Shaun aRe

(Victor Sack) wrote:

> >> Victor, Is this plant similar to the ramps of Appalachia?

> >I've never tasted ramps, but, indeed, it is said to be very similar and
> >looks simliar, too. They are both leafy plants from the Allium family
> >and both have a distinctive garlic smell and taste. According to
> >Gernot's site, ramps tend to taste more "oniony", though.
> >
> >Here are some pictures for comparison:
> >
> >Bear's leeks:
> ><http://heilpflanzen.wetteronline.de/baerlauch/baerlauch_bilder.shtml>
> >
> >Ramps:
> ><http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/alliumtric.html>
> >

> Thanks, Victor
>
> The ramp leaves are more elongated than the laid-out bear leek leaf in
> your first url. The CT site says the leaves disappear before
> flowering, which appears to be untrue for the bear leek.
>
> I saw something in a Paris veg stand once that looked a lot like
> ramps. I guess it was bear leek.

Useful stuff!

Try fresh whole trout, laid on a bed of the leaves, with thin slices of
orange on top, then more of the leaves - wrap in a sealed parcel and cook,
either in the oven, or over an open fire (how I first saw it done 'on da
telly' - in the outdoors, on a river bank where the fish had just been
landed).

Shaun aRe