Von Fourche

Default How to Cub a Pineapple?

Ok, I would like to buy a fresh pineapple to make a Pina Colada. A
tropical drink book I have says I can use the juice and the fiber from
pineapple crushed in a blender.

My question: how do I go about preparing a pineapple to crush in a
blender to use in a drink?

Do I cut the thing in half and dig out the inside of the pineapple? You
don't throw the whole pineapple including the outside of it in a blender do
you? It's the insides I need to use, right?

How do I get the juice and fiber out and in the blender? Just cut it out
and toss it in?

I've never bought a pineapple before so that's the reason for this crazy
question. I would love to make a Pina Colada using a fresh pineapple.

Thanks!

Von Fourche

"Von Fourche" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> Ok, I would like to buy a fresh pineapple to make a Pina Colada. A
> tropical drink book I have says I can use the juice and the fiber from
> pineapple crushed in a blender.
>
> My question: how do I go about preparing a pineapple to crush in a
> blender to use in a drink?
>
> Do I cut the thing in half and dig out the inside of the pineapple?

You
> don't throw the whole pineapple including the outside of it in a blender

do
> you? It's the insides I need to use, right?
>
> How do I get the juice and fiber out and in the blender? Just cut it

out
> and toss it in?
>
> I've never bought a pineapple before so that's the reason for this

crazy
> question. I would love to make a Pina Colada using a fresh pineapple.
>
> Thanks!

nancree

To cut a pineapple:
1) cut a slice off the top, including, of course, the green "leaves".
2) cut a slice off the bottom.
3) Stand fruit on one end, and slice in half, lengthwise.
4) Slice each half into 4 wedges, lengthwise.
5) Cut out the tough core in each of these pieces and discard.

You will have 8 wedges of pineapple, free of the tough core and the
outside rough skin. Eat and enjoy, or cut further, if you wish.

Regards,
Nancree

nancree

I forgot #6. Cut each piece loose from tough outer skin.

Nancree

nancree

I forgot #6. Cut each piece loose from tough outer skin.

Nancree

jmcquown

nancree wrote:
> I forgot #6. Cut each piece loose from tough outer skin.
>
> Nancree

I find it's easier if you score the cored pineapple down to the skin,
crosswise and lengthwise, then cut along the skin to release pineapple
chunks. The OP wants to make pina colada's so they'll want the pineapple in
chunks prior to tossing in the blender with the other ingredients anyway.

Jill

Sheldon

Von Fourche wrote:
> Ok, I would like to buy a fresh pineapple to make a Pina Colada. A
> tropical drink book I have says I can use the juice and the fiber from
> pineapple crushed in a blender.
>
> My question: how do I go about preparing a pineapple to crush in a
> blender to use in a drink?
>
> Do I cut the thing in half and dig out the inside of the pineapple? You
> don't throw the whole pineapple including the outside of it in a blender do
> you? It's the insides I need to use, right?
>
> How do I get the juice and fiber out and in the blender? Just cut it out
> and toss it in?
>
> I've never bought a pineapple before so that's the reason for this crazy
> question. I would love to make a Pina Colada using a fresh pineapple.

Unless you live in pineapple growing country you are far better off
using canned juice... pineapples sold in US mainland markets are not
fully ripe and never will be... pineapples once picked do NOT ripen.

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 30 Jul 2005 03:01:08a, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> nancree wrote:
>> I forgot #6. Cut each piece loose from tough outer skin.
>>
>> Nancree

> I find it's easier if you score the cored pineapple down to the skin,
> crosswise and lengthwise, then cut along the skin to release pineapple
> chunks. The OP wants to make pina colada's so they'll want the
> pineapple in chunks prior to tossing in the blender with the other
> ingredients anyway.
>
> Jill

That's a great idea, Jill. Never thought of doing it that way.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0530-3, 07/29/2005
Tested on: 7/30/2005 7:15:16 AM

jmcquown

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 30 Jul 2005 03:01:08a, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> nancree wrote:
>>> I forgot #6. Cut each piece loose from tough outer skin.
>>>
>>> Nancree

>> I find it's easier if you score the cored pineapple down to the skin,
>> crosswise and lengthwise, then cut along the skin to release
>> pineapple chunks. The OP wants to make pina colada's so they'll
>> want the pineapple in chunks prior to tossing in the blender with
>> the other ingredients anyway.
>>
>> Jill

> That's a great idea, Jill. Never thought of doing it that way.

Had a party once where I used a halved pineapple, cored, as the
"container" for the pineapple chunks and other fruits with toothpicks stuck
in them. I set the pineapple half on a fairly deep plastic tray filled with
ice to keep it cool. I kept the pineapple otherwise whole (green leafy top
and all) and it looked pretty. Need more fruit? Bring out the other half!

Jill

hob

No, Sheldon, you missed it on pineapples. Pineapples do ripen once picked.

I ripen pineapples regularly. I teach people how to choose and ripen
pineapple.
The only time they do not ripen after picking is when, like nearly any
other fruit, they are picked when very immature (have not reached almost
full size) - which is different than "green".

And, any brand of canned pineapple juice I have had lacks the rich flavor of
ripe pineapple.

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Von Fourche wrote:
> > Ok, I would like to buy a fresh pineapple to make a Pina Colada. A
> > tropical drink book I have says I can use the juice and the fiber from
> > pineapple crushed in a blender.
> >
> > My question: how do I go about preparing a pineapple to crush in a
> > blender to use in a drink?
> >
> > Do I cut the thing in half and dig out the inside of the pineapple?

You
> > don't throw the whole pineapple including the outside of it in a blender

do
> > you? It's the insides I need to use, right?
> >
> > How do I get the juice and fiber out and in the blender? Just cut it

out
> > and toss it in?
> >
> > I've never bought a pineapple before so that's the reason for this

crazy
> > question. I would love to make a Pina Colada using a fresh pineapple.

> Unless you live in pineapple growing country you are far better off
> using canned juice... pineapples sold in US mainland markets are not
> fully ripe and never will be... pineapples once picked do NOT ripen.

Puester

nancree wrote:
> To cut a pineapple:
> 1) cut a slice off the top, including, of course, the green "leaves".
> 2) cut a slice off the bottom.
> 3) Stand fruit on one end, and slice in half, lengthwise.
> 4) Slice each half into 4 wedges, lengthwise.
> 5) Cut out the tough core in each of these pieces and discard.
>
> You will have 8 wedges of pineapple, free of the tough core and the
> outside rough skin. Eat and enjoy, or cut further, if you wish.
>
> Regards,
> Nancree

You never mentioned cutting off the outside skin.

gloria p
Debbie

Von Fourche wrote:
>> Ok, I would like to buy a fresh pineapple to make a Pina Colada.
>> A tropical drink book I have says I can use the juice and the fiber
>> from pineapple crushed in a blender.
>>
>> My question: how do I go about preparing a pineapple to crush in
>> a blender to use in a drink?
>>
>> Do I cut the thing in half and dig out the inside of the
>> pineapple? You don't throw the whole pineapple including the
>> outside of it in a blender do you? It's the insides I need to use,
>> right?
>>
>> How do I get the juice and fiber out and in the blender? Just cut
>> it out and toss it in?
>>
>> I've never bought a pineapple before so that's the reason for
>> this crazy question. I would love to make a Pina Colada using a
>> fresh pineapple.

In local supermarkets, I can get pineapples peeled and cored at the store.
I watched a demo once that went something like this. Cut off the top and a
slice off the bottom so it sits flat. Take a chef's knife and cut away the
outside skin. Don't worry about the "eyes" until all the outer skin is
removed. Now with your knife, start cutting away the eyes in a spiral
patter. It is a little hard to explain, but as you cut away a small strip
containing the eye and move on to the next eye, it looks like a spiral.
This wastes the least amount of pineapple. Then slice in the thicknesses
you desire and cut around inside core to remove.

Debbie

hob

Here's what works for me -
done it on Hawaii and done it in the states, done it with a machete in
the tropics and done in a kitchen with the tools below - so it works, at
least for me

If you want fresh ripe pineapple -

You are unlikely to find a ripe pineapple in a store. So you need to get
one and ripen it-

1) Get one and ripen it

First choose a pineapple that has some yellow on the skin, the darker the
yellow the better. While light green-yellow is usually ok, avoid any "hard
green" pineapples - darker green - they usually won't ripen. Choose a
pineapple that has some pineapple smell, if you can.

Let the pineapple ripen on the counter until the skin is yellow-brown and it
smells strongly of RICH pineapple. Once yellow-brown starts, the pineapple
is near ripe - when ripe, surface of the skin should JUST start to soften.
(Although a little overripe is better than a little underripe). The nose
will also tell you.

2) Then peel it - if it's really ripe, think raincoat amounts of juice

Wash off the pineapple, leaves too, and shake dry.

I then cut the base off enough so I have a flat surface on the bottom of the
pineapple. A ripe pineapple is pretty juicy, and you will be pushing down
against the base, so don't make that cut too deep. Leave a lot of "hard" and
even skin. It will be removed later.

I stand the pineapple on that cut end on a small board in a shallow pan ( to
catch the juice), and I then use a sharp bolo or heavy sharp knife and two
hands (kid uses a serrated bread knife to saw off the skin one-handed) to
cut down, from leaf stem to base, to just remove the layer of skin, leaving
only the little brown bits (nodes/nodules) in the centers of the segments.
Do this to all sides of the pineapple.
(Some people cut deep enough when skinning to remove the little nodules
with the skin, but I think that removes a lot of the flavorful part)

I then use a small-tipped potato peeler (or a paring knife) to remove all
the nodes. You can see how much to take off to get the node, after you dig
out the first couple. Tedious, but necessary.

At this point you should have a pineapple with a hard base that maybe has
some skin at the base, leaves on the other end with some skin under the
leaves, a lot of little holes where the nodes were on the sides, and no
brown nodes or skin on most of the pineapple. And a fair amount of juice in
the pan.

3) Trim (remove the hard) and prepare for presentation-
Note- The cutter gets to chew/share the meaty trims - there is some soft
and some hard and always juice in the meaty trim.

I now cut the base farther up the pineapple, just enough to remove the
hard part and any skin left there from earlier. Base is done.

Now you are at the presentation part - do you want leaves on for decoration
(quarter it and cut off the hard core), do you want a cored whole pineapple
so you can to fill the core with chunks or other fruit or rum-ice (core it
with an apple peeler), do you want a leaf hat on a rum keg (angle-cut the
top off so it fits back on), etc.?

For spears and chunks:
I lop off the leaves and upper stem and any skin under them. Top is done.

I then set the pineapple on end and use the heavy knife to quarter it
lengthwise.

I cut off the hard part of the core from each of the quarters. Pineapple
peeling and trimming is done

You now have four wedges of pineapples without little burrs or cores.

And four core wedges to decorate other drinks (I personally don't use them
in any drinks I might make from the pineapple, because they aren't as sweet
as the eatin' part. IMHO)

4) Drain the juice you caught in the pan through a mesh strainer - I have
had as much as a cup of juice in the pan after peeling and coring.

You now have four large wedges and a container of juice

And wash your hands - I swear the juice digests skin.

hope it helps

"Von Fourche" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> Ok, I would like to buy a fresh pineapple to make a Pina Colada. A
> tropical drink book I have says I can use the juice and the fiber from
> pineapple crushed in a blender.
>
> My question: how do I go about preparing a pineapple to crush in a
> blender to use in a drink?
>
> Do I cut the thing in half and dig out the inside of the pineapple?

You
> don't throw the whole pineapple including the outside of it in a blender

do
> you? It's the insides I need to use, right?
>
> How do I get the juice and fiber out and in the blender? Just cut it

out
> and toss it in?
>
> I've never bought a pineapple before so that's the reason for this

crazy
> question. I would love to make a Pina Colada using a fresh pineapple.
>
> Thanks!

Von Fourche

"hob" > wrote in message
> [...]

done.

> I then set the pineapple on end and use the heavy knife to quarter it
> lengthwise.
>
> I cut off the hard part of the core from each of the quarters.

Pineapple
> peeling and trimming is done
>
> You now have four wedges of pineapples without little burrs or cores.
>
> And four core wedges to decorate other drinks (I personally don't use

them
> in any drinks I might make from the pineapple, because they aren't as

sweet
> as the eatin' part. IMHO)
>
> 4) Drain the juice you caught in the pan through a mesh strainer - I have
> had as much as a cup of juice in the pan after peeling and coring.
>
> You now have four large wedges and a container of juice
>
> And wash your hands - I swear the juice digests skin.

All that work to get pineapple juice for a Pina Colada? lol .

I'm going to pick up a pineapple at the market today but it will be
tomorrow when I make the Pina Coladas. Should I store the pineapple in the
fridge overnight or just let it sit out?

sf

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 19:03:17 GMT, Von Fourche wrote:

> I'm going to pick up a pineapple at the market today but it will be
> tomorrow when I make the Pina Coladas. Should I store the pineapple in the
> fridge overnight or just let it sit out?

Let it sit out.

Sheldon

Von Fourche wrote:
> All that work to get pineapple juice for a Pina Colada? lol .
>
> I'm going to pick up a pineapple at the market today but it will be
> tomorrow when I make the Pina Coladas. Should I store the pineapple in the
> fridge overnight or just let it sit out?

Do not refrigerate. Place on counter with leaves *down*, gravity will
redistribute sugars more evenly throughout the fruit... three days is
ideal but however long you have will be better than not at all. Once
harvested pineapple does not ripen... if it tastes like it's sweeter
(not) that's because it has begun to ferment (rot). Btw, pineapple
juice is not made by pureeing the whole fruit, that simply ruins the
pineapple and results in little juice. Pineapples are juiced by
pressing under high pressure, can't be done at home. The pulp is used
as animal forage. If you want juice buy canned... it's made from far
riper pineapples than you can buy on the US mainland. By the third
colada nothing will much matter anyhow.

Sheldon

Sheldon

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 19:03:17 GMT, Von Fourche wrote:
>
> > I'm going to pick up a pineapple at the market today but it will be
> > tomorrow when I make the Pina Coladas. Should I store the pineapple in the
> > fridge overnight or just let it sit out?

> Let it sit out.

Why... so it can continue to rot?

Sheldon

Sheldon

hob wrote:
> Here's what works for me -
> done it on Hawaii and done it in the states, done it with a machete in
> the tropics and done in a kitchen with the tools below - so it works, at
> least for me
>

> If you want fresh ripe pineapple -
>
> You are unlikely to find a ripe pineapple in a store. So you need to get
> one and ripen it-
>
> 1) Get one and ripen it
>
> First choose a pineapple that has some yellow on the skin, the darker the
> yellow the better. While light green-yellow is usually ok, avoid any "hard
> green" pineapples - darker green - they usually won't ripen. Choose a
> pineapple that has some pineapple smell, if you can.
>
> Let the pineapple ripen on the counter

Idiot/Liar. Once cut pineapple does NOT ripen.

Sheldon

sf

On 30 Jul 2005 12:42:40 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 19:03:17 GMT, Von Fourche wrote:
> >
> > > I'm going to pick up a pineapple at the market today but it will be
> > > tomorrow when I make the Pina Coladas. Should I store the pineapple in the
> > > fridge overnight or just let it sit out?

> > Let it sit out.

> Why... so it can continue to rot?

Yes.
zuuum

How does that leave no rind???

"nancree" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> To cut a pineapple:
> 1) cut a slice off the top, including, of course, the green "leaves".
> 2) cut a slice off the bottom.
> 3) Stand fruit on one end, and slice in half, lengthwise.
> 4) Slice each half into 4 wedges, lengthwise.
> 5) Cut out the tough core in each of these pieces and discard.
>
> You will have 8 wedges of pineapple, free of the tough core and the
> outside rough skin. Eat and enjoy, or cut further, if you wish.
>
> Regards,
> Nancree

zuuum

It's safer to cut off the rind, standing on end ...before you quarter it.

zuuum

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Von Fourche wrote:
>> Ok, I would like to buy a fresh pineapple to make a Pina Colada. A
>> tropical drink book I have says I can use the juice and the fiber from
>> pineapple crushed in a blender.
>>
>> My question: how do I go about preparing a pineapple to crush in a
>> blender to use in a drink?
>>
>> Do I cut the thing in half and dig out the inside of the pineapple?
>> You
>> don't throw the whole pineapple including the outside of it in a blender
>> do
>> you? It's the insides I need to use, right?
>>
>> How do I get the juice and fiber out and in the blender? Just cut it
>> out
>> and toss it in?
>>
>> I've never bought a pineapple before so that's the reason for this
>> crazy
>> question. I would love to make a Pina Colada using a fresh pineapple.

> Unless you live in pineapple growing country you are far better off
> using canned juice... pineapples sold in US mainland markets are not
> fully ripe and never will be... pineapples once picked do NOT ripen.

No kidding. Never had a ripe pineapple until I moved to Hawaii. They are a
totally different experience when they are fully ripe before harvesting. IF
they were shipped ripe, you'd have pineapple brany by the time you ate it.
Oddly, I find the low-acid variety even more distastefull when over-ripe.

zuuum

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 19:03:17 GMT, Von Fourche wrote:
>>
>> > I'm going to pick up a pineapple at the market today but it will be
>> > tomorrow when I make the Pina Coladas. Should I store the pineapple
>> > in the
>> > fridge overnight or just let it sit out?

>> Let it sit out.

> Why... so it can continue to rot?
>
> Sheldon

LOL.. yes, rotting is not the same as ripening. Though nearly any fruit
will change color and soften when left at room temp, it is not ripening.. it
is only aging/rotting. I always judge fruit ripeness the way any other
animal does... aroma.

zuuum

How ripe I am. How ripe I am (hick). Nobody knows (hick) how ripe I am.
Dang, who put the brandy in that thing?

day dreamer@dream .com@

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:29:59 -1000, "zuuum" > wrote:

>It's safer to cut off the rind, standing on end ...before you quarter it.

Sweet pete people. We are talking about skinning a bloody pineapple
here, not building a piano. Break off the stalk, cut the thing in half
peel off the rind, chop it up and throw it in the blender. Problem
solved. It does not matter if you cut it into a square a circle or
carve it to look like the Titanic, you are going to grind it up. For
some of you folks, I'd hate to see the trauma you'd go through if you
had to boil water.

hob

ever tried your own suggested method?

<day dreamer@dream .com@> wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:29:59 -1000, "zuuum" > wrote:
>
> >It's safer to cut off the rind, standing on end ...before you quarter it.
> >

> Sweet pete people. We are talking about skinning a bloody pineapple
> here, not building a piano. Break off the stalk, cut the thing in half
> peel off the rind, chop it up and throw it in the blender. Problem
> solved. It does not matter if you cut it into a square a circle or
> carve it to look like the Titanic, you are going to grind it up. For
> some of you folks, I'd hate to see the trauma you'd go through if you
> had to boil water.

hob

buy juice

> [...]

> > And four core wedges to decorate other drinks (I personally don't use

> them
> > in any drinks I might make from the pineapple, because they aren't as

> sweet
> > as the eatin' part. IMHO)
> >
> > 4) Drain the juice you caught in the pan through a mesh strainer - I

have
> > had as much as a cup of juice in the pan after peeling and coring.
> >
> > You now have four large wedges and a container of juice
> >
> > And wash your hands - I swear the juice digests skin.
> >
> > hope it helps

> All that work to get pineapple juice for a Pina Colada? lol .
>
> I'm going to pick up a pineapple at the market today but it will be
> tomorrow when I make the Pina Coladas. Should I store the pineapple in

the
> fridge overnight or just let it sit out?

day dreamer@dream .com@

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:04:33 -0500, "hob" >
wrote:

>ever tried your own suggested method?

Yes I have, no problemo. The blender doesn't care what it looks like.

hob

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> hob wrote:
> > Here's what works for me -
> > done it on Hawaii and done it in the states, done it with a machete

in
> > the tropics and done in a kitchen with the tools below - so it works,

at
> > least for me
> >

> > If you want fresh ripe pineapple -
> >
> > You are unlikely to find a ripe pineapple in a store. So you need to

get
> > one and ripen it-
> >
> > 1) Get one and ripen it
> >
> > First choose a pineapple that has some yellow on the skin, the darker

the
> > yellow the better. While light green-yellow is usually ok, avoid any

"hard
> > green" pineapples - darker green - they usually won't ripen. Choose a
> > pineapple that has some pineapple smell, if you can.
> >
> > Let the pineapple ripen on the counter

> Idiot/Liar. Once cut pineapple does NOT ripen.

odd - the ones I "ripen" on the counter turn from light green to yellow then
to yellow with brown in the edges - and that looks just the same as the ones
I get from the fields and stands in Hawaii. (And my palate is excellent)

Apparently when an apple turns from green to yellow on my counter, that is
ripening, but when a pineapple turns from green to yellow on my counter,
that is not ripening - it is "othering"

Please cite the "authority" that states a pineapple does not ripen once
picked - (and please, not the Dole
marketing-of-canned-pineapple-you-can't-get-any-better-than-canned-BS
department pap put out for foppish haulis)

> Sheldon

sf

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:18:40 -0500, hob wrote:

> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > hob wrote:
> > >
> > > Let the pineapple ripen on the counter

> > Idiot/Liar. Once cut pineapple does NOT ripen.

> odd - the ones I "ripen" on the counter turn from light green to yellow then
> to yellow with brown in the edges - and that looks just the same as the ones
> I get from the fields and stands in Hawaii. (And my palate is excellent)
>
> Apparently when an apple turns from green to yellow on my counter, that is
> ripening, but when a pineapple turns from green to yellow on my counter,
> that is not ripening - it is "othering"

You two are on completely different subjects... cut - whole pineapple

aem

hob wrote:
> [snip]
> Please cite the "authority" that states a pineapple does not ripen once
> picked - (and please, not the Dole
> marketing-of-canned-pineapple-you-can't-get-any-better-than-canned-BS
> department pap put out for foppish haulis)

The lengthy quote below is from www.wholehealthmd.com, a reasonably
reliable source about food (though they do not do a good job citing
their sources of information): -aem

"Once the fruit has been harvested, it won't get any sweeter, so
growers ripen pineapples on the plant to a point where they are almost
fully ripe, with a high sugar content and plenty of juice. (If too
ripe, the fruit may spoil before it gets to market.) After harvesting,
the pineapples are shipped as quickly as possible, arriving within two
to three days.

"Because a picked pineapple will only get older but will never develop
more sweetness or juiciness, most of the traditional tricks for judging
its "ripeness" are unreliable. For example, don't bother trying to
judge the fruit by its color: the skin of a pineapple that was picked
before it was ripe may in fact turn a lovely golden yellow, but the
fruit on the inside will be just as unsweet as it was when picked. The
same goes for other methods--thumping it to test its "soundness" or
pulling a crown leaf to see how loose it is. These will only be a guide
to the age, not to the sweetness of the fruit within.

"Your best guide to "ripeness" is a label or tag indicating that the
pineapple was jet-shipped from Hawaii. These pineapples are more likely
to be in prime condition (and also more expensive) than those brought
in by truck or boat from Latin America. In addition, because pineapples
brought in from Central America have a longer journey, they are often
picked too green, which means they may be fibrous and not very sweet.

"One relatively reliable guide to a pineapple's goodness is its
fragrance (though if the fruit is cold, the aroma may not be apparent).
Sniff it at the stem end."

aem

aem wrote:

> The lengthy quote below is from www.wholehealthmd.com, a reasonably
> reliable source about food (though they do not do a good job citing
> their sources of information): -aem

Now that I've gone ahead and cited this website, I should add that I do
not endorse their 'alternative' claims about the benefits of this or
the harm in that. There may be some basis for some of what they say,
but like most sources in this area there is far too little genuine
science and research behind it. Sound nutritional science is in its
infancy still, probably because all the money for decades has been
devoted to pharmaceuticals. So if anyone goes to check out the
website, practice healthy skepticism.

That said, I haven't seen any obvious b.s. in their Foods descriptions.
-aem

hob

"zuuum" > wrote in message

> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Von Fourche wrote:
> >> Ok, I would like to buy a fresh pineapple to make a Pina Colada. A
> >> tropical drink book I have says I can use the juice and the fiber from
> >> pineapple crushed in a blender.
> >>
> >> My question: how do I go about preparing a pineapple to crush in a
> >> blender to use in a drink?
> >>
> >> Do I cut the thing in half and dig out the inside of the pineapple?
> >> You
> >> don't throw the whole pineapple including the outside of it in a

blender
> >> do
> >> you? It's the insides I need to use, right?
> >>
> >> How do I get the juice and fiber out and in the blender? Just cut it
> >> out
> >> and toss it in?
> >>
> >> I've never bought a pineapple before so that's the reason for this
> >> crazy
> >> question. I would love to make a Pina Colada using a fresh pineapple.

> > Unless you live in pineapple growing country you are far better off
> > using canned juice... pineapples sold in US mainland markets are not
> > fully ripe and never will be... pineapples once picked do NOT ripen.
> >

> No kidding. Never had a ripe pineapple until I moved to Hawaii. They are

> totally different experience when they are fully ripe before harvesting.

IF
> they were shipped ripe, you'd have pineapple brany by the time you ate it.

Bull - lived and vaction in hawaii (Kauii and Maui), worked with grocers and
Dole, have friends who still work for Dole, done shipping out of there.

1) Most of those roadside sellers get a couple boxes from Dole and set them
on the shelf for a few days to turn and then sell it to tourists who think
they are "the real thing" "ripened in the fields". (That from roadside
seller friends on Kauii - next time you get a pineapple at a stand, eyeball
out back for the Dole cartons - and see the dates.)

2) You assume they ship stalk-on pineapple by boat? If you ever had sent
anything commercial out of Hawaii, you would know that for decades it's been
cheaper net, and far faster, to ship a box of perishables as an air
container than by shipping by other methods.
Box 'em in the fields, put the pallet of boxes from the field into the
container on the road truck, load it on the plane in its container slot, and
chill them in the air "for free" by setting the cargo bay temp appropriately
and moving controlled outside air through the container's filters. Field to
air in as short as 4 hours.

You can get pineapple from the field to Minneapolis shelf (under 16
hours) faster than you can get it from the field to the shelf on most of the
roadside stands in Hawaii - At some upscale stores in the states, they
are on the shelves in their stores before grocery stores in Hawaii even get
them in their back door (deliberately and contractually, in many cases)
- that 16 fours proudly stated to me by shippers and others.

3) If you ever did any farming, you would know how utterly foolish it is to
say that pineapple juice in the cans is ripe from the field.
Twenty thousand pineapples in a field do not ripen all at once, they
ripen as a bell curve - a few early, a few late, etc. - and you don't
hand-choose perfectly ripe pineapples unless you want to go broke from labor
costs - you harvest based on sampling and probability and base it not on
ripeness but rather on maximum juice from the product, minimal acceptable
loss, least labor cost, etc. It's a business, not an exercise for diletantes
or romantics.
You get canned pineapple juice just to the green side of fully ripe, with
pressed missed greens and skins juiced in with it.

4) Shipping time is money in the grocery business, be it meat or fruit or
seafood - e.g., seafood today gets into upscale midwest groceries as fast or
faster than it gets into the fish market in Boston - (cleaned/fileted and
iced and into the small container on the trawler and then onto the truck on
the dock before the trawler motor is barely off, up in the air on an early
am cargo plane out of Logan, and on Minneapolis store shelves by 8 am -same
day as it was caught.)
Stalk-on pineapple does not sit on a boat on ice for weeks waiting to be
handled and rehandled.
And it sure as hell doesn't turn to "brandy" or ferment, unless you leave
it on the shelf for weeks past ripe, until it turns all brown and sags.

Especially alcohol derived from sugar and yeast, alcohol from a green
relatively sugarless fruit that allegedly cannot ripen and create sugar.

5) Is not the definition of "ripen" - the changing of the pulp area
surrounding the propagation mechanisms into sugars, sugars which will
attract propagating vectors?

If that change to sugar on the counter is not ripening, then what is.

nuff said -
I will ripen my pineapple on the counter here and on the counter on Kauii
and fully enjoy it,

and you buy your "ripe" juice and eat green pineapple and pine for Hawaii
where the roadsiders ripen it for you on their shelves.

> Oddly, I find the low-acid variety even more distastefull when over-ripe.

Sheldon

hob wrote:
> No, Sheldon, you missed it on pineapples. Pineapples do ripen once picked.

Figures, your name rhymes with bob... you're an idiot.

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...523,64,00.html

Sheldon

hob

"aem" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> hob wrote:
> > [snip]
> > Please cite the "authority" that states a pineapple does not ripen once
> > picked - (and please, not the Dole
> > marketing-of-canned-pineapple-you-can't-get-any-better-than-canned-BS
> > department pap put out for foppish haulis)
> >

> The lengthy quote below is from www.wholehealthmd.com, a reasonably
> reliable source about food (though they do not do a good job citing
> their sources of information): -aem

Thank you for the cite - I checked it out, and find they, like many websites
made by eager citizens with an opinion and unchecked by proper scientific
review, are in error.

Their theory is in direct conflict with University extension service
bulletins in my files, and in conflict with old experienced experts from the
U who taught me the various methods I use, and the websites theory is
refuted by my own experiences and practices as to ripening fruit.

The theory can be refuted by proper interpretation of plant theory and also
by a simple home experiment

1) I will hazard a guess as to why their theory fails in application and is
in conflict with Univcersity extension recommendations: it appears that they
locked onto a factoid and ignoring scientific or plant process, they
erroneously extended it, to wit

- they are indeed correct that once the stem is no longer attached to the
fruit, the plant cannot move ANY MORE sugar into the fruit.
However, their extension of that factoid into no further
ripenign/sugaring in the fruit erroneously assumes that sugar present in the
fruit when we eat it only comes from the stem, and it erroneously assumes
that the fruit cannot convert its own stored starch into sugar once it is
removed from the stem, and it erroneously assumes that there must be starch
in the stem to make sugar in the fruit.

They totally ignore/missed the plant's conversion of stored starch in the
fruit back into sugar and the usual mechanism of sugar-starch conversions in
the plant cycle.

Their error is in several parts -
First, the plant uses sunlight and nutrients to FIRST make readily
transported sugars in the earlier parts of the day, which are converted into
relatively locked-in-place starches in the roots and developing fruits
during the later parts of the day and evening. It is a daily cycle of
making transportable sugars and converting sugar into localized starch
deposits.
When it makes fruit, it deposits the starch in the cellulose matrix FROM
DAY ONE, in addition to bitter or sour repellents used to deter foraging
animals before the appropriate time. There is no sudden
"now-lets-put-sugar-into-the-fruit-cellulose-thru-the-stem" day on its
calendar.

Second, plants convert that reserve starch into useable sugar as is
needed. The unripened fruit is a matrix of celeulose and starch. When the
plant determines the time for attracting vectors for its propagation, it
converts the starch stored in the fruit matrix into sugar - it does NOT
start to deliver sugar to the fruit matrix and suddenly pump the fruit full
of sugar thru the stem.

2) the home test

Their claim is that neither melons nor pineapple will sweeten once picked.
Any farmer will tell you that they are flat out wrong.
Break a stem in a melon patch on almost any reasonable size of unripe
melon, and it will ripen in resposne to the stopping of flow of its
necessary sugar, converting its internal starch wholesale into sugar and
losing its chlorophyl as the daily sugar-starch cycle reverses.

Try the following as a home test using a muskmelon.

Pick two (or three to have an overripe melon) melons as identical as you can
get, that appear fully developed in size but have little or no melon odor on
the stem end (we want three just-green unripe melons here) .

Open and eat one immediately that day. Check its odor and sweetness
subjectively. Save some in the refrigerator.

Let the other two sit on the counter and check them daily, until the skin of
one just barely gives to the touch and the stem end smells of melon. Open
it and eat it and check its odor and sweetness subjectively against the
first melon. It will be much sweeter than the first. Save some in the
refrigerator.

Let the last one sit until the sides start to dent in. Open it and eat it
and check its odor and sweetness subjectively.

Now take out all three melon's parts and taste them all, and determine for
yourself if the melon got sweeter as the internal stored starch in the melon
converted back into sugar, or if they are all the same sweetness because the
fruit was cut off from any further infusion of sugar thru the stem once
removed from the stem

> "Once the fruit has been harvested, it won't get any sweeter,

This is patently not correct - it it rue that it will not receive any more
sugar thru the stem, but that does not stop its internal starch from being
converted to sugar in an autonomus reversal of the sugar-starch cycle,
making it sweeter.

so
> growers ripen pineapples on the plant to a point where they are almost
> fully ripe, with a high sugar content and plenty of juice. (If too
> ripe, the fruit may spoil before it gets to market.) After harvesting,
> the pineapples are shipped as quickly as possible, arriving within two
> to three days.
>
> "Because a picked pineapple will only get older but will never develop
> more sweetness or juiciness, most of the traditional tricks for judging
> its "ripeness" are unreliable. For example, don't bother trying to
> judge the fruit by its color: the skin of a pineapple that was picked
> before it was ripe may in fact turn a lovely golden yellow, but the
> fruit on the inside will be just as unsweet as it was when picked. The
> same goes for other methods--thumping it to test its "soundness" or
> pulling a crown leaf to see how loose it is. These will only be a guide
> to the age, not to the sweetness of the fruit within.
>
> "Your best guide to "ripeness" is a label or tag indicating that the
> pineapple was jet-shipped from Hawaii. These pineapples are more likely
> to be in prime condition (and also more expensive) than those brought
> in by truck or boat from Latin America. In addition, because pineapples
> brought in from Central America have a longer journey, they are often
> picked too green, which means they may be fibrous and not very sweet.
>
> "One relatively reliable guide to a pineapple's goodness is its
> fragrance (though if the fruit is cold, the aroma may not be apparent).
> Sniff it at the stem end."

Sheldon

hob wrote:
> "aem" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > hob wrote:
> > > [snip]
> > > Please cite the "authority" that states a pineapple does not ripen once
> > > picked - (and please, not the Dole
> > > marketing-of-canned-pineapple-you-can't-get-any-better-than-canned-BS
> > > department pap put out for foppish haulis)
> > >

> > The lengthy quote below is from www.wholehealthmd.com, a reasonably
> > reliable source about food (though they do not do a good job citing
> > their sources of information): -aem

> Thank you for the cite - I checked it out, and find they, like many websites
> made by eager citizens with an opinion and unchecked by proper scientific
> review, are in error.
>
> Their theory is in direct conflict with University extension service
> bulletins in my files,

You're a friggin' cartoon, hob... extract your files from your dumb
ass... the hob/bob MORON has yet to supply any citation other than his
big stupid verbose maw... yoose gots to be yet another thick headed WOP
*******.

http://www.hawaii.edu/ur/University_...ineapple3.html

University of Hawai'i
University Relations
Media & Publications
Honolulu, HI 96822
(808) 956-8856 Telephone
(808) 956-3441 Facsimile
E-Mail

Ripening a Pineapple at Home

Do you sometimes buy an under-ripe pineapple anticipating that it will
ripen at home? Don't bet on it.

Duane Bartholomew, dean of the University of Hawaii agronomy and soil
science department, says a pineapple is ready to eat when harvested.
The flavor of one that is harvested too early will change only slightly
if left to ripen at home.

Some fruits such as bananas, peaches and pears do ripen when kept at
room temperature for a few days because they contain starch that is
converted to sugar during the ripening process. But not pineapple.

As the pineapple sits on your kitchen counter, its shell will gradually
turn yellow beginning at the base of the fruit. If left standing for a
few days, the fruit will become completely yellow. But there will be no
increase in sugars as would occur if the fruit had been allowed to
ripen in the field.
---

Sheldon

kilikini

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> hob wrote:
> > "aem" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...

once

marketing-of-canned-pineapple-you-can't-get-any-better-than-canned-BS

> > > The lengthy quote below is from www.wholehealthmd.com, a reasonably
> > > reliable source about food (though they do not do a good job citing
> > > their sources of information): -aem

> > Thank you for the cite - I checked it out, and find they, like many

websites
> > made by eager citizens with an opinion and unchecked by proper

scientific
> > review, are in error.
> >
> > Their theory is in direct conflict with University extension service
> > bulletins in my files,

> You're a friggin' cartoon, hob... extract your files from your dumb
> ass... the hob/bob MORON has yet to supply any citation other than his
> big stupid verbose maw... yoose gots to be yet another thick headed WOP
> *******.

Actually, Sheldon's right. A pineapple needs to be ripe when picked or it
just kind of sits and rots. It *does* and *will* turn more golden in color,
but the texture of the fruit starts to get mushy. Why? It's starting to
rot.

There's nothing better in the world, seriously, then being in a car behind a
truck of freshly picked pineapple. GOD! I miss that! The fragrance is way
better than any aphrodesiac!

kili

Sheldon

kilikini wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > hob wrote:
> > > "aem" > wrote in message
> > > ups.com...

> once
> > > > >

> marketing-of-canned-pineapple-you-can't-get-any-better-than-canned-BS

> > > Thank you for the cite - I checked it out, and find they, like many

> websites
> > > made by eager citizens with an opinion and unchecked by proper

> scientific
> > > review, are in error.
> > >
> > > Their theory is in direct conflict with University extension service
> > > bulletins in my files,

> > You're a friggin' cartoon, hob... extract your files from your dumb
> > ass... the hob/bob MORON has yet to supply any citation other than his
> > big stupid verbose maw... yoose gots to be yet another thick headed WOP
> > *******.
> >

> Actually, Sheldon's right. A pineapple needs to be ripe when picked or it
> just kind of sits and rots. It *does* and *will* turn more golden in color,
> but the texture of the fruit starts to get mushy. Why? It's starting to
> rot.
>
> There's nothing better in the world, seriously, then being in a car behind a
> truck of freshly picked pineapple. GOD! I miss that! The fragrance is way
> better than any aphrodesiac!
>
> kili

Oh baby, wait'll you try my world famous aloha pineapple slurpy! LOL

Sheldon

zxcvbob

aem wrote:
> hob wrote:
>
>>[snip]
>>Please cite the "authority" that states a pineapple does not ripen once
>>picked - (and please, not the Dole
>>marketing-of-canned-pineapple-you-can't-get-any-better-than-canned-BS
>>department pap put out for foppish haulis)
>>

> The lengthy quote below is from www.wholehealthmd.com, a reasonably
> reliable source about food (though they do not do a good job citing
> their sources of information): -aem
>
> "Once the fruit has been harvested, it won't get any sweeter, so
> growers ripen pineapples on the plant to a point where they are almost
> fully ripe, with a high sugar content and plenty of juice. (If too
> ripe, the fruit may spoil before it gets to market.) After harvesting,
> the pineapples are shipped as quickly as possible, arriving within two
> to three days.
>
> "Because a picked pineapple will only get older but will never develop
> more sweetness or juiciness, most of the traditional tricks for judging
> its "ripeness" are unreliable. For example, don't bother trying to
> judge the fruit by its color: the skin of a pineapple that was picked
> before it was ripe may in fact turn a lovely golden yellow, but the
> fruit on the inside will be just as unsweet as it was when picked. The
> same goes for other methods--thumping it to test its "soundness" or
> pulling a crown leaf to see how loose it is. These will only be a guide
> to the age, not to the sweetness of the fruit within.
>
> "Your best guide to "ripeness" is a label or tag indicating that the
> pineapple was jet-shipped from Hawaii. These pineapples are more likely
> to be in prime condition (and also more expensive) than those brought
> in by truck or boat from Latin America. In addition, because pineapples
> brought in from Central America have a longer journey, they are often
> picked too green, which means they may be fibrous and not very sweet.
>
> "One relatively reliable guide to a pineapple's goodness is its
> fragrance (though if the fruit is cold, the aroma may not be apparent).
> Sniff it at the stem end."

Del Monte Gold pineapples -- from Costa Rica, I think -- are picked
riper than Hawaii pineapples. Del Monte is working on a new gold
pineapple that I think they're calling "HoneyGold" (like the apple) that
can be picked ripe and does not deteriorate nearly as quickly as other
pineapples. I'm not sure how soon it is to market. Other brands of
gold pineapples that I've tried are just posers (but are probably
gaining on Del Monte)

Best regards,
Bob <-- owns stock in Del Monte (FDP)
kilikini

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> aem wrote:
> > hob wrote:
> >

> Del Monte Gold pineapples -- from Costa Rica, I think -- are picked
> riper than Hawaii pineapples. Del Monte is working on a new gold
> pineapple that I think they're calling "HoneyGold" (like the apple) that
> can be picked ripe and does not deteriorate nearly as quickly as other
> pineapples. I'm not sure how soon it is to market. Other brands of
> gold pineapples that I've tried are just posers (but are probably
> gaining on Del Monte)
>
> Best regards,
> Bob <-- owns stock in Del Monte (FDP)

Yeah, I've heard of these pineapples, but I've heard that the texture or
flavor isn't quite up to standard. Hawaii's working on one like that as
well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

kili