kalanamak

Default Backseat Driving in the Kitchen

Glenn Jacobs wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to handle this, for a person with
> limited interpersonal skills. Maybe some one out there has come up with
> some clever idea for just such occasions.

This is a serious answer. Give her extra loving in the sack and ignore
what she says in the kitchen. Just keep on truckin'. If she gets testy
about it, develop a hearing problem.
blacksalt
Glenn Jacobs

I wonder if I am the only one with this problem. I like to cook and every
once and a while will build a new dish just because it seems like it will
work. In the past I have come up with some very good dishes this way, and
of course a few busts and one that was such a disaster that I buried it in
the garden.

Well yesterday I was working on a dish and my wife came and insisted that I
should do this that and the other. Now to begin with my wife is a average
to below average cook. Well I got mad did what she said and I destroyed
the dish. Probably at least partly, because I was so mad.

I know that i should have diplomatically said that I am trying something
and if it doesn't work out I will make something else. I am no diplomat, I
am not a people person and since I am 68 I don't think that is going to
change.

--
JakeInHartsel
Puester

Glenn Jacobs wrote:

> Well yesterday I was working on a dish and my wife came and insisted that I
> should do this that and the other. Now to begin with my wife is a average
> to below average cook. Well I got mad did what she said and I destroyed
> the dish. Probably at least partly, because I was so mad.
>

> Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to handle this, for a person with
> limited interpersonal skills. Maybe some one out there has come up with
> some clever idea for just such occasions.
>
> --
> JakeInHartsel

"Great idea, dear. Next time you cook, make it that way."
By the way, making suggestions isn't necessarily being critical.
I suspect she was trying to be helpful. (She's lucky. My husband
has never set foot in the kitchen except to go to the refrigerator.)

Jake In Hartsel, Colorado???

gloria p
Aurora, CO
Dave Smith

Glenn Jacobs wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to handle this, for a person with
> limited interpersonal skills. Maybe some one out there has come up with
> some clever idea for just such occasions.

We have a rule in our house..... one cook at a time. She doesn't appreciate my
suggestions when she is cooking, and I don't want her in the way when I am
cooking.

ravinwulf

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:11:09 -0600, Glenn Jacobs
> wrote:

>I wonder if I am the only one with this problem. I like to cook and every
>once and a while will build a new dish just because it seems like it will
>work. In the past I have come up with some very good dishes this way, and
>of course a few busts and one that was such a disaster that I buried it in
>the garden.
>
>Well yesterday I was working on a dish and my wife came and insisted that I
>should do this that and the other. Now to begin with my wife is a average
>to below average cook. Well I got mad did what she said and I destroyed
>the dish. Probably at least partly, because I was so mad.
>
>I know that i should have diplomatically said that I am trying something
>and if it doesn't work out I will make something else. I am no diplomat, I
>am not a people person and since I am 68 I don't think that is going to
>change.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to handle this, for a person with
>limited interpersonal skills. Maybe some one out there has come up with
>some clever idea for just such occasions.

Hand her a bowl and say, "I'm so glad you're here! I could use some
help. Could I get you to put together a salad to go with this,
please?" I find that usually keeps helpers busy and reasonably quiet.

Regards,
Tracy R.

hahabogus

Glenn Jacobs > wrote in
:

> I wonder if I am the only one with this problem. I like to cook and
> every once and a while will build a new dish just because it seems
> like it will work. In the past I have come up with some very good
> dishes this way, and of course a few busts and one that was such a
> disaster that I buried it in the garden.
>
> Well yesterday I was working on a dish and my wife came and insisted
> that I should do this that and the other. Now to begin with my wife
> is a average to below average cook. Well I got mad did what she said
> and I destroyed the dish. Probably at least partly, because I was so
> mad.
>
> I know that i should have diplomatically said that I am trying
> something and if it doesn't work out I will make something else. I am
> no diplomat, I am not a people person and since I am 68 I don't think
> that is going to change.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to handle this, for a person
> with limited interpersonal skills. Maybe some one out there has come
> up with some clever idea for just such occasions.

Your wife is playing with your mind. That is if she is your 1st wife and
you've been married more than 20 yrs. Like she didn't know you wanted to be
undisturbed. Like she can't read you like a book.

You could make up a loverly set of Que Cards things that say go away and
leave me be...but politely. When you are calm and thinking the correct
wording shouldn't be a problem. Hang these signs up when you cook. And
vigorously point to them, as required.

This will cut down on the arguments and anger because the signs will be
polite and well thought out, not emotionally charged and angry.

Or you could turn this into quality time....assign her some tasks and enjoy
the togetherness. The family that cooks together eats faster. Chop those
onions...whisk those eggs. whatever.

I vote for the togetherness method. Let her get involved and you might get
lucky. At worst you'll have spent time with the wife and have actually
talked to her and have to bury dinner.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Levelwave©

Glenn Jacobs wrote:

> Well yesterday I was working on a dish and my wife came and insisted that I
> should do this that and the other. Now to begin with my wife is a average
> to below average cook. Well I got mad did what she said and I destroyed
> the dish. Probably at least partly, because I was so mad.

What was the dish and what was the suggestion?

~john
Nancy Young

Levelwave© wrote:

> Glenn Jacobs wrote:
>
> > Well yesterday I was working on a dish and my wife came and insisted that I
> > should do this that and the other. Now to begin with my wife is a average
> > to below average cook. Well I got mad did what she said and I destroyed
> > the dish. Probably at least partly, because I was so mad.

> What was the dish and what was the suggestion?

Exactly what I was wondering. Sometimes it's tough to tell someone
that the way they make (whatever) is really horrid. Like when I
finally had to break down and say ... I seriously hate bread cubes in
my meatballs, please use breadcrumbs. Oh, I was only doing that for
you! (laugh) Well, please stop that.

What exactly was the problem?

nancy
SportKite1

>From: Glenn Jacobs

>I wonder if I am the only one with this problem. I like to cook and every
>once and a while will build a new dish just because it seems like it will
>work. In the past I have come up with some very good dishes this way, and
>of course a few busts and one that was such a disaster that I buried it in
>the garden.
>
>Well yesterday I was working on a dish and my wife came and insisted that I
>should do this that and the other. Now to begin with my wife is a average
>to below average cook. Well I got mad did what she said and I destroyed
>the dish. Probably at least partly, because I was so mad.

>I know that i should have diplomatically said that I am trying something
>and if it doesn't work out I will make something else. I am no diplomat, I
>am not a people person and since I am 68 I don't think that is going to
>change.

You don't have to be a people person, just a husband who has an open line of
communication with his wife.

>Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to handle this, for a person with
>limited interpersonal skills. Maybe some one out there has come up with
>some clever idea for just such occasions.

If it's any comfort, I've been known to be a backseat driver in the kitchen.
I'm a fair cook but my SO is a highly trained chef (Culinary Institute of
America). He solved his dilemma by boycotting the kitchen until I learned my
input was only required on collaborations or to create his mise en place. Life
is much nicer these days. And the food is superior to anything I could ever
dream of. Well, I still think he uses too much salt and I make him well aware
of that fact....often

You didn't go into any details regarding your wife's input, so I am curious

Is she concerned about the health issues regarding the dishes you are creating?
Are you using up the retirement funds on caviar, tenderloins of beef and
lobster? Do you use metal forks to stir things in non-stick pans?
If so, knock it off! *grin*

Humor is a great way to overcome most obstacles. Heck, at your age you need to
be "cookin" in one of the rooms in your house. Tell her she gets to choose
which one. That should solve your dilemma.

Huggz,
Ellen

WardNA

>Well I got mad did what she said and I destroyed
>the dish. Probably at least partly, because I was so mad.
>
>I know that i should have diplomatically said that I am trying something
>and if it doesn't work out I will make something else. I am no diplomat, I
>am not a people person and since I am 68 I don't think that is going to
>change.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to handle this,

Do nothing; you're right on track already. There exists a fine and honorable
tradition of cooks' being bad-tempered, irrascible, temperamental.

Neil

Raoul

I've always liked "GET THE F..K AWAY FROM ME BITCH"

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:11:09 -0600, Glenn Jacobs
> wrote:

>I wonder if I am the only one with this problem. I like to cook and every
>once and a while will build a new dish just because it seems like it will
>work. In the past I have come up with some very good dishes this way, and
>of course a few busts and one that was such a disaster that I buried it in
>the garden.
>
>Well yesterday I was working on a dish and my wife came and insisted that I
>should do this that and the other. Now to begin with my wife is a average
>to below average cook. Well I got mad did what she said and I destroyed
>the dish. Probably at least partly, because I was so mad.
>
>I know that i should have diplomatically said that I am trying something
>and if it doesn't work out I will make something else. I am no diplomat, I
>am not a people person and since I am 68 I don't think that is going to
>change.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to handle this, for a person with
>limited interpersonal skills. Maybe some one out there has come up with
>some clever idea for just such occasions.

Dimiri

"Glenn Jacobs" > wrote in message
> I wonder if I am the only one with this problem. I like to cook and every
> once and a while will build a new dish just because it seems like it will
> work. In the past I have come up with some very good dishes this way, and
> of course a few busts and one that was such a disaster that I buried it in
> the garden.
>
> Well yesterday I was working on a dish and my wife came and insisted that

> should do this that and the other. Now to begin with my wife is a average
> to below average cook. Well I got mad did what she said and I destroyed
> the dish. Probably at least partly, because I was so mad.
>
> I know that i should have diplomatically said that I am trying something
> and if it doesn't work out I will make something else. I am no diplomat,

> am not a people person and since I am 68 I don't think that is going to
> change.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to handle this, for a person

with
> limited interpersonal skills. Maybe some one out there has come up with
> some clever idea for just such occasions.

Boy did you over react or what?

Next time ask her to get a pencil and paper and take notes on what you are
doing. if she asks why then you can explain if the dish turns our well you
or she can duplicate it.

Diversion.

Dimitri

Nancy Young

Dave Smith wrote:

> We have a rule in our house..... one cook at a time. She doesn't appreciate my
> suggestions when she is cooking, and I don't want her in the way when I am
> cooking.

Well, here's the thing. When you're watching your chicken strips
or burger or steak being cooked to jerky, is it okay to say, can
I have mine now? It's already dead, you don't have to cook it to
death (the last part is internal). I mean, I have to eat it, too.

nancy
jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> We have a rule in our house..... one cook at a time. She doesn't
>> appreciate my suggestions when she is cooking, and I don't want her
>> in the way when I am cooking.

> Well, here's the thing. When you're watching your chicken strips
> or burger or steak being cooked to jerky, is it okay to say, can
> I have mine now? It's already dead, you don't have to cook it to
> death (the last part is internal). I mean, I have to eat it, too.
>
> nancy

Of course! Hey, give me mine while it's still uh... walking (but of course
it's already dead). Please, don't beat that dead horse; the poor thing has
suffered enough

Jill

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Glenn Jacobs
> wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to handle this, for a
> person with limited interpersonal skills. Maybe some one out there
> has come up with some clever idea for just such occasions.

Cook when no one else is around.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-29-04.
Nexis

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote:
> > Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> >> We have a rule in our house..... one cook at a time. She doesn't
> >> appreciate my suggestions when she is cooking, and I don't want her
> >> in the way when I am cooking.

> > Well, here's the thing. When you're watching your chicken strips
> > or burger or steak being cooked to jerky, is it okay to say, can
> > I have mine now? It's already dead, you don't have to cook it to
> > death (the last part is internal). I mean, I have to eat it, too.
> >
> > nancy

> Of course! Hey, give me mine while it's still uh... walking (but of

course
> it's already dead). Please, don't beat that dead horse; the poor thing

has
> suffered enough
>
> Jill

This reminds me of a time when I was out to dinner with my folks, and a
friend of my dad's was there with us. The waitress asked him how he wanted
his steak done, and he smiled and replied, "Just stick a match under his ass
and put him on the plate."

I don't eat rare meat....perhaps because of this imagery! LOL

kimberly...who prefers medium-rare

Charles Gifford

"Glenn Jacobs" > wrote in message
> I wonder if I am the only one with this problem. I like to cook and every
> once and a while will build a new dish just because it seems like it will
> work.

<snip>

Have you tried taking a class in pottery? The fact that you enjoy cooking
really has little to do with making dishes. That is an entirely different
process. After reading your entire post I have some confusion about what you
are talking about. You seem to have a problem with pottery at the best or,
if you are talking about attempting porcelain, you have an even bigger
problem. I wish you well with your project.

Charlie, ;-)

Charles Gifford

"Puester" > wrote in message

> Jake In Hartsel, Colorado???
>

> gloria p
> Aurora, CO

You fishing Gloria?

Charlie, giggling

Charles Gifford

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > We have a rule in our house..... one cook at a time. She doesn't

appreciate my
> > suggestions when she is cooking, and I don't want her in the way when I

am
> > cooking.

> Well, here's the thing. When you're watching your chicken strips
> or burger or steak being cooked to jerky, is it okay to say, can
> I have mine now? It's already dead, you don't have to cook it to
> death (the last part is internal). I mean, I have to eat it, too.
>
> nancy

As one who cooked for another person, I would say no. I would have had some
hurt feelers, but would have taken it well for the most part. My eater was
very kind and ate what I put before her with very few negative comments. She
ate what I gave her with the knowledge that she did not have to cook. She
preferred less saucing than I did but I could not restrain myself from over
saucing everything even though I knew better. I still make fried rice soup
instead of fried rice. Fried rice needs plenty of Pearl River Bridge Dark
Soy in my opinion. Plenty of it. So sad. Moderation is key in all things I
hear. I pay no attention. I desire excess when it comes to sauce.
The-one-I-cooked-for would have made less sauce, less food and, importantly,
less variation.

If someone is feeding you, don't interrupt with comments. Eat what you are
given, with some joy. You don't HAVE to eat it again. Suggest that you would
like to try cooking yourself. Or, if you cannot bring yourself to eat it,
pardon yourself because of illness or some other kindly, and believable,
excuse.

Charlie, an imperfect cook

Jack Schidt®

"Glenn Jacobs" > wrote in message
> I wonder if I am the only one with this problem. I like to cook and every
> once and a while will build a new dish just because it seems like it will
> work. In the past I have come up with some very good dishes this way, and
> of course a few busts and one that was such a disaster that I buried it in
> the garden.
>
> Well yesterday I was working on a dish and my wife came and insisted that

> should do this that and the other. Now to begin with my wife is a average
> to below average cook. Well I got mad did what she said and I destroyed
> the dish. Probably at least partly, because I was so mad.
>
> I know that i should have diplomatically said that I am trying something
> and if it doesn't work out I will make something else. I am no diplomat,

> am not a people person and since I am 68 I don't think that is going to
> change.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to handle this, for a person

with
> limited interpersonal skills. Maybe some one out there has come up with
> some clever idea for just such occasions.
>
> --
> JakeInHartsel

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I can't stop laughing at you!!. Ok, I've stopped. Nope,
just started again!

Jack Hilarity

Nancy Young

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > Well, here's the thing. When you're watching your chicken strips
> > or burger or steak being cooked to jerky, is it okay to say, can
> > I have mine now? It's already dead, you don't have to cook it to
> > death (the last part is internal). I mean, I have to eat it, too.

> As one who cooked for another person, I would say no. I would have had some
> hurt feelers, but would have taken it well for the most part. My eater was
> very kind and ate what I put before her with very few negative comments. She
> ate what I gave her with the knowledge that she did not have to cook. She
> preferred less saucing than I did but I could not restrain myself from over
> saucing everything even though I knew better. I still make fried rice soup
> instead of fried rice. Fried rice needs plenty of Pearl River Bridge Dark
> Soy in my opinion. Plenty of it. So sad. Moderation is key in all things I
> hear. I pay no attention. I desire excess when it comes to sauce.
> The-one-I-cooked-for would have made less sauce, less food and, importantly,
> less variation.
>
> If someone is feeding you, don't interrupt with comments. Eat what you are
> given, with some joy. You don't HAVE to eat it again. Suggest that you would
> like to try cooking yourself. Or, if you cannot bring yourself to eat it,
> pardon yourself because of illness or some other kindly, and believable,
> excuse.

(laughing) You make it sound as if I stomp my feet and yell, you
overcooked it, you moron! No, it's just I like my burger medium,
no big deal. As you watch it slowly turning to charcoal, it's hard
not to say, okay, that's good enough for mine. Except for that
flaw, he's a very good cook.

Besides, if the table was turned, you can bet he wouldn't think
twice about saying something. He's a kitchen hog. I can't get
near the place when he's around.

nancy
ravinwulf

On 06 Apr 2004 14:30:07 GMT, (Naomi Darvell) wrote:

>IMO, if you are an infrequent guest in someone's house, just eat it the way
>they serve it.
>
>If it's someone you live with or eat with frequently, it should not be too hard
>to get to know each other's preferences.

<laughing> You'd be surprised. I only found out a couple of months ago
that my husband of 13 years hates green beans. He finally confessed
that he only likes them when they are prepared one certain way. Recipe
follows; they are tasty.

Regards,
Tracy R.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Deviled Green Beans

favorites, green beans, vegetables

1 pound green beans; washed, trimmed, cut bite sized
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1 dash salt
1 dash pepper
3 slices bacon; fried crisp, crumbled

Steam beans until crisp-tender. Melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir
in remaining ingredients except bacon. Pour over the hot green beans.
Stir gently. Sprinkle with bacon.

Notes: John and Rob both really love these. Fresh beans are obviously
better; but canned/frozen beans can be used in a pinch, if fresh
aren't available. Type of mustard can be varied; I've used French's
yellow, Dijon, and spicy brown, depending on what they were being
served with and what was in the refrigerator. All were good.

Contributor: Tracy's Mom

Yield: 4 servings

Preparation Time: 00:20

jmcquown

Nexis wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> I have mine now? It's already dead, you don't have to cook it to
>>> death (the last part is internal). I mean, I have to eat it, too.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> Of course! Hey, give me mine while it's still uh... walking (but of
>> course it's already dead).
>> Jill
>>

> This reminds me of a time when I was out to dinner with my folks, and
> a friend of my dad's was there with us. The waitress asked him how he
> wanted his steak done, and he smiled and replied, "Just stick a match
> under his ass and put him on the plate."
>
> I don't eat rare meat....perhaps because of this imagery! LOL
>
> kimberly...who prefers medium-rare

So, this means you want *two* matches under its ass

Jill

Pan Ohco

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:11:09 -0600, Glenn Jacobs
> wrote:

>I wonder if I am the only one with this problem. I like to cook and every
>once and a while will build a new dish just because it seems like it will
>work. In the past I have come up with some very good dishes this way, and
>of course a few busts and one that was such a disaster that I buried it in
>the garden.
>
>Well yesterday I was working on a dish and my wife came and insisted that I
>should do this that and the other. Now to begin with my wife is a average
>to below average cook. Well I got mad did what she said and I destroyed
>the dish. Probably at least partly, because I was so mad.
>
>I know that i should have diplomatically said that I am trying something
>and if it doesn't work out I will make something else. I am no diplomat, I
>am not a people person and since I am 68 I don't think that is going to
>change.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to handle this, for a person with
>limited interpersonal skills. Maybe some one out there has come up with
>some clever idea for just such occasions.

Glenn You now know why husbands are not called chefs.
A chef is the boss of the kitchen, husbands ( at least those who wish
to remain happy ) are not.

Pan Ohco

Kate Connally

Glenn Jacobs wrote:

> I wonder if I am the only one with this problem. I like to cook and every
> once and a while will build a new dish just because it seems like it will
> work. In the past I have come up with some very good dishes this way, and
> of course a few busts and one that was such a disaster that I buried it in
> the garden.
>
> Well yesterday I was working on a dish and my wife came and insisted that I
> should do this that and the other. Now to begin with my wife is a average
> to below average cook. Well I got mad did what she said and I destroyed
> the dish. Probably at least partly, because I was so mad.
>
> I know that i should have diplomatically said that I am trying something
> and if it doesn't work out I will make something else. I am no diplomat, I
> am not a people person and since I am 68 I don't think that is going to
> change.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to handle this, for a person with
> limited interpersonal skills. Maybe some one out there has come up with
> some clever idea for just such occasions.
>
> --
> JakeInHartsel

How about just ignoring her and going about what you're
doing? That's what I would do.

Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Cindy Fuller

In article >,
Glenn Jacobs > wrote:

> I wonder if I am the only one with this problem. I like to cook and every
> once and a while will build a new dish just because it seems like it will
> work. In the past I have come up with some very good dishes this way, and
> of course a few busts and one that was such a disaster that I buried it in
> the garden.
>
> Well yesterday I was working on a dish and my wife came and insisted that I
> should do this that and the other. Now to begin with my wife is a average
> to below average cook. Well I got mad did what she said and I destroyed
> the dish. Probably at least partly, because I was so mad.
>
> I know that i should have diplomatically said that I am trying something
> and if it doesn't work out I will make something else. I am no diplomat, I
> am not a people person and since I am 68 I don't think that is going to
> change.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to handle this, for a person with
> limited interpersonal skills. Maybe some one out there has come up with
> some clever idea for just such occasions.

SO occasionally critiques my work in the kitchen. If he finds out that
I'm working without a recipe, he goes into hysterics: "Hello, Poison
Control? Could you reserve the double stomach pump for 8 pm?" My usual
response is that it's not a good idea to criticize the chef when she's
wielding a chef's knife. I will also start my preparations before he
gets home to reduce interruptions. To be fair, he does show
appreciation for my successes. He liked the chicken I made last night
so much that he's going to reheat the leftovers tonight.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Glenn Jacobs

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 19:22:45 -0400, Levelwave© wrote:

> Glenn Jacobs wrote:
>
>> Well yesterday I was working on a dish and my wife came and insisted that I
>> should do this that and the other. Now to begin with my wife is a average
>> to below average cook. Well I got mad did what she said and I destroyed
>> the dish. Probably at least partly, because I was so mad.

> What was the dish and what was the suggestion?
>
> ~john

It was left over Ham in a cream sause, the ham to be added after sause was
finished. She suggested tha brocolle be added and the whole ting cooked
together, rather than added to the sauce at the end.

--
JakeInHartsel
Glenn Jacobs

On 06 Apr 2004 00:06:45 GMT, WardNA wrote:

>>Well I got mad did what she said and I destroyed
>>the dish. Probably at least partly, because I was so mad.
>>
>>I know that i should have diplomatically said that I am trying something
>>and if it doesn't work out I will make something else. I am no diplomat, I
>>am not a people person and since I am 68 I don't think that is going to
>>change.
>>
>>Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to handle this,

> Do nothing; you're right on track already. There exists a fine and honorable
> tradition of cooks' being bad-tempered, irrascible, temperamental.
>
> Neil

I forgot that, I washed dishes one summer in the Edgar Town Cafe on Marthas
Vinyard and found about that first hand.

--
JakeInHartsel
Glenn Jacobs

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 22:38:29 GMT, Puester wrote:

> Glenn Jacobs wrote:
>>

>> Well yesterday I was working on a dish and my wife came and insisted that I
>> should do this that and the other. Now to begin with my wife is a average
>> to below average cook. Well I got mad did what she said and I destroyed
>> the dish. Probably at least partly, because I was so mad.
>>

>> Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to handle this, for a person with
>> limited interpersonal skills. Maybe some one out there has come up with
>> some clever idea for just such occasions.
>>
>> --
>> JakeInHartsel

> "Great idea, dear. Next time you cook, make it that way."
> By the way, making suggestions isn't necessarily being critical.
> I suspect she was trying to be helpful. (She's lucky. My husband
> has never set foot in the kitchen except to go to the refrigerator.)
>
> Jake In Hartsel, Colorado???
>

> gloria p
> Aurora, CO

Yup, about 15 miles from Hartsel, out in the middle of South Park. Moved
up from Aurora about 3 years ago.

--
JakeInHartsel

Dave Smith

Nancy Young wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > We have a rule in our house..... one cook at a time. She doesn't appreciate my
> > suggestions when she is cooking, and I don't want her in the way when I am
> > cooking.

> Well, here's the thing. When you're watching your chicken strips
> or burger or steak being cooked to jerky, is it okay to say, can
> I have mine now? It's already dead, you don't have to cook it to
> death (the last part is internal). I mean, I have to eat it, too.

LOL, but that is not a problem around here. Her days of treating me like a god
(serving burnt offerings) are long past. I am more concerned about having to work
around her and always finding her in my way doing something totally unrelated, which
seems to happen just as I am moving from pot to counter or sink with a hot pot.
There are also timing issues. I once went into the kitchen to see if the potatoes
had started to boil yet and discovered that the green beans were done. I don't know
why the hell she went in and started the beans. I figured that was a good half hour
off. That was the one that got her banned from the kitchen when I am cooking :-)

Nexis

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
<SNIP>

> > I don't eat rare meat....perhaps because of this imagery! LOL
> >
> > kimberly...who prefers medium-rare

> So, this means you want *two* matches under its ass
>
> Jill

ROFL...something like that. I like it dark pink to red in the very center,
and a good crust on the outside.

kimberly

jacqui{JB}

"Glenn Jacobs" > wrote in message

> Well yesterday I was working on a dish and my
> wife came and insisted that I should do this that
> and the other.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to
> handle this, for a person with limited interpersonal
> skills. Maybe some one out there has come up
> with some clever idea for just such occasions.

I don't think there *is* a good solution. You could try showing her
your post and asking her to stay out of the kitchen while you're
cooking, but I can almost guarantee you'll end up with a much bigger
fight on your hands than if you simply explained to her that you're
experimenting with something new, that you've already got it
well-planned out in your head (whether or not that's true) and you'd
appreciate it if she would not make suggestions or interfere with the
process.

I can sympathize. My husband and I have very different styles in the
kitchen, and, while the kitchen's big, it's not really set up for more
than one person to work in it efficiently at any given time. I'm fine
with him keeping me company in the kitchen, but I have a *very*
difficult time just watching and have to bite my tongue quite often
when he's doing things differently than I would -- other times, I give
him a peck on the cheek and tell him that I have to leave the room.
*chuckle* He takes it pretty well.

-j

Charles Gifford

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Charles Gifford wrote:
> >

> (laughing) You make it sound as if I stomp my feet and yell, you
> overcooked it, you moron!

Oops! ;-)

> No, it's just I like my burger medium,
> no big deal. As you watch it slowly turning to charcoal, it's hard
> not to say, okay, that's good enough for mine. Except for that
> flaw, he's a very good cook.

All cooks have flaws don't they. I get irritated by people who think it
necessary to stack all the food in one pile in the middle of a plate. I too
overcook meat. I like my pork chops well cooked, dry and slightly black here
and there. I know better, but I like it and can't even do it properly for
someone who I know prefers their chop with some juice left in it. <sigh>

> Besides, if the table was turned, you can bet he wouldn't think
> twice about saying something. He's a kitchen hog. I can't get
> near the place when he's around.
>
> nancy

That I understand!

Charlie, wishing Nancy medium meat.

Darrell Grainger

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Glenn Jacobs wrote:

> I wonder if I am the only one with this problem. I like to cook and every
> once and a while will build a new dish just because it seems like it will
> work. In the past I have come up with some very good dishes this way, and
> of course a few busts and one that was such a disaster that I buried it in
> the garden.
>
> Well yesterday I was working on a dish and my wife came and insisted that I
> should do this that and the other. Now to begin with my wife is a average
> to below average cook. Well I got mad did what she said and I destroyed
> the dish. Probably at least partly, because I was so mad.
>
> I know that i should have diplomatically said that I am trying something
> and if it doesn't work out I will make something else. I am no diplomat, I
> am not a people person and since I am 68 I don't think that is going to
> change.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to handle this, for a person with
> limited interpersonal skills. Maybe some one out there has come up with
> some clever idea for just such occasions.

Your second last paragraph was a good answer. Just tell her what you are
doing and that if it does not work you'll make something else.

If you really cannot do that then you can always hnd her the spoon (or
whatever utensil you have in hand), tell her, "Good lcuk with that." and
leave.

Again, not what I'd do. Lacks diplomacy but might get the message across
(or a couple nights sleeping on the couch).

> --
> JakeInHartsel

Don't send e-mail to

Bubbablue

Glenn Jacobs > wrote:

> It was left over Ham in a cream sause, the ham to be added after sause was
> finished. She suggested tha brocolle be added and the whole ting cooked
> together, rather than added to the sauce at the end.

I can see your point with respect to the broccoli - if you wanted
cream of broccoli soup, you'd have made cream of broccoli soup.

It does make me wonder, though, if she was trying to cut down on the
number of dishes that need to be done, especially if the pots have to
be washed by hand (and by her). Possibility?

wd40
Kajikit

Glenn Jacobs had something important to tell us on Mon, 5 Apr 2004
16:11:09 -0600:

>I wonder if I am the only one with this problem. I like to cook and every
>once and a while will build a new dish just because it seems like it will
>work. In the past I have come up with some very good dishes this way, and
>of course a few busts and one that was such a disaster that I buried it in
>the garden.
>
>Well yesterday I was working on a dish and my wife came and insisted that I
>should do this that and the other. Now to begin with my wife is a average
>to below average cook. Well I got mad did what she said and I destroyed
>the dish. Probably at least partly, because I was so mad.
>
>I know that i should have diplomatically said that I am trying something
>and if it doesn't work out I will make something else. I am no diplomat, I
>am not a people person and since I am 68 I don't think that is going to
>change.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to handle this, for a person with
>limited interpersonal skills. Maybe some one out there has come up with
>some clever idea for just such occasions.

I don't know but it drives me batty. My mother doesn't cook (she
hasn't for decades) but she's a terrible backseat cooker. She's always
coming along and saying 'the pan's too hot, it's going to burn, you
need to add more liquid, you haven't stirred it enough' etc etc. Argh!

Last week I tried to invent a new recipe. I was going to make sauteed
chicken and potatoes for dinner just to have something a little
different... she came along and said 'why isn't there any water in the
pan?' and we ended up with casserole Since she's my mother I have
to just put up with it...

--
~Karen AKA Kajikit
Lover of shiny things...

Made as of 2 April 2004 - 61 cards, 28 SB pages (plus 2 small giftbooks), 52 decos & more!

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
occupant

Kajikit wrote:

> Glenn Jacobs had something important to tell us on Mon, 5 Apr 2004
> 16:11:09 -0600:
>
> >I wonder if I am the only one with this problem. I like to cook and every
> >once and a while will build a new dish just because it seems like it will
> >work. In the past I have come up with some very good dishes this way, and
> >of course a few busts and one that was such a disaster that I buried it in
> >the garden.
> >
> >Well yesterday I was working on a dish and my wife came and insisted that I
> >should do this that and the other. Now to begin with my wife is a average
> >to below average cook. Well I got mad did what she said and I destroyed
> >the dish. Probably at least partly, because I was so mad.
> >
> >I know that i should have diplomatically said that I am trying something
> >and if it doesn't work out I will make something else. I am no diplomat, I
> >am not a people person and since I am 68 I don't think that is going to
> >change.
> >
> >Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to handle this, for a person with
> >limited interpersonal skills. Maybe some one out there has come up with
> >some clever idea for just such occasions.

> I don't know but it drives me batty. My mother doesn't cook (she
> hasn't for decades) but she's a terrible backseat cooker. She's always
> coming along and saying 'the pan's too hot, it's going to burn, you
> need to add more liquid, you haven't stirred it enough' etc etc. Argh!
>
> Last week I tried to invent a new recipe. I was going to make sauteed
> chicken and potatoes for dinner just to have something a little
> different... she came along and said 'why isn't there any water in the
> pan?' and we ended up with casserole Since she's my mother I have
> to just put up with it...
>
> --
> ~Karen AKA Kajikit
> Lover of shiny things...

Everyone's approach is different. If one if fussy like I am, I would
just have to
offer my opinion on the subject at hand, be it in the kitchen or in the
garden.
So I am one of those! But if I was preparing something in the kitchen
and someone
made a suggestion, particularly one I thought had no merit to my
endeavours, I would
say "Brilliant. Thank you. Great idea." or "Brilliant. Thank you.
Great idea, worthy of
consideration." and continue on going about my business just as I had
planned (ignoring the
suggestion) not offended in the least.

If someone disagrees with you and you let them know, they will spend
time, sometimes lots of time
trying to convince you, you have formed the wrong opinion. If you agree
with them for the purpose of
bringing them to silence, it works. Now, of course, I am only referring
to small relationship
irritations with the bigger picture in mind, keeping harmony.

> Made as of 2 April 2004 - 61 cards, 28 SB pages (plus 2 small giftbooks), 52 decos & more!
>
> Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com

PENMART01

>occupant electronicmailfix oozed:
>
>if I was preparing something in the kitchen
>and someone
>made a suggestion, particularly one I thought had no merit to my
>endeavours, I would
>say "Brilliant. Thank you. Great idea." or "Brilliant. Thank you.
>Great idea, worthy of
>consideration." and continue on going about my business just as I had
>planned (ignoring the
>suggestion) not offended in the least.
>
>If someone disagrees with you and you let them know, they will spend
>time, sometimes lots of time
>trying to convince you, you have formed the wrong opinion. If you agree
>with them for the purpose of
>bringing them to silence, it works. Now, of course, I am only referring
>to small relationship
>irritations with the bigger picture in mind, keeping harmony.

Thanks for the heads up that you're yet another smarmy dishonest usenet
*******.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

S.Dunlap

"Dimiri" > wrote in message m>...
> "Glenn Jacobs" > wrote in message
> > I wonder if I am the only one with this problem. I like to cook and every
> > once and a while will build a new dish just because it seems like it will
> > work. In the past I have come up with some very good dishes this way, and
> > of course a few busts and one that was such a disaster that I buried it in
> > the garden.
> >
> > Well yesterday I was working on a dish and my wife came and insisted that

> > should do this that and the other. Now to begin with my wife is a average
> > to below average cook. Well I got mad did what she said and I destroyed
> > the dish. Probably at least partly, because I was so mad.
> >
> > I know that i should have diplomatically said that I am trying something
> > and if it doesn't work out I will make something else. I am no diplomat,

> > am not a people person and since I am 68 I don't think that is going to
> > change.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions of a way to handle this, for a person

> with
> > limited interpersonal skills. Maybe some one out there has come up with
> > some clever idea for just such occasions.

> Boy did you over react or what?
>
> Next time ask her to get a pencil and paper and take notes on what you are
> doing. if she asks why then you can explain if the dish turns our well you
> or she can duplicate it.
>
> Diversion.

Excellent suggestion Dimitri.....my daughter's boyfriend is like
that....always in the kitchen when I am working on creating something.
So...his job is to write down everything that is done while I am
cooking. Ingredients, cooking methods, times, etc. If the dish is
successful....we have the recipe....if it isn't...there is a big note
across it that it was the pits!

Sandi