Old 17-04-2005, 10:50 PM
Victor Sack

Default Bear's leeks are upon us

Bear's leeks (AKA Allium ursinum, Bärlauch, ail des ours, cheremsha,
wild garlic, etc.) are here at last, for few weeks at least.

On Saturday, I scored a few nice, large bunches at the market and
decided to make a simple soup. I had some dried ceps (porcini, boletus
edulis) soaking, intending to make a mushroom-barley soup (sans meat, of
course, as it would be a waste of porcini), but made a light mushroom
broth with parsley and parsnip roots, and celery stalks instead and
cooked some cubed potatoes in it. Meanwhile, I rinsed the bear's leek
leaves, let them quickly wilt in some hot clarified butter, added the
mushroom broth with just the potatoes left in, pepper, salt and allspice
and brought it not quite to the boil. The soup was very tasty indeed
and we ate the lot. The less you cook bear's garlic, the better it
retains its wonderful garlicky flavour.

Victor

Old 20-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Shaun aRe

"Victor Sack" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You have inspired me to do something similar, since the woods and
brook-sides around here a choc-full of the stuff. Thanks!

I find it makes a good herb for stews and soups etc. if dried too.

Shaun aRe

Old 20-04-2005, 01:20 PM
Shaun aRe

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:46:11 +0200, (Victor Sack)
wrote:

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

(Victor Sack) wrote:

Bear's leeks (AKA Allium ursinum, Bärlauch, ail des ours, cheremsha,
wild garlic, etc.) are here at last, for few weeks at least.

Victor, Is this plant similar to the ramps of Appalachia?

I've never tasted ramps, but, indeed, it is said to be very similar and
looks simliar, too. They are both leafy plants from the Allium family
and both have a distinctive garlic smell and taste. According to
Gernot's site, ramps tend to taste more "oniony", though.

Here are some pictures for comparison:

Bear's leeks:
http://heilpflanzen.wetteronline.de/baerlauch/baerlauch_bilder.shtml

Ramps:
http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/alliumtric.html

Thanks, Victor

The ramp leaves are more elongated than the laid-out bear leek leaf in
your first url. The CT site says the leaves disappear before
flowering, which appears to be untrue for the bear leek.

I saw something in a Paris veg stand once that looked a lot like
ramps. I guess it was bear leek.

Useful stuff!

Try fresh whole trout, laid on a bed of the leaves, with thin slices of
orange on top, then more of the leaves - wrap in a sealed parcel and cook,
either in the oven, or over an open fire (how I first saw it done 'on da
telly' - in the outdoors, on a river bank where the fish had just been
landed).

Shaun aRe