Damsel

Default Today's Favorites That Mom Never Made

I keep discovering new foods that have always been there, but that Mom
never cooked, and I can't figure out why. I would love to share some of
these things with her!

Flank steak
Pork tenderloin
Ocean fish - except for fish sticks, the only fish we had at home were the
ones that Dad caught, killed, and filleted (*never* a bone)
Fresh broccoli - I would have eaten steamed broccoli
Fresh asparagus - ditto

What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up? Trendy
stuff doesn't count.

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
sarah bennett

Damsel wrote:
> I keep discovering new foods that have always been there, but that Mom
> never cooked, and I can't figure out why. I would love to share some of
> these things with her!
>
> Flank steak
> Pork tenderloin
> Ocean fish - except for fish sticks, the only fish we had at home were the
> ones that Dad caught, killed, and filleted (*never* a bone)
> Fresh broccoli - I would have eaten steamed broccoli
> Fresh asparagus - ditto
>
> What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up? Trendy
> stuff doesn't count.
>
> Carol

well, i grew up in a house that kept kosher, so all the usual yummy pork
and seafood stuff. and cheeseburgers. and real beef stroganoff.

though my mother was a great cook, and we had a wide variety of types of
meals, I was an adult before I tried a wide variety of asian foods
(aside from this peanut noodle thing she makes. again, this could be
because of the dietary restrictions, because ive modified recipes to
make for her, and she's loved 'em.

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
I-zheet M'drurz

Damsel spaketh thusly:

> I keep discovering new foods that have always been there, but
> that Mom never cooked, and I can't figure out why. I would love
> to share some of these things with her!

> What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up?
> Trendy stuff doesn't count.

My "story" is a little different - I've discovered things that
mom used to cook, but I was too stubborn/spoiled to even try. I
was stupid as a kid, when it came to eating good, healthy food.

Veggies were my biggest discovery, you couldn't get me near
cabbage, peppers, carrots, etc when I was young. OK, so I *still*
don't do broccoli or asparagus, but I've come a long way since
then.

If u are gonna say that I said something,
please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)
Bill

In article >,
Damsel > wrote:

> What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up?

Garlic. We never had garlic at home. I don't think I tasted it until I
was about 20. Can you imagine.
Damsel

"I-zheet M'drurz" > said:

I forgot ... I never tried red peppers as a kid, either. LOVE them!

> My "story" is a little different - I've discovered things that
> mom used to cook, but I was too stubborn/spoiled to even try. I
> was stupid as a kid, when it came to eating good, healthy food.
>
> Veggies were my biggest discovery, you couldn't get me near
> cabbage, peppers, carrots, etc when I was young. OK, so I *still*
> don't do broccoli or asparagus, but I've come a long way since
> then.

Things I'll eat now that I wouldn't then, generally because of the
preparation method:
Split pea soup (I still can't eat the standard recipe)
Ribs
The aforementioned broccoli and asparagus

I still maintain that parsnips are the work of the devil.

Carol, attaching the Good Split Pea Soup Recipe

* Exported from MasterCook *

Damsel's Spicy Split Pea Soup

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : legumes soups/chowders

-------- ------------ ------------------------------*--
1/4 pound bacon
1/2 pound pepperoni -- 1/2" cubes
5 medium carrots -- sliced 1/4" thick
1 medium onion -- chopped fine
1 clove garlic -- smashed and chopped
16 ounces split peas
5 cups water
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf

In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, and set
aside. Add pepperoni to the drippings, frying until browned; remove to
large saucepan. Add onions and garlic to the drippings. Saute until
onions become translucent, then add to the saucepan.

Place dry split peas into the saucepan, along with the water. Add carrots,
then stir in the herbs and spices.

Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 45 minutes, or
until peas just begin to break down. Add more water, if necessary. Remove
bay leaf. Garnish each serving with crumbled bacon.

Damsel

Bill > said:

> In article >,
> Damsel > wrote:
>
> > What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up?

> Garlic. We never had garlic at home. I don't think I tasted it until I
> was about 20. Can you imagine.

Come to think of it, I don't recall ever seeing cloves of garlic at home,
either. Maybe that's why I naturally reach for the granulated garlic.
Hmmmm.

Are you a total garlic freak now?

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Bob (this one)

Damsel wrote:

> I keep discovering new foods that have always been there, but that Mom
> never cooked, and I can't figure out why. I would love to share some of
> these things with her!
>
> Flank steak
> Pork tenderloin
> Ocean fish - except for fish sticks, the only fish we had at home were the
> ones that Dad caught, killed, and filleted (*never* a bone)
> Fresh broccoli - I would have eaten steamed broccoli
> Fresh asparagus - ditto
>
> What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up? Trendy
> stuff doesn't count.

Meats? Lion, hippo, snake, llama, bear, elk, boar...
Seafood? Barracuda, sea urchin, shark...
Spices? Cinnabar and cormorant.
Fruit? Durian, cherimoya, guava, ceriman...
There's a whole lot more, but I'm sleepy now...

Pastorio
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 26 Jun 2005 10:02:15p, Damsel wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Bill > said:
>
>> In article >,
>> Damsel > wrote:
>>
>> > What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up?

>> Garlic. We never had garlic at home. I don't think I tasted it until I
>> was about 20. Can you imagine.

> Come to think of it, I don't recall ever seeing cloves of garlic at home,
> either. Maybe that's why I naturally reach for the granulated garlic.
> Hmmmm.
>
> Are you a total garlic freak now?
>
> Carol

Mom had a spice rack containing garlic powder, sage, savory, paprika,
cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger.

I began cooking while in junior high school and exploring the supermarket
spice racks. I'd ask for new spices as recipes required. I was in college
before I actually bout fresh garlic. Never looked back!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-5, 06/25/2005
Tested on: 6/26/2005 10:21:00 PM

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 26 Jun 2005 10:18:24p, Bob (this one) wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Damsel wrote:
>
>> I keep discovering new foods that have always been there, but that Mom
>> never cooked, and I can't figure out why. I would love to share some
>> of these things with her!
>>
>> Flank steak
>> Pork tenderloin
>> Ocean fish - except for fish sticks, the only fish we had at home were
>> the
>> ones that Dad caught, killed, and filleted (*never* a bone)
>> Fresh broccoli - I would have eaten steamed broccoli
>> Fresh asparagus - ditto
>>
>> What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up?
>> Trendy stuff doesn't count.

> Meats? Lion, hippo, snake, llama, bear, elk, boar...
> Seafood? Barracuda, sea urchin, shark...
> Spices? Cinnabar and cormorant.
> Fruit? Durian, cherimoya, guava, ceriman...
> There's a whole lot more, but I'm sleepy now...

LOL! I don't think I ever want to be that adventurous!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-5, 06/25/2005
Tested on: 6/26/2005 10:22:53 PM

Damsel

"Bob (this one)" > said:

> Damsel wrote:
>
> > What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up? Trendy
> > stuff doesn't count.

> Meats? Lion, hippo, snake, llama, bear, elk, boar...
> Seafood? Barracuda, sea urchin, shark...
> Spices? Cinnabar and cormorant.
> Fruit? Durian, cherimoya, guava, ceriman...

Sheesh! The only thing on your lists that I've ever had was shark. I've
gotta get out more. Or not?

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

Damsel

"Bob (this one)" > said:

> Damsel wrote:
>
> > What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up? Trendy
> > stuff doesn't count.

> Spices? Cinnabar and cormorant.

Ya know, I don't think my mom ever used tarragon. It's one of my two
favorite herbs now. The other is thyme. (I know they're not spices, but
your spices are what reminded me of this)

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Damsel

Wayne Boatwright > said:

> Mom had a spice rack containing garlic powder, sage, savory, paprika,
> cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger.

That's a respectable start. I still don't have a clue what savory tastes
like. My ex-MIL had salt, pepper, onion salt, and garlic salt as her only
seasonings. Bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
karen

Damsel wrote:
> I keep discovering new foods that have always been there, but that Mom
> never cooked, and I can't figure out why. I would love to share some of
> these things with her!
>
> Flank steak
> Pork tenderloin
> Ocean fish - except for fish sticks, the only fish we had at home were the
> ones that Dad caught, killed, and filleted (*never* a bone)
> Fresh broccoli - I would have eaten steamed broccoli
> Fresh asparagus - ditto

Absolutely the same here!

> What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up? Trendy
> stuff doesn't count.
>
> Carol
>
> --
> Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

Artichokes, crab legs, shrimp (the only shrimp we had was at Aunt
Tillie's for holidays, those canned tiny ones) lamb (my mother must
have had bad experiences with mutton) any sort of fondue, specialty
cheeses, beef roast not cooked in a pressure cooker....I will probably
think of more.

Some of the good things that we had that some people didn't were a lot
of fresh mushrooms. Dad and I used to go out mushrooming and he can
spot a morel a mile away I think. Grandma's borscht. Wonderful breads
from the Chamberlain bakery - a sourish round rye with a very dark
crust, and the braided challah with sultanas in it. Good fresh Polish
kielbasa. Hungarian kolbasz (sp). Mom's "French pancakes" that were
crepes filled with cottage cheese, a Romanian dish.
I would even put peanut butter and jelly on the leftover crepes -
wonderful!

We seldom went to restaurants, but the lady across the street was more
adventuresome and I had my first tast of Chinese food and Mexican rice
from her. Dear Vranny, as Dad calls her, is still across the street:
she and my dad are the last original people from that subdivision which
was built before I was born. Oh, we began to buy pizza when I was a
teen. There was an Italian bakery that we used to ride our bikes to
during elementary school lunch. Nice thick squares and they were just
as good as I remembered when I took Mom there a couple years ago.
Lona's pizza was nice and greasy.

Karen, the other one

-L.

Damsel wrote:
> I keep discovering new foods that have always been there, but that Mom
> never cooked, and I can't figure out why. I would love to share some of
> these things with her!
>
> Flank steak
> Pork tenderloin
> Ocean fish - except for fish sticks, the only fish we had at home were the
> ones that Dad caught, killed, and filleted (*never* a bone)
> Fresh broccoli - I would have eaten steamed broccoli
> Fresh asparagus - ditto
>
> What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up? Trendy
> stuff doesn't count.
>
> Carol

Mexican food. "Mexican food" meant tacos made from a spice mix pack
which I *might* get every now and then at the neighbor's house. My Mom
simply didn't know anything about it. Now, we eat Mexican/Tex Mex at
least 3 times a week.

Grape products. My Mom didn't like grape flavored anything - jams,
jellies, anything. The only grapes we got were fresh grapes. I grew
up on Strawberry preserves.

Buffalo. I don't think it was farmed in the 60's and 70's.

Other than that, we ate a pretty varied diet at home. I think we had
every veggie available and although the budge was tight, we had a
variety of meats over the years (most often ground chuck and chicken,
though).

-L.

cathyxyz

Damsel wrote:

> What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up? Trendy
> stuff doesn't count.
>
> Carol

Prawns (shrimp)...

I was born in Zimbabwe, and moved to South Africa in 1985. Zimbabwe is
land-locked, so we didn't get much in the way of seafood at all, when I
was a kid.
The good news is that we can get a wide variety of seafood here, and
it's great

Cheers
Cathy

--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 26 Jun 2005 10:45:15p, Damsel wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > said:
>
>> Mom had a spice rack containing garlic powder, sage, savory, paprika,
>> cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger.

> That's a respectable start. I still don't have a clue what savory tastes
> like. My ex-MIL had salt, pepper, onion salt, and garlic salt as her only
> seasonings. Bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!

Summery savory tastes like peppery thyme. Winter savory tastes "salty".

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-5, 06/25/2005
Tested on: 6/27/2005 1:58:12 AM

sarah bennett

Damsel wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > said:
>

>>Damsel wrote:
>>

>>>What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up? Trendy
>>>stuff doesn't count.

>>Meats? Lion, hippo, snake, llama, bear, elk, boar...
>>Seafood? Barracuda, sea urchin, shark...
>>Spices? Cinnabar and cormorant.
>>Fruit? Durian, cherimoya, guava, ceriman...

> Sheesh! The only thing on your lists that I've ever had was shark. I've
> gotta get out more. Or not?
>
> Carol

from that list, I have had snake (rattler), elk, shark, sea urchin,
guava and cherimoya.

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
I-zheet M'drurz

Damsel spaketh thusly:
> "I-zheet M'drurz" > said:

>> ... OK, so I *still* don't do broccoli or asparagus, but I've
>> come a long way since then.

> Things I'll eat now that I wouldn't then, generally because of
> the preparation method:
> Split pea soup (I still can't eat the standard recipe)
> Ribs

> The aforementioned broccoli and asparagus

I wuv you!!!

> I still maintain that parsnips are the work of the devil.

You misspelled "oysters" <g>.

If u are gonna say that I said something,
please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)
I-zheet M'drurz

I-zheet M'drurz spaketh thusly:
> Damsel spaketh thusly:

>> I still maintain that parsnips are the work of the devil.

> You misspelled "oysters" <g>.

... and before some smart fella feels the need to point it out:
Yes, I realize that oysters are not a vegetable!

If u are gonna say that I said something,
please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 26 Jun 2005 09:55:49p, Damsel wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I still maintain that parsnips are the work of the devil.

So is devil's food cake!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-5, 06/25/2005
Tested on: 6/27/2005 5:16:01 AM

Sheldon

Bill wrote:
> Damsel wrote:
>
> > What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up?

> Garlic. We never had garlic at home. I don't think I tasted it until I
> was about 20.

You trying to tell us that for all those years you never ate any foods
other than those prepared exclusively at home from scratch... never
even once ate at a restaurant, never ate at a relative's/friend's
house... what, were you kept locked in a little cell in the attic. You
must have lived the life of the home schooled...

Sheldon

Damsel

Wayne Boatwright > said:

> On Sun 26 Jun 2005 09:55:49p, Damsel wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > I still maintain that parsnips are the work of the devil.

> So is devil's food cake!

*groan*

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Dave Smith

Damsel wrote:

> I keep discovering new foods that have always been there, but that Mom
> never cooked, and I can't figure out why. I would love to share some of
> these things with her!
>
> Flank steak
> Pork tenderloin
> Ocean fish - except for fish sticks, the only fish we had at home were the
> ones that Dad caught, killed, and filleted (*never* a bone)
> Fresh broccoli - I would have eaten steamed broccoli
> Fresh asparagus - ditto
>
> What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up? Trendy
> stuff doesn't count.

My mother was a damned good cook, and quite adventurous. The only problem was
that she and my father liked things well done, so I never liked spinach,
Brussels sprouts, fish, and I was not crazy about well done roast beef. A lot
of the stuff that I cook is the same as my mother used to cook, but not cooked
as much. One thing that I cook that she never did, and that she will not even
try to eat, is squid.

Bob (this one)

cathyxyz wrote:
> Damsel wrote:
>

>> What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up? Trendy
>> stuff doesn't count.
>>
>> Carol
>>

> Prawns (shrimp)...
>
> I was born in Zimbabwe, and moved to South Africa in 1985. Zimbabwe is
> land-locked, so we didn't get much in the way of seafood at all, when I
> was a kid.
> The good news is that we can get a wide variety of seafood here, and
> it's great

Cameroon was named after "shrimp."

Pastorio

cathyxyz

Bob (this one) wrote:
> cathyxyz wrote:
>
>> Damsel wrote:
>>

>>> What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up? Trendy
>>> stuff doesn't count.
>>>
>>> Carol
>>>

>> Prawns (shrimp)...
>>
>> I was born in Zimbabwe, and moved to South Africa in 1985. Zimbabwe is
>> land-locked, so we didn't get much in the way of seafood at all, when
>> I was a kid.
>> The good news is that we can get a wide variety of seafood here, and
>> it's great

> Cameroon was named after "shrimp."
>
> Pastorio

Really? I never knew that. Just shows that I am not too old to learn
something new Thanks.
Cheers
Cathy

--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it
Cindy Fuller

In article >,
Damsel > wrote:

> I keep discovering new foods that have always been there, but that Mom
> never cooked, and I can't figure out why. I would love to share some of
> these things with her!
>
> Flank steak
> Pork tenderloin
> Ocean fish - except for fish sticks, the only fish we had at home were the
> ones that Dad caught, killed, and filleted (*never* a bone)
> Fresh broccoli - I would have eaten steamed broccoli
> Fresh asparagus - ditto
>
> What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up? Trendy
> stuff doesn't count.

Mom had four picky eaters in the house--the three of us and my
stepfather--so adventurous cooking didn't make sense. My sister and I
have diversified our tastes as we've gotten older, but my brother still
lags behind. Stepfather's tastes got even pickier before he died eight
years ago, but that may have been due to his physical ailments.

Here is a short list of stuff I've discovered, some of which I've
foisted on her:

mussels
uncandied sweet potatoes (baked or oven-fried)
uncanned salmon
key lime pie (big hit at Thanksgiving)
fennel bulbs

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
sf

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:13:55 -0500, Damsel wrote:

> What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up? Trendy
> stuff doesn't count.

Mom was a picky eater all grown up, so if she didn't lke it - we
didn't eat it.

Mushrooms (the regular ones, not portabello)
pot roast
liver
lasagna (or is that considered trendy?)
homemade soup (she always opened a can of Campbells)

sf

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 04:35:26 +0000 (UTC), I-zheet M'drurz wrote:

> My "story" is a little different - I've discovered things that
> mom used to cook, but I was too stubborn/spoiled to even try. I
> was stupid as a kid, when it came to eating good, healthy food.

You sound like my husband. His parents used to go crabbing on a
regular basis and he always refused to eat it... until they were long
gone and crab became expensive to buy. Now he loves it and wishes he
had eaten it when he was a kid.

sf

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 00:43:39 -0500, Damsel wrote:

> Ya know, I don't think my mom ever used tarragon. It's one of my two
> favorite herbs now. The other is thyme. (I know they're not spices, but
> your spices are what reminded me of this)

We all have our favorite seasonings... mom liked summer savory best, I
use thyme instead. I love tarragon, but don't use it very much...
same with chervil. OTOH... garlic is a "must" for all things meaty.

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Damsel wrote on 26 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up?
> Trendy stuff doesn't count.
>
> Carol

Spagheti squash, eggplant, celery root, fennel, diakon radish, shark,
wild boar, moose, sole, asparagus, roasted chickpeas, humus, the list
is forever increasing. And of course the ever popular rotated whole
chicken (rotissafied/rotissierre?)

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
cathyxyz

sf wrote:

OTOH... garlic is a "must" for all things meaty.

And most things "fishy"
Cheers
Cathy

--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it
Gabby

"Damsel" > wrote in message

> What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up? Trendy
> stuff doesn't count.

At home vegetables meant peas, carrots, rutabagas (but known as turnip),
green & wax beans & corn.

As an adult I discovered eggplant, zucchini and all the winter squashes,
sweet red peppers, okra & parsnip. Some of these I discovered incorporated
into Indian dishes, then tried them on their own.

In the fish dept, I found char & shark both of which I love. Kidney is
about the only meat I eat as an adult that my mom had never served.

Gabby

maxine in ri

Broccoli, asparagus, brussel sprouts, winter squashs and sweet
potatoes. Artichokes, romaine lettuce, anchovies, tofu, buckwheat
groats, mango, star fruit, kiwi, yogurt, leben, kefir, Porter,
tomatoes...

Some of them my Mom tried to get me to eat, but she would boil them and
it wasn't until I found out about roasting squash and sweet potatoes
that I started liking them. My Dad like iceburg lettuce, so that's
what Mom used. I refused to eat it, ditto the pink rocks that she'd
put in salads.

Buckwheat and other non-standard grains I learned to eat when I went
through my vegetarian phase. Ditto the dairy products.

maxine in ri

~patches~

Damsel wrote:

> I keep discovering new foods that have always been there, but that Mom
> never cooked, and I can't figure out why. I would love to share some of
> these things with her!
>
> Flank steak
> Pork tenderloin
> Ocean fish - except for fish sticks, the only fish we had at home were the
> ones that Dad caught, killed, and filleted (*never* a bone)
> Fresh broccoli - I would have eaten steamed broccoli
> Fresh asparagus - ditto
>
> What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up? Trendy
> stuff doesn't count.
>
> Carol

Some of my new foods that have become staples a fresh herbs, smoked
oysters, homemade spaghetti sauce, a variety of fish (no fish sticks -
ick!) and sea food, variety of olive oils, variety of vinegars, baby
calf liver that doesn't taste like the sole of an old shoe the way my
mom cooked it, zucchini, variety of hot peppers, homemade pizza,
fritatas, and there are likely quite a few others. My mom was quite old
but used to be a good cook until she got diabetes. Then she just
stopped cooking I always thought it a shame since before that she
was an excellent cook. One thing I use in my cooking that mom never
would have is alcohol. It wasn't allowed in our house ever. After I
got married, I discovered several uses for alcohol including cooking

Dean G.

Some of the simple things are what I've found. When I was young, cheese
for a party was a ball of port-wine cheese (Cheddar) covered in nuts.
Or chipped beef with cream cheese. Cheese for every day was American
Cheese or Swiss Cheese. Colby Cheese was an unusual treat, and hot
pepper cheese was a very unusual treat, as we rarely had anything even
vaguely spicey. Since then I've discovered Edam, Gorgonzola, Fontina,
Camembert, Brie, Limberger, Havarti, Stilton, Assiago, Feta, and many
others, some I can't even spell without looking. I've also discovered
spicey foods and hot peppers.

Also, olives were from a jar or can, and where cheap store brand
versions. Canned black olives can now bore me to sleep, but I used to
like them. Now I hit a good olive bar and find all kinds of goodies. I
also use them in recipes instead of just on a relish platter.

Mushrooms are another thing that I've found. Mushrooms were tasteless
gooey things from a can when I was young. Now I've found fresh Porcini,
Crimini, Shitakes, and occasionally even Chanterelles. Sauteed,
stuffed, grilled, or added to something, they really add something.

Wine used to be Liebfraumilch (sp?), and while there may be a few good
examples, it was more of a mass-market version for us. Now I enjoy all
kinds of wine, and not just on hollidays.

Another simple thing is fresh herbs. I still have a cabinet stuffed
full of dried herbs and spices, but I'll also pop for fresh sage,
parsley, cilantro, and basil when the need arises (frequently.)

When I was young, vinegar was distilled white vinegar. Now I have cider
vinegar, malt vinegar, basalmic vinegar, and perhaps a few others. I
still have some distilled white vinegar, but mostly use it to clean
windows now.

We had fresh fruits and veggies, but like you, I would have eaten more
asparagus if it were...grilled.

Dean G.

Nathalie Chiva

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:41:36 GMT, sarah bennett
> wrote:

>Damsel wrote:

>>>Meats? Lion, hippo, snake, llama, bear, elk, boar...
>>>Seafood? Barracuda, sea urchin, shark...
>>>Spices? Cinnabar and cormorant.
>>>Fruit? Durian, cherimoya, guava, ceriman...

>> Sheesh! The only thing on your lists that I've ever had was shark. I've
>> gotta get out more. Or not?
>>
>> Carol
>>

>from that list, I have had snake (rattler), elk, shark, sea urchin,
>guava and cherimoya.

I've had elk, boar, sea urchin, shark, durian, cherimoya and guava.

Nathalie in Switzerland

Andy

Damsel > wrote in
:

> What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up?

Trendy
> stuff doesn't count.

Mom never cooked any Southern dishes.
Mom never cooked any Mexican dishes.
Mom never cooked any Asian dishes.
Mom never cooked anything "spicy-hot."

Once, before she became a gourmet cook, Mom bought a canned ham and took
it out of the can, sliced it and put it uncooked on our plates. I took
one bite of and instantly threw up all over the kitchen table. That
horrible salty, jelly-slime taste and texture!!! I saved the rest of the
family at dinner that night from a fate worse than death. Mom never
bought ham again and nobody complained!

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/bczgr
Thelma Lubkin

Damsel > wrote:
: I keep discovering new foods that have always been there, but that Mom
: never cooked, and I can't figure out why. I would love to share some of
: these things with her!

: Flank steak
: Pork tenderloin
: Ocean fish - except for fish sticks, the only fish we had at home were the
: ones that Dad caught, killed, and filleted (*never* a bone)
: Fresh broccoli - I would have eaten steamed broccoli
: Fresh asparagus - ditto

: What are some foods you've discovered since becoming a grown-up? Trendy
: stuff doesn't count.

That's not what surprises me. I am continually surprised by
foods that were just every day basics for us

* salmon roe caviar
* fresh fish roe [and I regret that I never tried it]
* the best rib and loin lamb chops, and sometimes more than
once a week
* wonderful greek olives
* smoked whitefish chubs and smoked sturgeon
* home soured milk [not yogurt]
* elegant petit-fours and mini cheesecakes from the bakery
around the corner

My father worked in a factory; my mother kept house

--thelma
: Carol

: --
: Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
rosie

For me, that covers a LOT of ground. First of all anything that wasn't
fried was not served at home, and if it was fried in bacon grease that
made it better. If Mom couldn't fry it in bacon grease, she would pour
some over what ever she had... ie, canned green beans etc.

Fresh fruits and veggies , other than corn and potatoes and well you
name it.