Melba's Jammin'

In article
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1
> > of
> > the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.
> >
> > First place ribbons (canning) were for Blackberry Jelly, Cherry
> > Amaretto
> > Jam, and Bread & Butter Pickles (Yesss-s-s-s-!!). Winning the Bread &
> > Butter lot for the third consecutive year means that I will not be
> > allowed to compete in that lot for two years. (*^;^*) Ain't that a
> > shame.
> >

> Other highlights snipped
> > It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.

> Congratulations! I knew you'd come through with ribbons flying.
>
> Now for the hat in hand request: I picked 3 quarts of blackberries
> today. I could have picked more, but I only brought a 3 quart dish.
> Now I need to do something with them. Might I be so bold as to ask for
> the recipes for the blackberry jam and jelly? The SO and I would be
> most grateful.
>
> Cindy

Sweetie, get a package of pectin and follow the recipe -- it's what I
do. Ball Fruit Jell is cheaper than Sure Jell if you can find it. did
I ever mention that my blackberry "stuff" is made from commercially
frozen berries? I use about 4 packages (12-16 ounces each?) and thaw
them. Drain the juice and use it for jelly; use the berries for jam.
I recommend that, otherwise you will use one helluva lot of blackberries
in order to get a decent amount of juice.

IIR, if you use a LIQUID PECTIN recipe for making jelly, they usually
call for two pouches (the full box) of pectin (Ball makes one of those,
too; Certo is more commonly found). If your supply of blackberry juice
is slim, it's easy to make only half a recipe, using one pouch of liquid
pectin. BTDT.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05