Melba's Jammin'

Default Minneapolis' Wusthof knife outlet closing

They're closing at the end of April.
I've bought there and have my knives sharpened there about once a year.
I don't work for them and don't know if they'd mail something or not.
If you know what you want, though, it's worth a phone call. Nice folks!
Eversharp
340 Taft St. NE.,
Minneapolis,
612-331-6287.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-13-04.
Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
Jack B

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> They're closing at the end of April.
> I've bought there and have my knives sharpened there about once a year.
> I don't work for them and don't know if they'd mail something or not.
> If you know what you want, though, it's worth a phone call. Nice folks!
> Eversharp
> 340 Taft St. NE.,
> Minneapolis,
> 612-331-6287.

Oh, now, see... that's just hard to take.

Good guys, good inventory, good sharpening, good conversation. Ya. Been
there.

And good coffee and chocolate across Larpenteur in the guard house.
(Haven't been there for a while, though).

So, what do you think?

Where to get the cutlery sharpened now? My local TruValue has
competitive price, but... I'd really like to know/watch the person doing
the work. (These instruments are pretty important to me.)

__
Jack
Jack B

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> They're closing at the end of April.
> I've bought there and have my knives sharpened there about once a year.
> I don't work for them and don't know if they'd mail something or not.
> If you know what you want, though, it's worth a phone call. Nice folks!
> Eversharp
> 340 Taft St. NE.,
> Minneapolis,
> 612-331-6287.

Oh, now, see... that's just hard to take.

Good guys, good inventory, good sharpening, good conversation. Ya. Been
there.

And good coffee and chocolate across Larpenteur in the guard house.
(Haven't been there for a while, though).

So, what do you think?

Where to get the cutlery sharpened now? My local TruValue has
competitive price, but... I'd really like to know/watch the person doing
the work. (These instruments are pretty important to me.)

__
Jack
Richard Kaszeta

Jack B > writes:
> > Eversharp
> > 340 Taft St. NE.,
> > Minneapolis,
> > 612-331-6287.

> Oh, now, see... that's just hard to take.
>
> Good guys, good inventory, good sharpening, good conversation. Ya. Been
> there.

Dang, they used to sharpen all my knives (although none of mine are
Wusthof, all are Warren Cutlery or Forschners). Although I can easily
cope, seeing that I don't live there anymore.

> And good coffee and chocolate across Larpenteur in the guard house.
> (Haven't been there for a while, though).

Err, Hennepin there. It's not Larpenteur until it crosses 280...

Guardhouse coffee was kinda cool. I used to help out with a band that
practiced in one of the warehouse areas back there.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Richard Kaszeta

Jack B > writes:
> > Eversharp
> > 340 Taft St. NE.,
> > Minneapolis,
> > 612-331-6287.

> Oh, now, see... that's just hard to take.
>
> Good guys, good inventory, good sharpening, good conversation. Ya. Been
> there.

Dang, they used to sharpen all my knives (although none of mine are
Wusthof, all are Warren Cutlery or Forschners). Although I can easily
cope, seeing that I don't live there anymore.

> And good coffee and chocolate across Larpenteur in the guard house.
> (Haven't been there for a while, though).

Err, Hennepin there. It's not Larpenteur until it crosses 280...

Guardhouse coffee was kinda cool. I used to help out with a band that
practiced in one of the warehouse areas back there.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Jack B
> wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > They're closing at the end of April.
> > I've bought there and have my knives sharpened there about once a year.
> > I don't work for them and don't know if they'd mail something or not.
> > If you know what you want, though, it's worth a phone call. Nice
> > folks!
> > Eversharp
> > 340 Taft St. NE.,
> > Minneapolis,
> > 612-331-6287.

> Oh, now, see... that's just hard to take.
>
> Good guys, good inventory, good sharpening, good conversation. Ya. Been
> there.
>
> And good coffee and chocolate across Larpenteur in the guard house.
> (Haven't been there for a while, though).
>
> So, what do you think?

Hey, Jack. Well, I'm bummed, too, for all the reasons you state. On
the bright side, the guy who sharpens the knives told me (I was there a
week ago) that when the doors close, he's taking his sharpening gear
with him and setting up shop somewhere else -- but he didn't know where
that would be when we spoke. He said to call back near the end of April
to find out where he's going to be. That's hopeful, I think. No?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-23-04.
Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
the button to prove it!)
"The only difference between a rut and a grave is
the depth of the hole."
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Jack B
> wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > They're closing at the end of April.
> > I've bought there and have my knives sharpened there about once a year.
> > I don't work for them and don't know if they'd mail something or not.
> > If you know what you want, though, it's worth a phone call. Nice
> > folks!
> > Eversharp
> > 340 Taft St. NE.,
> > Minneapolis,
> > 612-331-6287.

> Oh, now, see... that's just hard to take.
>
> Good guys, good inventory, good sharpening, good conversation. Ya. Been
> there.
>
> And good coffee and chocolate across Larpenteur in the guard house.
> (Haven't been there for a while, though).
>
> So, what do you think?

Hey, Jack. Well, I'm bummed, too, for all the reasons you state. On
the bright side, the guy who sharpens the knives told me (I was there a
week ago) that when the doors close, he's taking his sharpening gear
with him and setting up shop somewhere else -- but he didn't know where
that would be when we spoke. He said to call back near the end of April
to find out where he's going to be. That's hopeful, I think. No?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-23-04.
Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
the button to prove it!)
"The only difference between a rut and a grave is
the depth of the hole."
Bert Hyman

In Jack B
> wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> They're closing at the end of April.
>> I've bought there and have my knives sharpened there about once a year.
>> I don't work for them and don't know if they'd mail something or not.
>> If you know what you want, though, it's worth a phone call. Nice
>> folks! Eversharp
>> 340 Taft St. NE.,
>> Minneapolis,
>> 612-331-6287.

> Oh, now, see... that's just hard to take.
>
> Good guys, good inventory, good sharpening, good conversation. Ya. Been
> there.

And the only place I've ever seen Wusthof "Swiss-Army" style pocket knives
(not that I spent a lot of time looking for them).

Black with the Wusthof trident in place of the Swiss cross.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Bert Hyman

In Jack B
> wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> They're closing at the end of April.
>> I've bought there and have my knives sharpened there about once a year.
>> I don't work for them and don't know if they'd mail something or not.
>> If you know what you want, though, it's worth a phone call. Nice
>> folks! Eversharp
>> 340 Taft St. NE.,
>> Minneapolis,
>> 612-331-6287.

> Oh, now, see... that's just hard to take.
>
> Good guys, good inventory, good sharpening, good conversation. Ya. Been
> there.

And the only place I've ever seen Wusthof "Swiss-Army" style pocket knives
(not that I spent a lot of time looking for them).

Black with the Wusthof trident in place of the Swiss cross.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:53:47 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> arranged random neurons, so they looked
like this:

>They're closing at the end of April.
>I've bought there and have my knives sharpened there about once a year.

Barb, whyinheck do you get your knives *sharpened* once a year? I've
had my Henckels for years - and a couple of Wusthofs - and have gotten
away with just straightening the blades every now and then with a
steel. They're as sharp as I need them to be, but the steel doesn't
remove much, uh, steel. I'll eventually have to have them actually
sharpened, I suppose, but not until my steel doesn't seem to do the
job anymore (as in be unable to cut paper with a swipe).

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

Terry Pulliam Burd

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:53:47 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> arranged random neurons, so they looked
like this:

>They're closing at the end of April.
>I've bought there and have my knives sharpened there about once a year.

Barb, whyinheck do you get your knives *sharpened* once a year? I've
had my Henckels for years - and a couple of Wusthofs - and have gotten
away with just straightening the blades every now and then with a
steel. They're as sharp as I need them to be, but the steel doesn't
remove much, uh, steel. I'll eventually have to have them actually
sharpened, I suppose, but not until my steel doesn't seem to do the
job anymore (as in be unable to cut paper with a swipe).

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Terry Pulliam
Burd > wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:53:47 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > arranged random neurons, so they looked
> like this:
>
> >They're closing at the end of April.
> >I've bought there and have my knives sharpened there about once a year.

> Barb, whyinheck do you get your knives *sharpened* once a year?

All those bodies I hack up? Nah, it just makes me feel virtuous in case
my steeling technique is flawed (It's not; I brought my steel with me
when I was there recently and my technique was blessed by The Man.) --
and it's a fun place to visit. I am so easily amused.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-23-04.
Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
the button to prove it!)
"The only difference between a rut and a grave is
the depth of the hole."
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Terry Pulliam
Burd > wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:53:47 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > arranged random neurons, so they looked
> like this:
>
> >They're closing at the end of April.
> >I've bought there and have my knives sharpened there about once a year.

> Barb, whyinheck do you get your knives *sharpened* once a year?

All those bodies I hack up? Nah, it just makes me feel virtuous in case
my steeling technique is flawed (It's not; I brought my steel with me
when I was there recently and my technique was blessed by The Man.) --
and it's a fun place to visit. I am so easily amused.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-23-04.
Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
the button to prove it!)
"The only difference between a rut and a grave is
the depth of the hole."
Member

Update 4/17/2012:: This post referred to Eversharp closing their location at *340* Taft Street NE in 2004 - they moved right next door to the larger location at 344 Taft Street NE.
Eversharp is as busy as ever and is delighted to sharpen your knives while you wait. Contact info:

Eversharp Knives
344 Taft Street NE
Minneapolis MN 55413
612/379-1300
866/797-0555
Wusthof Knives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melba's Jammin' View Post
They're closing at the end of April.
I've bought there and have my knives sharpened there about once a year.
I don't work for them and don't know if they'd mail something or not.
If you know what you want, though, it's worth a phone call. Nice folks!
Eversharp
340 Taft St. NE.,
Minneapolis,
612-331-6287.
--
-Barb, JamLady - eBoard updated 3-13-04.