Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default More Bluefish

So I was down fishing in CT again this weekend and managed another bluefish.
The seas were rough, 5'-6' swells so we didn't have as successful a time as
I would have hoped. Anyway, I filleted the fish this morning and washed off
the cutting board only to find it still kind of wreaks. Its a typical wood
cutting board with a groved drain around the perimeter. Any ideas about how
to remove or reduce the fish scent? I used it last time and it was fine..

I may have left it in direct sunlight last time.. don't recall completely.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Oct 22, 7:44 pm, Dan Logcher > wrote:
> So I was down fishing in CT again this weekend and managed another bluefish.
> The seas were rough, 5'-6' swells so we didn't have as successful a time as
> I would have hoped. Anyway, I filleted the fish this morning and washed off
> the cutting board only to find it still kind of wreaks. Its a typical wood
> cutting board with a groved drain around the perimeter. Any ideas about how
> to remove or reduce the fish scent? I used it last time and it was fine..
>
> I may have left it in direct sunlight last time.. don't recall completely.
>
> --
> Dan

Try straight lemon juice Dan. Put it on heavy and let it sit for a few
minutes. Wash off with very hot water. If that doesn't work, after a
day or so try bleach straight from the bottle, then rinse with hot
water.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

parrotheada1a wrote:
> On Oct 22, 7:44 pm, Dan Logcher > wrote:
>
>>So I was down fishing in CT again this weekend and managed another bluefish.
>>The seas were rough, 5'-6' swells so we didn't have as successful a time as
>>I would have hoped. Anyway, I filleted the fish this morning and washed off
>>the cutting board only to find it still kind of wreaks. Its a typical wood
>>cutting board with a groved drain around the perimeter. Any ideas about how
>>to remove or reduce the fish scent? I used it last time and it was fine..
>>
>>I may have left it in direct sunlight last time.. don't recall completely.

> Try straight lemon juice Dan. Put it on heavy and let it sit for a few
> minutes. Wash off with very hot water. If that doesn't work, after a
> day or so try bleach straight from the bottle, then rinse with hot
> water.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I'm kind of surprised it smells as much since I
did this three weeks ago and it was fine. There was a lot less blood from this
fish.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> So I was down fishing in CT again this weekend and managed another

bluefish.
> The seas were rough, 5'-6' swells so we didn't have as successful a time

as
> I would have hoped. Anyway, I filleted the fish this morning and washed

off
> the cutting board only to find it still kind of wreaks. Its a typical

wood
> cutting board with a groved drain around the perimeter. Any ideas about

how
> to remove or reduce the fish scent? I used it last time and it was fine..
>
> I may have left it in direct sunlight last time.. don't recall completely.
>
> --
> Dan

Is your board well used? I usually have no problem because I'm a
Board-and-knife
clean freak and wash very thoroughly after each use. I know that bleach is
often
suggested but I tend to stick to white vinegar if I have a smell problem.
A well used board might need a mineral oil treatment or it will soak up too
much water
and smell.
This is a good site:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Cutti...s/AllAbout.htm

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote:
> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>So I was down fishing in CT again this weekend and managed another

> bluefish.
>
>>The seas were rough, 5'-6' swells so we didn't have as successful a time

> as
>
>>I would have hoped. Anyway, I filleted the fish this morning and washed

> off
>
>>the cutting board only to find it still kind of wreaks. Its a typical

> wood
>
>>cutting board with a groved drain around the perimeter. Any ideas about

> how
>
>>to remove or reduce the fish scent? I used it last time and it was fine..
>>
>>I may have left it in direct sunlight last time.. don't recall completely.
>>
>>--
>>Dan

> Is your board well used? I usually have no problem because I'm a
> Board-and-knife
> clean freak and wash very thoroughly after each use. I know that bleach is
> often
> suggested but I tend to stick to white vinegar if I have a smell problem.
> A well used board might need a mineral oil treatment or it will soak up too
> much water
> and smell.
> This is a good site:
> http://whatscookingamerica.net/Cutti...s/AllAbout.htm

Its not well used.. I've used it maybe 6 times so far. I should probably have
oiled it by now to prevent the water soaking in. I am a clean freak on my knives
and cutting boards, just didn't prep this one I guess.

I cringe when my wife uses my knives and leaves them dirty in the sink! I always
clean after cutting if there's any lag time. Usually a simple rinse and wipe if its
vegetables and such. And I freak out when my wife leaves dirty dishes on the cutting
board.. UGH!

--
Dan

Posted to alt.food.sushi

<asd> wrote in message
> For wood cutting boards I like to rinse it then give it a
> couple of handfuls kosher salt and let it set. Citrus juice is
> always good for getting the last bits of odor and oils out.
>
> Evan

In general, lemon juice is pretty good at dissolving the primary
amines that give rise to a "fishy" odor in fish that is a bit
older than optimum so it might well work. The best use I have
found is for rinsing canned tuna before making tuna salad but
any fish that is improved by a lemon juice rinse is not sushi
fish, IMHO!

--
Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
>> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>>
>>>So I was down fishing in CT again this weekend and managed another

>> bluefish.
>>
>>>The seas were rough, 5'-6' swells so we didn't have as successful a time

>> as
>>
>>>I would have hoped. Anyway, I filleted the fish this morning and washed

>> off
>>
>>>the cutting board only to find it still kind of wreaks. Its a typical

>> wood
>>
>>>cutting board with a groved drain around the perimeter. Any ideas about

>> how
>>
>>>to remove or reduce the fish scent? I used it last time and it was
>>>fine..
>>>
>>>I may have left it in direct sunlight last time.. don't recall
>>>completely.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Dan

>> Is your board well used? I usually have no problem because I'm a
>> Board-and-knife
>> clean freak and wash very thoroughly after each use. I know that bleach
>> is
>> often
>> suggested but I tend to stick to white vinegar if I have a smell problem.
>> A well used board might need a mineral oil treatment or it will soak up
>> too
>> much water
>> and smell.
>> This is a good site:
>> http://whatscookingamerica.net/Cutti...s/AllAbout.htm

> Its not well used.. I've used it maybe 6 times so far. I should probably
> have
> oiled it by now to prevent the water soaking in. I am a clean freak on my
> knives
> and cutting boards, just didn't prep this one I guess.
>
> I cringe when my wife uses my knives and leaves them dirty in the sink! I
> always
> clean after cutting if there's any lag time. Usually a simple rinse and
> wipe if its
> vegetables and such. And I freak out when my wife leaves dirty dishes on
> the cutting
> board.. UGH!
>
> --
> Dan

LOL. I know the feeling.
It's tough being a kitchen warrior.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

James Silverton wrote:
> <asd> wrote in message ...
>
>> For wood cutting boards I like to rinse it then give it a couple of
>> handfuls kosher salt and let it set. Citrus juice is always good for
>> getting the last bits of odor and oils out.

> In general, lemon juice is pretty good at dissolving the primary amines
> that give rise to a "fishy" odor in fish that is a bit older than
> optimum so it might well work. The best use I have found is for rinsing
> canned tuna before making tuna salad but any fish that is improved by a
> lemon juice rinse is not sushi fish, IMHO!

I didn't have a fresh lemon, so I used the squueze lemon juice. It didn't
seem to do it, so I also tried white vinegar. Neither seems to have done
the job, but I'll let it dry out for a while. Maybe some good ole sunlight
will do the trick.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:40:58 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

>James Silverton wrote:
>> <asd> wrote in message ...
>>
>>> For wood cutting boards I like to rinse it then give it a couple of
>>> handfuls kosher salt and let it set. Citrus juice is always good for
>>> getting the last bits of odor and oils out.

>> In general, lemon juice is pretty good at dissolving the primary amines
>> that give rise to a "fishy" odor in fish that is a bit older than
>> optimum so it might well work. The best use I have found is for rinsing
>> canned tuna before making tuna salad but any fish that is improved by a
>> lemon juice rinse is not sushi fish, IMHO!

>I didn't have a fresh lemon, so I used the squueze lemon juice. It didn't
>seem to do it, so I also tried white vinegar. Neither seems to have done
>the job, but I'll let it dry out for a while. Maybe some good ole sunlight
>will do the trick.

You've had several answers that are close to what I do.

After rinsing my cutting board, I process an entire lemon until it's
pureed good. I put a half handful of sea salt on the middle of my
board and pour the lemon puree over it while holding it over the sink.

I scrub it with a dish brush, (used for nothing but this), until I've
scrubbed the entire board good.

Then I let it sit for 30-60 minutes.

A good rinse and dry and it's back onto the shelf, flat.

I'm real picky about my cutting boards.

My boards all have a slight lemon smell to them.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Merlin wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:40:58 -0400, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>

>>James Silverton wrote:

>>>In general, lemon juice is pretty good at dissolving the primary amines
>>>that give rise to a "fishy" odor in fish that is a bit older than
>>>optimum so it might well work. The best use I have found is for rinsing
>>>canned tuna before making tuna salad but any fish that is improved by a
>>>lemon juice rinse is not sushi fish, IMHO!

>>I didn't have a fresh lemon, so I used the squueze lemon juice. It didn't
>>seem to do it, so I also tried white vinegar. Neither seems to have done
>>the job, but I'll let it dry out for a while. Maybe some good ole sunlight
>>will do the trick.

> You've had several answers that are close to what I do.
>
> After rinsing my cutting board, I process an entire lemon until it's
> pureed good. I put a half handful of sea salt on the middle of my
> board and pour the lemon puree over it while holding it over the sink.
>
> I scrub it with a dish brush, (used for nothing but this), until I've
> scrubbed the entire board good.
>
> Then I let it sit for 30-60 minutes.
>
> A good rinse and dry and it's back onto the shelf, flat.
>
> I'm real picky about my cutting boards.
>
> My boards all have a slight lemon smell to them.

Well its mostly better now My board has a bit of a vinegar smell to it.
But that's better than fish. Heh.. This is a relatively new board, only
used maybe 6 times. I'll be sure to oil it up when its completely dried.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

--
Dan

Bluefish Sashimi Dan Logcher[_1_] Sushi 33 07-10-2007 03:33 AM
Bluefish recipe Robin General Cooking 12 17-02-2007 01:14 PM
Bluefish Morris General Cooking 28 04-10-2006 03:40 AM
REC: Bluefish cakes Peter Aitken General Cooking 7 03-09-2005 04:35 PM
REC SD Cook-In: Smoked Bluefish Jack Schidt® General Cooking 5 22-10-2003 03:50 AM