Melba's Jammin'

Default The 10th Annual Schaller State Fair Ribbon Report - The Queen is Dead! Long live the Queen! - But Life Ain't Bad (Long)

The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

First place ribbons (canning) were for Blackberry Jelly, Cherry Amaretto
Jam, and Bread & Butter Pickles (Yesss-s-s-s-!!). Winning the Bread &
Butter lot for the third consecutive year means that I will not be
allowed to compete in that lot for two years. (*^;^*) Ain't that a
shame.

First place ribbon for baking was for Boy Brownies!! Oh, yeah! The
Chocolate Cherry Amaretto Brownies. I'm doing a tv appearance on
Saturday morning (KARE-11 for you Meen-a-soh-tans) at about 9:40 a.m.
pitching my Gedney State Fair Cherry Jam (an ingredient in the winning
brownies) and I know they're going to want the recipe. Trouble is I
didn't have much of a recipe -- I made it up as I went along. Guess
IBeBaking tonight or tomorrow to figure something out for them. I'll be
giving them a recipe for Cherry Chipotle Relish that they'll post on
their website. Gotta get that one made up, too. . . . I really should
learn to measure when I cook.

No other baking ribbons - go figure. Competition's getting tougher.
'Sokay. Oh cripes, I almost forgot: I was awarded 3rd place for the
Sweepstakes award for the Cookies -- that means the fine judges decided
my CCAB were the third best of all the freakin' cookie lots. I'm
pleased. There's no money in it for me and it doesn't show on the
online results info, either.

Other placings for canned goods were second place for Nectarine Jam;
third place for Plum Jelly, Cherry-Peach Jelly, Cherry Jelly, and Corn
Relish; fourth place for Apricot Butter (hisss-s-s-s-s); and fifth place
for Blackberry Jam.

I only took a few lousy pictures - the one of the brownies will be on my
website in a trice. And I *forgot* to go stand in front of my B&Bs and
accost innocent bystanders to tell them that those are MY pickles!
Good thing I'm going again. Modesty doesn't become me.

I took the first express bus to the Fairgrounds at 8:00 a.m. and was on
the 1:00 p.m. bus returning home. My dogs are barking. I'll go back on
Saturday morning for that tv thang and a two-hour stint in the Gedney
booth pitching my jams. (Catch the plural?) I'll go again for a 20-30
minute (!!) radio thing on KSTP-1500 with Joe Soucheray at 3:00 p.m. on
Friday, September 2; and La Twerp and her Female Parental Unit, Grandpa,
and Babi will go again on September 3. It will be Sam's first trip to
the Fair and She So 'Cited! "Rides? Animals, too?" I haven't seen her
in more than a month. I don't like that. I don't like that one
stinkin' bit.

It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.
-Barb
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05
Dimitri

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
> the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.
>
> First place ribbons (canning) were for Blackberry Jelly, Cherry Amaretto
> Jam, and Bread & Butter Pickles (Yesss-s-s-s-!!). Winning the Bread &
> Butter lot for the third consecutive year means that I will not be
> allowed to compete in that lot for two years. (*^;^*) Ain't that a
> shame.
>
> First place ribbon for baking was for Boy Brownies!! Oh, yeah! The
> Chocolate Cherry Amaretto Brownies. I'm doing a tv appearance on
> Saturday morning (KARE-11 for you Meen-a-soh-tans) at about 9:40 a.m.
> pitching my Gedney State Fair Cherry Jam (an ingredient in the winning
> brownies) and I know they're going to want the recipe. Trouble is I
> didn't have much of a recipe -- I made it up as I went along. Guess
> IBeBaking tonight or tomorrow to figure something out for them. I'll be
> giving them a recipe for Cherry Chipotle Relish that they'll post on
> their website. Gotta get that one made up, too. . . . I really should
> learn to measure when I cook.
>
> No other baking ribbons - go figure. Competition's getting tougher.
> 'Sokay. Oh cripes, I almost forgot: I was awarded 3rd place for the
> Sweepstakes award for the Cookies -- that means the fine judges decided
> my CCAB were the third best of all the freakin' cookie lots. I'm
> pleased. There's no money in it for me and it doesn't show on the
> online results info, either.
>
> Other placings for canned goods were second place for Nectarine Jam;
> third place for Plum Jelly, Cherry-Peach Jelly, Cherry Jelly, and Corn
> Relish; fourth place for Apricot Butter (hisss-s-s-s-s); and fifth place
> for Blackberry Jam.
>
> I only took a few lousy pictures - the one of the brownies will be on my
> website in a trice. And I *forgot* to go stand in front of my B&Bs and
> accost innocent bystanders to tell them that those are MY pickles!
> Good thing I'm going again. Modesty doesn't become me.
>
> I took the first express bus to the Fairgrounds at 8:00 a.m. and was on
> the 1:00 p.m. bus returning home. My dogs are barking. I'll go back on
> Saturday morning for that tv thang and a two-hour stint in the Gedney
> booth pitching my jams. (Catch the plural?) I'll go again for a 20-30
> minute (!!) radio thing on KSTP-1500 with Joe Soucheray at 3:00 p.m. on
> Friday, September 2; and La Twerp and her Female Parental Unit, Grandpa,
> and Babi will go again on September 3. It will be Sam's first trip to
> the Fair and She So 'Cited! "Rides? Animals, too?" I haven't seen her
> in more than a month. I don't like that. I don't like that one
> stinkin' bit.
>
> It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.
> -Barb
> --
> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05

WOW!

See talent always rises to the top.

Congratulations - you deserve to toot your own horn for a job well done.

Dimitri

Cindy Fuller

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
> the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.
>
> First place ribbons (canning) were for Blackberry Jelly, Cherry Amaretto
> Jam, and Bread & Butter Pickles (Yesss-s-s-s-!!). Winning the Bread &
> Butter lot for the third consecutive year means that I will not be
> allowed to compete in that lot for two years. (*^;^*) Ain't that a
> shame.

Other highlights snipped
> It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.

Congratulations! I knew you'd come through with ribbons flying.

Now for the hat in hand request: I picked 3 quarts of blackberries
today. I could have picked more, but I only brought a 3 quart dish.
Now I need to do something with them. Might I be so bold as to ask for
the recipes for the blackberry jam and jelly? The SO and I would be
most grateful.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Andy

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I know they're going to want the recipe. Trouble is I
> didn't have much of a recipe -- I made it up as I went along.

Congrats on the ribbons, but about "I made it up as I went along."...
shame, shame, shame!

Why don't you leave a tape recorder on so you can speak your ingredients
so if it turns into a hit, which it seems you do quite naturally, you
can present the TV audience a recipe.

Picture Beethoven just humming... da-da-da_DAH...

All the best,

Andy
Melba's Jammin'

In article
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1
> > of
> > the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.
> >
> > First place ribbons (canning) were for Blackberry Jelly, Cherry
> > Amaretto
> > Jam, and Bread & Butter Pickles (Yesss-s-s-s-!!). Winning the Bread &
> > Butter lot for the third consecutive year means that I will not be
> > allowed to compete in that lot for two years. (*^;^*) Ain't that a
> > shame.
> >

> Other highlights snipped
> > It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.

> Congratulations! I knew you'd come through with ribbons flying.
>
> Now for the hat in hand request: I picked 3 quarts of blackberries
> today. I could have picked more, but I only brought a 3 quart dish.
> Now I need to do something with them. Might I be so bold as to ask for
> the recipes for the blackberry jam and jelly? The SO and I would be
> most grateful.
>
> Cindy

Sweetie, get a package of pectin and follow the recipe -- it's what I
do. Ball Fruit Jell is cheaper than Sure Jell if you can find it. did
I ever mention that my blackberry "stuff" is made from commercially
frozen berries? I use about 4 packages (12-16 ounces each?) and thaw
them. Drain the juice and use it for jelly; use the berries for jam.
I recommend that, otherwise you will use one helluva lot of blackberries
in order to get a decent amount of juice.

IIR, if you use a LIQUID PECTIN recipe for making jelly, they usually
call for two pouches (the full box) of pectin (Ball makes one of those,
too; Certo is more commonly found). If your supply of blackberry juice
is slim, it's easy to make only half a recipe, using one pouch of liquid
pectin. BTDT.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05

Melba's Jammin'

In article > , "Dimitri"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
> > the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

(snippage of the frabjous details).

> > I took the first express bus to the Fairgrounds at 8:00 a.m. and was on
> > the 1:00 p.m. bus returning home. My dogs are barking. I'll go back on
> > Saturday morning for that tv thang and a two-hour stint in the Gedney
> > booth pitching my jams. (Catch the plural?) I'll go again for a 20-30
> > minute (!!) radio thing on KSTP-1500 with Joe Soucheray at 3:00 p.m. on
> > Friday, September 2; and La Twerp and her Female Parental Unit, Grandpa,
> > and Babi will go again on September 3. It will be Sam's first trip to
> > the Fair and She So 'Cited! "Rides? Animals, too?" I haven't seen her
> > in more than a month. I don't like that. I don't like that one
> > stinkin' bit.
> >
> > It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.
> > -Barb
> > --
> > -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05

> WOW!
>
> See talent always rises to the top.
>
> Congratulations - you deserve to toot your own horn for a job well done.
>
> Dimitri

Thanks. The Minnesota State Fair is a good time. Perfect mornng
weather, it was getting hot by the time I left and I was happy to bail.
I'm looking forward to the trip there with La Twerp.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05
TammyM

"Andy" <Q> wrote in message
.. .
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > I know they're going to want the recipe. Trouble is I
> > didn't have much of a recipe -- I made it up as I went along.

> Congrats on the ribbons, but about "I made it up as I went along."...
> shame, shame, shame!
>
> Why don't you leave a tape recorder on so you can speak your ingredients
> so if it turns into a hit, which it seems you do quite naturally, you
> can present the TV audience a recipe.

Yeah, and we want recipes for those brownies, Granny! Sure wish I'd asked
you to autograph a jar of your Melba jam (I STILL have a couple of jars
from, oh, 10 years ago!!!) before you got all rich and famous :-)

> Picture Beethoven just humming... da-da-da_DAH...

Now that's quite a visual. Er. Audio-visual :-)

TammyM

Damsel in dis Dress

Melba's Jammin' > said:

> The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
> the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

Congrats, lady. I know you work your butt off making all that stuff. You
deserve wots and wots of wibbons! (Sorry, picked that up from Sam being
"cited")

Carol
Puester

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
> the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

Wooohooooo!!! Congratulations. Ya done good. Good? H*ll, ya done
fantastico!

> First place ribbons (canning) were for Blackberry Jelly, Cherry Amaretto
> Jam, and Bread & Butter Pickles (Yesss-s-s-s-!!). Winning the Bread &
> Butter lot for the third consecutive year means that I will not be
> allowed to compete in that lot for two years. (*^;^*) Ain't that a
> shame.

Yabbut, you'll still have to make them for Rob next year, won't you?

> It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.
> -Barb

Not bad being me, but I bet it's better being you! ;-)

gloria p
Charles Gifford

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
> the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

<SNIP>

Congratulations Barb! Well done Sweetie. I shall once again endeavor to not
feel inadequate.

Charlie

Victor Sack

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> First place ribbons (canning) were for Blackberry Jelly, Cherry Amaretto
> Jam, and Bread & Butter Pickles (Yesss-s-s-s-!!). Winning the Bread &
> Butter lot for the third consecutive year means that I will not be
> allowed to compete in that lot for two years. (*^;^*) Ain't that a
> shame.
>
> First place ribbon for baking was for Boy Brownies!!

*Just* four first place ribbons (which were black this year, anyway)?!
It is a terrible disappointment and, for obvious reasons, a great shame,
though not a surprise, of course. I know how you *really* feel, Barb, I
know... but no need to get suicidal - there is always next year and I
have an inkling that beets will be particularly good in time for the
Fair!

There... there... don't cry, Sweetie! Have a spoonful of Barb's Beety
Beauty...

Bubba
jake

Congratualtions, that is a *lot* of prizes.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Andy <Q>
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > I know they're going to want the recipe. Trouble is I
> > didn't have much of a recipe -- I made it up as I went along.

> Congrats on the ribbons, but about "I made it up as I went along."...
> shame, shame, shame!
>
> Why don't you leave a tape recorder

It seems so shallow and self-serving.

on so you can speak your ingredients
> so if it turns into a hit, which it seems you do quite naturally, you
> can present the TV audience a recipe.
>
> Picture Beethoven just humming... da-da-da_DAH...
>

> All the best,
>
> Andy

LOL! I know what went into them; just gotta remember how much. And you
can't exactly measure frosting ingredients, anyway. And a consultation
with Favorite Niece Sandra affirmed my belief that I may hold back the
Secret. "-) So maybe they won't get the WHOLE truth! "-)
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "TammyM"
> wrote:

> "Andy" <Q> wrote in message
> .. .
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > > I know they're going to want the recipe. Trouble is I
> > > didn't have much of a recipe -- I made it up as I went along.

> Yeah, and we want recipes for those brownies, Granny!

I'm thinking, I'm thinking. It's just a clever variation on the Boy
Brownies. With a clever icing.

> Sure wish I'd asked you to autograph a jar of your Melba jam (I STILL
> have a couple of jars from, oh, 10 years ago!!!) before you got all
> rich and famous :-)

Honey, I got famous covered. I'm still waiting for RICH! Ye gods, eat
the damn jam! They still make it!

> > Picture Beethoven just humming... da-da-da_DAH...

> Now that's quite a visual. Er. Audio-visual :-)

<sigh>

--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05
Melba's Jammin'

In article . net>,
"Charles Gifford" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1
> > of
> > the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

> <SNIP>
>
> Congratulations Barb! Well done Sweetie. I shall once again endeavor
> to not feel inadequate.

> Charlie

Sweetums, you'll NEVER be inadequate. You're one of the nicest rfc
folks it's been my privilege to meet, Luv.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05
Andy

Such as... http://tinyurl.com/ccgt5

--
Andy
Margaret Suran

Congratulations, Barbara, Marcel joined me in drinking a toast to your
well deserved success.

One question came up, however. What kind of assholes judged your
peach and your apricot jams? How could they not award you blue
ribbons for what undoubtedly is true ambrosia? Well, at least they
could tell that the Cherry Amaretto is something fit for the gods.

I hope, Barbara, that you do not consider me to be prejudiced. )

Congratulations, we are all very proud of you.
Rhonda Anderson

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1
> of the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

Congratulations!! Knew you'd do well.

> It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.
> -Barb

It'll be even better being me if I manage at least 1 prize on the
weekend. It's Penrith Show, and I've entered some things again -
actually most of the family have.

I've got two pieces of needlework, and 4 lots of baking - boiled
fruitcake (got 2nd last year), banana cake (got 2nd last year),
shortbread (got 1st 28 years ago when I entered it in the junior section
as a 12 yr old!, haven't entered it since), pumpkin scones (not entered
those before - wasn't really happy with the ones I entered, I've done
better, but I didn't have time to bake another batch). I don't expect to
win anything,but it would be nice...

My 11 year old nephew has entered scones, his 9 year old brother has
entered banana cake,carrot cake, chocolate cake and chocolate muffins,
and my brother in law has entered scones and fruitcake (a different type
to the one I made - entered in a different class).

So - wish us all luck! Especially the kids.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

The Cook

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:55:10 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
>the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

You did great. What is the secret to your B&B pickles? Sounds like
you may have some secret ingredient.

--
Susan N.

S'mee [AKA Jani]

One time on Usenet, Margaret Suran >
said:

> Congratulations, Barbara, Marcel joined me in drinking a toast to your
> well deserved success.

<snip>

> Congratulations, we are all very proud of you.

Yeah, me too! Not that I'm really surprised at your wins... :-)

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, VidGamer, novice cook, dieter ~
Cindy Fuller

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Sweetie, get a package of pectin and follow the recipe -- it's what I
> do. Ball Fruit Jell is cheaper than Sure Jell if you can find it. did
> I ever mention that my blackberry "stuff" is made from commercially
> frozen berries? I use about 4 packages (12-16 ounces each?) and thaw
> them. Drain the juice and use it for jelly; use the berries for jam.
> I recommend that, otherwise you will use one helluva lot of blackberries
> in order to get a decent amount of juice.

There are plenty more berries where those 3 quarts came from. Plus I
found another prolific patch yesterday that cries out for picking.
Unfortunately, mean people with chainsaws decimated the patch at the end
of the street.

> IIR, if you use a LIQUID PECTIN recipe for making jelly, they usually
> call for two pouches (the full box) of pectin (Ball makes one of those,
> too; Certo is more commonly found). If your supply of blackberry juice
> is slim, it's easy to make only half a recipe, using one pouch of liquid
> pectin. BTDT.

Thank you for your wisdom. I'll see if Fred Meyer has the appropriate
provisions. I have to take SO's mom's laundry to her tonight or
tomorrow morning, and Fred's more-or-less on the way there.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
sf

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:55:10 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Cherry Chipotle Relish

Many congratulatory remarks coming from me are going your way!

When you get the chance (after you've *invented* it), will you please
post this recipe? It sounds dee-lish!

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:55:10 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
> >the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

> You did great. What is the secret to your B&B pickles? Sounds like
> you may have some secret ingredient.

Thank you.
I have no idea. "-) The water? Cheap cider vinegar?
I like them about (digs through drawer for ruler) 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 inch
diameter. Not more than 2" diameter. Straight, firm, and fresh are
always good. Unless you pick them yourself, you really don't know how
fresh they are. I never pick my own. I buy what looks good at the
market. Varietal? Color me Clueless. I slice them in the Cuisinart,
4mm thick, I think (Godalmighty, I gotta write some of this stuff down
because every freakin' July I look at my set of blades, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm,
6mm and think, "OK, Dipstick, which WAS it!) Like I said, I've posted
the recipe any number of times and I actually follow it. There's always
brine/syrup leftover. Just had a thought: I may make a half batch of
these suckers for Rob and NOT can them -- they'll stay in the fridge
till who won't have it! (Every once in a while I come up with a good
idea.)

I brought some to a brunch at Margaret's a year or two ago and they
weren't exactly snarfed down. Heathens.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
sfpipeline_at_gmail.com wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:55:10 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > Cherry Chipotle Relish

> Many congratulatory remarks coming from me are going your way!
>
> When you get the chance (after you've *invented* it), will you please
> post this recipe? It sounds dee-lish!

It is very good. I think I have posted it -- you could look for it.
Maybe on r.f.preserving (maybe last year).
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Rhonda
Anderson > wrote:

> > It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.
> > -Barb

> It'll be even better being me if I manage at least 1 prize on the
> weekend. It's Penrith Show, and I've entered some things again -
> actually most of the family have.
>
> I've got two pieces of needlework, and 4 lots of baking - boiled
> fruitcake (got 2nd last year), banana cake (got 2nd last year),
> shortbread (got 1st 28 years ago when I entered it in the junior section
> as a 12 yr old!, haven't entered it since), pumpkin scones (not entered
> those before - wasn't really happy with the ones I entered, I've done
> better, but I didn't have time to bake another batch). I don't expect to
> win anything,but it would be nice...

> So - wish us all luck! Especially the kids.
>
> Rhonda Anderson
> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Thanks, Rhonda. God bless, Toots! Toes and fingers crossed! Let us
know how you do.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

> Congratulations, Barbara, Marcel joined me in drinking a toast to your
> well deserved success.
>
> One question came up, however. What kind of assholes judged your
> peach and your apricot jams? How could they not award you blue
> ribbons for what undoubtedly is true ambrosia? Well, at least they
> could tell that the Cherry Amaretto is something fit for the gods.
>
> I hope, Barbara, that you do not consider me to be prejudiced. )
>
> Congratulations, we are all very proud of you.

<Cough> Well, so much for "aspiring to be a lady like Margaret." I love
you, Dear. You know that! You are the Schaller family champion and we
all, every last one of us, love you for it. Now about that Scotch. . .
..
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05
Boron Elgar

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:55:10 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
>the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.
>

>It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.
>-Barb

Congrats, Barb and even more, thanks for sharing all the adventures.
It makes me feel a part of it all.

Boron
sf

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:03:06 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Straight, firm, and fresh are always good.

Ain't it the truth?

<w>

Puester

Rhonda Anderson wrote:

> It'll be even better being me if I manage at least 1 prize on the
> weekend. It's Penrith Show, and I've entered some things again -
> actually most of the family have.

How nice to know that the next generation is interested in
cooking.

> My 11 year old nephew has entered scones, his 9 year old brother has
> entered banana cake,carrot cake, chocolate cake and chocolate muffins,
> and my brother in law has entered scones and fruitcake (a different type
> to the one I made - entered in a different class).
>
> So - wish us all luck! Especially the kids.

All fingers and toes and eyes crossed for the family's success.
Please let us know the results.

gloria p
Goomba38

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I brought some to a brunch at Margaret's a year or two ago and they
> weren't exactly snarfed down. Heathens.

It wasn't last year or I'd have snarfed 'em down myself. Musta been the
year prior.
Goomba
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:55:10 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
> >the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

> >It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.
> >-Barb

> Congrats, Barb and even more, thanks for sharing all the adventures.
> It makes me feel a part of it all.
>
> Boron

My pleasure entirely. I'm nearly at 400 jars of stuff put up. Am about
to engage in a batch of Plum Cherry Jelly -- should be done in half an
hour.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
(Victor Sack) wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > First place ribbons (canning) were for Blackberry Jelly, Cherry Amaretto
> > Jam, and Bread & Butter Pickles (Yesss-s-s-s-!!). Winning the Bread &
> > Butter lot for the third consecutive year means that I will not be
> > allowed to compete in that lot for two years. (*^;^*) Ain't that a
> > shame.
> >
> > First place ribbon for baking was for Boy Brownies!!

> *Just* four first place ribbons (which were black this year, anyway)?!
> It is a terrible disappointment and, for obvious reasons, a great shame,
> though not a surprise, of course. I know how you *really* feel, Barb, I
> know... but no need to get suicidal - there is always next year and I
> have an inkling that beets will be particularly good in time for the
> Fair!
>
> There... there... don't cry, Sweetie! Have a spoonful of Barb's Beety
> Beauty...
>
> Bubba

You are such a snot, Bubba. Really. Seriously. I'm prone to
depression but have never been suicidal. Homicidal, maybe, when the
Beet Boy knocks on the door. "-) Do you like pickled beets? I need to
know because I'd hate to waste the postage if YOUR TRUE COLOR shown
through and YOU don't eat them, either. Come to think of it, I've
never seen you express much interest in them other than to needle me.
Hmmmmm?? I gotta say, though, that the Beety Beauty schtick never fails
to crack me up. Prevert. (And that's how it's spelled, by the by!)
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05
Stan Horwitz

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.

More good days than bad days, so I can't complain. Will you be putting
the video on your web site too? Congrats on the awards! You deserve them
and I am sure they were well earned!

maxine in ri

How about if you videotape yoursef cooking? Then you can review the
tapes and figgur out what you did and how much of it you threw in.

Sounds like you're gonna be one busy star on too many media outlets.
Careful, or folks will get tired of seeing you.

Hope Sam enjoys her first fair. While you show her the wonders of
country living, I'll be caring for my Mom back at her house, since they
let her out on Sunday. Only 5 months for them to get her up and out of
there. And her roommate was asking about that window bed....

maxine in ri

maxine in ri

A billion electrons later, Melba's Jammin' said:

> LOL! I know what went into them; just gotta
> remember how much. And you
> can't exactly measure frosting ingredients,
> anyway. And a consultation
> with Favorite Niece Sandra affirmed my
> belief that I may hold back the
> Secret. "-) So maybe they won't get the
> WHOLE truth! "-)
>
> -Barb

Weren't you just commenting on the ridiculousness of not giving out
recipes, or giving out recipes missing some ingredient??? For Shame!
(I'm just jealous becasue you're such a good cook!<g>)

maxine in ri

maxine in ri

My Mom likes beets. She's 92. She'd appreciate them if Bubba is not
happy with them.

maxine

A billion electrons raced across the universe and composed themselves
thus:
> Do you like pickled beets? I need to
> know because I'd hate to waste the postage > if YOUR TRUE COLOR shown
> through and YOU don't eat them, either.
> Come to think of it, I've
> never seen you express much interest in
> them other than to needle me.
> Hmmmmm?? I gotta say, though, that the
> Beety Beauty schtick never fails
> to crack me up. Prevert. (And that's how it's > spelled, by the by!)
> -Barb

Jeff Bienstadt

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
> the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.
>
> First place ribbons (canning) were for Blackberry Jelly, Cherry Amaretto
> Jam, and Bread & Butter Pickles (Yesss-s-s-s-!!). Winning the Bread &
> Butter lot for the third consecutive year means that I will not be
> allowed to compete in that lot for two years. (*^;^*) Ain't that a
> shame.

[more entirely justified bragging snipped]

Congrats, Barb. It's always fun to read your reports.

---jkb

--
Lisa: "Do we have any food that wasn't brutally slaughtered?"
Homer: "Well, I think the veal died of loneliness."

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Jeff Bienstadt
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
> > the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.
> >
> > First place ribbons (canning) were for Blackberry Jelly, Cherry Amaretto
> > Jam, and Bread & Butter Pickles (Yesss-s-s-s-!!). Winning the Bread &
> > Butter lot for the third consecutive year means that I will not be
> > allowed to compete in that lot for two years. (*^;^*) Ain't that a
> > shame.
> >

> [more entirely justified bragging snipped]
>
> Congrats, Barb. It's always fun to read your reports.
>
> ---jkb

Thanks, Jeff. I've posted the Brownie recipe to my website,
www.jamlady.eboard.com.

Will post it here under a new subject line.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05