Michel Boucher

Default Bread machine question

Is it possible to use sourdough instead of yeast while making bread in
bread machines?

--

[...] remember when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth

Monty Python's Universe Song
Rusty

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:49:30 -0600, Michel Boucher
> wrote:

>Is it possible to use sourdough instead of yeast while making bread in
>bread machines?

Sourdough requires a longer rise than commercial yeast. Most bread
machines don't have the correct timer setup to allow for this.

Rusty

Bob

Rusty wrote:

>> Is it possible to use sourdough instead of yeast while making bread in
>> bread machines?

> Sourdough requires a longer rise than commercial yeast. Most bread
> machines don't have the correct timer setup to allow for this.

Sourdough also should rise at a lower temperature than "normally" yeasted
breads; I wouldn't expect most bread machines to have a setting for that,
either.

Bob

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Michel Boucher > wrote in
:

> Is it possible to use sourdough instead of yeast while making bread in
> bread machines?

Since sourdough is just wild yeast, I'd say yes. But since your
dough/sponge would all ready be pre-made it wouldn't be much of a
time/work saver. Maybe it's the timer feature that appeals to you?

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
Bronwyn

Michel Boucher wrote:
> Is it possible to use sourdough instead of yeast while making bread

in
> bread machines?
>
> --
>
> [...] remember when you're feeling very small and insecure,
> How amazingly unlikely is your birth
> And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
> 'Cause there's bugger all down 'ere on Earth!
>
> Monty Python's Universe Song

I've just started to do some sourdough cooking this last week. Made
sourdough pancakes yesterday, light as a feather and a grand
taste...but I digress...
I checked out rec.food.sourdough for hints and there were alot of
positive posts about machine made sourdough recipes being very
successful with some tinkering.
Go have a poke around there and I am sure you'll find what you need.
I make bread by hand myself because I enjoy the exercise.
Cheers
Bronnie
Oz

Sheldon

Michel Boucher wrote:
> Is it possible to use sourdough instead of yeast while making bread

in
> bread machines?

Yes you can, but why would you want to... it'll probably work but not
nearly as well has hand made. If you want a longer rising time just
pull the plug during the first rise, then after the dough rises start
the machine again... an extra kneading and rise won't hurt and may even
make a better loaf. Assuming you have normal use of your hands why
can't you simply knead the makings for one little loaf (same amt. as an
ABM) by hand.

Sheldon

wrote:

>Is it possible to use sourdough instead of yeast while making bread in
>bread machines?

If you want predictable results,
use some sourdough sponge for "flavor"
but also add a teaspoon of yeast for a predictable rise.

<rj>