Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Silly survey on the RFC site: Eating while driving...

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
Vote now! (or not)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've munched a cheeseburger and fries OR a glazed chocolate donut or two and
coffee behind the wheel.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> I've munched a cheeseburger and fries OR a glazed chocolate donut or two and
> coffee behind the wheel.

Well I hope the coffee wasn't from MacD's

Best I ever saw was on a bus-ride. There was a woman in her car next to
the bus - I looked down through the window and saw her eating her
morning cereal - out of a blue bowl on her lap with the spoon in one
hand - couldn't see the other hand, she had the morning paper spread out
over the wheel too... talk about breakfast on the run! The traffic was
"crawling" - but still...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote on Sun, 13 May 2007 07:00:16 -0500:

A> I've munched a cheeseburger and fries OR a glazed chocolate
A> donut or two and coffee behind the wheel.

A> Andy

I've done a bit of eating and drinking while driving but I'll
admit that both can be distracting. I try to avoid eating
especially and mostly, I stick to things like bagels, soft
pretzels, donuts and candy since anything that can fall apart
is a major distraction for a short while,

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> I've done a bit of eating and drinking while driving but I'll admit that
> both can be distracting. I try to avoid eating especially and mostly, I
> stick to things like bagels, soft pretzels, donuts and candy since
> anything that can fall apart is a major distraction for a short while,

I also find it distracting - especially trying to drink something. I eat
the odd piece of candy, and whatever - but I have never had the
"coordination" to eat stuff like burgers and drive at the same time - I
have a "manual" car BTW... I suppose it's a bit easier with an
automatic transmission, tho'.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy said...

> James Silverton wrote:
>

>> I've done a bit of eating and drinking while driving but I'll admit that
>> both can be distracting. I try to avoid eating especially and mostly, I
>> stick to things like bagels, soft pretzels, donuts and candy since
>> anything that can fall apart is a major distraction for a short while,

> I also find it distracting - especially trying to drink something. I eat
> the odd piece of candy, and whatever - but I have never had the
> "coordination" to eat stuff like burgers and drive at the same time - I
> have a "manual" car BTW... I suppose it's a bit easier with an
> automatic transmission, tho'.

I have a manual tranny as well. Thank God for red lights!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> James Silverton wrote:
>

> > I've done a bit of eating and drinking while driving but I'll admit that
> > both can be distracting. I try to avoid eating especially and mostly, I
> > stick to things like bagels, soft pretzels, donuts and candy since
> > anything that can fall apart is a major distraction for a short while,

> I also find it distracting - especially trying to drink something. I eat
> the odd piece of candy, and whatever - but I have never had the
> "coordination" to eat stuff like burgers and drive at the same time - I
> have a "manual" car BTW... I suppose it's a bit easier with an
> automatic transmission, tho'.

To each his own. My typical morning drive to work involves munching on a
bagel and drinking a diet Pepsi. I have never found it to be a
distraction.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote

> James Silverton wrote:

>> I've done a bit of eating and drinking while driving but I'll admit that
>> both can be distracting. I try to avoid eating especially and mostly, I
>> stick to things like bagels, soft pretzels, donuts and candy since
>> anything that can fall apart is a major distraction for a short while,

> I also find it distracting - especially trying to drink something. I eat
> the odd piece of candy, and whatever - but I have never had the
> "coordination" to eat stuff like burgers and drive at the same time - I
> have a "manual" car BTW... I suppose it's a bit easier with an automatic
> transmission, tho'.

I could eat more easily with a stick shift because it's like second
nature to me. However, none of my cars ever had cup holders,
so while I sure managed to drive with a cup of coffee or a soda,
I've spilled my fair share of it while driving. Also, I told myself,
if you ever get into a situation, just toss the coffee onto the
passenger side floor, don't save the soda at the expense of getting
into an accident.

I think it's reasonably safe to drive with a beverage, but I'll take
a pass on eating while driving.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> I think it's reasonably safe to drive with a beverage, but I'll take
> a pass on eating while driving.

Only thing I'll eat is a simple snack type food or a piece of fruit. No
burgers dripping grease or slices of pizza.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>>
>> I think it's reasonably safe to drive with a beverage, but I'll take
>> a pass on eating while driving.

> Only thing I'll eat is a simple snack type food or a piece of fruit. No
> burgers dripping grease or slices of pizza.

I can see that. It boils down to Are you paying attention to the
road and can you stop or change lanes/whatever if traffic
stops suddenly. Some people need to pick one thing and do
that, not both, you know what I mean. Heh. A lot of people
think they are multitasking just fine when they are not.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

x"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I think it's reasonably safe to drive with a beverage, but
>>> I'll take
>>> a pass on eating while driving.

>> Only thing I'll eat is a simple snack type food or a piece of
>> fruit. No burgers dripping grease or slices of pizza.

> I can see that. It boils down to Are you paying attention to
> the
> road and can you stop or change lanes/whatever if traffic
> stops suddenly. Some people need to pick one thing and do
> that, not both, you know what I mean. Heh. A lot of people
> think they are multitasking just fine when they are not.

Sounds a bit like what Lyndon Johnson said about Gerald Ford. By
the way, the original second activity besides walking was *not*
chewing gum!

--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> Vote now! (or not)
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

I had a job where I had no choice but to eat while driving. I did juvenile
transport and there were days I'd be on the road 20 hours and never even
leave the state.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 13, 8:42 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>
> > I think it's reasonably safe to drive with a beverage, but I'll take
> > a pass on eating while driving.

> Only thing I'll eat is a simple snack type food or a piece of fruit. No
> burgers dripping grease or slices of pizza.

Same here. A little bag of pretzels and a Diet Pepsi is do-able, but
it's better not to get anything complicated going while trying to
drive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 13, 6:53 am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> Vote now! (or not)
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Eh, not so silly. When I see people chasing after bits of food
they've dropped, tipping their heads back to get the last bit of
whatever from the can, and weaving from side to side on the road, it's
no longer so silly.

Guilty as charged.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> I've munched a cheeseburger and fries OR a glazed chocolate donut or
> two and coffee behind the wheel.
>
> Andy

I get nervous just taking a sip of water when I'm driving. Only takes a
split second of your eyes off the road (in this case, to look down to
retrieve the bottle) for someone to slam on their brakes ahead of you.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Andy wrote:
> > I've munched a cheeseburger and fries OR a glazed chocolate donut or
> > two and coffee behind the wheel.

> I get nervous just taking a sip of water when I'm driving. Only takes a
> split second of your eyes off the road (in this case, to look down to
> retrieve the bottle) for someone to slam on their brakes ahead of you.

Some of us can multi task to some degree. You should be able to eat a
sandwich and drive at the same time without too much trouble, but if it is
a sloppy burger and you are one to get upset about the innards slopping out
onto your clothes you really should pull over. I spent a few years driving
trucks and then a lot of years behind the wheel of a cruiser. Eating was a
good reason to stop.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> Vote now! (or not)
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Wanna hear about the time I was eating an ice cream cone while driving in a
slow-moving line of traffic and it fell to the floor and I instinctively
reached to pick it up and the car in front of me stopped suddenly and I
slammed into its rear?

You just did.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> I've munched a cheeseburger and fries OR a glazed chocolate donut or
>>> two and coffee behind the wheel.

>> I get nervous just taking a sip of water when I'm driving. Only
>> takes a split second of your eyes off the road (in this case, to
>> look down to retrieve the bottle) for someone to slam on their
>> brakes ahead of you.

> Some of us can multi task to some degree. You should be able to eat a
> sandwich and drive at the same time without too much trouble, but if
> it is a sloppy burger and you are one to get upset about the innards
> slopping out onto your clothes you really should pull over. I spent
> a few years driving trucks and then a lot of years behind the wheel
> of a cruiser. Eating was a good reason to stop.

I can multi-task just fine But the way people drive around here, cutting
very close into the lane right in front of you then hitting their brakes,
I'd rather not attempt it. I don't normally carry a beverage in my car
anyway unless I'm driving any great distance (such as my home to Jonesboro,
AR, a close to 90 mile drive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice Friese" > wrote

> "Chatty Cathy" > wrote

>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> Wanna hear about the time I was eating an ice cream cone while driving in
> a slow-moving line of traffic and it fell to the floor and I instinctively
> reached to pick it up and the car in front of me stopped suddenly and I
> slammed into its rear?
>
> You just did.

Oh, man. That's what I was saying, I told myself if something
comes up, or the thing falls, just forget about it because if you leave
it up to your instincts, that's what you will do. Was the person very
angry with you?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> James Silverton wrote:
>

>> I've done a bit of eating and drinking while driving but I'll admit
>> that both can be distracting. I try to avoid eating especially and
>> mostly, I stick to things like bagels, soft pretzels, donuts and
>> candy since anything that can fall apart is a major distraction for
>> a short while,

> I also find it distracting - especially trying to drink something. I
> eat the odd piece of candy, and whatever - but I have never had the
> "coordination" to eat stuff like burgers and drive at the same time -
> I have a "manual" car BTW... I suppose it's a bit easier with an
> automatic transmission, tho'.

Ah, yes, the transmission would be a factor. My car also has a manual
transmission. I need one hand for the steering wheel and one for the stick
shift when driving in traffic.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> Andy wrote:
>> I've munched a cheeseburger and fries OR a glazed chocolate donut or
>> two and coffee behind the wheel.
>>
>> Andy

> I get nervous just taking a sip of water when I'm driving. Only takes a
> split second of your eyes off the road (in this case, to look down to
> retrieve the bottle) for someone to slam on their brakes ahead of you.
>
> Jill

Jill,

That's understandable. I don't eat in the car very often, but it's easy to
predict when it's safe to take a bite or sip of something, depending on
traffic density.

I'm not gonna speed along at 90mph on the NJ Turnpike in the fast lane
eating a cheesesteak! But in the sleepy town of Media, PA, I can have the
road to myself for minutes at a time. No cheesesteak at any speed, mind
you.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> Vote now! (or not)
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

This could easily be merged into the cellphone thread. ;-)

My phone came with a head set and an answering button built into the
cable...

I rarely eat while driving, but I won't deny doing it from time to time.
I ate a breakfast taco I bought at work on my way home today and bought
an extra one for dad.

I was done with it tho' by the time I hit the freeway... His was still
hot when I got home and he appreciated it greatly! Sausage, egg and
cheese. Nothing else, just very simple.

I normally buy one on Saturday Morning and place it well wrapped into a
mini-ice chest to keep it hot for the 20 minutes it takes for me to
drive to the range. I then park and eat it, and watch the sun come up
while listening to WOAI AM 1200.

I skipped this week because I had to work a 12 hour night shift last
night.

<sigh>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote

> This could easily be merged into the cellphone thread. ;-)
>
> My phone came with a head set and an answering button built into the
> cable...

Funny, until just a couple of weeks ago I had no idea one of my cars
came with a hands free phone.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote
>
> > This could easily be merged into the cellphone thread. ;-)
> >
> > My phone came with a head set and an answering button built into the
> > cable...

> Funny, until just a couple of weeks ago I had no idea one of my cars
> came with a hands free phone.
>
> nancy

Really? :-)

Details?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote
>>
>> > This could easily be merged into the cellphone thread. ;-)
>> >
>> > My phone came with a head set and an answering button built into the
>> > cable...

>> Funny, until just a couple of weeks ago I had no idea one of my cars
>> came with a hands free phone.

> Really? :-)
>
> Details?

There's a button. Bluetooth. If you hit it accidentally some voice
talks to you and tells you you don't have a carrier or something.
You have to sign up with a service, naturally. Rattled me pretty
good, what the hell? No, no dialing, put the radio back on!

(laugh) nancy, pathetic

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Felice Friese" > wrote
>
>> "Chatty Cathy" > wrote

>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

>> Wanna hear about the time I was eating an ice cream cone while driving in
>> a slow-moving line of traffic and it fell to the floor and I
>> instinctively reached to pick it up and the car in front of me stopped
>> suddenly and I slammed into its rear?
>>
>> You just did.

> Oh, man. That's what I was saying, I told myself if something
> comes up, or the thing falls, just forget about it because if you leave
> it up to your instincts, that's what you will do. Was the person very
> angry with you?
>
> nancy

She was remarkably reasonable (I couldn't bring myself to tell her why I hit
her) but it was a lesson to me. When I think of what didn't happen, and
could have, I vowed to keep both hands on the wheel forever after amen.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> Vote now! (or not)

lol, everybody eats what they want while driving
(according to the survey)

The worst stunt I've ever pulled was eating pancakes DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD

you n'd up just rolling the cakes and dragging them trough the syrup

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote
>
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> >
> >> "Omelet" > wrote

> >> Funny, until just a couple of weeks ago I had no idea one of my cars
> >> came with a hands free phone.

> > Really? :-)
> >
> > Details?

> There's a button. Bluetooth. If you hit it accidentally some voice
> talks to you and tells you you don't have a carrier or something.
> You have to sign up with a service, naturally. Rattled me pretty
> good, what the hell? No, no dialing, put the radio back on!
>
> (laugh) nancy, pathetic

Not. :-)

I don't own a blue tooth and have no clu' how to use one either!
My phone came with two small head sets that plug into it, and the
manuals explain how to use them.

I'm not enough of a cellphone addict yet to have tried them.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
> I don't own a blue tooth and have no clu' how to use one either!
> My phone came with two small head sets that plug into it, and the
> manuals explain how to use them.
>
> I'm not enough of a cellphone addict yet to have tried them.

Bluetooth is a wireless version. Now that some states are forbidding hand
held use, it is nice to have. While you can make the argument that a phone
call can be distracting anyway, it sure does help.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> > I don't own a blue tooth and have no clu' how to use one either!
> > My phone came with two small head sets that plug into it, and the
> > manuals explain how to use them.
> >
> > I'm not enough of a cellphone addict yet to have tried them.

> Bluetooth is a wireless version. Now that some states are forbidding hand
> held use, it is nice to have. While you can make the argument that a phone
> call can be distracting anyway, it sure does help.

I have bluetooth software on my home computer.

Thing is, I just don't have the NEED for that kind of technology!
I really only need contact for minor things and emergencies.

For instance, I may call dad from the grocery store to see if he has any
additions to the shopping list that I might have forgotten. That's maybe
a couple of times per month. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote

> Bluetooth is a wireless version. Now that some states are forbidding hand
> held use, it is nice to have. While you can make the argument that a
> phone call can be distracting anyway, it sure does help.

Talking on the phone is the distracting part and they've proven
it. But, they can't enforce telling people they can't talk in their
car, so they go after the obvious part, holding the phone.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> I've munched a cheeseburger and fries OR a glazed chocolate donut or two
> and coffee behind the wheel.

Well-constructed burritos are easily eaten with one hand. I tried eating an
In-n-Out burger while driving exactly ONCE, but found it too sloppy. (I
pulled off into a parking lot to finish the burger.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>
>> I've munched a cheeseburger and fries OR a glazed chocolate donut or two
>> and coffee behind the wheel.

> Well-constructed burritos are easily eaten with one hand. I tried eating an
> In-n-Out burger while driving exactly ONCE, but found it too sloppy. (I
> pulled off into a parking lot to finish the burger.)
>
> Bob

Try eating a barbecued chicken while driving sometime...

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> > Andy wrote:
> >
> >> I've munched a cheeseburger and fries OR a glazed chocolate donut or two
> >> and coffee behind the wheel.

> > Well-constructed burritos are easily eaten with one hand. I tried eating an
> > In-n-Out burger while driving exactly ONCE, but found it too sloppy. (I
> > pulled off into a parking lot to finish the burger.)
> >
> > Bob
> >

> Try eating a barbecued chicken while driving sometime...
>
> Bob

If you break it up first, no big deal... :-)

Roast chickens (for us) were a popular travel food.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 May 2007 23:25:02 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Andy wrote:
>
>> I've munched a cheeseburger and fries OR a glazed chocolate donut or two
>> and coffee behind the wheel.

>Well-constructed burritos are easily eaten with one hand. I tried eating an
>In-n-Out burger while driving exactly ONCE, but found it too sloppy. (I
>pulled off into a parking lot to finish the burger.)

Yes! In N Out is not a burger to eat in the car. You need two hands
for the burger and another one for the napkin.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> Andy wrote:
> > I've munched a cheeseburger and fries OR a glazed chocolate donut or two and
> > coffee behind the wheel.

> Well I hope the coffee wasn't from MacD's
>
> Best I ever saw was on a bus-ride. There was a woman in her car next to
> the bus - I looked down through the window and saw her eating her
> morning cereal - out of a blue bowl on her lap with the spoon in one
> hand

That was me (without the newspaper). When I worked, I ate on the run
all the time. I used to have a litttle Toyota MR2 stick, and I
mastered eating and driving. I don't do it now simply because I have
enough distraction between DS and myimpaired vision. But it didn't
used to be a problem for me at all.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Survey results say driving and eating is dangerous but SO WHAT!?!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 14, 3:52 am, "-L." > wrote:
I have
> enough distraction between DS and myimpaired vision.

in the land of the blind, the gal with one eye is queen!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Survey results say driving and eating is dangerous but SO WHAT!?!
>
> Andy

So don't do it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Chatty Cathy > said:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> Vote now! (or not)

I'm amused that so many people thinks it's a distraction, but admit to
doing it anyway. I'm one of them. Then again, I've had a checkered
driving career -- I once changed out of a mini-dress into a pair of
footie pajamas and overalls while doing 70+ down I-5... :-)

--
Jani in WA