johnnylaw

Default Seeking Info on Sugars & Glycemic Index

Hi there--

I love reading the site and now I am hoping for some assistance. I am
not diabetic, but I need to learn about sugar intake.

Specifically, I want to understand:

1) the core issues of the diabetic, and

2) how the body metabolizes different types of sugar (from agave
nectar, brown rice syrup & barley malt all the way up to high fructose
corn syrup).

Can anyone help a non-science oriented consumer understand these
things?

Thnk you in advance!

John

Del Cecchi

"Dog3" > wrote in message
1...
> "johnnylaw" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>
>> Hi there--
>>
>> I love reading the site and now I am hoping for some assistance. I am
>> not diabetic, but I need to learn about sugar intake.
>>
>> Specifically, I want to understand:
>>
>> 1) the core issues of the diabetic, and
>>
>> 2) how the body metabolizes different types of sugar (from agave
>> nectar, brown rice syrup & barley malt all the way up to high fructose
>> corn syrup).
>>
>> Can anyone help a non-science oriented consumer understand these
>> things?
>>
>> Thnk you in advance!
>>
>> John

> Hi John. There are several support newsgroups you can find some useful
> information on. They are alt.food.diabetic, alt.health.diabetes,
> alt.support.diabetes and misc.health.diabetes. The American Diabetes
> association more than likely has all of the info you are looking for. The
> association can be found at www.diabetes.org. If you go to Google and
> type
> American Diabetes Association in the search bar, you will get a lot of
> other sites to browse. A site at www.1on1health.com is interesting also.
>
> Michael <- type 2 diabetic

There are also many good books by reputable authors, for example this one
from the mayo clinic
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

check your local library, unless you are just looking for an easy way to do
your homework. :-)

johnnylaw

Thanks Michael--

That's a great idea!!

John

johnnylaw

Not at all--

I work at a store and get lots of questions about different types of
sugars and want to understand better what people are looking for.

I will spend some time at the library--that's a good idea!!

Wish I was still in school sometimes--always trying to learn more...

John

Phred

G'day mate,

I didn't see your original article until this evening, so maybe you
now know all you need to know. However, in case not, you can find a
fair bit on GI under "Food" on this site especially aimed at
diabetics: <http://www.mendosa.com/diabetes.htm>

There's also stuff there on "sugars" (just use the search feature to
search that site). However, I don't know if even science-oriented
consumers understand these things! At least, that's the conclusion I
come to judging by the somewhat contradictory information you can turn
up on the web on the subject of sugars. 8-)

In article .com>,
"johnnylaw" > wrote:
>I love reading the site and now I am hoping for some assistance. I am
>not diabetic, but I need to learn about sugar intake.
>
>Specifically, I want to understand:
>
>1) the core issues of the diabetic, and
>
>2) how the body metabolizes different types of sugar (from agave
>nectar, brown rice syrup & barley malt all the way up to high fructose
>corn syrup).
>
>Can anyone help a non-science oriented consumer understand these
>things?

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID