Rodney Myrvaagnes

(Victor Sack) wrote:

>> >Bear's leeks (AKA Allium ursinum, Bärlauch, ail des ours, cheremsha,
>> >wild garlic, etc.) are here at last, for few weeks at least.
>> >

>> Victor, Is this plant similar to the ramps of Appalachia?

>I've never tasted ramps, but, indeed, it is said to be very similar and
>looks simliar, too. They are both leafy plants from the Allium family
>and both have a distinctive garlic smell and taste. According to
>Gernot's site, ramps tend to taste more "oniony", though.
>
>Here are some pictures for comparison:
>
>Bear's leeks:
><http://heilpflanzen.wetteronline.de/baerlauch/baerlauch_bilder.shtml>
>
>Ramps:
><http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/alliumtric.html>

Thanks, Victor

The ramp leaves are more elongated than the laid-out bear leek leaf in
your first url. The CT site says the leaves disappear before
flowering, which appears to be untrue for the bear leek.

I saw something in a Paris veg stand once that looked a lot like
ramps. I guess it was bear leek.

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opionated old geezer

Faith-based economics: It's deja voodoo all over again