Default Clam Chowder

2nd portion of meal for today.

1 pound of chopped Quahog clams
1/2 pound of salt pork
4 celery stalks chopped
1 medium onion chopped
1 tsp of ground sage
1 quart of either fat free or regular cream
1 stick of unsalted butter
2-3 gratings of nutmeg
finely chopped chives or dill (optional)
2 medium sized red potatoes or Yukon type (lower glycemic registration)
cut in cubes
2 bottles of clam broth or steaming broth that has been filtered.
Chicken broth can be used in the above is not available but not
preferred.
Cut salt pork in half inch dice and sauté. When rendered out remove
meat and add celery and onion to drippings cook until translucent but
not browned.
Add cream and broth bring to a soft boil and then down to a minimum
simmer. Add potatoes of choice and simmer until crisp tender.
When those are done add the clams and cook at least ten minutes.
When that is done add 1 tablespoon of arrowroot mixed in a little water.
Simmer another five minutes.
Add sage, nutmeg, salt (if needed) and pepper and turn in butter stir
until melted.
Sprinkle on chives or dill after the soup in in the tureen or in
individual serving bowls.
Serve with cheddar crackers or oyster crackers. (I make my own as I
don't like the additives and want to control what is in them.)
I have a dietitian friend who evaluated this as 14 grams of carbs.
It is dense due to the butter but not thickened as restaurant chowders
are...except in New England where they are proper.
We indulge in the great chowder at least twice a month all year long and
don't have any problems with Bg's following it.

Clam Chowder? Pertti Ström General Cooking 12 26-04-2008 01:17 PM
Clam Chowder No Name General Cooking 15 02-01-2008 04:27 PM
Clam Chowder Anna Free Recipes (moderated) 0 29-01-2006 09:51 PM
Clam Chowder Lisa Ann General Cooking 37 11-08-2005 11:03 PM
clam chowder amandant General Cooking 14 02-04-2005 08:35 AM