Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Ever break the handle on a Wusthof Classic knife?

A small chunk of plastic apparently just fell off the handle of our 4.5"
4066 "Utility knife." It's about 3/8" long and came from about 1/4" above
the top rivet up to the bolster; it's a clean break.

The knife's never been in the dishwasher and never been used for anything
more than slicing vegetables, although it did have its annual sharpening
this past November at Eversharp (http://www.eversharpknives.com/).

Anybody ever have a Wusthof knife simply fall apart like that?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 03 Jan 2011 14:31:17 GMT, Bert Hyman > wrote:

>A small chunk of plastic apparently just fell off the handle of our 4.5"
>4066 "Utility knife." It's about 3/8" long and came from about 1/4" above
>the top rivet up to the bolster; it's a clean break.
>
>The knife's never been in the dishwasher and never been used for anything
>more than slicing vegetables, although it did have its annual sharpening
>this past November at Eversharp (http://www.eversharpknives.com/).
>
>Anybody ever have a Wusthof knife simply fall apart like that?

Nope. If the knife has not been abused, it should be covered by the
warranty. Take to Wusthoff dealer , per the warranty instructions.
They (W) will inspect the damage and advise you of disposition.

HTH

Alex, who owns a half-dozen (or more) W. Classics and never had a
failure.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In Chemiker
> wrote:

> On 03 Jan 2011 14:31:17 GMT, Bert Hyman > wrote:
>
>>A small chunk of plastic apparently just fell off the handle of our
>>4.5" 4066 "Utility knife." It's about 3/8" long and came from about
>>1/4" above the top rivet up to the bolster; it's a clean break.
>>
>>The knife's never been in the dishwasher and never been used for
>>anything more than slicing vegetables, although it did have its annual
>>sharpening this past November at Eversharp
>>(http://www.eversharpknives.com/).
>>
>>Anybody ever have a Wusthof knife simply fall apart like that?

> Nope. If the knife has not been abused, it should be covered by the
> warranty. Take to Wusthoff dealer , per the warranty instructions.
> They (W) will inspect the damage and advise you of disposition.

Oh, I have no doubt the warranty will cover it; I was just wondering if
anybody else has ever had anything like that happen.

We have about a dozen Wusthof "Classics" accumulated over the past 25
years and this is the very first failure of any sort.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 03 Jan 2011 16:41:27 GMT, Bert Hyman > wrote:

>In Chemiker
> wrote:
>
>> On 03 Jan 2011 14:31:17 GMT, Bert Hyman > wrote:

>Oh, I have no doubt the warranty will cover it; I was just wondering if
>anybody else has ever had anything like that happen.
>
>We have about a dozen Wusthof "Classics" accumulated over the past 25
>years and this is the very first failure of any sort.

Good luck to you. I'd be interested in finding out whether they give
you satisfactory treatment. I have a mix of Henckel, Victorinox,
Wusthoff, Kyocera and Sabatier Elephant, and have yet to have a
failure of any kind.

Alex
Member

The top rivet up to the bolster; it's a clean break.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Bert Hyman > wrote:

I have not had any trouble with my Wusthof knife, Bert.
Was Eversharp sharpening their knives for cheap? Sale? How did you
learn of the sale? I no longer get the daily paper‹I used to see the
sale announcements there.

Thanks,
Barb

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In Melba's
Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> Bert Hyman > wrote:

> I have not had any trouble with my Wusthof knife, Bert.
> Was Eversharp sharpening their knives for cheap? Sale? How did you
> learn of the sale? I no longer get the daily paper‹I used to see the
> sale announcements there.

That was the only problem we've ever had with our knives, and we've
accumulated a lot of them over the past 25 years or so. Wusthof replaced
it quickly and at no charge.

Ironically, the knife that broke was a replacement for one that simply
disappeared several years ago; we concluded that it somehow went out
with the garbage.

We've been taking the knives we use a lot to Eversharp every year during
their $1/knife sharpening event. I haven't seen any ads for it lately
either, but it's every November so I just check their Web site for the
exact dates.

http://www.eversharpknives.com/

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Hyman View Post
A small chunk of plastic apparently just fell off the handle of our 4.5"
4066 "Utility knife." It's about 3/8" long and came from about 1/4" above
the top rivet up to the bolster; it's a clean break.

The knife's never been in the dishwasher and never been used for anything
more than slicing vegetables, although it did have its annual sharpening
this past November at Eversharp (http://www.eversharpknives.com/).

Anybody ever have a Wusthof knife simply fall apart like that?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
This just happened to our Classic Suntoku knife. I'm attatching a photo...
Attached Thumbnails
Ever break the handle on a Wusthof Classic knife?-knife.jpg
Banned

Shun classic knives are said to be an elegant blend of technology with art. Shun classic knives come under Shun product line which are actually crafted and not just manufactured. The only difference in them is regarding the craftsmanship which is done.
mattresses