Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 23:50:43 +0200, (Victor Sack)
wrote:

>Bear's leeks (AKA Allium ursinum, Bärlauch, ail des ours, cheremsha,
>wild garlic, etc.) are here at last, for few weeks at least.
>
>On Saturday, I scored a few nice, large bunches at the market and
>decided to make a simple soup. I had some dried ceps (porcini, boletus
>edulis) soaking, intending to make a mushroom-barley soup (sans meat, of
>course, as it would be a waste of porcini), but made a light mushroom
>broth with parsley and parsnip roots, and celery stalks instead and
>cooked some cubed potatoes in it. Meanwhile, I rinsed the bear's leek
>leaves, let them quickly wilt in some hot clarified butter, added the
>mushroom broth with just the potatoes left in, pepper, salt and allspice
>and brought it not quite to the boil. The soup was very tasty indeed
>and we ate the lot. The less you cook bear's garlic, the better it
>retains its wonderful garlicky flavour.

Victor, Is this plant similar to the ramps of Appalachia?

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opinionated old geezer J36 Gjøa

I wonder if the tourists following the wine-tasting
circuit in 'Sideways' start off by doing the NY Times
crossword in ink as they drive up I-5?