rob tyler

Default driving across the USA - provisional itinerary

We have now put together a rough outline of the itinerary for our drive
across the USA from New York to San Francisco via New Orleans and Santa Fe.
This is my first trip to the USA.

We have had many useful suggestions from the newsgroup and our route and
places to stay are rough guides as to the final journey. We would love to
hear of any recommended towns along the route that would offer more
interesting stopping places; and any other suggestions or comments. We are a
bit wary now as to the weather conditions in the South West in particular.

And the important question is: What should we not miss? Which features along
the route or involving a reasonable detour would you recommend we include?

From a vegan perspective: does anybody have any knowledge of vegan friendly
hotels, B&Bs etc that we could stay at?

13th December, Saturday Fly to New York JFK drive to Philadelphia PA 106
miles

14th December, Sunday past Washington to Roanake VA 378 miles

15th December, Monday to Knoxville TA 260 miles

16th December, Tuesday Chattanooga TA 112 miles

17th December, Wednesday Tuscaloosa AL 204 miles

18th December, Thursday New Orlreans LS 291 miles

19th December, , Friday New Orleans LS 0 miles

20th December, Saturday Beaumont TX 261 miles

21th December, Sunday Austin TX 248 miles

22th December, Monday Sheffield TX 317 miles

23rd December, Tuesday Carslbad, NM 210 miles

Christmas Eve, Wednesday Santa Fe NM 267 miles

Christmas Day, Thursday Santa Fe NM 0 miles

26th December, , Friday Gallup NM 198 miles

27th December, Saturday Flagstaff AZ 185 miles

28th December, Sunday Flagstaff & Grand Canyon 77 miles

29th December, Monday Las Vegas NV 275 miles

30th December, Tuesday Bakersfield CA 286 miles

New Years Eve, Wednesday San Francisco CA 288 miles

New Years Day, Thursday San Francisco CA 0 miles

2nd January, Friday explore the Californian coast

3rd January, Saturday day off

4th January, Sunday San Francisco: Fly back to London

Approximately 4000 miles for the trip

Rubystars

"rob tyler" > wrote in message

Don't forget to check out the Carlsbad caverns.

http://www.nps.gov/cave/

rob tyler

"Rubystars" > wrote in message

> "rob tyler" > wrote in message
>
> Don't forget to check out the Carlsbad caverns.
>
> http://www.nps.gov/cave/

definitely on the route
- is there a New Orleans, Santa Fe or San Francisco veggy group? i must look

usual suspect

rob tyler wrote:
> We have now put together a rough outline of the itinerary for our drive
> across the USA from New York to San Francisco via New Orleans and Santa Fe.
> This is my first trip to the USA.
>
> We have had many useful suggestions from the newsgroup and our route and
> places to stay are rough guides as to the final journey. We would love to
> hear of any recommended towns along the route that would offer more
> interesting stopping places; and any other suggestions or comments. We are a
> bit wary now as to the weather conditions in the South West in particular.
>
> And the important question is: What should we not miss? Which features along
> the route or involving a reasonable detour would you recommend we include?
>
> From a vegan perspective: does anybody have any knowledge of vegan friendly
> hotels, B&Bs etc that we could stay at?
>
> 13th December, Saturday Fly to New York JFK drive to Philadelphia PA 106
> miles
>
> 14th December, Sunday past Washington to Roanake VA 378 miles
>
> 15th December, Monday to Knoxville TA 260 miles
>
> 16th December, Tuesday Chattanooga TA 112 miles
>
> 17th December, Wednesday Tuscaloosa AL 204 miles
>
> 18th December, Thursday New Orlreans LS 291 miles
>
> 19th December, , Friday New Orleans LS 0 miles
>
> 20th December, Saturday Beaumont TX 261 miles

Why are you going to stay in Bore-mont? You'll find a lot more to see
and do in Houston (including some very good veg-n restaurants), which is
only another hour and a half away. Try any of the following restaurants
in Houston.

Quan Yin, 10804 Bellaire.
http://www.quanyinvegetarian.com/

Madras Pavilion, 3910 Kirby.

Tien Ren (my fave), 7549 Westheimer.

> 21th December, Sunday Austin TX 248 miles

I recommend any of the following restaurants:
Madras Pavilion (run by the same people in Houston), 9025 Research.

Mother's (more ambience than any other spot listed), 4215 Duval.
http://motherscafe.citysearch.com/

Casa de Luz (new age hang out), 1701 Toomey.
http://www.casadeluz.org/

Veggie Heaven, 1914A Guadalupe (on the Drag near UT).
(run by the same cult who run Quan Yin in Houston)

Some Austin veggie food reviews:
http://www.austinchronicle.com/issue...food_set7.html

Casa de Luz and Veggie Heaven are a little closer to Sixth Street --
where you can stroll all night and catch some of the music scene. There
are clubs and venues all over town; don't miss the Broken Spoke on South
Lamar (Willie often shows up to play there when he's in town) if you get
a chance. You could also grab a bite at the Whole Foods (they have
tables and prepared foods) at Sixth and Lamar if you want to stay closer
to the 6th Street action. One thing you shouldn't miss if you can stay
up late is Katz's Deli on Sixth anytime after 2am. They have some veg-n
food on the menu, but the people-watching experience is out of this
world. Literally.

http://www.katzsneverkloses.com/
http://www.brokenspokeaustintx.com/

> 22th December, Monday Sheffield TX 317 miles
>
> 23rd December, Tuesday Carslbad, NM 210 miles
>
> Christmas Eve, Wednesday Santa Fe NM 267 miles
>
> Christmas Day, Thursday Santa Fe NM 0 miles
>
> 26th December, , Friday Gallup NM 198 miles
>
> 27th December, Saturday Flagstaff AZ 185 miles
>
> 28th December, Sunday Flagstaff & Grand Canyon 77 miles
>
> 29th December, Monday Las Vegas NV 275 miles

I'd skip Bakersfield and spend an extra day in Vegas, but that's just
me. My only vices are carousing and gambling.

> 30th December, Tuesday Bakersfield CA 286 miles
>
> New Years Eve, Wednesday San Francisco CA 288 miles
>
> New Years Day, Thursday San Francisco CA 0 miles
>
> 2nd January, Friday explore the Californian coast
>
> 3rd January, Saturday day off
>
> 4th January, Sunday San Francisco: Fly back to London
>
> Approximately 4000 miles for the trip

Hope you have lots of fun. Let me know if you have any more questions
about the Texas part of the trip. Don't forget to check happycow.net and
other sites for veg-n restaurants and healthfood markets.

http://www.happycow.net/north_america/index.html

MrFalafel

"rob tyler" > wrote in message >...
> We have now put together a rough outline of the itinerary for our drive
> across the USA from New York to San Francisco via New Orleans and Santa Fe.
> This is my first trip to the USA.
>
> We have had many useful suggestions from the newsgroup and our route and
> places to stay are rough guides as to the final journey. We would love to
> hear of any recommended towns along the route that would offer more
> interesting stopping places; and any other suggestions or comments. We are a
> bit wary now as to the weather conditions in the South West in particular.
>
> And the important question is: What should we not miss? Which features along
> the route or involving a reasonable detour would you recommend we include?
>
> From a vegan perspective: does anybody have any knowledge of vegan friendly
> hotels, B&Bs etc that we could stay at?
>
> 13th December, Saturday Fly to New York JFK drive to Philadelphia PA 106
> miles
>
> 14th December, Sunday past Washington to Roanake VA 378 miles
>
> 15th December, Monday to Knoxville TA 260 miles
>
> 16th December, Tuesday Chattanooga TA 112 miles
>
> 17th December, Wednesday Tuscaloosa AL 204 miles
>
> 18th December, Thursday New Orlreans LS 291 miles
>
> 19th December, , Friday New Orleans LS 0 miles
>
> 20th December, Saturday Beaumont TX 261 miles
>
> 21th December, Sunday Austin TX 248 miles
>
> 22th December, Monday Sheffield TX 317 miles
>
> 23rd December, Tuesday Carslbad, NM 210 miles
>
> Christmas Eve, Wednesday Santa Fe NM 267 miles
>
> Christmas Day, Thursday Santa Fe NM 0 miles
>
> 26th December, , Friday Gallup NM 198 miles
>
> 27th December, Saturday Flagstaff AZ 185 miles
>
> 28th December, Sunday Flagstaff & Grand Canyon 77 miles
>
> 29th December, Monday Las Vegas NV 275 miles
>
> 30th December, Tuesday Bakersfield CA 286 miles
>
> New Years Eve, Wednesday San Francisco CA 288 miles
>
> New Years Day, Thursday San Francisco CA 0 miles
>
> 2nd January, Friday explore the Californian coast
>
> 3rd January, Saturday day off
>
> 4th January, Sunday San Francisco: Fly back to London
>
> Approximately 4000 miles for the trip

A couple of things:

Book your hotel for San Francisco NOW. Don't wait. SF books up solid
for NYE and you may have trouble finding a rppm even now. Don't just
show up without a booking. The Abigail Hotel is directly above the
fantastic Millenium restaurant, which is possibly the best vegetarian
restaurant in the world
http://www.san.francisco.the-hotels.com/abigail.htm If that's booked,
try to stay as close to the town centre as possible.

As for hotels / B&Bs, the vast majority of hotels in the US don't have
kettles in the rooms, and most of the cheaper roadside motels don't
offer food. They'll most likely be near a diner type restaurant. Plan
on getting food from a supermarket, like fruits/nuts/breads for
breakfast in your room.

I'd recommend buying an electric kettle upon arrival in the US that
you can use for your trip. Make coffee/tea in the mornig in your hotel
or porridge. You can also try 'thermos cooking' by buying a wide mouth
thermos/flask that you can add vegetables, cooked beans, TVP and stock
cubes to and then fill with hot water and replace the cap. Do this in
the hotel room before you leave and in a few hours at lunch time
you've got hot soup/stew. This will keep you having to depend on
restaurants 100% of the time.

rob tyler

"usual suspect" > wrote in message
.. .
> Why are you going to stay in Bore-mont? You'll find a lot more to see
> and do in Houston (including some very good veg-n restaurants), which is
> only another hour and a half away. Try any of the following restaurants
> in Houston.
>
> Quan Yin, 10804 Bellaire.
> http://www.quanyinvegetarian.com/
>
> Madras Pavilion, 3910 Kirby.
>
> Tien Ren (my fave), 7549 Westheimer.
>
> > 21th December, Sunday Austin TX 248 miles

> I recommend any of the following restaurants:
> Madras Pavilion (run by the same people in Houston), 9025 Research.
>
> Mother's (more ambience than any other spot listed), 4215 Duval.
> http://motherscafe.citysearch.com/
>
> Casa de Luz (new age hang out), 1701 Toomey.
> http://www.casadeluz.org/
>
> Veggie Heaven, 1914A Guadalupe (on the Drag near UT).
> (run by the same cult who run Quan Yin in Houston)
>
> Some Austin veggie food reviews:
> http://www.austinchronicle.com/issue...food_set7.html
>
> Casa de Luz and Veggie Heaven are a little closer to Sixth Street --
> where you can stroll all night and catch some of the music scene. There
> are clubs and venues all over town; don't miss the Broken Spoke on South
> Lamar (Willie often shows up to play there when he's in town) if you get
> a chance. You could also grab a bite at the Whole Foods (they have
> tables and prepared foods) at Sixth and Lamar if you want to stay closer
> to the 6th Street action. One thing you shouldn't miss if you can stay
> up late is Katz's Deli on Sixth anytime after 2am. They have some veg-n
> food on the menu, but the people-watching experience is out of this
> world. Literally.
>
> http://www.katzsneverkloses.com/
> http://www.brokenspokeaustintx.com/
>

> Hope you have lots of fun. Let me know if you have any more questions
> about the Texas part of the trip. Don't forget to check happycow.net and
> other sites for veg-n restaurants and healthfood markets.
>
> http://www.happycow.net/north_america/index.html

Thanks suspect - excellent suggestion. I have been trying to find a decent
Vegan US site - i dont seem to be able to locate any veggy hotel sites
though: any ideas?

rob tyler

"MrFalafel" > wrote in message
om...
> "rob tyler" > wrote in message

> A couple of things:
>
> Book your hotel for San Francisco NOW. Don't wait. SF books up solid
> for NYE and you may have trouble finding a rppm even now. Don't just
> show up without a booking. The Abigail Hotel is directly above the
> fantastic Millenium restaurant, which is possibly the best vegetarian
> restaurant in the world
> http://www.san.francisco.the-hotels.com/abigail.htm If that's booked,
> try to stay as close to the town centre as possible.
>
> As for hotels / B&Bs, the vast majority of hotels in the US don't have
> kettles in the rooms, and most of the cheaper roadside motels don't
> offer food. They'll most likely be near a diner type restaurant. Plan
> on getting food from a supermarket, like fruits/nuts/breads for
> breakfast in your room.
>
> I'd recommend buying an electric kettle upon arrival in the US that
> you can use for your trip. Make coffee/tea in the mornig in your hotel
> or porridge. You can also try 'thermos cooking' by buying a wide mouth
> thermos/flask that you can add vegetables, cooked beans, TVP and stock
> cubes to and then fill with hot water and replace the cap. Do this in
> the hotel room before you leave and in a few hours at lunch time
> you've got hot soup/stew. This will keep you having to depend on
> restaurants 100% of the time.

Thanks for the advice Mr F. Especially about SF hotels . We've booked one in
Santa Fe already and will make sure that the SF is done pretty soon.

usual suspect

rob tyler wrote:
<...>
> Thanks suspect - excellent suggestion. I have been trying to find a decent
> Vegan US site - i dont seem to be able to locate any veggy hotel sites
> though: any ideas?

Hotels are going to be hit and miss as far as meals go. Most will have
buffets. You're likely to find fruit to be the only veg-n stuff
available since muffins and pancakes and waffles will contain dairy and
egg (among other goodies). You can order off the menu. You may also want
to find B&Bs along the way (see site below). A couple days advance
warning to the keeper should get you whatever kind of food you want. I
don't know what your budget is, but the B&Bs here in Austin will run
close to $100 a night. Those in the quieter neighborhoods or at Lake
Travis are worth more than that, imo. Let me know if you need anything else.

http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/

El stinky

rob tyler wrote:

> From a vegan perspective: does anybody have any knowledge of vegan
> friendly hotels, B&Bs etc that we could stay at?
>
> 13th December, Saturday Fly to New York JFK drive to Philadelphia PA
> 106 miles

south street will be your best bet for vegan food. there is an Indian place,
more fast food than fancy called LOVASH across from the Larry Fein house on
2nd and South. I think its great. i'm a big fan.

> 14th December, Sunday past Washington to Roanake VA 378 miles

dunno about Roanoke but PANDA GARDEN on Grace Street in Richmond is a MAJOR
favorite. even if we arent planning to stop in richmond we tend to time our
drives out to stop there for lunch. its that good.

> 15th December, Monday to Knoxville TA 260 miles
>
> 16th December, Tuesday Chattanooga TA 112 miles

Bless the ears off my brothers and sisters in chattanooga but they aren't a
very vegan friendly town there is a pizza place that has vegan pizza over by
the bridge on the river. you can't really miss it if you go to the river
center. other than that go to VEG OUT on english avenue. vegan up the ying
yang. perty good.

> 17th December, Wednesday Tuscaloosa AL 204 miles
>
> 18th December, Thursday New Orlreans LS 291 miles
>
> 19th December, , Friday New Orleans LS 0 miles

OLD DOGS on frenchman? i think thats the place. Also Verdi Mart might have
something for ya. go to VERDI mart just to see the best damn food in new
orleans

> 20th December, Saturday Beaumont TX 261 miles
>
> 21th December, Sunday Austin TX 248 miles

6th street has a couple places. ahhh whats the name of that bar with the
bean burgers??? head eat on 6th at red river its got a hotrod painted on the
sign... oh and taco cabana... fast food you can get decent bean burritos
there and all though texas. they seem very vegtan/veg firendly

> 22th December, Monday Sheffield TX 317 miles
>
> 23rd December, Tuesday Carslbad, NM 210 miles
>
> Christmas Eve, Wednesday Santa Fe NM 267 miles
>
> Christmas Day, Thursday Santa Fe NM 0 miles
>
> 26th December, , Friday Gallup NM 198 miles
>
> 27th December, Saturday Flagstaff AZ 185 miles
>
> 28th December, Sunday Flagstaff & Grand Canyon 77 miles

HOPE YOU LIKE TACO BELL just get bean burritos no cheese and no guacamole.
the 7 layer with no rice cheese or guamcamole is vegan.

BE VERY CAREFUL on the highway from flagstaff to las vegas. in all my
travels ( i average between 80-100,000 mils a year driving) that is one
highway i avoid. its; very dangerous. two lane road with a lot of turns and
big rigs that cross the divider. there is a robertos taco shop just south of
lake meade in the middle of nowhere. get a bean burrito there. you'll be
glad you did. dont get the rice though has chicken broth.

> 29th December, Monday Las Vegas NV 275 miles

go raw, komol and low life... and i can't remeber the indian plce on
maryland but its GOOOD

> 30th December, Tuesday Bakersfield CA 286 miles

get a bean burrito at MOLCASALSA across from the buck owens museum. its the
closest you'll get to a proper san diego style burrito.

> New Years Eve, Wednesday San Francisco CA 288 miles
>
> New Years Day, Thursday San Francisco CA 0 miles

GO NUTS Berkely and SF are the most vegan freindly places in the US. off of
9th and mission there is a place that has TOFU BURRITOS and i love it. ask
around. there ar lots of punks and hippies who will point you in the right
direction. There are some nice but expensive places on the haight as well

> 2nd January, Friday explore the Californian coast

GOOD LUCK. THE COAST IS BARREN AND EXPENSIVE this is when you eat SUBWAY or
Grocery store food... unless you stop in Santa Cruz and go downtown there
are some loverly places.

> 3rd January, Saturday day off

yeah spend the day in santa cruz

> 4th January, Sunday San Francisco: Fly back to London
>
> Approximately 4000 miles for the trip

stop at dennys resaurants and pick up the coupon guides to hotels. you can
save a lot of money with these esp on the coast of california. they are in
the lobbys of nearly every dennys and most truck stops. dont touch the food
there its disgusting. unless you like veggie burgers cooked on beef stains

--
_________________________________
Home Of The Tiltwheel

rob tyler

"El stinky" > wrote in message
> [...]

> direction. There are some nice but expensive places on the haight as well
>
> > 2nd January, Friday explore the Californian coast

> GOOD LUCK. THE COAST IS BARREN AND EXPENSIVE this is when you eat SUBWAY

or
> Grocery store food... unless you stop in Santa Cruz and go downtown there
> are some loverly places.
> >
> > 3rd January, Saturday day off
> >

> yeah spend the day in santa cruz
>

> > 4th January, Sunday San Francisco: Fly back to London
> >
> > Approximately 4000 miles for the trip

> stop at dennys resaurants and pick up the coupon guides to hotels. you can
> save a lot of money with these esp on the coast of california. they are in
> the lobbys of nearly every dennys and most truck stops. dont touch the

food
> there its disgusting. unless you like veggie burgers cooked on beef stains

Well El Stinky ( is that a reference the heavy bean burrito consumption)
thank you for a great piece of travelling experience. I'll print it off and
consume. Brilliant...
Didnt understand:
> 29th December, Monday Las Vegas NV 275 miles

go raw, komol and low life...

something lost in translation ... 'dont understand your banter old chap'
'raw'?? OK , 'komol'??, 'lowlife'??