Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bluefish recipe

I just ran to the market and they had bluefish on sale. I'm perusing
the internet (but should be working). Does anyone have a recipe? and
a suggestion for an easy side? TIA, Robin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Robin" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I just ran to the market and they had bluefish on sale. I'm perusing
> the internet (but should be working). Does anyone have a recipe? and
> a suggestion for an easy side? TIA, Robin

This may seem irrelevant, but where do you live?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 4:07 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Robin" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> >I just ran to the market and they had bluefish on sale. I'm perusing
> > the internet (but should be working). Does anyone have a recipe? and
> > a suggestion for an easy side? TIA, Robin

> This may seem irrelevant, but where do you live?

Ok.....(slightly embarrassed)....Pittsburgh. It's not that I caught
the fish..... R

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Robin" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Feb 15, 4:07 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>> "Robin" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>
>> >I just ran to the market and they had bluefish on sale. I'm perusing
>> > the internet (but should be working). Does anyone have a recipe? and
>> > a suggestion for an easy side? TIA, Robin

>> This may seem irrelevant, but where do you live?

> Ok.....(slightly embarrassed)....Pittsburgh. It's not that I caught
> the fish..... R

OK - I was just wondering, because bluefish really isn't in season along the
mid-Atlantic. Maybe it came from S. Carolina, or something.

I love bluefish, but some people find that the strip of gray down the center
of the filet tastes too strong, so you may want to use the tip of a sharp
knife to remove it. I usually just broil the fish with some butter on top,
and some paprika. In Greek restaurants in Long Island, they'll sprinkle on
some dried oregano, finely crumbled feta cheese, and a couple of tomato
slices. Delicious.

If you find you don't like the taste, don't give up on bluefish. It does NOT
keep as well as some other common fish you find in stores. Try buying it
when it was more likely caught closer to you. The fish migrate north in
April & May, when they're caught off Delaware, NJ and NY. Southbound, they
pass the same area from October to November, depending on whether they've
spent all their vacation money and can't afford to stay in Maine any longer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 4:26 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Robin" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > On Feb 15, 4:07 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> >> "Robin" > wrote in message

> groups.com...

> >> This may seem irrelevant, but where do you live?

> > Ok.....(slightly embarrassed)....Pittsburgh. It's not that I caught
> > the fish..... R

> OK - I was just wondering, because bluefish really isn't in season along the
> mid-Atlantic. Maybe it came from S. Carolina, or something.
>
> I love bluefish, but some people find that the strip of gray down the center
> of the filet tastes too strong, so you may want to use the tip of a sharp
> knife to remove it. I usually just broil the fish with some butter on top,
> and some paprika. In Greek restaurants in Long Island, they'll sprinkle on
> some dried oregano, finely crumbled feta cheese, and a couple of tomato
> slices. Delicious.
>
> If you find you don't like the taste, don't give up on bluefish. It does NOT
> keep as well as some other common fish you find in stores. Try buying it
> when it was more likely caught closer to you. The fish migrate north in
> April & May, when they're caught off Delaware, NJ and NY. Southbound, they
> pass the same area from October to November, depending on whether they've
> spent all their vacation money and can't afford to stay in Maine any longer.

Funny ! The greek recipe sounds really good. Of course, back to the
store for feta and grape toms (the only decent tasting tomato until
summer). I am going to make a note to do this when I have my first
batch of ripe tomatoes from my new home's first garden!

Thank you for the quick response as I don't have internet access at
home and was trying to get dinner together by 5! Robin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Robin" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Feb 15, 4:26 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>> "Robin" > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...

>> groups.com...

>> > Ok.....(slightly embarrassed)....Pittsburgh. It's not that I caught
>> > the fish..... R

>> OK - I was just wondering, because bluefish really isn't in season along
>> the
>> mid-Atlantic. Maybe it came from S. Carolina, or something.
>>
>> I love bluefish, but some people find that the strip of gray down the
>> center
>> of the filet tastes too strong, so you may want to use the tip of a sharp
>> knife to remove it. I usually just broil the fish with some butter on
>> top,
>> and some paprika. In Greek restaurants in Long Island, they'll sprinkle
>> on
>> some dried oregano, finely crumbled feta cheese, and a couple of tomato
>> slices. Delicious.
>>
>> If you find you don't like the taste, don't give up on bluefish. It does
>> NOT
>> keep as well as some other common fish you find in stores. Try buying it
>> when it was more likely caught closer to you. The fish migrate north in
>> April & May, when they're caught off Delaware, NJ and NY. Southbound,
>> they
>> pass the same area from October to November, depending on whether they've
>> spent all their vacation money and can't afford to stay in Maine any
>> longer.

> Funny ! The greek recipe sounds really good. Of course, back to the
> store for feta and grape toms (the only decent tasting tomato until
> summer). I am going to make a note to do this when I have my first
> batch of ripe tomatoes from my new home's first garden!
>
> Thank you for the quick response as I don't have internet access at
> home and was trying to get dinner together by 5! Robin

You're welcome. Let me know how it turns out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote on Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:34:02 GMT:

??>>
??>> Funny ! The greek recipe sounds really good. Of course,
??>> back to the store for feta and grape toms (the only decent
??>> tasting tomato until summer). I am going to make a note
??>> to do this when I have my first batch of ripe tomatoes
??>> from my new home's first garden!
??>>
??>> Thank you for the quick response as I don't have internet
??>> access at home and was trying to get dinner together by 5!
??>> Robin
??>>

One of the best ways that I know to eat bluefish is to smoke it.
You can do that with a charcoal grill, tho' this not the time of
the year for it.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 4:40 pm, "James Silverton"
<not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote:
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote on Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:34:02 GMT:
>
> ??>>
> ??>> Funny ! The greek recipe sounds really good. Of course,
> ??>> back to the store for feta and grape toms (the only decent
> ??>> tasting tomato until summer). I am going to make a note
> ??>> to do this when I have my first batch of ripe tomatoes
> ??>> from my new home's first garden!
> ??>>
> ??>> Thank you for the quick response as I don't have internet
> ??>> access at home and was trying to get dinner together by 5!
> ??>> Robin
> ??>>
>
> One of the best ways that I know to eat bluefish is to smoke it.
> You can do that with a charcoal grill, tho' this not the time of
> the year for it.
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Ooh, I had smoked bluefish pate that was delicious. That's another
one for summertime, thanks, James!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Robin wrote:
> I just ran to the market and they had bluefish on sale. I'm perusing
> the internet (but should be working). Does anyone have a recipe? and
> a suggestion for an easy side? TIA, Robin

Oh gee, I wish I remembered what an ex-boyfriend did.
Something like crumble a layer of Ritz crackers over the top,
drizzle a bit of butter over that, and squeeze on some lemon,
then bake. It was delicious!

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 8:33 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On 15 Feb 2007 13:05:24 -0800, Robin wrote:
>
> > I just ran to the market and they had bluefish on sale. I'm perusing
> > the internet (but should be working). Does anyone have a recipe? and
> > a suggestion for an easy side? TIA, Robin

> Wholley's perhaps?
>
> -sw

You've got it, Steve! Unfortunately dinner didn't happen last night,
so I believe fishcakes it is for tonight. R

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The dark meat down the spine is not supposed to be consumed because of
the high levels of dioxin.

I don't eat them anymore, but I used to cook them by cleaning them,
then putting them belly down in a large roasting pan, pin slices of
onion to them with toothpicks, and bake them. I forget the cooking
times, but in the last 10 or 15 minutes, pour tomato sauce over it and
finish the baking. The combo of baked bluefish and tomato sauce is a
winner.

If you're looking for another tasty fish to bake, try a whole fresh
Pollack, but they are getting tough to get.

More Bluefish Dan Logcher[_1_] Sushi 9 24-10-2007 05:53 PM
Bluefish Sashimi Dan Logcher[_1_] Sushi 33 07-10-2007 03:33 AM
Bluefish Morris General Cooking 28 04-10-2006 03:40 AM
REC: Bluefish cakes Peter Aitken General Cooking 7 03-09-2005 04:35 PM
REC SD Cook-In: Smoked Bluefish Jack Schidt® General Cooking 5 22-10-2003 03:50 AM