Bill

Default "Memphis Style Barbecue"

Did anybody see the segment on the Travel Channel the other day rating
different styles of barbecue from around the country? Apparently, the
panel of taste testers decided Memphis Style was the most delicious.
Does anybody know how to prepare "Memphis Style" barbecue?

Regards,
Bill
:-)

jmcquown

Bill wrote:
> Did anybody see the segment on the Travel Channel the other day rating
> different styles of barbecue from around the country? Apparently, the
> panel of taste testers decided Memphis Style was the most delicious.
> Does anybody know how to prepare "Memphis Style" barbecue?
>
> Regards,
> Bill
> :-)

Hi Bill! Jill in Memphis here I didn't see that show but I have to tell
you... there are so many styles of Q in Memphis it's not funny. What were
they featuring? Ribs? Pulled pork shoulder? Sauces? and if sauces, vinegar
vs. mustard based?

Jill

alzelt

jmcquown wrote:

> Bill wrote:
>
>>Did anybody see the segment on the Travel Channel the other day rating
>>different styles of barbecue from around the country? Apparently, the
>>panel of taste testers decided Memphis Style was the most delicious.
>>Does anybody know how to prepare "Memphis Style" barbecue?
>>
>>Regards,
>>Bill
>>:-)

> Hi Bill! Jill in Memphis here I didn't see that show but I have to tell
> you... there are so many styles of Q in Memphis it's not funny. What were
> they featuring? Ribs? Pulled pork shoulder? Sauces? and if sauces, vinegar
> vs. mustard based?
>
> Jill

Or not sauces, like dry rub made famous by Rendezvous.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

T E

(Bill) Wrote:
Did anybody see the segment on the Travel Channel the other day rating
different styles of barbecue from around the country? Apparently, the
panel of taste testers decided Memphis Style was the most delicious.
Does anybody know how to prepare "Memphis Style" barbecue?
Regards,
Bill ------------------------------------------------------------
Response: Yes, I watch that special also.
But I learned a long time ago a group of panelist whether they are
cowboys, food critics, or a newspaper review don't speak for myself or
alot of other people.
There is a Memphis Smokehouse restaurant near me and the waiting time
for a table is long enough that the manager supplies beepers to
customers so they can walk around the nearby shops till they are paged.
Never having tried Memphis barbecue -just Texas style I went to this
place when the crew of the Howard Stern show was visting.
The food was crap and so was the famous barbecue sauce.
But after 3 hours of waiting I did get Crack Head Bob's autograph for an
extra $5.00.

Bill

On Sun, 16 May 2004 17:51:25 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Hi Bill! Jill in Memphis here I didn't see that show but I have to tell
>you... there are so many styles of Q in Memphis it's not funny. What were
>they featuring? Ribs? Pulled pork shoulder? Sauces? and if sauces, vinegar
>vs. mustard based?
>
>Jill

Hey Jill,
They did'nt actually show the group of people in California doing the
taste test as they were eating each sample so I don't know exactly
what they ate. They just said it was Memphis Style!

Bill

Joan NOTJoAnn

We have a Corky's Barbeque from Memphis here in middle TN. UGH! The
meat was not seasoned or barely seasoned before it was cooked and their
sauce is pitiful. But they rave about it everytime a barbeque show is
on t.v. I certainly hope it was not this type of bbq they were
extolling.

I saw the beginning of this show, but switched to another channel before
Memphis bbq was featured.

jmcquown

alzelt wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Bill wrote:
>>
>>> Did anybody see the segment on the Travel Channel the other day
>>> rating different styles of barbecue from around the country?
>>> Apparently, the
>>> panel of taste testers decided Memphis Style was the most delicious.
>>> Does anybody know how to prepare "Memphis Style" barbecue?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Bill
>>> :-)

>> Hi Bill! Jill in Memphis here I didn't see that show but I have
>> to tell you... there are so many styles of Q in Memphis it's not
>> funny. What were they featuring? Ribs? Pulled pork shoulder?
>> Sauces? and if sauces, vinegar vs. mustard based?
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Or not sauces, like dry rub made famous by Rendezvous.

Which, by the way, are the best ribs ever and what I prefer in the way of
"Memphis". They make all kinds of dry ribs. Even lamb ribs!

Jill

jmcquown

Joan NOTJoAnn wrote:
> We have a Corky's Barbeque from Memphis here in middle TN. UGH!

Pulleeeze don't think Corky's exemplifies "Memphis Barbeque". They claim
to, but I have to tell you that's some of the worst Q I've ever tasted.

Jill

zxcvbob

jmcquown wrote:

> Joan NOTJoAnn wrote:
>
>>We have a Corky's Barbeque from Memphis here in middle TN. UGH!

> Pulleeeze don't think Corky's exemplifies "Memphis Barbeque". They claim
> to, but I have to tell you that's some of the worst Q I've ever tasted.
>
> Jill

I thought "Memphis style" just meant you put a scoop of coleslaw on your
barbecue sandwich.

Bob
PENMART01

>zxcvbob writes:
>
>I thought "Memphis style" just meant you put a scoop of coleslaw on your
>barbecue sandwich.

I thought Memphis Style means eaten on a pick-up tailgate with a suitcase of
Ruby Neck brews... or is that Texas Style... no difference.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

zxcvbob

PENMART01 wrote:
>>zxcvbob writes:
>>
>>I thought "Memphis style" just meant you put a scoop of coleslaw on your
>>barbecue sandwich.

> I thought Memphis Style means eaten on a pick-up tailgate with a suitcase of
> Ruby Neck brews... or is that Texas Style... no difference.

Nope. That's Wisconsin style (usually grilled bratwurst.)

It's all good though,
Bob
Mike Pearce

"jmcquown" wrote in message
.. .

> Pulleeeze don't think Corky's exemplifies "Memphis Barbeque". They claim
> to, but I have to tell you that's some of the worst Q I've ever tasted.

There's a Corky's just outside of New Orleans. I went there for the first
time a couple of weeks ago to grab a sandwich. I got better barbeque when I
lived in Boston. It was easily the worst I've eaten.

-Mike

Snapper

"Bill" > wrote in message
> Did anybody see the segment on the Travel Channel the other day rating
> different styles of barbecue from around the country? Apparently, the
> panel of taste testers decided Memphis Style was the most delicious.
> Does anybody know how to prepare "Memphis Style" barbecue?
>
> Regards,
> Bill
> :-)

Low, Slow, and above all DRY!

Here's a basic recipe for Memphis BBQ Rub:

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/bbqpit/memphis-dry-ribs.htm

In rec.food.cooking, jmcquown > wrote:

> > Or not sauces, like dry rub made famous by Rendezvous.

> Which, by the way, are the best ribs ever and what I prefer in the way of
> "Memphis". They make all kinds of dry ribs. Even lamb ribs!

Jill, with all due respect, no restaurant makes "the best ribs ever".

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
socks

Bill wrote:
> Did anybody see the segment on the Travel Channel the other day rating
> different styles of barbecue from around the country? Apparently, the
> panel of taste testers decided Memphis Style was the most delicious.
> Does anybody know how to prepare "Memphis Style" barbecue?

i taped that show on my pc (with a capture card) but clipped off the end
where they had their "barbecue olympics". that was pretty stupid. i mean,
i think you've got to taste them, and you may find you like 'em all. i did
really like the first 2/3 of the show though. they hit all of the famous
places and talked to many of the "barbecue men" who ran them.

(i think i make pretty good barbecue, but i haven't been running a pit for
50 years.)

i also endorse:

http://www.bbq-porch.org/faq.asp

socks

Bill wrote:

> They did'nt actually show the group of people in California doing the
> taste test as they were eating each sample so I don't know exactly
> what they ate. They just said it was Memphis Style!

they said they "brought in" the barbecue for some cowboys to taste.

i don't know who thought that would mean anything ... at best it was shipped
overnight ... what would that mean?

it was a competition for "The Best Day-Old Que!"

socks

another well-organized site (even if it is out here in california):

http://www.cbbqa.com/barbecue.html

very clear directions and pictures for bbq beginners.

Tony Lew

"jmcquown" > wrote in message >...
> wrote:

> >> Which, by the way, are the best ribs ever and what I prefer in the
> >> way of "Memphis". They make all kinds of dry ribs. Even lamb ribs!

> > Jill, with all due respect, no restaurant makes "the best ribs ever".

> You got me there - mine are better! But lets just say if you gotta buy ribs
> at a restaurant, Rendezvous is really top notch!

Here's the recipe:

World Famous Rendezvous Dry BBQ Ribs
From Nick Vergos of Charlie Vergos Rendezvous restaurant, Memphis,
Tenn.

In Memphis, it's been a long-running debate. What's better, wet ribs
or dry ribs?

Decide for yourself, here's the recipe for dry ribs from famous
Memphis rib joint, Charlie Vergos Rendezvous. Then try the wet ribs
recipe!

Ingredients

4 cups white distilled vinegar
4 cups water
1/3 cup Rendezvous Famous Seasoning Rub
2 slabs pork loin back ribs (approximately 2 pounds each)

Directions

1. Mix vinegar, water and seasoning together to make your basting
sauce.

2. Cook meat over direct heat on the grill, approximately 18-inches
above fire. Coals should be at 325 to 350 degrees.

3. Start ribs bone side down, until bone side is golden brown. Baste 2
times with basting sauce then flip slab and cook meat side down until
this side reaches a nice golden brown.

4. The meat is ready when it is so hot that you cannot touch it with
your fingers. That is approximately 30 minutes per side.

5. Baste again and sprinkle with Rendezvous world famous seasoning and
you are ready to serve.

Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour

Rendezvous Seasoning Rub Recipe

Ingredients

1/2 cup salt
1/4 cup pepper
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp oregano
1 Tbsp celery seed
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp chile powder

Directions

Combine ingredients and set-aside.

Nancy Young

jmcquown wrote:

> Friend of mine was in the Memphis in May BBQ contest last weekend - her team
> came in 1st for vinegar based sauce and tied for 3rd in tomato-based sauce.
> She will not divulge the recipe. I don't blame her

Maybe she'd tell me. I keep a good secret.

nancy
hahabogus

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> Maybe she'd tell me. I keep a good secret.
>
> nancy

As apposed to a bad secret?

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Nancy Young

hahabogus wrote:

> Nancy Young > wrote in

> > Maybe she'd tell me. I keep a good secret.

> As apposed to a bad secret?

Oh, I keep the bad ones, too ... got one for me?

nancy
jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Friend of mine was in the Memphis in May BBQ contest last weekend -
>> her team came in 1st for vinegar based sauce and tied for 3rd in
>> tomato-based sauce. She will not divulge the recipe. I don't blame
>> her

> Maybe she'd tell me. I keep a good secret.
>
> nancy

Sis, I just sent her email and asked if she would tell *you* Of course,
I had to be oh so clever and say it wouldn't matter if she told you because
folks in New Jersey don't know how to make BBQ... <G>

Jill

Nancy Young

jmcquown wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> Friend of mine was in the Memphis in May BBQ contest last weekend -
> >> her team came in 1st for vinegar based sauce and tied for 3rd in
> >> tomato-based sauce. She will not divulge the recipe. I don't blame
> >> her

> > Maybe she'd tell me. I keep a good secret.
> >
> > nancy

> Sis, I just sent her email and asked if she would tell *you* Of course,
> I had to be oh so clever and say it wouldn't matter if she told you because
> folks in New Jersey don't know how to make BBQ... <G>

(laugh) I'm sure she'll be following up soon.

nancy

In rec.food.cooking, jmcquown > wrote:

> One thing I can tell you is, don't buy into the "Corky's" restaurant thing
> for Memphis BBQ. Corky's is some of the worst I've ever tasted. The "BBQ"
> beans they sell is nothing short of Trappey's with jalapenos from an
> industrial sized can.

When I was in Memphis, the only restaurant I went to was the Interstate.
(Or was it the Turnpike? Highway? Something like that.)

I was at Memphis in May, cooking with the Paddlewheel Porkers. It was a
lot of fun.

> Friend of mine was in the Memphis in May BBQ contest last weekend - her team
> came in 1st for vinegar based sauce and tied for 3rd in tomato-based sauce.
> She will not divulge the recipe. I don't blame her

That is a huge honor! There's a LOT of competition ther.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who