Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fully ripe pineapple vs. barely ripe pineapple

If barely ripe pineapple has bit of sour ttse unlike the fully ripe
one which is sweet, is the sugar content (fructose form) the same or
less if compared between the pinepples of same size of the two types
(fully ripe pineapple and . barely ripe pineapple)?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby > wrote:

>If barely ripe pineapple has bit of sour ttse unlike the fully ripe
>one which is sweet, is the sugar content (fructose form) the same or
>less if compared between the pinepples of same size of the two types
>(fully ripe pineapple and . barely ripe pineapple)?

Very difficult to say. Sugars within a plant can transform between
glucose and fructose and back, as the plant develops and ripen.
They can also shift between monosaccharides, disaccharides, and
polysaccharides. This has been studied in cases where it is economically
important, such as wine grapes, but I do not know about pineapple.

In the base case though as a fruit ripens the polysaccharides (starches)
break down into more simple sugars.

Steve

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 22, 4:27*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article >,
> (Steve Pope) wrote:
>
> > Very difficult to say. *Sugars within a plant can transform between
> > glucose and fructose and back, as the plant develops and ripen. *
> > They can also shift between monosaccharides, disaccharides, and
> > polysaccharides. *This has been studied in cases where it is economically
> > important, such as wine grapes, but I do not know about pineapple.

> Many fruits have a significant amount of sucrose in them.
>
> (raw pineapple, sugar in %)
>
> Type * * * * * * * * * * * * *Sucrose * * *Glucose * * *Fructose
> ==== * * * * * * * * * * * * *======= * * *======= * * *========
>
> all varieties * * * * * * * * * 6 * * * * * * 2 * * * * * * 2
> extra sweet variety * * * * * * 6 * * * * * * 2 * * * * * * 2
> tradition varieties * * * * * * 5 * * * * * * 2 * * * * * * 2
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

Since sucrose and fructose will be converted to glucose in the body,
regardless of the pineapple one eats, one would end up getting the
same amount of sugar (the end type, i.e. glucose) for the same size of
serving, right?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby > wrote:

>Since sucrose and fructose will be converted to glucose in the body,
>regardless of the pineapple one eats, one would end up getting the
>same amount of sugar (the end type, i.e. glucose) for the same size of
>serving, right?

Yes. But the different metabolic pathways may have some slightly
different influence, especially on people with certain disease
conditions.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 22, 5:31*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Manda Ruby > wrote:
>
> >Since sucrose and fructose *will be converted to glucose in the body,
> >regardless of the pineapple one eats, one would end up getting the
> >same amount of sugar (the end type, i.e. glucose) for the same size of
> >serving, right?

> Yes. *But the different metabolic pathways may have some slightly
> different influence, especially on people with certain disease
> conditions.
>
> Steve

I see.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> Manda Ruby wrote:
>> If barely ripe pineapple has bit of sour ttse unlike the fully ripe
>> one which is sweet, is the sugar content (fructose form) the same or
>> less if compared between the pinepples of same size of the two types
>> (fully ripe pineapple and . barely ripe pineapple)?

> Get hold of a handheld refractometer to measure total sugars and see
> Any student chem lab will have one.

Or you could just use your eyes. When confronted with pineapple pieces,
you'd be wise to choose the darker, semi-translucent pieces first,
unless you enjoy sour pine. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby wrote:

> If barely ripe pineapple has bit of sour ttse unlike the fully ripe
> one which is sweet, is the sugar content (fructose form) the same or
> less if compared between the pinepples of same size of the two types
> (fully ripe pineapple and . barely ripe pineapple)?

Get hold of a handheld refractometer to measure total sugars and see
Any student chem lab will have one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> Arri London wrote:
>>
>> Manda Ruby wrote:
>>> If barely ripe pineapple has bit of sour ttse unlike the fully ripe
>>> one which is sweet, is the sugar content (fructose form) the same or
>>> less if compared between the pinepples of same size of the two types
>>> (fully ripe pineapple and . barely ripe pineapple)?

>> Get hold of a handheld refractometer to measure total sugars and see
>> Any student chem lab will have one.

> Or you could just use your eyes. When confronted with pineapple pieces,
> you'd be wise to choose the darker, semi-translucent pieces first,
> unless you enjoy sour pine. :-)

I'd say "yellower" not darker. But that is pieces so not very
useful when it comes to whole pineapples.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> Arri London wrote:

>>> Get hold of a handheld refractometer to measure total sugars and see
>>> Any student chem lab will have one.

>> Or you could just use your eyes. When confronted with pineapple
>> pieces, you'd be wise to choose the darker, semi-translucent pieces
>> first, unless you enjoy sour pine. :-)

> I'd say "yellower" not darker. But that is pieces so not very useful
> when it comes to whole pineapples.

About the only thing you can do for whole pineapples is to sniff the
part that's broken off the plant. I'll use fresh pineapple as a
tenderizing marinade although the meat can't be exposed to the stuff
more than thirty minutes or so. Fresh pine will also neutralize the fire
of a hot chili pepper faster than a glass of milk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:

> dsi1 wrote:
> > Arri London wrote:

> >> Get hold of a handheld refractometer to measure total sugars and see
> >> Any student chem lab will have one.

> > Or you could just use your eyes. When confronted with pineapple pieces,
> > you'd be wise to choose the darker, semi-translucent pieces first,
> > unless you enjoy sour pine. :-)

> I'd say "yellower" not darker. But that is pieces so not very
> useful when it comes to whole pineapples.
>
> --
> Jean B.

Agreed as to the colour. And the smell; a ripe pineapple smells very
different when cut than a less ripe one.

When visiting friends in France, took a walk through a neighbour's
vineyard. Surreptiously nicked a grape from a vine at one end to taste.
Very sweet..this was late August so the harvest was near. Confessed to
the friend who asked if the grapes were ready to pick. Said I'd left the
refractometer at home so couldn't say However that *is* what owners
use to determine if the grapes are ready.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 6:18*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
> Arri London wrote:
>
> > Manda Ruby wrote:
> >> If barely ripe pineapple has *bit of sour ttse unlike the fully ripe
> >> one which is sweet, is the sugar content (fructose form) the same or
> >> less if compared between the pinepples of same size of the two types
> >> (fully ripe pineapple and . barely ripe pineapple)?

> > Get hold of a handheld refractometer to measure total sugars and see
> > Any student chem lab will have one.

> Or you could just use your eyes.

Your answers to his response made me realize that his response was to
the question how to choose a ripe pineapple versus not barely ripe
one, which btw, was not my question. Sorry. My question was not about
choosing ripe pineapple versus barely ripe pineapple. The question
was literally about comparing total amount of sugar content in
pineapples of the same size. Of course, there is a reason behind the
question and it had to do with eating pineapple of ripe one versus
barely ripe one. The only justification to choose a barely ripe
pineapple would be if it has less sugar content than the ripe one of
the same size when both are the same price.

> When confronted with pineapple pieces,
> you'd be wise to choose the darker, semi-translucent pieces first,
> unless you enjoy sour pine. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby wrote:
> On Nov 23, 6:18 pm, dsi1 > wrote:
>> Arri London wrote:

>>> Get hold of a handheld refractometer to measure total sugars and see
>>> Any student chem lab will have one.

>> Or you could just use your eyes.

> Your answers to his response made me realize that his response was to
> the question how to choose a ripe pineapple versus not barely ripe
> one, which btw, was not my question. Sorry. My question was not about
> choosing ripe pineapple versus barely ripe pineapple. The question
> was literally about comparing total amount of sugar content in
> pineapples of the same size. Of course, there is a reason behind the
> question and it had to do with eating pineapple of ripe one versus
> barely ripe one. The only justification to choose a barely ripe
> pineapple would be if it has less sugar content than the ripe one of
> the same size when both are the same price.

My guess is that a ripe pineapple would contain more sugar than a less
ripe one. What you're probably interested in is percentages of available
sugars in ripe fruit vs unripe. It might be that the differences are
considerable, if taste is any kind of a reliable indicator.

>> When confronted with pineapple pieces,
>> you'd be wise to choose the darker, semi-translucent pieces first,
>> unless you enjoy sour pine. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby wrote:

> On Nov 23, 6:18 pm, dsi1 > wrote:
> > Arri London wrote:

> > > Get hold of a handheld refractometer to measure total sugars and see
> > > Any student chem lab will have one.

> > Or you could just use your eyes.

> Your answers to his response made me realize that his response was to
> the question how to choose a ripe pineapple versus not barely ripe
> one, which btw, was not my question. Sorry. My question was not about
> choosing ripe pineapple versus barely ripe pineapple. The question
> was literally about comparing total amount of sugar content in
> pineapples of the same size.

And my answer was equally literal! The easiest way to measure sugar
content is with a refractometer, such as winemakers use. It's first-year
basic chemistry and quite fun. Your taste will tell you which is sweeter
but of course that isn't quantitative

Of course, there is a reason behind the
> question and it had to do with eating pineapple of ripe one versus
> barely ripe one. The only justification to choose a barely ripe
> pineapple would be if it has less sugar content than the ripe one of
> the same size when both are the same price.
>
> > When confronted with pineapple pieces,
> > you'd be wise to choose the darker, semi-translucent pieces first,
> > unless you enjoy sour pine. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 11:06*pm, Manda Ruby > wrote:

> > > Get hold of a handheld refractometer to measure total sugars and see
> > > Any student chem lab will have one.

> > Or you could just use your eyes.

> *Your answers to his response made me realize that his response was to
> the question how to choose a ripe pineapple versus not barely ripe

Oops..I meant to say not so ripe (or barely ripe)

> one, which btw, was not my question. *Sorry. My question was not about
> choosing ripe pineapple versus barely ripe pineapple. *The question
> was literally about comparing total amount of sugar content in
> pineapples of the same size. *Of course, there is a reason behind the
> question and it had to do with eating pineapple of ripe one versus
> barely ripe one. * The only justification to choose a barely ripe
> pineapple would be if it has less sugar content than the ripe one of
> the same size when both are the same price.
>

> > *When confronted with pineapple pieces,
> > you'd be wise to choose the darker, semi-translucent pieces first,
> > unless you enjoy sour pine. :-)- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 25, 4:33*pm, Arri London > wrote:
> Manda Ruby wrote:

> > > Or you could just use your eyes.

> > *Your answers to his response made me realize that his response was to
> > the question how to choose a ripe pineapple versus not barely ripe
> > one, which btw, was not my question. *Sorry. My question was not about
> > choosing ripe pineapple versus barely ripe pineapple. *The question
> > was literally about comparing total amount of sugar content in
> > pineapples of the same size. *

> And my answer was equally literal! The easiest way to measure sugar
> content is with a refractometer, such as winemakers use. It's first-year
> basic chemistry and quite fun. Your taste will tell you which is sweeter
> but of course that isn't quantitative

I was after approximate quantitive but it seems that at the end, ripe
and sweet or not fully ripe and ehnce not that sweet, thee both would
give me the same amount of glucose at the end. Then, I might as well
eat the sweeter one though Steve made a good point about the effect
on metablic pathway
by different form of sugar. This link has some interesting info (not
on sugar content inpineappleabout:
http://www.sixwise.com/Newsletters/2...Difference.htm

Glucose, Sucrose or Fructose: Is One Better Than Another?
http://www.healthnews.com/glucose-su...r-than-another

"At the end of the study period, both groups had gained similar
amounts of weight, but those consuming fructose-sweetened drinks
showed an increase in intra-abdominal fat, the kind that embeds itself
between tissues in organs, became less sensitive to insulin (the
hormone released by the pancreas that controls blood sugar), and
showed signs of dyslipidemia—elevated blood levels of lipids. The
fructose group also showed increased fat production in the liver,
elevated LDL or bad cholesterol and larger increases in blood
triglycerides. The group drinking glucose-sweetened beverages showed
none of these changes"