time: 20 minutes (+ 10 minutes cooling and 5 minutes setting
time)

Cooking time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

1 cup plain flour

150g dark choc bits

1 cup good-quality whole

rolled oats

1 cup desiccated coconut

1/2 cup, firmly packed brown sugar

1/4 cup caster sugar

2 tbsp cocoa powder

125g butter

2 tbsp golden syrup

2 tbsp water

1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

150g dark chocolate melts

Method:

Preheat oven to 160C. Line 2 large baking trays with non-stick baking
paper.

Combine the flour, choc bits, oats, coconut, sugars and cocoa powder in
a large bowl.

Stir the butter, golden syrup and water in a small saucepan over medium
heat until the butter melts and the mixture is smooth.

Stir in the bicarbonate of soda. Add to the oat mixture and stir until
well combined.

Roll level tablespoonfuls of the mixture into balls and place, about 5cm
apart, on the prepared trays. Flatten until about 1cm thick. Bake,
swapping trays to upper and lower oven shelves halfway through cooking,
for 15 minutes or until crisp. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool before
transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Place the dark chocolate melts in a small heatproof bowl over a saucepan
of simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water) and stir
with a metal spoon until melted. Spoon into a small sealable plastic
bag. Seal and cut the corner from the bag to make a small hole. Drizzle
the chocolate over the top of the biscuits. Set aside for 5 minutes or
until set.

ORANGE & ALMOND ANZAC BISCUITS

Makes 26

Preparation time: 20 minutes (+ 10 minutes cooling time)

Cooking time: 25 minutes 1 cup plain flour

Ingredients:

1 cup good-quality whole rolled oats

65g 1 cup shredded coconut

95g 1 cup flaked almonds

3/4 cup, firmly packed brown sugar

1 tbsp finely grated orange rind

125g butter

2 tbsp golden syrup

2 tbsp water

1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Method:

Preheat oven to 160 C. Line 2 large baking trays with non-stick baking
paper.

Combine the flour, oats, coconut, almonds, sugar and orange rind in a
large bowl.

Stir the butter, golden syrup and water in a small saucepan over medium
heat until the butter melts and the mixture is smooth.

Stir in the bicarbonate of soda. Add to the oat mixture and stir until
well combined.

Roll level tablespoonfuls of the mixture into balls and place, about 5cm
apart, on the lined trays. Flatten until about 1cm thick. Bake, swapping
trays to upper and lower oven shelves halfway through cooking, for 18
minutes or until light golden.

Set aside for 10 minutes to cool before transferring to a wire rack to
cool completely.

Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lyle's Golden Syrup Stop & Shop(was Simple Anzac Cookies RecipeNeeded)

On 4/21/2010 11:36 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> On 4/21/2010 9:55 PM, Brian Anasta wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> For those of you on the board who reside Down Under (Australia& NZ)
>> as you would all be aware, this coming Sunday is ANZAC Day. Now I am
>> able to just purchase a box of Anzac Cookies in the local supermarket,
>> but I thought this year I would go to more of an effort and try and
>> make my own at home. I am BY no means a great baker, so I am looking
>> for a fail-proof recipe that will give me cookies which are crunchy on
>> the outside, yet soft and moist on the inside.
>>
>> If anyone out there has a simple yet yummy Anzacs recipe, could you
>> please share it here?!
>>
>> Kind Regards and thank you in advance,
>> Brian

> It's an oatmeal cookie with coconut, flavored with Lyle's Golden Syrup,
> or an equivalent extra-light colored molasses. And I don't think they
> have any baking soda or other leavening. I had a recipe, but I can't
> find it. I'll see if I can find one that looks right.
>
> Bob

FWIW, I have in my hand an 11 ounce bottle of Lyle's Golden Syrup,
purchased at Stop & Shop in Enfield, CT, today, for the lordly sum of
$3.99. It in the baking aisle right next to the Karo Light. The only
ingredient listed is "cane sugar syrup", nothing else. It's also marked
"do not refrigerate". The flavor is about what one would expect, much
of a muchness with the better grades of non-maple pancake syrup of my
pre-high-fructose-corn-syrup youth, which is to say that it's pretty
good and today even a little bit exotic.

And the oven is warming for ANZAC cookies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:
> On 4/21/2010 11:36 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
>> On 4/21/2010 9:55 PM, Brian Anasta wrote:
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> For those of you on the board who reside Down Under (Australia& NZ)
>>> as you would all be aware, this coming Sunday is ANZAC Day. Now I am
>>> able to just purchase a box of Anzac Cookies in the local supermarket,
>>> but I thought this year I would go to more of an effort and try and
>>> make my own at home. I am BY no means a great baker, so I am looking
>>> for a fail-proof recipe that will give me cookies which are crunchy on
>>> the outside, yet soft and moist on the inside.
>>>
>>> If anyone out there has a simple yet yummy Anzacs recipe, could you
>>> please share it here?!
>>>
>>> Kind Regards and thank you in advance,
>>> Brian

>> It's an oatmeal cookie with coconut, flavored with Lyle's Golden Syrup,
>> or an equivalent extra-light colored molasses. And I don't think they
>> have any baking soda or other leavening. I had a recipe, but I can't
>> find it. I'll see if I can find one that looks right.
>>
>> Bob

> FWIW, I have in my hand an 11 ounce bottle of Lyle's Golden Syrup,
> purchased at Stop & Shop in Enfield, CT, today, for the lordly sum of
> $3.99. It in the baking aisle right next to the Karo Light. The only
> ingredient listed is "cane sugar syrup", nothing else. It's also marked
> "do not refrigerate". The flavor is about what one would expect, much
> of a muchness with the better grades of non-maple pancake syrup of my
> pre-high-fructose-corn-syrup youth, which is to say that it's pretty
> good and today even a little bit exotic.
>
> And the oven is warming for ANZAC cookies.

Be aware the best are still a little soft in the middle but the outer
has a snap and they sorta melt when eaten
very easy to over bake and make to hard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/23/2010 10:52 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
> On 4/21/2010 11:36 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
>> On 4/21/2010 9:55 PM, Brian Anasta wrote:
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> For those of you on the board who reside Down Under (Australia& NZ)
>>> as you would all be aware, this coming Sunday is ANZAC Day. Now I am
>>> able to just purchase a box of Anzac Cookies in the local supermarket,
>>> but I thought this year I would go to more of an effort and try and
>>> make my own at home. I am BY no means a great baker, so I am looking
>>> for a fail-proof recipe that will give me cookies which are crunchy on
>>> the outside, yet soft and moist on the inside.
>>>
>>> If anyone out there has a simple yet yummy Anzacs recipe, could you
>>> please share it here?!
>>>
>>> Kind Regards and thank you in advance,
>>> Brian

>> It's an oatmeal cookie with coconut, flavored with Lyle's Golden Syrup,
>> or an equivalent extra-light colored molasses. And I don't think they
>> have any baking soda or other leavening. I had a recipe, but I can't
>> find it. I'll see if I can find one that looks right.
>>
>> Bob

> FWIW, I have in my hand an 11 ounce bottle of Lyle's Golden Syrup,
> purchased at Stop & Shop in Enfield, CT, today, for the lordly sum of
> $3.99. It in the baking aisle right next to the Karo Light. The only
> ingredient listed is "cane sugar syrup", nothing else. It's also marked
> "do not refrigerate". The flavor is about what one would expect, much of
> a muchness with the better grades of non-maple pancake syrup of my
> pre-high-fructose-corn-syrup youth, which is to say that it's pretty
> good and today even a little bit exotic.
>
> And the oven is warming for ANZAC cookies.

Used King Arthur all purpose flour and probably because of the high
gluten content (or possibly to the smaller size of the US tablespoon)
they made up on the dry side using the "Aussie Slang" recipe--not sure
how much extra water I ended up adding. Next time I'm going to double
up on the golden syrup and butter and maybe they'll need less water added.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/23/2010 12:00 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
> On 4/23/2010 10:52 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

>>> It's an oatmeal cookie with coconut, flavored with Lyle's Golden Syrup,
>>> or an equivalent extra-light colored molasses. And I don't think they
>>> have any baking soda or other leavening. I had a recipe, but I can't
>>> find it. I'll see if I can find one that looks right.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> FWIW, I have in my hand an 11 ounce bottle of Lyle's Golden Syrup,
>> purchased at Stop & Shop in Enfield, CT, today, for the lordly sum of
>> $3.99. It in the baking aisle right next to the Karo Light. The only
>> ingredient listed is "cane sugar syrup", nothing else. It's also marked
>> "do not refrigerate". The flavor is about what one would expect, much of
>> a muchness with the better grades of non-maple pancake syrup of my
>> pre-high-fructose-corn-syrup youth, which is to say that it's pretty
>> good and today even a little bit exotic.
>>
>> And the oven is warming for ANZAC cookies.

> Used King Arthur all purpose flour and probably because of the high
> gluten content (or possibly to the smaller size of the US tablespoon)
> they made up on the dry side using the "Aussie Slang" recipe--not sure
> how much extra water I ended up adding. Next time I'm going to double up
> on the golden syrup and butter and maybe they'll need less water added.

And they turned out OK--I think I overcooked them a hair, but they
melted down and flattened nicely.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"J. Clarke" > wrote:

> On 4/21/2010 11:36 PM, zxcvbob wrote:

> > It's an oatmeal cookie with coconut, flavored with Lyle's Golden Syrup,
> > or an equivalent extra-light colored molasses. And I don't think they
> > have any baking soda or other leavening. I had a recipe, but I can't
> > find it. I'll see if I can find one that looks right.
> >
> > Bob

> FWIW, I have in my hand an 11 ounce bottle of Lyle's Golden Syrup,
> purchased at Stop & Shop in Enfield, CT, today, for the lordly sum of
> $3.99. It in the baking aisle right next to the Karo Light. The only
> ingredient listed is "cane sugar syrup", nothing else. It's also marked
> "do not refrigerate". The flavor is about what one would expect, much
> of a muchness with the better grades of non-maple pancake syrup of my
> pre-high-fructose-corn-syrup youth, which is to say that it's pretty
> good and today even a little bit exotic.
>
> And the oven is warming for ANZAC cookies.

If you can get your hands on a bottle or tin of Chelsea golden syrup
from New Zealand (one of the places that originated ANZAC biscuits), IMO
it knocks Lyle's weak boring syrup into a cocked hat.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases