Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Driving stck shift

In a recent thread about driving, I was adamant that there was little
reason to have to learn stick shift to get your license. I guess I was
wrong and this proves it.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/teen...k-shift/ngQd7/

SEATTLE — Three teens tried to steal a Seattle woman’s car Saturday
afternoon, but couldn’t because none of them knew how to drive a stick
shift.
“I got a five speed in there,” Nancy Fredrickson, 70, said. “They
couldn't figure out how to get it going!”
Fredrickson said she had just walked around the back of her KIA to get
something from the trunk when she heard someone demanding her keys.
At first she thought it was a joke; then, she saw the gun.
“It's not every day you get a gun stuck in your face!" Fredrickson said.
She said a teen wearing a hooded sweatshirt was holding a large gun only
inches away.
Frederickson dropped her keys and said the teens jumped into the car.
But none of them knew how to drive it.
It was hilarious to Fredrickson’s neighbors.
“They can’t drive a stick?” Ryan Whitney exclaimed.
Fredrickson just stood behind her car as the teens tried and failed to
get it to move.
Then they ran across South Main Street and through the neighboring
business’ parking lot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 17:05:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>In a recent thread about driving, I was adamant that there was little
>reason to have to learn stick shift to get your license. I guess I was
>wrong and this proves it.
>
>http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/teen...k-shift/ngQd7/
>

>SEATTLE — Three teens tried to steal a Seattle woman’s car Saturday
>afternoon, but couldn’t because none of them knew how to drive a stick
>shift.
>“I got a five speed in there,” Nancy Fredrickson, 70, said. “They
>couldn't figure out how to get it going!”

LOL... dickheads

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 17:05:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>>In a recent thread about driving, I was adamant that there was little
>>reason to have to learn stick shift to get your license. I guess I was
>>wrong and this proves it.
>>
>>http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/teen...k-shift/ngQd7/
>>

>>SEATTLE - Three teens tried to steal a Seattle woman's car Saturday
>>afternoon, but couldn't because none of them knew how to drive a stick
>>shift.
>>"I got a five speed in there," Nancy Fredrickson, 70, said. "They
>>couldn't figure out how to get it going!"

> LOL... dickheads

Love it))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2014 5:05 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> In a recent thread about driving, I was adamant that there was little
> reason to have to learn stick shift to get your license. I guess I was
> wrong and this proves it.
>
> http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/teen...k-shift/ngQd7/
>

> SEATTLE — Three teens tried to steal a Seattle woman’s car Saturday
> afternoon, but couldn’t because none of them knew how to drive a stick
> shift.
> “I got a five speed in there,” Nancy Fredrickson, 70, said. “They
> couldn't figure out how to get it going!”
> Fredrickson said she had just walked around the back of her KIA to get
> something from the trunk when she heard someone demanding her keys.
> At first she thought it was a joke; then, she saw the gun.
> “It's not every day you get a gun stuck in your face!" Fredrickson said.
> She said a teen wearing a hooded sweatshirt was holding a large gun only
> inches away.
> Frederickson dropped her keys and said the teens jumped into the car.
> But none of them knew how to drive it.
> It was hilarious to Fredrickson’s neighbors.
> “They can’t drive a stick?” Ryan Whitney exclaimed.
> Fredrickson just stood behind her car as the teens tried and failed to
> get it to move.

It's kind of funny but really, she stood there? They have a
GUN.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2014 6:24 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 6/27/2014 5:05 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> In a recent thread about driving, I was adamant that there was little
>> reason to have to learn stick shift to get your license. I guess I was
>> wrong and this proves it.
>>
>> http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/teen...k-shift/ngQd7/
>>

>> SEATTLE — Three teens tried to steal a Seattle woman’s car Saturday
>> afternoon, but couldn’t because none of them knew how to drive a stick
>> shift.
>> “I got a five speed in there,” Nancy Fredrickson, 70, said. “They
>> couldn't figure out how to get it going!”
>> Fredrickson said she had just walked around the back of her KIA to get
>> something from the trunk when she heard someone demanding her keys.
>> At first she thought it was a joke; then, she saw the gun.
>> “It's not every day you get a gun stuck in your face!" Fredrickson said.
>> She said a teen wearing a hooded sweatshirt was holding a large gun only
>> inches away.
>> Frederickson dropped her keys and said the teens jumped into the car.
>> But none of them knew how to drive it.
>> It was hilarious to Fredrickson’s neighbors.
>> “They can’t drive a stick?” Ryan Whitney exclaimed.
>> Fredrickson just stood behind her car as the teens tried and failed to
>> get it to move.

> It's kind of funny but really, she stood there? They have a
> GUN.
>
> nancy

She's lucky they didn't get ticked off and shoot her because they didn't
know how to drive a stick.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2014 8:08 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/27/2014 6:24 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 6/27/2014 5:05 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> “It's not every day you get a gun stuck in your face!" Fredrickson said.
>>> She said a teen wearing a hooded sweatshirt was holding a large gun only
>>> inches away.
>>> Frederickson dropped her keys and said the teens jumped into the car.
>>> But none of them knew how to drive it.
>>> It was hilarious to Fredrickson’s neighbors.
>>> “They can’t drive a stick?” Ryan Whitney exclaimed.
>>> Fredrickson just stood behind her car as the teens tried and failed to
>>> get it to move.

>> It's kind of funny but really, she stood there? They have a
>> GUN.

> She's lucky they didn't get ticked off and shoot her because they didn't
> know how to drive a stick.

Right? Or force her to drive them somewhere. If someone's
threatening you with a weapon and you get to sneak off while
they're trying to drive your car, I would do that.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2014 8:51 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 6/27/2014 8:08 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> It's kind of funny but really, she stood there? They have a
>>> GUN.

>> She's lucky they didn't get ticked off and shoot her because they didn't
>> know how to drive a stick.

> Right? Or force her to drive them somewhere. If someone's
> threatening you with a weapon and you get to sneak off while
> they're trying to drive your car, I would do that.
>
> nancy

Absolutely! I'd be getting away from there as fast as I could.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2014 12:24 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 6/27/2014 5:05 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> In a recent thread about driving, I was adamant that there was little
>> reason to have to learn stick shift to get your license. I guess I was
>> wrong and this proves it.
>>
>> http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/teen...k-shift/ngQd7/
>>

>> SEATTLE — Three teens tried to steal a Seattle woman’s car Saturday
>> afternoon, but couldn’t because none of them knew how to drive a stick
>> shift.
>> “I got a five speed in there,” Nancy Fredrickson, 70, said. “They
>> couldn't figure out how to get it going!”
>> Fredrickson said she had just walked around the back of her KIA to get
>> something from the trunk when she heard someone demanding her keys.
>> At first she thought it was a joke; then, she saw the gun.
>> “It's not every day you get a gun stuck in your face!" Fredrickson said.
>> She said a teen wearing a hooded sweatshirt was holding a large gun only
>> inches away.
>> Frederickson dropped her keys and said the teens jumped into the car.
>> But none of them knew how to drive it.
>> It was hilarious to Fredrickson’s neighbors.
>> “They can’t drive a stick?” Ryan Whitney exclaimed.
>> Fredrickson just stood behind her car as the teens tried and failed to
>> get it to move.

> It's kind of funny but really, she stood there? They have a
> GUN.

That part of the story sounds pretty bogus. She must be addled-brained. :-)

> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> In a recent thread about driving, I was adamant that there was little
> reason to have to learn stick shift to get your license. I guess I was
> wrong and this proves it.
>
> http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/teen...k-shift/ngQd7/
>
> SEATTLE — Three teens tried to steal a Seattle woman’s car Saturday
> afternoon, but couldn’t because none of them knew how to drive a stick
> shift.
> “I got a five speed in there,” Nancy Fredrickson, 70, said. “They couldn't
> figure out how to get it going!”
> Fredrickson said she had just walked around the back of her KIA to get
> something from the trunk when she heard someone demanding her keys.
> At first she thought it was a joke; then, she saw the gun.
> “It's not every day you get a gun stuck in your face!" Fredrickson said.
> She said a teen wearing a hooded sweatshirt was holding a large gun only
> inches away.
> Frederickson dropped her keys and said the teens jumped into the car.
> But none of them knew how to drive it.
> It was hilarious to Fredrickson’s neighbors.
> “They can’t drive a stick?” Ryan Whitney exclaimed.
> Fredrickson just stood behind her car as the teens tried and failed to get
> it to move.
> Then they ran across South Main Street and through the neighboring
> business’ parking lot.

This is funny! But we are not taught to drive a stick here. Daughter went
to the 911 Driving School. It is taught by cops. I believe that they
explained stick shifts but none of the cars were.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 17:05:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>In a recent thread about driving, I was adamant that there was little
>reason to have to learn stick shift to get your license. I guess I was
>wrong and this proves it.
>
>http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/teen...k-shift/ngQd7/

Since we're OT'in here...

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/a...ts/502379.html
I'm off to Russia, to get arrested... and hopefully searched.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 17:05:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>In a recent thread about driving, I was adamant that there was little
>reason to have to learn stick shift to get your license. I guess I was
>wrong and this proves it.

>http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/teen...k-shift/ngQd7/

I learned on a stick and never did get used to automatics. In fact my
inability to drive one got me out of a lot of bothersome "duty
details" when I worked for a US contractor in Saudi Arabia. Our
department had a company car (a huge US-made behemoth) that we grunts
were constantly being required to drive in order to fetch or deliver
someone or something somewhere. On one occasion the lot fell to me. A
slab of marble had to be taken somewhere to be cut to size. I pointed
out that I'd never driven an automatic and didn't think I ought to.
"It's easy" they said and gave me a few pointers: push this, move
that, etc. I sat in the driver's seat. My Saudi counterpart, assigned
to ride shotgun, sat in the passenger seat anxiously clutching the
marble slab. I started the ignition, did what they told me to do, and
took off. I barely got a few meters before "muscle memory" took over:
I stepped on what I *thought* was the clutch and shifted what I
*thought* was the gear shift. That ended my first and only automatic
driving experience. My Saudi counter part was installed in the
driver's seat (even though that was against company policy) and I took
over as shotgun, happily clutching the marble for the rest of the day.
--
Bob
www.kanyak.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/28/2014 12:14 AM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 17:05:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> In a recent thread about driving, I was adamant that there was little
>> reason to have to learn stick shift to get your license. I guess I was
>> wrong and this proves it.
>>
>> http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/teen...k-shift/ngQd7/

> Since we're OT'in here...
>
> http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/a...ts/502379.html
> I'm off to Russia, to get arrested... and hopefully searched.

OMG that's too funny! Police officers or Charlie's Angels? LOL I
certainly hope they don't have to chase anyone wearing those high heels.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/28/2014 2:33 AM, Opinicus wrote:
> "It's easy" they said and gave me a few pointers: push this, move
> that, etc. I sat in the driver's seat. My Saudi counterpart, assigned
> to ride shotgun, sat in the passenger seat anxiously clutching the
> marble slab. I started the ignition, did what they told me to do, and
> took off. I barely got a few meters before "muscle memory" took over:
> I stepped on what I*thought* was the clutch and shifted what I
> *thought* was the gear shift. That ended my first and only automatic
> driving experience. My Saudi counter part was installed in the
> driver's seat (even though that was against company policy) and I took
> over as shotgun, happily clutching the marble for the rest of the day.
> -- Bob

The few times I've driven an automatic in recent years I, too, found
myself reaching to shift and my foot went to where the clutch should be.
I'm not comfortable driving an automatic. I can certainly drive one
if I have to but I'd rather not. And let me take it around the block a
couple of times first to get used to it, okay? :-D

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 07:41:32 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>The few times I've driven an automatic in recent years I, too, found
>myself reaching to shift and my foot went to where the clutch should be.
> I'm not comfortable driving an automatic. I can certainly drive one
>if I have to but I'd rather not. And let me take it around the block a
>couple of times first to get used to it, okay? :-D

Remembering the Saudi incident reminded me of another time when
knowing only how to drive a stick worked to my benefit. I flew to the
States early one summer to visit my family and also buy the
newly-released Apple //c. As I was going to be in Florida for about
three weeks and my mother no longer drove, I decided to rent a car. I
went to the nearest agency and began the proceedings. Once the process
was under way I mentioned that I had to have a standard-not an
automatic. Consternation. "We only have automatics today" they said.
"We can give you a good deal on one." "You really don't want to know
what I can do to an automatic transmission" I said and briefly related
my previous encounter. This being Florida, where car-rental agencies
are a dime a dozen, the manager said "Well we do have *one* standard
available" as I was preparing to leave, adding "but it's a little more
expensive." "I'll take it" I said, remembering what my mother had told
me about the scarcity of standards in gerontocratic Florida.

"It" turned out to be a beautiful, Tweety-Bird/Woodstock-yellow
Mustang. And the stick was on the floor.

I was really, really sorry when I had to return that car three weeks
later.

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 17:05:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> In a recent thread about driving, I was adamant that there was little
> reason to have to learn stick shift to get your license.

OMHO, it depends where one lives; in this neck of the woods, 'stick shift'
vehicles are the 'norm'. I have also owned a couple of vehicles that had
an automatic transmission and will say this:

Automatics are good in heavy traffic (saves having to keep one's foot on
clutch pedal) - but in any other circumstances, I prefer 'stick shift'
vehicles; I can pull off in 1st, 2nd and have even done it in 3rd gear
occasionally <laugh>. And I also know when to change gears - don't need a
rev counter to do it - I still have pretty good hearing...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/28/2014 9:32 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:

> Automatics are good in heavy traffic (saves having to keep one's foot on
> clutch pedal) - but in any other circumstances, I prefer 'stick shift'
> vehicles; I can pull off in 1st, 2nd and have even done it in 3rd gear
> occasionally <laugh>. And I also know when to change gears - don't need a
> rev counter to do it - I still have pretty good hearing...

I'm with you! I like to shift when I feel like it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/28/14, 2:33 AM, Opinicus wrote:

> I learned on a stick and never did get used to automatics. In fact my
> inability to drive one .... "muscle memory" took over:
> I stepped on what I *thought* was the clutch and shifted what I
> *thought* was the gear shift....

So you can't drive a ride-'em lawn mower, or a motor scooter, or a
motorcycle, or a bicycle, or anything else with different control
arrangement or a centrifugal clutch?

Ummm, excuse me, but bullshit, unless you're severely retarded in terms
of muscle control. That's not how "muscle memory" works.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/28/2014 9:40 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 6/28/2014 9:32 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
>
>> Automatics are good in heavy traffic (saves having to keep one's foot on
>> clutch pedal) - but in any other circumstances, I prefer 'stick shift'
>> vehicles; I can pull off in 1st, 2nd and have even done it in 3rd gear
>> occasionally <laugh>. And I also know when to change gears - don't need a
>> rev counter to do it - I still have pretty good hearing...

> I'm with you! I like to shift when I feel like it.
>
> nancy

I can do that with the paddle shifters and not have to play with a
clutch pedal in traffic. I too can do a second gear start with it.

Stick is fun once in a while, but I don't want it for my every day driver.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-06-28 7:41 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> The few times I've driven an automatic in recent years I, too, found
> myself reaching to shift and my foot went to where the clutch should be.
> I'm not comfortable driving an automatic. I can certainly drive one
> if I have to but I'd rather not. And let me take it around the block a
> couple of times first to get used to it, okay? :-D

I have had this CRV for about 10 months and I still tend to rest my hand
on the shift lever. I have had a number of cars with automatic
transmissions and I drove a lot of cars, pickups and vans with
automatics, but I have also had several manual transmission cars and
pickup trucks. I guess I get my shift fix from the motorcycle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/28/2014 10:02 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/28/2014 9:40 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 6/28/2014 9:32 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
>>
>>> Automatics are good in heavy traffic (saves having to keep one's foot on
>>> clutch pedal) - but in any other circumstances, I prefer 'stick shift'
>>> vehicles; I can pull off in 1st, 2nd and have even done it in 3rd gear
>>> occasionally <laugh>. And I also know when to change gears - don't
>>> need a
>>> rev counter to do it - I still have pretty good hearing...

>> I'm with you! I like to shift when I feel like it.

> I can do that with the paddle shifters and not have to play with a
> clutch pedal in traffic. I too can do a second gear start with it.

I actually can shift with my car, and my previous car, though no
clutch pedal. It's not the same and I don't bother with it.

> Stick is fun once in a while, but I don't want it for my every day driver.

Of course, to each his own, I only speak strictly for myself
and if other people prefer automatic, certainly it's not my
business.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/28/2014 6:41 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/28/2014 2:33 AM, Opinicus wrote:
>> "It's easy" they said and gave me a few pointers: push this, move
>> that, etc. I sat in the driver's seat. My Saudi counterpart, assigned
>> to ride shotgun, sat in the passenger seat anxiously clutching the
>> marble slab. I started the ignition, did what they told me to do, and
>> took off. I barely got a few meters before "muscle memory" took over:
>> I stepped on what I*thought* was the clutch and shifted what I
>> *thought* was the gear shift. That ended my first and only automatic
>> driving experience. My Saudi counter part was installed in the
>> driver's seat (even though that was against company policy) and I took
>> over as shotgun, happily clutching the marble for the rest of the day.
>> -- Bob

> The few times I've driven an automatic in recent years I, too, found
> myself reaching to shift and my foot went to where the clutch should be.
> I'm not comfortable driving an automatic. I can certainly drive one
> if I have to but I'd rather not. And let me take it around the block a
> couple of times first to get used to it, okay? :-D
>
> Jill

I learned on a stick and always drove one. I felt more in control with
the stick. My Freightliner medium duty truck, which was my daily driver
when we lived on the road only needed the clutch for first and reversed.
It had a computer that read the RPMS and automatically shifted gears.

I did get an automatic when we bought the Honda Civic in 2005 and I got
quite used to it. We needed a car and were buying off the lot.

The Chevy Spark is a stick so it can be towed behind the motor home.

My next car will be an automatic mainly for two reasons: 1) there is no
warranty on the clutch (you have to buy an entire assembly for $$$) and,
2), the newer cars come with packages. You can't get many of the toys
and gizmos on a stick. For example: The stick model of Spark is the
base model and you can't get cruise control.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 23:12:50 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> LOL... dickheads

>>Love it))

> Yeah, don't mess with old wimmen !

Too right!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/28/2014 10:25 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Stick is fun once in a while, but I don't want it for my every day
>> driver.

> Of course, to each his own, I only speak strictly for myself
> and if other people prefer automatic, certainly it's not my
> business.
>
> nancy

At least you will be ready should you decide to hijack a car with
standard transmission.

Your choices are becoming less too. More models are dropping the stick
in favor of the auto. Not sure how much is the decline of use versus
computer controlled auto that can give higher EPA ratings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 17:05:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>>In a recent thread about driving, I was adamant that there was little
>>reason to have to learn stick shift to get your license. I guess I was
>>wrong and this proves it.
>>
>>http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/teen...k-shift/ngQd7/

> Since we're OT'in here...
>
> http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/a...ts/502379.html
> I'm off to Russia, to get arrested... and hopefully searched.

Why? You going to wear a short shirt??? ;-)

I can't believe police wearing those shoes!! Well at least they won't be
able to run very fast )))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/28/2014 10:37 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/28/2014 10:25 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>>> Stick is fun once in a while, but I don't want it for my every day
>>> driver.

>> Of course, to each his own, I only speak strictly for myself
>> and if other people prefer automatic, certainly it's not my
>> business.

> At least you will be ready should you decide to hijack a car with
> standard transmission.

(laugh) Just the idea of someone trying to steal a car and
not being able to get into first gear cracks me up. I've
seen stories like that before. It's almost like a bait car
gotcha. Neener neener, loser.

> Your choices are becoming less too. More models are dropping the stick
> in favor of the auto. Not sure how much is the decline of use versus
> computer controlled auto that can give higher EPA ratings.

I sold my last stick shift (loved that Maxima) probably 6 years
ago. We always drove sticks because that's what I like, but
now we get automatics.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Opinicus" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 17:05:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>>In a recent thread about driving, I was adamant that there was little
>>reason to have to learn stick shift to get your license. I guess I was
>>wrong and this proves it.

>>http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/teen...k-shift/ngQd7/

> I learned on a stick and never did get used to automatics. In fact my
> inability to drive one got me out of a lot of bothersome "duty
> details" when I worked for a US contractor in Saudi Arabia. Our
> department had a company car (a huge US-made behemoth) that we grunts
> were constantly being required to drive in order to fetch or deliver
> someone or something somewhere. On one occasion the lot fell to me. A
> slab of marble had to be taken somewhere to be cut to size. I pointed
> out that I'd never driven an automatic and didn't think I ought to.
> "It's easy" they said and gave me a few pointers: push this, move
> that, etc. I sat in the driver's seat. My Saudi counterpart, assigned
> to ride shotgun, sat in the passenger seat anxiously clutching the
> marble slab. I started the ignition, did what they told me to do, and
> took off. I barely got a few meters before "muscle memory" took over:
> I stepped on what I *thought* was the clutch and shifted what I
> *thought* was the gear shift. That ended my first and only automatic
> driving experience. My Saudi counter part was installed in the
> driver's seat (even though that was against company policy) and I took
> over as shotgun, happily clutching the marble for the rest of the day.

LOL I know what you mean about using a clutch that isn't there)) I get a
bit of that when I move from my stick shift to my auto, but I've been
driving auto for so many years I soon fall in to it

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 17:05:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> In a recent thread about driving, I was adamant that there was little
>> reason to have to learn stick shift to get your license.

> OMHO, it depends where one lives; in this neck of the woods, 'stick shift'
> vehicles are the 'norm'. I have also owned a couple of vehicles that had
> an automatic transmission and will say this:
>
> Automatics are good in heavy traffic (saves having to keep one's foot on
> clutch pedal) - but in any other circumstances, I prefer 'stick shift'
> vehicles; I can pull off in 1st, 2nd and have even done it in 3rd gear
> occasionally <laugh>. And I also know when to change gears - don't need a
> rev counter to do it - I still have pretty good hearing...

I drove stick change for so many years it becomes automatic .... iyswim I
don't need to think about it.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 17:05:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> In a recent thread about driving, I was adamant that there was little
> reason to have to learn stick shift to get your license. I guess I was
> wrong and this proves it.
>
> http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/teen...k-shift/ngQd7/

LOL! They picked the wrong business to be crooks in.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

>Automatics are good in heavy traffic (saves having to keep one's foot on
>clutch pedal) - but in any other circumstances, I prefer 'stick shift'
>vehicles; I can pull off in 1st, 2nd and have even done it in 3rd gear
>occasionally <laugh>. And I also know when to change gears - don't need a
>rev counter to do it - I still have pretty good hearing...

Actually it's more about feeling the vibrations than hearing the sound
the vibrations make... driving stick is like sex, you know by what
you're feeling as you go through the gears when you're getting to that
special point of no return... wheeeeeeeeee. . . .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 09:40:02 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 6/28/2014 9:32 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
>
>> Automatics are good in heavy traffic (saves having to keep one's foot on
>> clutch pedal) - but in any other circumstances, I prefer 'stick shift'
>> vehicles; I can pull off in 1st, 2nd and have even done it in 3rd gear
>> occasionally <laugh>. And I also know when to change gears - don't need a
>> rev counter to do it - I still have pretty good hearing...

>I'm with you! I like to shift when I feel like it.
>
>nancy

See, I was right... wheeeeeeeeee. . . .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 05:15:20 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/28/2014 12:14 AM, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 17:05:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>>
>>> In a recent thread about driving, I was adamant that there was little
>>> reason to have to learn stick shift to get your license. I guess I was
>>> wrong and this proves it.
>>>
>>> http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/teen...k-shift/ngQd7/

>> Since we're OT'in here...
>>
>> http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/a...ts/502379.html
>> I'm off to Russia, to get arrested... and hopefully searched.
>>

>OMG that's too funny! Police officers or Charlie's Angels? LOL I
>certainly hope they don't have to chase anyone wearing those high heels.

I certainly can't see how any of those women could perform their
duties properly in those shoes. Then again, it might work really well
on men... straight men at least
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 15:41:33 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 17:05:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>>
>>>In a recent thread about driving, I was adamant that there was little
>>>reason to have to learn stick shift to get your license. I guess I was
>>>wrong and this proves it.
>>>
>>>http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/teen...k-shift/ngQd7/

>> Since we're OT'in here...
>>
>> http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/a...ts/502379.html
>> I'm off to Russia, to get arrested... and hopefully searched.

>Why? You going to wear a short shirt??? ;-)
>
>I can't believe police wearing those shoes!! Well at least they won't be
>able to run very fast )))

I know, it's crazy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 15:52:35 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>LOL I know what you mean about using a clutch that isn't there)) I get a
>bit of that when I move from my stick shift to my auto, but I've been
>driving auto for so many years I soon fall in to it

I was only just thinking about it - I can't recall the last time I
drove an automatic car. I'm guessing over 12 years, wow... that
surprises me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 09:40:02 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 6/28/2014 9:32 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
>
>> Automatics are good in heavy traffic (saves having to keep one's foot on
>> clutch pedal) - but in any other circumstances, I prefer 'stick shift'
>> vehicles; I can pull off in 1st, 2nd and have even done it in 3rd gear
>> occasionally <laugh>. And I also know when to change gears - don't need a
>> rev counter to do it - I still have pretty good hearing...

>I'm with you! I like to shift when I feel like it.

Me too. I often start off in 2nd gear on our hilly roads around here.
(depends on vehicle's gearing, engine torque, etc.). Too many people
will always take off in 1st by default, when it isn't really
appropriate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 09:40:02 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>>On 6/28/2014 9:32 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
>>
>>> Automatics are good in heavy traffic (saves having to keep one's foot on
>>> clutch pedal) - but in any other circumstances, I prefer 'stick shift'
>>> vehicles; I can pull off in 1st, 2nd and have even done it in 3rd gear
>>> occasionally <laugh>. And I also know when to change gears - don't need
>>> rev counter to do it - I still have pretty good hearing...

>>I'm with you! I like to shift when I feel like it.

> Me too. I often start off in 2nd gear on our hilly roads around here.
> (depends on vehicle's gearing, engine torque, etc.). Too many people
> will always take off in 1st by default, when it isn't really
> appropriate.

Because they are not used to the way the clutch and gears work.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/28/2014 4:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> LOL I know what you mean about using a clutch that isn't there)) I get
> a bit of that when I move from my stick shift to my auto, but I've been
> driving auto for so many years I soon fall in to it

I have done that - of course, I'm addle-brained. I've had cars with
automatics that had dead pedals where the clutch would be. They are
damned cute. As it goes, the question of auto or stick really depends on
the car. I've had cars that worked wonderfully with autos and others
that were shit-pits with standard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 6/28/2014 4:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> LOL I know what you mean about using a clutch that isn't there)) I get
>> a bit of that when I move from my stick shift to my auto, but I've been
>> driving auto for so many years I soon fall in to it
>>

> I have done that - of course, I'm addle-brained. I've had cars with
> automatics that had dead pedals where the clutch would be. They are damned
> cute. As it goes, the question of auto or stick really depends on the car.
> I've had cars that worked wonderfully with autos and others that were
> shit-pits with standard.

I have never seen a car with a dead pedal))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-06-28 4:58 PM, Jeßus wrote:

>> I'm with you! I like to shift when I feel like it.

> Me too. I often start off in 2nd gear on our hilly roads around here.
> (depends on vehicle's gearing, engine torque, etc.). Too many people
> will always take off in 1st by default, when it isn't really
> appropriate.

Actually, it is appropriate to start off in low gear in a car,
especially in hilly areas. Car engines develop their horsepower as a
function of the RPM. Engaging the clutch in a higher gear and at low RPM
is hard on the clutch and the engine. Since engines are designed to
deliver their power and certain engine speeds, they are more efficient
when operating in those ranges. Diesel engines tend to deliver more
power at low RPM than their gas powered counterparts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 22:09:49 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 09:40:02 -0400, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:

>>>I'm with you! I like to shift when I feel like it.

>> Me too. I often start off in 2nd gear on our hilly roads around here.
>> (depends on vehicle's gearing, engine torque, etc.). Too many people
>> will always take off in 1st by default, when it isn't really
>> appropriate.

>Because they are not used to the way the clutch and gears work.

I think it's more a lack of thinking and sheer habit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-06-28 5:37 PM, Jeßus wrote:

>>> Me too. I often start off in 2nd gear on our hilly roads around here.
>>> (depends on vehicle's gearing, engine torque, etc.). Too many people
>>> will always take off in 1st by default, when it isn't really
>>> appropriate.

>> Because they are not used to the way the clutch and gears work.

> I think it's more a lack of thinking and sheer habit.

Unless you are going downhill, it is always appropriate to start off in
first gear in a car. You can shift sooner. Starting off is where most
clutch wear happens.