keely

Default Newbie question: Wusthof santoku knife.

I am posting in near-complete ignorance here, so let's get that out of
the way up front.

I received a Wusthof Grand Prix II santoku-style knife for Christmas.
I previously didn't know much of anything about knives, so I am
playing catch-up.

I understand what the hollows on the sides are for. I understand the
importance of honing. But in trying to find out how this knife should
be sharpened (I'm assuming professionally--again, total newbie here),
I have become confused by conflicting info I've found on the net.
Probably posted by people in a simliar state of ignorance. I've seen
it implied in a couple of places that this knife has some sort of
'special edge' that complicates sharpening, but I think people are
getting the 'Granton' hollows mixed up with other types of Japanese
knives that *do* have... multiplanar? edges.

The Wusthof website has only generic knife care info.

So, bottom line... Does my knife require something other than
straightforward sharpening?

Thanks in advance.

Michael Odom

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:20:32 -0500, keely > wrote:

>I am posting in near-complete ignorance here, so let's get that out of
>the way up front.
>
>I received a Wusthof Grand Prix II santoku-style knife for Christmas.
>I previously didn't know much of anything about knives, so I am
>playing catch-up.
>
>I understand what the hollows on the sides are for. I understand the
>importance of honing. But in trying to find out how this knife should
>be sharpened (I'm assuming professionally--again, total newbie here),
>I have become confused by conflicting info I've found on the net.
>Probably posted by people in a simliar state of ignorance. I've seen
>it implied in a couple of places that this knife has some sort of
>'special edge' that complicates sharpening, but I think people are
>getting the 'Granton' hollows mixed up with other types of Japanese
>knives that *do* have... multiplanar? edges.
>
>The Wusthof website has only generic knife care info.
>
>So, bottom line... Does my knife require something other than
>straightforward sharpening?
>
>Thanks in advance.

The granton hollows don't extend all the way to the edge, do they?
They should have no bearing on sharpening, as far as I can tell.

Also, regular steeling and sensible use (don't cut on a plate, e.g.)
will mean that the knife won't need sharpening all that often.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Brick

On 28-Dec-2004, Michael Odom > wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:20:32 -0500, keely > wrote:
>

> >I am posting in near-complete ignorance here, so let's get that out of
> >the way up front.
> >
> >I received a Wusthof Grand Prix II santoku-style knife for Christmas.
> >I previously didn't know much of anything about knives, so I am
> >playing catch-up.
> >
> >I understand what the hollows on the sides are for. I understand the
> >importance of honing. But in trying to find out how this knife should
> >be sharpened (I'm assuming professionally--again, total newbie here),
> >I have become confused by conflicting info I've found on the net.
> >Probably posted by people in a simliar state of ignorance. I've seen
> >it implied in a couple of places that this knife has some sort of
> >'special edge' that complicates sharpening, but I think people are
> >getting the 'Granton' hollows mixed up with other types of Japanese
> >knives that *do* have... multiplanar? edges.
> >
> >The Wusthof website has only generic knife care info.
> >
> >So, bottom line... Does my knife require something other than
> >straightforward sharpening?
> >
> >Thanks in advance.
> >

> The granton hollows don't extend all the way to the edge, do they?
> They should have no bearing on sharpening, as far as I can tell.
>
> Also, regular steeling and sensible use (don't cut on a plate, e.g.)
> will mean that the knife won't need sharpening all that often.
>

> modom

I'm glad this subject came up. Like Mike said maintenance with very
fine butcher's steel should keep the knife sharp for many, many months.
I have the Henckles version of your Wustof and mine stays sharp as
hell using an E-Z Lap 18" diamond steel. This steel is extremely fine,
removing so little metal from the knife that it's not noticable either on
the knife or on the steel. I just checked my knife though and found that
it has a dull section about an inch and a half from the tip. It looks like
somebody used it to cut on a ceramic plate or something. I will care for
that with a bench mounted oil stone.
--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

zuuum

"keely" > wrote in message

> I am posting in near-complete ignorance here, so let's get that out of
> the way up front.
>
> I received a Wusthof Grand Prix II santoku-style knife for Christmas.
> I previously didn't know much of anything about knives, so I am
> playing catch-up.
>
> I understand what the hollows on the sides are for. I understand the
> importance of honing. But in trying to find out how this knife should
> be sharpened (I'm assuming professionally--again, total newbie here),

The Granton flutes are a fraction of an inch from the cutting edge. If you
find yourself IN the Granton flutes anytime soon, you are definitely
sharpening your knife too frequently. If you dress the edge with a steel
and NOT sharpen too frequently, the Granton flutes are not going to be any
concern for years. If your knife sharpening skills are at least fair and
you DON'T over-sharpen, you will not have any probs. A professional
sharpening may be a help perhaps twice a year, unless you are using this
professionally as your primary prep knife or something. Santoku knives are
great for veg work. I find the bull-nose tip also makes it safer to leave
on a station where there is lots of action.

By the way.... great gift. I'll take another one, too. ":^)

zuuum