Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bread machine question

I've been googling recipes for my bread machine. I can't find the manual
for my machine. I remember how to operate the machine, but don't have bread
flour right now and have seen sites that call for bread flour and some that
call for ap flour. Does anyone have any hints on what differences there are
and can I use ap in a recipe calling for bread flour?...thanks..Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote in message
> I've been googling recipes for my bread machine. I can't find the
> manual for my machine. I remember how to operate the machine, but don't
> have bread flour right now and have seen sites that call for bread flour
> and some that call for ap flour. Does anyone have any hints on what
> differences there are and can I use ap in a recipe calling for bread
> flour?...thanks..Sharon

Bread flour absorbs more liquid than AP does. I'd use a couple tablespoons
less water to start and then look at the dough ball as it develops. If it
looks too dry, dribble a little more water into the machine until it looks
right.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/26/2010 8:50 AM, biig wrote:
> I've been googling recipes for my bread machine. I can't find the manual
> for my machine. I remember how to operate the machine, but don't have bread
> flour right now and have seen sites that call for bread flour and some that
> call for ap flour. Does anyone have any hints on what differences there are
> and can I use ap in a recipe calling for bread flour?...thanks..Sharon

Do a Google for your brand of bread machine manual, nine times out of
ten they're on the web. I've found manuals for all sorts of things I've
bought from the thrift store.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:
> I've been googling recipes for my bread machine. I can't find the manual
> for my machine. I remember how to operate the machine, but don't have bread
> flour right now and have seen sites that call for bread flour and some that
> call for ap flour. Does anyone have any hints on what differences there are
> and can I use ap in a recipe calling for bread flour?...thanks..Sharon

I don't have any trouble making that substitution. The texture of the
finished bread isn't exactly the same, but close enough.

Also, one of the keys to successful bread-machine dough, I've found, is
to check the dough after it's been kneading for a few minutes and add
flour or water if the dough looks too wet or too dry.

(My preference is to use the bread machine as a big kneading machine and
bake in the oven, as we much prefer the bread that way.)

Serene

--
"I tend to come down on the side of autonomy. Once people are grown up,
I believe they have the right to go to hell in the handbasket of their
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote in message
> I've been googling recipes for my bread machine. I can't find the
> manual for my machine. I remember how to operate the machine, but don't
> have bread flour right now and have seen sites that call for bread flour
> and some that call for ap flour. Does anyone have any hints on what
> differences there are and can I use ap in a recipe calling for bread
> flour?...thanks..Sharon

Bread flour has a higher protein level and therefore creates more or
stronger gluten which in tern creates a tougher crumb. More like bread than
cake.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote in message
> I've been googling recipes for my bread machine. I can't find the
> manual for my machine. I remember how to operate the machine, but don't
> have bread flour right now and have seen sites that call for bread flour
> and some that call for ap flour. Does anyone have any hints on what
> differences there are and can I use ap in a recipe calling for bread
> flour?...thanks..Sharon

Use recipes configured for bread maker machine, use those recipes that call
for bread flour and than, as most bread maker manulas state, adjust as need,
which means, while dough is in mix / kned mode, open lid and look at dough,
if lots of dry flour a few minutes in, add 1 TB warm water, wait a few more
minutes, add more if needed 1 TB at a time, write down you additiions to use
next time. Also, getting a scale to weigh flour is going to really help with
consistancy, I didn't believe it until I tried it. Sooo, even with a
manual, you'll still need to tweak.

--
regards, piedmont (michael)
The Practical BBQ'r - http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"piedmont" > wrote in message
> "biig" > wrote in message
>> I've been googling recipes for my bread machine. I can't find the
>> manual for my machine. I remember how to operate the machine, but don't
>> have bread flour right now and have seen sites that call for bread flour
>> and some that call for ap flour. Does anyone have any hints on what
>> differences there are and can I use ap in a recipe calling for bread
>> flour?...thanks..Sharon
>>

> Use recipes configured for bread maker machine, use those recipes that
> call for bread flour and than, as most bread maker manulas state, adjust
> as need, which means, while dough is in mix / kned mode, open lid and look
> at dough, if lots of dry flour a few minutes in, add 1 TB warm water, wait
> a few more minutes, add more if needed 1 TB at a time, write down you
> additiions to use next time. Also, getting a scale to weigh flour is going
> to really help with consistancy, I didn't believe it until I tried it.
> Sooo, even with a manual, you'll still need to tweak.
>
> --
> regards, piedmont (michael)
> The Practical BBQ'r - http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
> (mawil55) Hardiness Zone 7-8

Thanks to all for the answers. I'll make notes and give it a
try....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
j h j h is offline

Get the 800 number for the manufacturer and give them a call - I've had
success in having them mail a manual for the model. If that doesn't work
the earlier suggestion re printing a manual out is good. jh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:42:30 -0500, George Shirley wrote:

> On 4/26/2010 8:50 AM, biig wrote:
>> I've been googling recipes for my bread machine. I can't find the manual
>> for my machine. I remember how to operate the machine, but don't have bread
>> flour right now and have seen sites that call for bread flour and some that
>> call for ap flour. Does anyone have any hints on what differences there are
>> and can I use ap in a recipe calling for bread flour?...thanks..Sharon
>>

> Do a Google for your brand of bread machine manual, nine times out of
> ten they're on the web. I've found manuals for all sorts of things I've
> bought from the thrift store.

i was about to suggest that myself.

your pal,
blake