amandant

Default clam chowder

I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for clam chowder. I've
been searching for one for ages and can't seem to find one. Thanks!
Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, "Bob" > said:
> requested:
>
> > I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for clam chowder. I've
> > been searching for one for ages and can't seem to find one. Thanks!

> This recipe is allegedly what is used by Mo's, a chain of chowder
> restaurants in Oregon:
>
> MO'S CLAM CHOWDER

<snip recipe>

I've heard of Mo's, they sell their clam chowder base at my local
stupidmarket in the freezer section. I've never tried it myself, but
the recipe sounds good. Personally, I like a less thick clam chowder:

Creamy Clam Chowder

5 C. potato, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, chopped
4-5 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
1 C. cooked clam meat, minced (OR 2 cans minced clams)
¼ C. reserved clam liquid
3 T. butter or margarine
1 C. half & half
1 C. whole milk
2 tsp. salt
1 T. chopped parsley

In small saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain well, set aside.
If clams are canned, drain and set aside, saving liquid. Put potatoes
and onions in large kettle or dutch oven and barely cover with cold
water. Add salt, cover tightly and heat to boiling; reduce heat and
simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove ¾ C. of
cooking water. Mash potatoes lightly, leaving larger chunks as desired.
Add butter, half & half, and clam liquid. Reheat to scalding -- do NOT
boil! Remove from heat, add parsley.

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is
Rusty

amandant wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for clam chowder. I've
> been searching for one for ages and can't seem to find one. Thanks!

Slow and Lazy Clam Chowder

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
* 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of potato soup
* 1 (10.75 ounce) can New England clam chowder
* 2 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams
* 1 quart half-and-half cream
* 1 pint heavy whipping cream

DIRECTIONS:

1. Mix cream of celery soup, cream of potato soup, clam chowder, 1
can undrained clams, 1 can drained clams, half-and-half cream, and
whipping cream into a slow cooker.

2. Cover, and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

Rusty

Sheldon

Rusty wrote:
> amandant wrote:
> > I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for clam chowder. I've
> > been searching for one for ages and can't seem to find one.

Thanks!

> Slow and Lazy Clam Chowder
>

> INGREDIENTS:
>
> * 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
> * 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of potato soup
> * 1 (10.75 ounce) can New England clam chowder
> * 2 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams
> * 1 quart half-and-half cream
> * 1 pint heavy whipping cream
>
> DIRECTIONS:
>
> 1. Mix cream of celery soup, cream of potato soup, clam chowder, 1
> can undrained clams, 1 can drained clams, half-and-half cream, and
> whipping cream into a slow cooker.
>
> 2. Cover, and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

I mean with all fercocktah canned ingredients it's already skanky...
but does it really need to cook all friggin' day long?

Sheldon

aem

amandant wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for clam chowder. I've
> been searching for one for ages and can't seem to find one. Thanks!

Google gave me 114,000 hits when I typed in <recipe: "clam chowder">.
But since you're obviously lazy, here's one from Legal Seafoods in
Boston.

Clam Chowder from Legal Seafoods

4 quarts littleneck clams (this will yield about 1-2/3 cups cooked and
chopped)
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 cup water
2 ounces salt pork, finely chopped
2 cups chopped onions
3 tablespoons flour
1-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced into =BD-inch cubes
4-1/2 cups clam broth
3 cups fish stock
2 cups light cream
oyster crackers (optional)

Clean the clams and place them in a large pot along with the garlic and
water. Steam the clams just until opened, about 6 to 10 minutes,
depending upon their size. Drain and shell the clams, reserving the
broth. [Discard any unopened clams] Mince the clam flesh, and set
aside. Filter the clam broth either through coffee filters or
cheesecloth and set aside.

In a large heavy pot slowly render the salt pork. [If you use bacon
instead of salt pork, do not use maple or other flavored bacon]
Remove the cracklings and set them aside. Slowly cook the onions in the
fat for about 6 minutes, stirring frequently, or until cooked through
but not browned. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
Add the reserved clam broth and fish stock, and whisk to remove any
flour lumps. Bring the liquid to a boil, add the potatoes, lower the
heat, and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through, about 15
minutes.

Stir in the reserved clams, salt-pork cracklings, and light cream. Heat
the chowder until it is the temperature you prefer. Serve in large soup
bowls with oyster crackers on the side. (Serves 8)

Rusty

Sheldon wrote:

> I mean with all fercocktah canned ingredients it's already skanky...
> but does it really need to cook all friggin' day long?
>
> Sheldon

Hey Allrecipes.com called it "Quick and Easy Clam Chowder".

http://soup.allrecipes.com/az/Quicka...lamChowder.asp

I called it "Slow and Lazy". 115 people wrote that they like it.
(McDonalds
boasts Billions Served so there's no accounting for taste.)

You must have to cook it for a long time to get all of the rare essence
of essential oils and delicate herbs and spices from the canned
ingredients to release their delicate flavors. ;-)

Or you probably could just bring it to a quick boil, slosh it into a
trough
and garnish it with a couple of dead dogs. ;-)

I've made it before and its not bad. It's hard on the wrist though,
opening all of those cans.

;-)

Rusty

aem

Sheldon wrote:
> Rusty wrote:
> > amandant wrote:
> > > I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for clam chowder.
> > > I've been searching for one for ages and can't seem to find
> > > one. Thanks!

> > Slow and Lazy Clam Chowder

[snip list of canned goods]

> > DIRECTIONS:
> >
> > 1. Mix cream of celery soup, cream of potato soup, clam chowder,
> > 1 can undrained clams, 1 can drained clams, half-and-half cream,
> > and whipping cream into a slow cooker.
> >
> > 2. Cover, and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

> I mean with all fercocktah canned ingredients it's already skanky...
> but does it really need to cook all friggin' day long?

In a pot on the stove you'd bring it to a simmer, stir, and serve. In
a fercocktah slow cooker, aka crockpot, on low it probably takes 6
hours to get that much volume up to the boil. I take this recipe as a
joke, aimed both at the OP who is obviously lazy and at the perennial
slow cooker controversy. -aem

Jim Davis

I've been to Moe's and had their clam chowder and don't plan to go back
even though they are pretty close by. It wasn't bad but seemed like
just a thick cream gravy with some potatoes and clams tossed in. I
really thing I can do better.

snip

amandant wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for clam chowder. I've
> been searching for one for ages and can't seem to find one. Thanks!

There are a gazillion recipes for clam chowder, both tomato-based and
cream/milk based (usually called New England chowder). The recipe
below is easy and produces a nicely flavored chowder. From the Note
added, tho, you'll see that I add additional flavorings.

South of Boston Clam Chowder

4 dozen medium hard-shelled clams

if you don't have live clams, use canned, chopped
clams and be sure to pick up 3 to 4 bottles of
clam juice

6 cups cold water

I always substitute 3 bottles of clam juice for
water even if I'm halving recipe

1 two-inch cube salt pork, diced
1 large onion, chopped very fine
4 medium potatoes, diced (about 3/4" dice)
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 cups whole milk
1 cup light cream

Wash clams, & put in deep saucepan with the cold water and let boil
gently ten minutes, or until shells open. Strain the broth thru
cheesecloth and reserve. Remove clams from shell, clean, and chop.
Discard any not open.

Fry the salt pork in a deep saucepan. Add onion and cook slowly until
the onion just begins to turn golden brown. Add the clams and reserved
broth. Skim if necessary.

Add potatoes and season with s & p. Cook until potatoes are tender.

Remove the mixture from the heat and slowly add milk & cream which have
been heated.

NOTE: I usually add some thyme to taste. Also, add a big pat of
unsalted butter to the pot and maybe a small pat to each bowl.

If you're using canned clams figure on 1/2 can per serving. For best
flavor you should substitute about 3/4 of your water with bottled clam
juice.

If you're worried about calories/fat, substitute whole milk for the
cream. The broth is thinner but has a very good flavor. I don't
strongly recommend low fat or skim milk...but it can be done, tho then
I'd increase the quantity of potatoes.

Mac

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On 31 Mar 2005 09:41:23 -0800, "aem" > wrote:

>amandant wrote:
>> I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for clam chowder. I've
>> been searching for one for ages and can't seem to find one. Thanks!

>Google gave me 114,000 hits when I typed in <recipe: "clam chowder">.
>But since you're obviously lazy, here's one from Legal Seafoods in
>Boston.
>
> Clam Chowder from Legal Seafoods
>
>4 quarts littleneck clams (this will yield about 1-2/3 cups cooked and

That is by far the most convincing sounding recipe yet on this thread.
I would add that if you are doing clams (in chowder or soup) for two
you can zap a dozen littlenecks in a covered container. Most will open
by 3 minutes, but run another minute after you take them out to open
the rest.

Then you can rinse any clams that have dirt in them, and filter the
broth or just spoon it out carefully, leaving any grit in the
container.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

MOM CASTS TOT IN CEMENT

Most experts voice cautious optimism
Serene

amandant > wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for clam chowder. I've
> been searching for one for ages and can't seem to find one. Thanks!

I've never written down a recipe, but here's how my mom and I make it:

Saute three or four (or more) cubed, peeled potatoes and three or four
(or more) diced onions in a stick (or more) of butter until the onions
are translucent. Pour in a gallon of whole milk, plenty of salt and
LOTS of pepper, a bottle or two of clam juice, and as many cans of baby
clams as you want (or use fresh clams, but I don't bother). Heat
through, then thicken with (I may get flamed for this) cornstarch mixed
with cold water and keep warm until it's time to eat. My brother eats
it with oyster crackers, but I like it as is, plenty thick, and either
hot or cold. So so delicious.

serene
--
http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
http://www.jhuger.com
Kent

It sound like a great recipe though most don't have "fish stock" floating
about the freezer. In the SF Bay we should have ready access to fish heads
and bones. We don't like we used to.
If you're going to this much effort you should probably make a fish stew.
Even though Sheldon is going to crap, adding some chicken stock to a bottle
of clam juice
makes for a decent tasting chowder. The above recipe with three cans of soup
would yield a thick gloppy affair that wouldn't appeal to very many.
Kent

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...

amandant wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for clam chowder. I've
> been searching for one for ages and can't seem to find one. Thanks!

Google gave me 114,000 hits when I typed in <recipe: "clam chowder">.
But since you're obviously lazy, here's one from Legal Seafoods in
Boston.

Clam Chowder from Legal Seafoods

4 quarts littleneck clams (this will yield about 1-2/3 cups cooked and
chopped)
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 cup water
2 ounces salt pork, finely chopped
2 cups chopped onions
3 tablespoons flour
1-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced into ½-inch cubes
[...]

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 17:20:00 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:

>It [Legal Seafoods Chowder] sound like a great recipe though most don't have "fish stock" floating
>about the freezer. In the SF Bay we should have ready access to fish heads
>and bones. We don't like we used to.
>If you're going to this much effort you should probably make a fish stew.
>Even though Sheldon is going to crap, adding some chicken stock to a bottle
>of clam juice

Legal is a small chain of fish houses, each large enough to have its
own stock pots in continuous operation. The chain controls its supply
line very thoroughly, so I am sure they get the fish whole and have
plenty of heads.

That recipe is quite practical for such an operation. No freezer
needed.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

MOM CASTS TOT IN CEMENT

Most experts voice cautious optimism

Clam Chowder? Pertti Ström General Cooking 12 26-04-2008 01:17 PM
Clam Chowder No Name General Cooking 15 02-01-2008 04:27 PM
Clam Chowder Anna Free Recipes (moderated) 0 29-01-2006 09:51 PM
Clam Chowder Lisa Ann General Cooking 37 11-08-2005 11:03 PM
Clam Chowder [email protected] Diabetic 0 05-07-2004 08:39 PM