Dimitri

Default Cherries

A local chain has Cherries 99 cents a pound.

Other than canning and eating as is.

Ideas?

Dimitri

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 01 Jul 2005 10:53:05a, Dimitri wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> A local chain has Cherries 99 cents a pound.
>
> Other than canning and eating as is.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Dimitri

What kind of cherries? Depending...jam, jelly, pies, black forest cake.
I'm sure there's more.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Dimitri

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Fri 01 Jul 2005 10:53:05a, Dimitri wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> A local chain has Cherries 99 cents a pound.
>>
>> Other than canning and eating as is.
>>
>> Ideas?
>>
>> Dimitri
>>

> What kind of cherries? Depending...jam, jelly, pies, black forest cake.
> I'm sure there's more.

Bing...

Dimitri

Margaret Suran

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 01 Jul 2005 10:53:05a, Dimitri wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>>A local chain has Cherries 99 cents a pound.
>>
>>Other than canning and eating as is.
>>
>>Ideas?
>>
>>Dimitri
>>

> What kind of cherries? Depending...jam, jelly, pies, black forest cake.
> I'm sure there's more.

Cherries in brandy. I tried that a couple of years ago and made a
mess of it, but I have tasted really good ones. I didn't add sugar to
mine. (
Dave Smith

Dimitri wrote:

> A local chain has Cherries 99 cents a pound.
>
> Other than canning and eating as is.
>
> Ideas?

The dark cherries make great jam.

Boogie Berries. Place freshly picked berries in a preserving
jar, cover with Brandy, Rum, Vodka or whatever, put a top
on and let them sit for a few months.

Dave Smith

Dimitri wrote:

> > What kind of cherries? Depending...jam, jelly, pies, black forest cake.
> > I'm sure there's more.

> Bing...

Jam.

Janet Bostwick

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
m...
>A local chain has Cherries 99 cents a pound.
>
> Other than canning and eating as is.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Dimitri

How fortunate you are. A bad spring in the Pacific NW has impacted the crop
size and subsequently made prices out of sight. The price is so high I
can't remember how much it is--I just crossed cherries off of the shopping
list this year--maybe $4 a pound. How about making Cherry Bounce?
Janet

Dee Randall

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
m...
>A local chain has Cherries 99 cents a pound.
>
> Other than canning and eating as is.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Dimitri

I've not made it myself, but other than vanilla, the best homemade ice cream
I've ever had was made with bing cherries.
Dee

Joseph Littleshoes

Dimitri wrote:

> A local chain has Cherries 99 cents a pound.
>
> Other than canning and eating as is.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Dimitri

Coupes Edna May
--------------------

Place vanilla ice cream in the bottom of a cup and on top of each
arrange some very cold cooked, toned cherries. Cover completely with
pink coloured creme chantilly made by adding raspberry purée to the
cream.
-------------------

Coupes Elizabeth
---------------------

At the bottom of a cup place some very cold stoned cherries which have
been poached in a cherry brandy flavoured syrup. Cover with spoonfuls
of cream chantilly and sprinkle with a little cinnamon.
------------------

I also have recipes for chutney with cranberry walnut and cherry,
fruitcake with walnuts and cherries, stuffing with wild rice, black
walnut and cherries, brandy raspberry and cherry sauce, cherry cake,
cherry pie, cherries imperial, mousse, cherry & pineapple sorbet.

There are also iced fruit soufflés that are not baked and only look like
a soufflé, they are really a iced mousse served in such a manner as to
resemble an soufflé
---
Joseph Littleshoes

Jean B.

Dimitri wrote:

> A local chain has Cherries 99 cents a pound.
>
> Other than canning and eating as is.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Dimitri

Clafouti.

--
Jean B.

Arri London

Dimitri wrote:

> A local chain has Cherries 99 cents a pound.
>
> Other than canning and eating as is.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Dimitri

Cherry jam
Clafoutis
Cherry syrup
Dried cherries
Pies and crumbles
Ranee Mueller

In article >,
"Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

> How fortunate you are. A bad spring in the Pacific NW has impacted the crop
> size and subsequently made prices out of sight. The price is so high I
> can't remember how much it is--I just crossed cherries off of the shopping
> list this year--maybe $4 a pound. How about making Cherry Bounce?

Where are you? We're getting Bings for just over a dollar a pound in
western Washington. Not a great price, but not terrible.

I made some brandied cherries a couple years ago that were
incredible. I may do that again this year. Cherry vinegar is nice.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Ranee Mueller

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> Clafoutis

This is especially good. I made one for the first potluck we
attended with our church, and people still ask about it. And pie.
Lots of pie.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Ranee Mueller

In article >,
Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Cherries in brandy. I tried that a couple of years ago and made a
> mess of it, but I have tasted really good ones. I didn't add sugar to
> mine. (

I don't add sugar to mine. When I make them into a dessert, I reduce
the brandy with sugar in a saucepan. Then pour the whole lot over ice
cream.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Dave Smith

Ranee Mueller wrote:

> Where are you? We're getting Bings for just over a dollar a pound in
> western Washington. Not a great price, but not terrible.
>
> I made some brandied cherries a couple years ago that were
> incredible. I may do that again this year. Cherry vinegar is nice.

The cherries need to be really fresh and unblemished. I have used brandy with and
without adding sugar. IMO, they are much better with the sugar.

Debra Fritz

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:53:05 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>A local chain has Cherries 99 cents a pound.

Stater bros????

>Other than canning and eating as is.
>
>Ideas?

Cherry cobbler is going to be the dessert of choice around here this
weekend.

Debra
Janet Bostwick

"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

snip
> Where are you? We're getting Bings for just over a dollar a pound in
> western Washington. Not a great price, but not terrible.

snip> Regards,
> Ranee

Idaho. We have extensive fruit orchards here that didn't fare well with the
really cold and wet and windy spring. The Washington fruit we see is fairly
expensive now, perhaps the price will come down some.
Janet

-L.

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> How fortunate you are. A bad spring in the Pacific NW has impacted the crop
> size and subsequently made prices out of sight. The price is so high I
> can't remember how much it is--I just crossed cherries off of the shopping
> list this year--maybe $4 a pound. How about making Cherry Bounce?
> Janet

I am in Portland, OR and Bing cherries are about $1.25/lb currently.

-L.

Terry Pulliam Burd

wrote:

>A local chain has Cherries 99 cents a pound.
>
>Other than canning and eating as is.
>
>Ideas?

Funny you should mention...Von's had gorgeous cherries this afternoon
when I stopped, so I grabbed some to make cherry pie. I also include a
cobbler recipe that I'm fond of. Use half the topping, though, as I
think it's too thick.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Fruit Pie

desserts

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon Salt
2 tablespoons Sugar
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled; cut into 1/4 inch cubes
8 tablespoons vegetable shortening
6 - 8 tablespoons ice water
2 tablespoons unsaltred butter; cut into small pieces

Prepare and shape dough into two disks. Refrigerate until needed.

Remove one piece of dough from refrigerator. If stiff and very cold,
let
stand until dough is cool but malleable. Adjust oven rack to center
position, and heat oven to 400 °F.

Roll one dough disk on a highly floured surface intoa 12" circle.
Fold
dough in quarters, then place dough point in center of 0" pie pan.
Unfold
doughj.

Gently press dough into sides of pan, leaving portion that overhangs
lip of
pie place in place.

Prepare fruit filling and let stand for 15 mins. Turn fruit mixture,
including juices, into pie shell. Scatter butter pieces over fruit.
Refrigerate until ready to top with remaining dough.

Roll out second dough disk and place over filling. Trim top and bottom
edges to 1/2" beyond pan lip. Tuck this rim of dough underneath itself
so
that folded edge is flush with pan lip. Flute edging or press with
fork
times to seal. Cut four slits on dough top. If pie doug is very soft,
place
in freezer for 10 mins. before baking.

Place pie on baking sheet to catch any drips; bake until top is
golden, 20
to 25 mins. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and continue to bake
until
juices bubble and crust is golden brown, 30 to 40 mins. longer.

Transfer pie to wire rack; let cool to almost room temperature so
juices
have time to thicken, from 1 to 2 hours.

Blueberries:
3 pints blueberries
3/4 to 1 cup sugar
3 - 4 tablespoons tapioca
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
pinch of grated nutmeg

Cherries:
6 cups cherries, stemmed and pitted
3/4 to 1 cup sugar
3 - 4 tablespoons tapioca
2 teraspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon brandy

Peaches
6 cups peeled, pitted and sliced peaches
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
3 - 4 tablespoons tapioca
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon minced crystallized ginger

Contributor: The Best Recipe

For a cobbler, use the above cherry filling with the below cobbler
topping:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Fruit Cobbler

desserts

1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons Butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
lemon juice
6 cups apples (about 4 medium apples); pared and sliced
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 cup Butter; softened
1 egg
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 400F. Combine sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, 1/4 t..
salt
and put into baking dish. Dot with butter.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and butter in food
processor. Pulse until butter is well cut in and resembles coarse
crumbs.
In a small bowl, stir together the egg and milk. Add to flour
mixture,
pulsing just to moisten. Drop topping by the spoonful into small
mounds
atop the filling.

Optional: Brush topping with egg whites and sprinkle cinnamon and
sugar
over all.

Bake cobblers in middle of oven until cobbler is golden and cooked
through
(lift corner of cobbler to make sure it's cooked underneath), 35 to 45
minutes.

For blueberry or peach cobbler: Use 1/3 to 2/3 cup sugar and 2
tablespoon
cornstarch. Add 1/4 cup water. Use unsweetened peaches.

Contributor: Combined Recipes

Yield: 6 servings

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Edwin Pawlowski

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> How fortunate you are. A bad spring in the Pacific NW has impacted the
> crop size and subsequently made prices out of sight. The price is so high
> I can't remember how much it is--I just crossed cherries off of the
> shopping list this year--maybe $4 a pound.

I just paid $1.69 on sale this week Regular price is $4 here in CT. They
are nice sized, juicy, really a good buy right now. Not sure of where they
were grown.

Dave Smith

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> Funny you should mention...Von's had gorgeous cherries this afternoon
> when I stopped, so I grabbed some to make cherry pie. I also include a
> cobbler recipe that I'm fond of. Use half the topping, though, as I
> think it's too thick.

Cherry pie already? Our sweet cherries are available now. Sour cherries
won't be ready for a few more weeks. I have to keep an eye out for them.
There is a local orchard the sells them pitted and frozen by the bucket.
If you get there are the right time you can buy them right off the line
before they are frozen. They are a heck of a lot cheaper by the bucket,
it saves a lot of work and they are just as fresh as anything you will
pick up at a fruit stand. The last time I timed it right I came home, made
a cherry pie and a patch of sour cherry jam, and then put the rest in the
freezer to use for pies later on. You can take the bucket out of the
freezer and chip out a chunk of cherries big enough for a pie. You don't
even need to break them down into portions ahead of time.

widewoman

wrote:

>A local chain has Cherries 99 cents a pound.
>
>Other than canning and eating as is.
>
>Ideas?
>
>Dimitri

freeze them and eat them still icy ..for a hot weather treat, ditto
with grapes.. freeze them on a cookie sheet then bag and eat them
popped into the mouth and munch away in hot weather.. or if you like
cold stuff in the winter .. munch then too. Better if you pit them
but I never did, just remember those pits are in there when biting
them frozen. Grapes frozen in the fall when you have so many ..sweet
seedless ones, are tasty in the beginning hot days of summer eaten
still frozen.

Of course if they thaw completely, they have the soft mushy texture of
canned ones.. so at that point cook 'em into something else! puree
and make fruit leather out of the cooked ones, make that jam if you
get an unexpected thaw. Of course you can freeze them in a light
syrup too if you want to eat them like canned later on...but are in a
hurry.

Janice
Margaret Suran

Ranee Mueller wrote:

> I made some brandied cherries a couple years ago that were
> incredible. I may do that again this year. Cherry vinegar is nice.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

Ranee, how did you make them? I tried to make brandied cherries a few
years ago and made a mess of it. Please, post recipe and/or instructions.

Thank you and have a nice holiday week end. M
widewoman

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 03:03:33 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>> How fortunate you are. A bad spring in the Pacific NW has impacted the
>> crop size and subsequently made prices out of sight. The price is so high
>> I can't remember how much it is--I just crossed cherries off of the
>> shopping list this year--maybe $4 a pound.

>I just paid $1.69 on sale this week Regular price is $4 here in CT. They
>are nice sized, juicy, really a good buy right now. Not sure of where they
>were grown.

$1.99 lb on sale and $2.99 when not on sale for local cherries in
Albertsons stores in Boise, Idaho. They're all expensive but
Albertsons is extra high. I've not bought any, won't from a grocery
store. Trying to get my niece to pick up some since she lives right
in the area they're grown...but that's 40 miles from where I live and
she doesn't come in often. Crows have been eating the cherries from
the neighbor's tree..house is empty at the moment.

I'm homebound or I'd just take a drive out and get some myself, but
alas, not something I can do. Even if I could pick cherries the ones
next door would have cherry fly maggot in 'em. That's why I've never
planted a tree. It's unfortunate how a lot of people when they buy a
house, plant fruit trees, but don't take care of them..don't clean up
the fallen fruit so basically make a nursery for fruit pests. Used to
be you could grow cherries without spraying in this area ..until the
population went up and with it the cherry fly and coddling moth
nurseries were set up all over.

Janice
Dee Randall

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
m...

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>> How fortunate you are. A bad spring in the Pacific NW has impacted the
>> crop size and subsequently made prices out of sight. The price is so
>> high I can't remember how much it is--I just crossed cherries off of the
>> shopping list this year--maybe $4 a pound.

> I just paid $1.69 on sale this week Regular price is $4 here in CT.
> They are nice sized, juicy, really a good buy right now. Not sure of
> where they were grown.

I'm going to Costco today and I'll bet they are the usual $7.99 a package
(whatever size that is). As one of their employees once said to me, "We
don't compete with no sales."
I'll be going to CT next week myself, and check them out.
Dee
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Ranee Mueller > wrote:

> Where are you? We're getting Bings for just over a dollar a pound in
> western Washington. Not a great price, but not terrible.

I'll trade you the $4/lb that I've been paying in Mpls, Ranee.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/01/05 Sam I Am!
Janet Bostwick

"widewoman" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 03:03:33 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>> How fortunate you are. A bad spring in the Pacific NW has impacted the
>>> crop size and subsequently made prices out of sight. The price is so
>>> high
>>> I can't remember how much it is--I just crossed cherries off of the
>>> shopping list this year--maybe $4 a pound.

>>I just paid $1.69 on sale this week Regular price is $4 here in CT.
>>They
>>are nice sized, juicy, really a good buy right now. Not sure of where
>>they
>>were grown.
>>

> $1.99 lb on sale and $2.99 when not on sale for local cherries in
> Albertsons stores in Boise, Idaho. They're all expensive but
> Albertsons is extra high. I've not bought any, won't from a grocery
> store. Trying to get my niece to pick up some since she lives right
> in the area they're grown...but that's 40 miles from where I live and
> she doesn't come in often. Crows have been eating the cherries from
> the neighbor's tree..house is empty at the moment.
>
> I'm homebound or I'd just take a drive out and get some myself, but
> alas, not something I can do. Even if I could pick cherries the ones
> next door would have cherry fly maggot in 'em. That's why I've never
> planted a tree. It's unfortunate how a lot of people when they buy a
> house, plant fruit trees, but don't take care of them..don't clean up
> the fallen fruit so basically make a nursery for fruit pests. Used to
> be you could grow cherries without spraying in this area ..until the
> population went up and with it the cherry fly and coddling moth
> nurseries were set up all over.
>
> Janice

By the time you pay for gasoline for a trip to Emmett or outside Nampa to
pick the cherries yourself, you've increased the cost considerably.
Albertsons is not the place to shop for anything unless you like to add
20-30 percent to the cost of what you could buy elsewhere.
Janet

SPOONS

Rib Roast with Bing Cherry & Blue Cheese Sauce
http://www.wegmans.com/greatMeals/re...playrecipe.asp

Crispy Romaine Salad with Smoked Turkey and Bing Cherries
http://www.calcherry.com/ccab/consumer.cfm?recipes=1

Fresh Sweet Cherry Recipes
http://homecooking.about.com/library...e/blfruit1.htm

546 Cherry recipes
http://www.justfruitrecipes.com/inxche.html

Take care,
SPOONS

Margaret Suran

SPOONS wrote:
> Rib Roast with Bing Cherry & Blue Cheese Sauce
> http://www.wegmans.com/greatMeals/re...playrecipe.asp
>
> Crispy Romaine Salad with Smoked Turkey and Bing Cherries
> http://www.calcherry.com/ccab/consumer.cfm?recipes=1
>
> Fresh Sweet Cherry Recipes
> http://homecooking.about.com/library...e/blfruit1.htm
>
> 546 Cherry recipes
> http://www.justfruitrecipes.com/inxche.html
>
> Take care,
> SPOONS

Thank you!!! I will visit these sites often. They are carefully
filed away in my recipe file.

Have a great Fourth Of July. MS
sf

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 04:53:47 -0400, Margaret Suran wrote:

> Ranee Mueller wrote:
>

> > I made some brandied cherries a couple years ago that were
> > incredible. I may do that again this year. Cherry vinegar is nice.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ranee
> >

> Ranee, how did you make them? I tried to make brandied cherries a few
> years ago and made a mess of it. Please, post recipe and/or instructions.

The cherry vinegar sounds interesting too. Not only am I curious
about how it's made I'm curious about how it's used.

sf

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:19:36 -0400, Margaret Suran wrote:

> > Fresh Sweet Cherry Recipes
> > http://homecooking.about.com/library...e/blfruit1.htm

<drooling>

CHOCOLATE-CHERRY TRUFFLE TART

This indulgence is simple to do and can be prepared a day ahead.

Filling
1 cup cherry preserves (about one 12-ounce jar)
2 tablespoons water

1/3 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
4 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate,
finely chopped

1 1/4 pounds fresh Bing cherries, pitted, halved
Fresh mint sprigs

Crust
(Makes one 9-inch crust)
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon cold water
For Filling:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll out tart crust dough on lightly floured
work surface to 13x10-inch rectangle. Transfer to 11x8-inch
rectangular tart pan with removable bottom, pressing dough firmly into
place. Fold overhang in and press, forming double-thick sides. Freeze
crust 15 minutes.

Line crust with foil. Fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake until
sides are set, about 15 minutes. Remove foil and beans. Bake until
crust is golden brown and baked through, piercing with fork if crust
bubbles, about 15 minutes. Transfer pan to rack and cool crust.

Combine preserves and 2 tablespoons water in heavy saucepan. Stir over
low heat until preserves melt. Strain in medium bowl, pressing firmly
on solids to extract liquid. Discard any solids in strainer.

Combine cream, butter and 1/4 cup preserve mixture in heavy medium
saucepan. Stir over low heat until butter melts. Add chocolate and
stir until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
Cool 15 minutes.

Spread chocolate mixture evenly into crust, Refrigerate until almost
set, about 20 minutes.

Arrange cherries decoratively over chocolate, pressing slightly to
adhere. Rewarm remaining preserve mixture over low heat. Brush
generously over cherries. Chill until chocolate sets, about 1 hour.
(Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.)

For Crust:
Mix flour, powdered sugar and salt in processor. Add butter; process
until mixture resembles coarse meal. Mix egg yolks and water in small
bowl. Add to flour mixture and process until moist clumps form.

Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk for round tart or into
square for rectangular tart. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 1 hour.
(Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Keep refrigerated. Let dough soften
briefly at room temperature before rolling out.)

Garnish tart with mint and serve.

Serves 8.
Bon Appétit
July 1996
serene

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> Ranee Mueller > wrote:
>
> > Where are you? We're getting Bings for just over a dollar a pound in
> > western Washington. Not a great price, but not terrible.

> I'll trade you the $4/lb that I've been paying in Mpls, Ranee.

They're about $2.70 a pound in our store.

serene
Dee Randall

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "widewoman" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 03:03:33 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
>> wrote:

>>>I just paid $1.69 on sale this week Regular price is $4 here in CT. They
>>>are nice sized, juicy, really a good buy right now. Not sure of where
>>>they
>>>were grown.
>>>

>> $1.99 lb on sale and $2.99 when not on sale for local cherries in
>> Albertsons stores in Boise, Idaho. They're all expensive but
>> Albertsons is extra high. I've not bought any, won't from a grocery
>> store. Trying to get my niece to pick up some since she lives right
>> in the area they're grown...but that's 40 miles from where I live and
>> she doesn't come in often. Crows have been eating the cherries from
>> the neighbor's tree..house is empty at the moment.
>>
>> I'm homebound or I'd just take a drive out and get some myself, but
>> alas, not something I can do. Even if I could pick cherries the ones
>> next door would have cherry fly maggot in 'em. That's why I've never
>> planted a tree. It's unfortunate how a lot of people when they buy a
>> house, plant fruit trees, but don't take care of them..don't clean up
>> the fallen fruit so basically make a nursery for fruit pests. Used to
>> be you could grow cherries without spraying in this area ..until the
>> population went up and with it the cherry fly and coddling moth
>> nurseries were set up all over.
>>
>> Janice

> By the time you pay for gasoline for a trip to Emmett or outside Nampa to
> pick the cherries yourself, you've increased the cost considerably.
> Albertsons is not the place to shop for anything unless you like to add
> 20-30 percent to the cost of what you could buy elsewhere.
> Janet

Cherries @ Costco, Harrisonburg, VA today $2.62 a lb.
Dee

pennyaline

widewoman wrote:

> I'm homebound or I'd just take a drive out and get some myself, but
> alas, not something I can do. Even if I could pick cherries the ones
> next door would have cherry fly maggot in 'em. That's why I've never
> planted a tree. It's unfortunate how a lot of people when they buy a
> house, plant fruit trees, but don't take care of them..don't clean up
> the fallen fruit so basically make a nursery for fruit pests. Used to
> be you could grow cherries without spraying in this area ..until the
> population went up and with it the cherry fly and coddling moth
> nurseries were set up all over.

I've found that most people who have fruit trees don't realize that
infestation problems are perpetuated through fallen fruit. If you ask
around, you'll find that they planted the trees for the blossoms and the
looks of the fruit on the tree, but not for the fruit itself. So when the
season ends they let the fruit fall and rot on the ground, seeing it as
beneficial mulch and not as the beginning of the pupal stage of a fruit
fly's life cycle.

We are required to control infestations of cherries and other fruit crops
even if we grow them noncommercially. Utah is a huge producer of tart
cherries, and the marketability of crops is measured by the presence or
absence of fly larvae in the fruit. Just one larva found in a random sample
will render that entire harvest unsalable. So the commercial cherry
producers of the state insist on strict pest control to ensure their
continued fiscal success.

I had lived in my current home with its beautiful heavily-bearing cherry in
the backyard for two years when I was informed of the need to spray. I got a
notice describing the prevalence of cherry fruit fly, the portability of its
larvae, the damage it does to commercial crops, the relative ease and
inexpense of physical and chemical control, and the promise that if I didn't
take advantage of this advice the notice's distributors would gladly return
to my home and cut down and burn the tree.

Puester

serene wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>

>>In article >,
>>Ranee Mueller > wrote:
>>

>>> Where are you? We're getting Bings for just over a dollar a pound in
>>>western Washington. Not a great price, but not terrible.

>>I'll trade you the $4/lb that I've been paying in Mpls, Ranee.

> They're about $2.70 a pound in our store.
>
> serene

Denver area Safeways and King Soopers (Kroger) have cherries
for $1.28 a pound this week. And they are wonderful.

Still ~$3 at Alberston's.

gloria p

Nexis

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
m...
>A local chain has Cherries 99 cents a pound.
>
> Other than canning and eating as is.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Dimitri

Cherry salsa. Good with chicken! Pit the cherries and rough dice them.
Combine with diced tomato, diced red onion, minced jalapeno or habanero
(depending on your heat index) and the juice of a lime. Add some cilantro
and chill to let the flavors meld.

kimberly

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> Ranee Mueller > wrote:
>
> > Where are you? We're getting Bings for just over a dollar a
> > pound in
> > western Washington. Not a great price, but not terrible.

> I'll trade you the $4/lb that I've been paying in Mpls, Ranee.

I take it back -- they're on sale through today for $1.48/lb. I bought
about 7 pounds. I love summer fruits.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/01/05 Sam I Am!
Mac

Got an icecream maker? Try cherry ice cream or cherry sorbet.

My son (6) has been making ice creams and water ices with me, and
requested I get him some cherries. We ended up with far more than
needed for his frozen experiments, so I made a cherry salad:

Halve and pit the cherries, then stuff (er...shove?) chopped walnut
pieces into the cavities. (It's what I had. Probably better would have
been either a different nut or bigger pieces of walnut.) Toss in
mayonaise (home made if ya got it) with chopped celery and black
pepper. Throw it into the fridge for a half-hour or so, then serve on
bib lettuce...or on whatever green you've got lying around.

--
Glenn "Mac" Frazier

Frogleg

wrote:

>A local chain has Cherries 99 cents a pound.

Wow. They're featured in latest ad here at $3.99.

>Other than canning and eating as is.

Dried! Lovely snack, and good later in salads, sweet breads, etc.
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 03 Jul 2005 02:53:34a, Frogleg wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:53:05 GMT, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
>>A local chain has Cherries 99 cents a pound.

> Wow. They're featured in latest ad here at $3.99.
>>
>>Other than canning and eating as is.

> Dried! Lovely snack, and good later in salads, sweet breads, etc.

At the farmer's market on Saturday, bing cherries were $.99/lb. and rainier
cherries were $1.99/lb., both huge bargains. Rainier cherries are usually at
least %4.99/lb. here in the Phoenix area.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0526-4, 07/01/2005
Tested on: 7/3/2005 3:56:05 AM

Cherries Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 21 08-02-2014 05:12 PM
Cherries? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 3 11-10-2013 12:35 PM
Cherries Marilyn[_3_] Preserving 2 28-07-2009 10:50 PM
Light colored cherries for Brandied Cherries? DavidJ01 Preserving 8 05-07-2004 10:25 PM
Cherries tony Preserving 1 08-05-2004 01:07 AM