Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bluefish

Where can I find a recipe for baking bluefish? I just put felids on a sheet
and bake them. There must be a better way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Morris wrote:
> Where can I find a recipe for baking bluefish? I just put felids on a sheet
> and bake them. There must be a better way.

Fillets?

Pound for pound bluefish is the best fighting fish on the planet... but
it's not very good eating, rarely if ever is it on a seafood
restaurant menu... its high fat content makes it best smoked or
grilled outdoors... but typically it's ground up and used for chum.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "Morris" > said:

> Where can I find a recipe for baking bluefish? I just put felids on a sheet
> and bake them. There must be a better way.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=bluefish

Or:

http://search.allrecipes.com/recipe/quick.
aspx?q1=bluefish&lnkid=65&image1.x=0&image1.y=0

Or:

http://www.recipesource.com/cgi-bin/search.
cgi?search_string=bluefish&imageField.x=0&imageFie ld.y=0

And I'm hoping that "felids" means "fillets"...

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Morris" > wrote:

> Where can I find a recipe for baking bluefish? I just put felids on a sheet
> and bake them. There must be a better way.

FYI: In these days of the world wide web, whenever a question arises
about where information of any kind can be found, the first thing to do
is to go to http://www.google.com and look. In your case, I suggest you
do a search for "bluefish recipes."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Morris wrote:
>> Where can I find a recipe for baking bluefish? I just put felids on a
>> sheet
>> and bake them. There must be a better way.

> Fillets?
>
> Pound for pound bluefish is the best fighting fish on the planet... but
> it's not very good eating, rarely if ever is it on a seafood
> restaurant menu... its high fat content makes it best smoked or
> grilled outdoors... but typically it's ground up and used for chum.

Nonsense. Bluefish just has a MUCH shorter window of freshness than other
fish. It's offered in plenty of restaurants *IF* they are close enough to
the source that the fish is available fresh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
. ..
> On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 12:15:00 GMT, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>
>> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>>> Fillets?
>>>
>>> Pound for pound bluefish is the best fighting fish on the planet... but
>>> it's not very good eating, rarely if ever is it on a seafood
>>> restaurant menu... its high fat content makes it best smoked or
>>> grilled outdoors... but typically it's ground up and used for chum.
>>>

>> Nonsense. Bluefish just has a MUCH shorter window of freshness than other
>> fish. It's offered in plenty of restaurants *IF* they are close enough to
>> the source that the fish is available fresh.

> Why is the window of freshness shorter? When we catch 'em (we call them
> Skipjacks) we always release them. You can eat most any fish but some are
> known to be more desireable. King Mackerel is another one that is fun to
> catch but not my favorite for eating. One guys bait is the other guys
> catch.

Even when properly stored on (and under) ice, as any fresh fish should be,
the taste of bluefish seems to change in about 24 hours. It doesn't bother
ME, but it does some people. I don't know the biochemical reasons for it.
The standard explanation is "because it's oilier than flounder and many
other fish", but I'm not so sure that's an accurate reason. Some sources say
bluefish will be more stabile in storage if the lateral line is removed, but
who knows.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Morris wrote:
> > Where can I find a recipe for baking bluefish? I just put felids on a sheet
> > and bake them. There must be a better way.

> Fillets?
>
> Pound for pound bluefish is the best fighting fish on the planet... but
> it's not very good eating, rarely if ever is it on a seafood
> restaurant menu... its high fat content makes it best smoked or
> grilled outdoors... but typically it's ground up and used for chum.

Then you're grinding up some of the best eating you'll ever have.
Unless there's more than one "bluefish", you've been told wrong. Some
of the best seafood meals I've ever eaten were bluefish. I still
remember a family friend serving it when I was a kid, when I hated
fish. I loved it. It was stuffed and baked and I still remember that
meal close to 50 years later. One of the problems is that it is very
bony, and it is on the fatty side, but properly prepared, it's
fantastic.I've seen it on menus at good seafood restaurants and ordered
it a few times. Only once has it been as good as what Ms. Grant served
us many years ago. I'd love to find a good restaurant that serves it
today!

Stop grinding it up, google for a good recipe, and enjoy a really great
fish dinner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"salgud" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Sheldon wrote:
>> Morris wrote:
>> > Where can I find a recipe for baking bluefish? I just put felids on a
>> > sheet
>> > and bake them. There must be a better way.

>> Fillets?
>>
>> Pound for pound bluefish is the best fighting fish on the planet... but
>> it's not very good eating, rarely if ever is it on a seafood
>> restaurant menu... its high fat content makes it best smoked or
>> grilled outdoors... but typically it's ground up and used for chum.

> Then you're grinding up some of the best eating you'll ever have.
> Unless there's more than one "bluefish", you've been told wrong. Some
> of the best seafood meals I've ever eaten were bluefish. I still
> remember a family friend serving it when I was a kid, when I hated
> fish. I loved it. It was stuffed and baked and I still remember that
> meal close to 50 years later. One of the problems is that it is very
> bony, and it is on the fatty side, but properly prepared, it's
> fantastic.I've seen it on menus at good seafood restaurants and ordered
> it a few times. Only once has it been as good as what Ms. Grant served
> us many years ago. I'd love to find a good restaurant that serves it
> today!

Lots of places serve it nicely, from Maine down to Long Island.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Morris wrote:
>> Where can I find a recipe for baking bluefish? I just put felids on a sheet
>> and bake them. There must be a better way.

> Fillets?
>
> Pound for pound bluefish is the best fighting fish on the planet... but
> it's not very good eating, rarely if ever is it on a seafood
> restaurant menu... its high fat content makes it best smoked or
> grilled outdoors... but typically it's ground up and used for chum.

Sheldon's right. When we lived on the coast, striped bass and flounder
or fluke were very welcome; bluefish was donated to the neighbors.
Even our cat disliked it.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "salgud" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Sheldon wrote:
> >>
> >> Fillets?
> >>
> >> Pound for pound bluefish is the best fighting fish on the planet... but
> >> it's not very good eating, rarely if ever is it on a seafood
> >> restaurant menu... its high fat content makes it best smoked or
> >> grilled outdoors... but typically it's ground up and used for chum.

> > Then you're grinding up some of the best eating you'll ever have.
> > Unless there's more than one "bluefish", you've been told wrong. Some
> > of the best seafood meals I've ever eaten were bluefish. I still
> > remember a family friend serving it when I was a kid, when I hated
> > fish. I loved it. It was stuffed and baked and I still remember that
> > meal close to 50 years later. One of the problems is that it is very
> > bony, and it is on the fatty side, but properly prepared, it's
> > fantastic.I've seen it on menus at good seafood restaurants and ordered
> > it a few times. Only once has it been as good as what Ms. Grant served
> > us many years ago. I'd love to find a good restaurant that serves it
> > today!

> Lots of places serve it nicely, from Maine down to Long Island.

Next time I get to the east coast, I'll have to remember to look for
it. I always eat as much fresh seafood when I'm back there as I can.
It's pretty expensive out here, especially for the really good stuff
you easterners tend to take for granted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"salgud" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> "salgud" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>> > Then you're grinding up some of the best eating you'll ever have.
>> > Unless there's more than one "bluefish", you've been told wrong. Some
>> > of the best seafood meals I've ever eaten were bluefish. I still
>> > remember a family friend serving it when I was a kid, when I hated
>> > fish. I loved it. It was stuffed and baked and I still remember that
>> > meal close to 50 years later. One of the problems is that it is very
>> > bony, and it is on the fatty side, but properly prepared, it's
>> > fantastic.I've seen it on menus at good seafood restaurants and ordered
>> > it a few times. Only once has it been as good as what Ms. Grant served
>> > us many years ago. I'd love to find a good restaurant that serves it
>> > today!

>> Lots of places serve it nicely, from Maine down to Long Island.

> Next time I get to the east coast, I'll have to remember to look for
> it. I always eat as much fresh seafood when I'm back there as I can.
> It's pretty expensive out here, especially for the really good stuff
> you easterners tend to take for granted.

Bluefish is caught in May-June as they move up the coast, and
October-November as they move south. If you wanna feel like you've gone to
bluefish (and beach) heaven, find a way to spend 3-4 days in Montauk, at the
end of Long Island. Beautiful, quiet and cheap off-season.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Puester wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > Pound for pound bluefish is the best fighting fish on the planet... but
> > it's not very good eating, rarely if ever is it on a seafood
> > restaurant menu... its high fat content makes it best smoked or
> > grilled outdoors... but typically it's ground up and used for chum.
> >

> Sheldon's right. When we lived on the coast, striped bass and flounder
> or fluke were very welcome; bluefish was donated to the neighbors.
> Even our cat disliked it.

I agree, though I've had it only once. A friend and I chartered a
half-day fishing out of Martha's Vineyard and the skipper found us a
school of bluefish. We had tremendous fun with them, released most,
but the skipper took one good one and we took two back to the house
(two families). My friend is the better fish cook, and he gave these a
little bit of a marinade and grilled them over charcoal. They were
okay, but they are very oily and very strongly flavored. Definitely
not everyone's cup of tea, I would think. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Puester wrote:
>> Sheldon wrote:
>> >
>> > Pound for pound bluefish is the best fighting fish on the planet... but
>> > it's not very good eating, rarely if ever is it on a seafood
>> > restaurant menu... its high fat content makes it best smoked or
>> > grilled outdoors... but typically it's ground up and used for chum.
>> >

>> Sheldon's right. When we lived on the coast, striped bass and flounder
>> or fluke were very welcome; bluefish was donated to the neighbors.
>> Even our cat disliked it.
>>

> I agree, though I've had it only once. A friend and I chartered a
> half-day fishing out of Martha's Vineyard and the skipper found us a
> school of bluefish. We had tremendous fun with them, released most,
> but the skipper took one good one and we took two back to the house
> (two families). My friend is the better fish cook, and he gave these a
> little bit of a marinade and grilled them over charcoal. They were
> okay, but they are very oily and very strongly flavored. Definitely
> not everyone's cup of tea, I would think. -aem

If you ever have the opportunity to try it again and you're cooking it
yourself, look for a line of grey near the center of each fillet. Carefully
remove it with a very sharp knife. You'll probably like the fish better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote

> Puester wrote:

>> Sheldon's right. When we lived on the coast, striped bass and flounder
>> or fluke were very welcome; bluefish was donated to the neighbors.
>> Even our cat disliked it.
>>

> I agree, though I've had it only once. A friend and I chartered a
> half-day fishing out of Martha's Vineyard and the skipper found us a
> school of bluefish. We had tremendous fun with them, released most,
> but the skipper took one good one and we took two back to the house
> (two families). My friend is the better fish cook, and he gave these a
> little bit of a marinade and grilled them over charcoal. They were
> okay, but they are very oily and very strongly flavored. Definitely
> not everyone's cup of tea, I would think.

Ugh, we were the neighbors Gloria mentioned. We hated seeing
Mr. Gough coming over with that friggin fish. Bluefish, you can
have mine. Strong fishy fish.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Morris wrote:
> >> Where can I find a recipe for baking bluefish? I just put felids on a sheet
> >> and bake them. There must be a better way.

> > Fillets?
> >
> > Pound for pound bluefish is the best fighting fish on the planet... but
> > it's not very good eating, rarely if ever is it on a seafood
> > restaurant menu... its high fat content makes it best smoked or
> > grilled outdoors... but typically it's ground up and used for chum.
> >

> Sheldon's right. When we lived on the coast, striped bass and flounder
> or fluke were very welcome; bluefish was donated to the neighbors.
> Even our cat disliked it.

All correct... living on Lung Guyland most of my life I know
bluefish... its far, FAR easier to give away bushels of zukes in July.
I went fishing for blues often, for sport... the shark party boats
took all the bluefish for chum. Even cleaned and filleted I couldn't
give it away. New England buefish are analogous to West Coast
mackeral... I'd surf fish early morning right after getting off the
Lockheed Burbank night shift... with a grouping of treble hooks I could
pull in 4, 5, 6 at a time, not even any bait, just a sparkly spoon
spinner... filled up a big burlap sack in no time (an hour), still
alive I'd toss em all back. No one would take those oily things.. but
boy could they fight.

Only the Brooklyn WOPS would eat bluefish, but then they'd eat anything
smelly... WOPs ate polluted Mill Basin horseshoe crab too.... why do
you think they have those back yard kitchens.

I don't ever cook any kind of seafood indoors, that's why there are
outdoor grills and seafood restaurants... only the lowest of the low
slum dwellers cook fish where they live. I mean like why would you
want all your furnishings and clothing to stink like fish... may as
well not bathe, oh, yoose don't.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 14:11:36 GMT, jay wrote:
>
> > I guess you did answer his/her question but it is still ok (or is it not)
> > to discuss food/cooking/recipes here and he/she may have search for a
> > *felids* recipe. Even google can't figure out what a felids is.

> Wild cats?

I'm thinking wild pussy.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote

... ate polluted Mill Basin horseshoe crab too.... why do
> you think they have those back yard kitchens.

What on earth is there to eat on a horseshoe crab?
Even the huge ones have tiny legs and no apparent
meat anywhere else. And they are creepy looking.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:

> Sheldon wrote
>
> ... ate polluted Mill Basin horseshoe crab too.... why do
> > you think they have those back yard kitchens.

> What on earth is there to eat on a horseshoe crab?
> Even the huge ones have tiny legs and no apparent
> meat anywhere else. And they are creepy looking.

And they aren't really crabs. That's a marketing term
invented by the vast horseshoe crab industry.

Quoting from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_crab

"The horseshoe crab (Limulus polyphemus) is a chelicerate
arthropod, therefore it is more closely related to
spiders and scorpions than crabs."

They are farmed for human consumption:

"There are many fish farms that raise horseshoe crabs
to be sold to the public as a delicacy."

Whoa! It also sez:

"A single horseshoe crab can be worth $2,500 over
its lifetime for periodically drawing its blood
for this extract."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Puester wrote:
>>
>> Sheldon wrote
>>
>> ... ate polluted Mill Basin horseshoe crab too.... why do
>> > you think they have those back yard kitchens.

>> What on earth is there to eat on a horseshoe crab?
>> Even the huge ones have tiny legs and no apparent
>> meat anywhere else. And they are creepy looking.

> And they aren't really crabs. That's a marketing term
> invented by the vast horseshoe crab industry.
>
> Quoting from:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_crab
>
> "The horseshoe crab (Limulus polyphemus) is a chelicerate
> arthropod, therefore it is more closely related to
> spiders and scorpions than crabs."
>
> They are farmed for human consumption:
>
> "There are many fish farms that raise horseshoe crabs
> to be sold to the public as a delicacy."
>
> Whoa! It also sez:
>
> "A single horseshoe crab can be worth $2,500 over
> its lifetime for periodically drawing its blood
> for this extract."

Who the hell discovered that? I mean, of all the animals on earth, who
decided to try using horseshoe crab blood?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> >
> > "A single horseshoe crab can be worth $2,500 over
> > its lifetime for periodically drawing its blood
> > for this extract."

> Who the hell discovered that? I mean, of all the animals on earth, who
> decided to try using horseshoe crab blood?

Quoting from:
http://www.horseshoecrab.org/med/med.html

How was the horseshoe crab test discovered?

In the 1960's, Dr. Frederik Bang, a Johns Hopkins
researcher working at the Marine Biological
Laboratory in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, found
that when common marine bacteria were injected
into the bloodstream of the North American
horseshoe crab, Limulus polyphemus, massive
clotting occurred. Later, with the collaboration
of Dr. Jack Levin, the MBL team showed that the
clotting was due to endotoxin, a component of
the marine bacteria originally used by Dr. Bang.
In addition, these investigators were able
to localize the clotting phenomenon to the
blood cells, amebocytes, of the horseshoe crab,
and, more importantly, to demonstrate the
clotting reaction in a test tube. The cell-free
reagent that resulted was named Limulus amebocyte
lysate, or LAL. The name LAL is extremely
descriptive: Limulus is the generic name of
the horseshoe crab, amebocyte is the blood cell
that contains the active components of the
reagent, and lysate describes the original
process used by Levin and Bang to obtain these
components. In Levin and Bang's process,
amebocytes, after being separated from the
blue-colored plasma (hemolymph), were suspended
in distilled water where they lysed (ruptured)
due to the high concentration of salt contained
in the amobocytes versus the absence of salt
in the distilled water. Surprisingly, this same
process with some minor modifications is still
used today to produce LAL.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > wrote

> Sheldon wrote

> ... ate polluted Mill Basin horseshoe crab too.... why do
>> you think they have those back yard kitchens.

> What on earth is there to eat on a horseshoe crab?
> Even the huge ones have tiny legs and no apparent
> meat anywhere else. And they are creepy looking.

Their closest relative is the scorpion. They are used as
bait, where I live.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Sheldon wrote:
>
>> Morris wrote:
>> > Where can I find a recipe for baking bluefish? I just put felids on a
>> > sheet
>> > and bake them. There must be a better way.

>> Fillets?
>>
>> Pound for pound bluefish is the best fighting fish on the planet... but
>> it's not very good eating, rarely if ever is it on a seafood
>> restaurant menu... its high fat content makes it best smoked or
>> grilled outdoors... but typically it's ground up and used for chum.

> It's an odd thing. I keep hearing people talk about a fishy taste, but the
> only
> fish that I think of as being fishy tasty is bluefish.

Mackerel can get that way after a couple or three days, even if the eyes
still look clear.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Morris wrote:
> > Where can I find a recipe for baking bluefish? I just put felids on a sheet
> > and bake them. There must be a better way.

> Fillets?
>
> Pound for pound bluefish is the best fighting fish on the planet... but
> it's not very good eating, rarely if ever is it on a seafood
> restaurant menu... its high fat content makes it best smoked or
> grilled outdoors... but typically it's ground up and used for chum.

It's an odd thing. I keep hearing people talk about a fishy taste, but the only
fish that I think of as being fishy tasty is bluefish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>

>> Mackerel can get that way after a couple or three days, even if the eyes
>> still look clear.

> Doesn't surprise me. I worked for a while at as a trainer at a marine
> park. My
> day started off with thawing and cutting close to 600 lb. of Spanish
> Mackerel in
> to various sized pieces for the different critters. I developed a strong
> aversion to that smell. Years later when I worked on commercial vehicle
> enforcement and dealt with the occasional truckload of seafood I amazed
> some of
> the tuck drivers by identifying the smell of mackerel in their cargo. I
> finally tried some about a year ago and was surprised that it tasted so
> good.

Yeah....it is strangely delicious. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> Mackerel can get that way after a couple or three days, even if the eyes
> still look clear.

Doesn't surprise me. I worked for a while at as a trainer at a marine park. My
day started off with thawing and cutting close to 600 lb. of Spanish Mackerel in
to various sized pieces for the different critters. I developed a strong
aversion to that smell. Years later when I worked on commercial vehicle
enforcement and dealt with the occasional truckload of seafood I amazed some of
the tuck drivers by identifying the smell of mackerel in their cargo. I
finally tried some about a year ago and was surprised that it tasted so good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Those are great web sites. There are lots of bluefish around here this time
of year. I wouldn't eat any bluefish that is over 5 lbs. Fish that are under
5 lbs. in South Jersey are fish that have gowned up here. The larger ones
have roamed polluted waters and they have picked up toxins. I toss them
back.The smaller one taste better than Mackerel. I see there are few
bluefish lovers here. I like the fish but I'm looking for more verity in
cooking it. I catch only what I can eat in one meal. Fresh fish dose not
smell up a house when cooked. Stale fish will. I will not eat stripers as
they roam polluted waters and they are toxin. The only one you can keep are
large ones and they are full of toxins.

Horseshoe have been around for about 350 million years. We are distroying
them. They should be preserve. They are a very important animal.
"Little Malice" > wrote in message
> One time on Usenet, "Morris" > said:
>
>> Where can I find a recipe for baking bluefish? I just put felids on a
>> sheet
>> and bake them. There must be a better way.

> http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=bluefish
>
> Or:
>
> http://search.allrecipes.com/recipe/quick.
> aspx?q1=bluefish&lnkid=65&image1.x=0&image1.y=0
>
> Or:
>
> http://www.recipesource.com/cgi-bin/search.
> cgi?search_string=bluefish&imageField.x=0&imageFie ld.y=0
>
> And I'm hoping that "felids" means "fillets"...
>

> --
> "Little Malice" is Jani in WA
> ~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My early childhood years were in Brooklyn and Riverhead (out in the
rural "crotch" of Long Island). My parents often got fresh seafood,
bought right off the boats at the docks, or gifts from friends who
fished. Bluefish was one of my favorites. My grandmother used to bake
them in some sort of sweet and spicy tomato sauce (and no, she was not
Italian). It was wonderful stuff. Cindy and I sometimes bake snapper
in a similar concoction with tomatoes, limes, onions, green peppers,
olives, etc. In Mexican restaurants, this prep often appears as
"Veracruzano" or "Veracruz style". Google for "snapper veracruzano" and
you will probably turn up some recipes.

Bluefish is rarely seen in the markets here in Seattle, but we get a lot
of other good seafood, so we can't complain too much.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sd sd is offline

In article
<julianvREMOVE_THIS_PART-46BD1D.21325602102006@customer-201-125-217-
207.uninet.net.mx>,
Julian Vrieslander > wrote:

> My early childhood years were in Brooklyn and Riverhead (out in the
> rural "crotch" of Long Island). My parents often got fresh seafood,
> bought right off the boats at the docks, or gifts from friends who
> fished. Bluefish was one of my favorites.

I think I've had bluefish all of twice since I left Lon Guyland many
years ago. I'm guessing it would taste different if I could find it
here just because we're so far away from LI. I loved it -- good
texture, good flavor. It's one of the foods I miss from New York
that's very difficult to get unless you're there for a while.

sd
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bluefish is a great tasting fish but I won't eat fish larger than 5 lbs. The
smaller fish are local and they haven't picked up toxins from going to
polluted places. I found a nice recipe on the web page that was put on this
page.
Thanks.
m...

More Bluefish Dan Logcher[_1_] Sushi 9 24-10-2007 05:53 PM
Bluefish Sashimi Dan Logcher[_1_] Sushi 33 07-10-2007 03:33 AM
Bluefish recipe Robin General Cooking 12 17-02-2007 02:14 PM
REC: Bluefish cakes Peter Aitken General Cooking 7 03-09-2005 04:35 PM
REC SD Cook-In: Smoked Bluefish Jack Schidt® General Cooking 5 22-10-2003 03:50 AM