Peter Aitken

Default REC: Bluefish cakes

Our latest fishing trip resulting in some bluefish. Here's an
oriental-themed idea I came up with.

1 lb bluefish fillets
1/2c chopped scallions
1 TB each minced ginger and garlic
1 slice stale white bread
****************
1/3c dry bread crumbs
1/2 TB soy sauce
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
1 egg
salt if needed

Put the first group of ingredients thru the fine blade of a meat grinder.
Put the bread thru last to force all the fish out. Mix with other
ingredients. Cook a small bit in the microwave and taste for salt, adding if
needed. Refrigerate for at least 30 min. Form into 3" diameter patties about
1/2" thick and panfry until done.

--
Peter Aitken

Sheldon

Peter Aitken wrote:
> Our latest fishing trip resulting in some bluefish. Here's an
> oriental-themed idea I came up with.

I don't think so, bluefish is way too oily for fish cakes... it's best
smoked but is acceptible grilled too, grilled long and slow to render
out it's fat. Bluefish is a popular sport fish because pound for pound
it's the fiercest fighting fish in the world, but one of the least
popular eating fish... on Lung Guyland it's typically ground up for
chum or used to bait lobster and crab traps... even though abundant
it's rarely on restaurant menus, in fact they're far more difficult to
give away to neighbors than zukes.

If you insist on trying your bluefish cakes I would strongly urge you
to light off the grill and do them outdoors... check the wind direction
too.

Sheldon

Doug Kanter

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> they're far more difficult to
> give away to neighbors than zukes.

Probably because on day #2 out of the water, it gets pretty gnarly. Other
kinds of fish do better when iced quickly. People should only keep the
bluefish they can eat immediately, and throw back the rest. But, people
being people......never mind.

aem

Sheldon wrote:
> Peter Aitken wrote:
> > Our latest fishing trip resulting in some bluefish. Here's an
> > oriental-themed idea I came up with.

> I don't think so, bluefish is way too oily for fish cakes... it's best
> smoked but is acceptible grilled too, grilled long and slow to render
> out it's fat. Bluefish is a popular sport fish because pound for pound
> it's the fiercest fighting fish in the world, but one of the least
> popular eating fish... on Lung Guyland it's typically ground up for
> chum or used to bait lobster and crab traps... even though abundant
> it's rarely on restaurant menus, in fact they're far more difficult to
> give away to neighbors than zukes.
>
> If you insist on trying your bluefish cakes I would strongly urge you
> to light off the grill and do them outdoors... check the wind direction
> too.

Yes. On a visit with friends to Martha's Vineyard once, we caught some
bluefish. Asked for advice on cooking from locals, who said much the
same as Sheldon. We marinated the fish for about 45 min. in oil, lemon
juice, lots of garlic and some (don't remember which) herbs, then
grilled it over charcoal. It was okay but if we hadn't caught it
ourselves I don't know that we would have liked it. The fishing was
great fun, but if I ever do it again it'll be catch 'n release. -aem

Doug Kanter

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Sheldon wrote:
>> Peter Aitken wrote:
>> > Our latest fishing trip resulting in some bluefish. Here's an
>> > oriental-themed idea I came up with.

>> I don't think so, bluefish is way too oily for fish cakes... it's best
>> smoked but is acceptible grilled too, grilled long and slow to render
>> out it's fat. Bluefish is a popular sport fish because pound for pound
>> it's the fiercest fighting fish in the world, but one of the least
>> popular eating fish... on Lung Guyland it's typically ground up for
>> chum or used to bait lobster and crab traps... even though abundant
>> it's rarely on restaurant menus, in fact they're far more difficult to
>> give away to neighbors than zukes.
>>
>> If you insist on trying your bluefish cakes I would strongly urge you
>> to light off the grill and do them outdoors... check the wind direction
>> too.
>>

> Yes. On a visit with friends to Martha's Vineyard once, we caught some
> bluefish. Asked for advice on cooking from locals, who said much the
> same as Sheldon. We marinated the fish for about 45 min. in oil, lemon
> juice, lots of garlic and some (don't remember which) herbs, then
> grilled it over charcoal. It was okay but if we hadn't caught it
> ourselves I don't know that we would have liked it. The fishing was
> great fun, but if I ever do it again it'll be catch 'n release. -aem

I wonder if their taste changes depending on the time of year. I've only
caught them in mid to late October, and they've been delicious, assuming the
grey line was removed. Didn't need heavy flavoring, just butter and a little
lemon. Usually caught in Montauk.

aem

Doug Kanter wrote:
> I wonder if their taste changes depending on the time of year. I've only
> caught them in mid to late October, and they've been delicious, assuming the
> grey line was removed. Didn't need heavy flavoring, just butter and a little
> lemon. Usually caught in Montauk.

I dunno. We had ours in the summer, maybe July, I don't remember
exactly. I didn't mean to imply that the flavor was bad, only that
it's quite oily and 'heavy'. -aem

Peter Aitken

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> I wonder if their taste changes depending on the time of year. I've only
>> caught them in mid to late October, and they've been delicious, assuming
>> the
>> grey line was removed. Didn't need heavy flavoring, just butter and a
>> little
>> lemon. Usually caught in Montauk.

> I dunno. We had ours in the summer, maybe July, I don't remember
> exactly. I didn't mean to imply that the flavor was bad, only that
> it's quite oily and 'heavy'. -aem

If you get a fresh-caught bluefish, gutted right away, kept iced, never
frozen, and cooked within a day or two, it is not nearly as "fishy" as
people generally think. It does not keep well or freeze well.

--
Peter Aitken

Dale Thompson

In article .com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
> > Peter Aitken wrote:
> > > Our latest fishing trip resulting in some bluefish. Here's an
> > > oriental-themed idea I came up with.

> > I don't think so, bluefish is way too oily for fish cakes... it's best
> > smoked but is acceptible grilled too, grilled long and slow to render
> > out it's fat. Bluefish is a popular sport fish because pound for pound
> > it's the fiercest fighting fish in the world, but one of the least
> > popular eating fish... on Lung Guyland it's typically ground up for
> > chum or used to bait lobster and crab traps... even though abundant
> > it's rarely on restaurant menus, in fact they're far more difficult to
> > give away to neighbors than zukes.
> >
> > If you insist on trying your bluefish cakes I would strongly urge you
> > to light off the grill and do them outdoors... check the wind direction
> > too.
> >

> Yes. On a visit with friends to Martha's Vineyard once, we caught some
> bluefish. Asked for advice on cooking from locals, who said much the
> same as Sheldon. We marinated the fish for about 45 min. in oil, lemon
> juice, lots of garlic and some (don't remember which) herbs, then
> grilled it over charcoal. It was okay but if we hadn't caught it
> ourselves I don't know that we would have liked it. The fishing was
> great fun, but if I ever do it again it'll be catch 'n release. -aem

Your problem is you are catching fish that are too big! (Yes, I hear
all your fishermen cringe.) Seriously, though, we catch small bluefish
surf fishing from the beach in Delaware in October. They are 15 inches
or so and filleted and sauteed are very good.

The disappointment was the sea bass we caught. People told us it was a
real treasure, but I found the flesh too soft.

Anyway, take your pictures of the big bluefish then throw them back and
keep the little ones to eat.

Rosemary
--
To e-mail me remove the obvious before @ and change sinuswave to sinewave.

More Bluefish Dan Logcher[_1_] Sushi 9 24-10-2007 05:53 PM
Bluefish Sashimi Dan Logcher[_1_] Sushi 33 07-10-2007 03:33 AM
Bluefish recipe Robin General Cooking 12 17-02-2007 01:14 PM
Bluefish Morris General Cooking 28 04-10-2006 03:40 AM
Bluefish With A Mustard Crust Hahabogus Diabetic 0 01-11-2004 10:59 PM