Bob

Default Starting to plan for Easter dinner

Damsel's post got me thinking about Easter, which I've managed to ignore
quite blissfully so far this year. Here's my tentative menu:

Artichokes with Lemon-Garlic Butter
(Riesling)

Baby Greens with Grapefruit Sections and Mirin Vinaigrette
Roasted Lamb and Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic
Green Peas with Mint and Butter
Walnut-Olive Focaccia
(Bordeaux)

Strawberry Tart

Some issues remain, and I hereby solicit opinions:

1. Rack of lamb or leg of lamb? There will be six adults eating. Cost isn't
really a consideration. Last year I made three racks of lamb for these same
guests, and that worked out well; I'd think one leg of lamb ought to
suffice.

2. My guests aren't all that big on coffee. What would you want to drink
with the strawberry tart? (We'll be eating around 3:30 PM.)

3. The strawberry tart has a layer of cream cheese and whipped cream holding
the strawberries upright within the crust. Would more whipped cream on top
be good? Would homemade ice cream be better? Or how about a dessert sauce,
and if so, WHAT dessert sauce?

4. I'm not all that sure about the Bordeaux with the main course. Any
suggestions for a different wine?

Bob

Elisa

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Damsel's post got me thinking about Easter, which I've managed to ignore
> quite blissfully so far this year. Here's my tentative menu:
>
> Artichokes with Lemon-Garlic Butter
> (Riesling)
>
> Baby Greens with Grapefruit Sections and Mirin Vinaigrette
> Roasted Lamb and Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic
> Green Peas with Mint and Butter
> Walnut-Olive Focaccia
> (Bordeaux)
>
> Strawberry Tart
>

> Some issues remain, and I hereby solicit opinions:
>
> 1. Rack of lamb or leg of lamb? There will be six adults eating. Cost
> isn't really a consideration. Last year I made three racks of lamb for
> these same guests, and that worked out well; I'd think one leg of lamb
> ought to suffice.
>
> 2. My guests aren't all that big on coffee. What would you want to drink
> with the strawberry tart? (We'll be eating around 3:30 PM.)
>
> 3. The strawberry tart has a layer of cream cheese and whipped cream
> holding the strawberries upright within the crust. Would more whipped
> cream on top be good? Would homemade ice cream be better? Or how about a
> dessert sauce, and if so, WHAT dessert sauce?
>
> 4. I'm not all that sure about the Bordeaux with the main course. Any
> suggestions for a different wine?
>
> Bob

Can I come?

Elisa (it all sounds so wonderful!)

Bob

Replying to myself:

> The strawberry tart has a layer of cream cheese and whipped cream holding
> the strawberries upright within the crust. Would more whipped cream on top
> be good? Would homemade ice cream be better? Or how about a dessert sauce,
> and if so, WHAT dessert sauce?

Several years ago, I got some Doctor Bob's ice cream for my girlfriend. One
of the flavors was strawberries with sour cream and brown sugar, and she
really liked it. I'm considering just dissolving brown sugar in creme
fraiche and putting it on the tart. Maybe whip it a little first.

Bob

>2. My guests aren't all that big on coffee. What would you want to
drink
>with the strawberry tart? (We'll be eating around 3:30 PM.)

Tea, or perhaps a late harvest wine ?

>4. I'm not all that sure about the Bordeaux with the main course. Any
>suggestions for a different wine?

There are many good options. I like red Rhone's, Shiraz, and Barbera
with lamb. YMMV. If cost is truely not a consideration, perhaps an
Hermitage or a Barbaresco ? All of these should stand up well against
the rosemary and lamb.

But enough about the wine, tell me more about the Focaccia. It sounds
delicious.

Dean G.

Bob wrote:
> Damsel's post got me thinking about Easter, which I've managed to

ignore
> quite blissfully so far this year. Here's my tentative menu:
>
> Artichokes with Lemon-Garlic Butter
> (Riesling)
>
> Baby Greens with Grapefruit Sections and Mirin Vinaigrette
> Roasted Lamb and Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic
> Green Peas with Mint and Butter
> Walnut-Olive Focaccia
> (Bordeaux)
>
> Strawberry Tart
>

> Some issues remain, and I hereby solicit opinions:
>
> 1. Rack of lamb or leg of lamb? There will be six adults eating. Cost

isn't
> really a consideration. Last year I made three racks of lamb for

these same
> guests, and that worked out well; I'd think one leg of lamb ought to
> suffice.

My vote...rack of lamb, flavor and what is always the delicious
topping. And I suspect that rack of lamb is more of a treat to some
than leg of lamb.

> 2. My guests aren't all that big on coffee. What would you want to

drink
> with the strawberry tart? (We'll be eating around 3:30 PM.)

A sweet champagne or a nice Sauternes?

4. I'm not all that sure about the Bordeaux with the main course. Any
> suggestions for a different wine?

A good French burgundy, a Chambertin?

Your menu sounds delicious. Lucky guests.

Mac

Dimitri

"Bob" > wrote in message

<Menu Snipped>

> 4. I'm not all that sure about the Bordeaux with the main course. Any
> suggestions for a different wine?
>
> Bob

The movie Sideways has made the Southern California Pinot Noir's extremely
popular at this point. It's a nice wine and probably a better value than a
French Bordeaux. As far as wines are concerned there is only one piece of
advise I can offer with certainty. "But what you can afford" wine is an
area where price can a big difference.

See more he http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4484982

Dimitri

Damsel in dis Dress

"Bob" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>Several years ago, I got some Doctor Bob's ice cream for my girlfriend. One
>of the flavors was strawberries with sour cream and brown sugar, and she
>really liked it. I'm considering just dissolving brown sugar in creme
>fraiche and putting it on the tart. Maybe whip it a little first.

Do it! Sour cream and brown sugar form a magical flavor. I've only had it
on seedless green grapes. In our case, we coat the grapes with sour cream,
then sprinkle brown sugar on top. Presentation and all that jazz.

Never thought about strawberries. See what you do to me, Bob? Your dinner
sounds outstanding!

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

Crash and I have, in our possession, a whole ham. Well, it was on sale!

Easter dinner, like most of our holiday dinners, will be quite informal,
and we won't have any frou-frou food, but we'll walk away happy (in sweat
pants that stretch along with our stomachs. <G>

Here's our tacky little menu:

Ham

Betty Crocker's Au Gratin Potatoes (I just plain don't care for the real
deal, but I love Betty's).

Crash would be happy if it stopped right there. But, I'll probably put
together some green beans, too (recipe follows).

The closest we might come to dessert would be Watergate Salad (I'll post
that recipe, too).

* Exported from MasterCook *

Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Lemon

Recipe By :Gourmet Magazine
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : nuts side dishes
vegetables

1 1/2 pounds green beans -- trimmed
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest -- freshly grated
1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts -- chopped fine

In a kettle of boiling salted water cook beans until just tender, 3 to 8
minutes. Drain beans in a colander and in a large bowl toss while still hot
with oil, zest, nuts, and salt and pepper to taste. Beans may be made 1 day
ahead and chilled, covered. Reheat beans, preferably in a microwave.

Source:
"http://www.epicurious.com/"
Copyright:
"November 1995"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 46 Calories (kcal); 3g Total Fat; (46% calories from fat); 1g
Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 5mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2
Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

* Exported from MasterCook *

Watergate Salad

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories : comfort foods desserts
salads/dressings

1 package instant pistachio pudding mix -- 4 serving size
20 ounces crushed pineapple in juice
1/3 cup maraschino cherries -- quartered
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1 3/4 cups Cool Whip -- thawed

Stir pudding mix, pineapple with juice, marshmallows and nuts in large bowl
until well blended. Gently stir in whipped topping.

Refrigerate 1 hour or until ready to serve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 101 Calories (kcal); 3g Total Fat; (28% calories from fat); 1g
Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 8mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1/2
Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

Priscilla H. Ballou

Bob wrote:

> Damsel's post got me thinking about Easter, which I've managed to ignore
> quite blissfully so far this year. Here's my tentative menu:
>
> Artichokes with Lemon-Garlic Butter
> (Riesling)
>
> Baby Greens with Grapefruit Sections and Mirin Vinaigrette
> Roasted Lamb and Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic
> Green Peas with Mint and Butter

Explique, s'il vous plait, about the mint in the peas. Minced fresh
mint? I feel inspiration descending upon me.

> Walnut-Olive Focaccia
> (Bordeaux)
>
> Strawberry Tart
>
> Some issues remain, and I hereby solicit opinions:
>
> 1. Rack of lamb or leg of lamb? There will be six adults eating. Cost isn't
> really a consideration. Last year I made three racks of lamb for these same
> guests, and that worked out well; I'd think one leg of lamb ought to
> suffice.

I definitely prefer leg to rack, but then I have decidedly plebian tastes.

> 2. My guests aren't all that big on coffee. What would you want to drink
> with the strawberry tart? (We'll be eating around 3:30 PM.)

Personally, I'd go with a good tea or some very sparkling water, but
then I don't drink booze or coffee.

Priscilla
Bob

Dean wrote:

> But enough about the wine, tell me more about the Focaccia. It sounds
> delicious.

There's not really much to tell: I follow the focaccia recipe in _Baking
With Julia_, but add some seeded olives, some olive paste (made by seeding
olives and either squashing them in a mortar or whirring them in a
mini-chopper), some walnut pieces, and I substitute walnut oil for a third
of the olive oil. I use whatever black olives appeal to me at the time.

As far as I know, it's my own invention.

Bob

Bob

Priscilla wrote:

> Explique, s'il vous plait, about the mint in the peas. Minced fresh
> mint? I feel inspiration descending upon me.

This is the only "repeat" menu item from last year, back by overwhelming
popular demand. You cook green peas in water which has been seasoned with
salt and sugar. When they're done cooking, you drain them and toss with
butter and mint chiffonade. (To make chiffonade, you roll the leaves
lengthwise and then cut the resulting cylinders into thin slices. You get
little leaf-shreds that way.)

It sounds a little weird, but it was wonderful, especially as an
accompaniment to lamb.

Bob

aem

Bob wrote:
[snip]>
> 4. I'm not all that sure about the Bordeaux with the main course. Any

> suggestions for a different wine?

How about a spicy zinfandel with the (leg of) lamb?

And homemade ice cream is always better than just about anything...

-aem

Bob

Priscilla wrote:

>> My guests aren't all that big on coffee. What would you want to drink
>> with the strawberry tart? (We'll be eating around 3:30 PM.)

> Personally, I'd go with a good tea or some very sparkling water, but
> then I don't drink booze or coffee.

I had iced jasmine tea last year, and that's also an option this year. But
my tea inventory has expanded tremendously in the last year, and I've got
four strong contenders from the Republic of Tea: "Dragon Spirit Tea," which
is flavored with herbs and blackberries; "Orange Blossom White Tea," which
does *not* smell strongly of orange blossoms, but is quite fragrant and
sweet-smelling; "Wild Berry Plum Green Tea," and "Ginger Peach Longevity
Tea," both of which are fairly self-explanatory. I've also got a box of
litchi tea. My concern in making any of those is that my guests like their
tea VERY sweet, and if I choose too delicate a flavor, it'll get lost in the
sugarstorm. I've also got a lot of the Torani syrups which could be added
to plain tea (or sparkling water), although I'm unsure as to whether any of
them would complement a strawberry tart well. The likeliest of them are the
lemon, macadamia, tamarind, or passionfruit syrups, but I remain undecided.

Bob

Jean B.

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Do it! Sour cream and brown sugar form a magical flavor. I've only had it
> on seedless green grapes. In our case, we coat the grapes with sour cream,
> then sprinkle brown sugar on top. Presentation and all that jazz.
>
> Never thought about strawberries. See what you do to me, Bob? Your dinner
> sounds outstanding!
>
> Carol

Blue Strawbery (I think that's how they spelled it), a nice
restaurant in NH, which has been defunct for many years AFAIK, had
a signature dessert of strawberries, which you dipped into sour
cream and then brown sugar. Very yummy. Of course, you have to
be able to get strawberries that tastes like something other than
cardboard.
--
Jean B.
Ranee Mueller

In article >, "Bob"
> wrote:

> Baby Greens with Grapefruit Sections and Mirin Vinaigrette
> Roasted Lamb and Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic
> Green Peas with Mint and Butter
> Walnut-Olive Focaccia
> (Bordeaux)
>
> Strawberry Tart
>

> Some issues remain, and I hereby solicit opinions:
>
> 1. Rack of lamb or leg of lamb? There will be six adults eating. Cost
> isn't really a consideration. Last year I made three racks of lamb
> for these same guests, and that worked out well; I'd think one leg of
> lamb ought to suffice.

Leg of lamb, absolutely.

> 2. My guests aren't all that big on coffee. What would you want to drink
> with the strawberry tart? (We'll be eating around 3:30 PM.)

Lemondade.

> 3. The strawberry tart has a layer of cream cheese and whipped cream
> holding the strawberries upright within the crust. Would more whipped
> cream on top be good? Would homemade ice cream be better? Or how
> about a dessert sauce, and if so, WHAT dessert sauce?

Whipped cream, a bit lighter and softer in the mouth.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Ranee Mueller

In article >, "Bob"
> wrote:

> "Ginger Peach Longevity Tea," both of which are fairly
> self-explanatory. I've also got a box of litchi tea. My concern in
> making any of those is that my guests like their tea VERY sweet, and
> if I choose too delicate a flavor, it'll get lost in the sugarstorm.

I drink the ginger peach tea quite a bit, and I like my tea sweet.
It isn't lost in the sweetness, mostly because it is based in a black
tea, I think.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Bob"
> wrote:

> Damsel's post got me thinking about Easter, which I've managed to ignore
> quite blissfully so far this year. Here's my tentative menu:
>
> Artichokes with Lemon-Garlic Butter
> (Riesling)
>
> Baby Greens with Grapefruit Sections and Mirin Vinaigrette
> Roasted Lamb and Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic
> Green Peas with Mint and Butter
> Walnut-Olive Focaccia
> (Bordeaux)
>
> Strawberry Tart
>

> Some issues remain, and I hereby solicit opinions:
>
> 1. Rack of lamb or leg of lamb? There will be six adults eating. Cost
> isn't really a consideration. Last year I made three racks of lamb
> for these same guests, and that worked out well; I'd think one leg of
> lamb ought to suffice.

Easy for you to say. I'll bet the lamb would like to have four!

> 2. My guests aren't all that big on coffee. What would you want to
> drink with the strawberry tart? (We'll be eating around 3:30 PM.)

Champagne. Or coffee. Maybe some Kool-Aid.

> 3. The strawberry tart has a layer of cream cheese and whipped cream
> holding the strawberries upright within the crust. Would more whipped
> cream on top be good?

Death By Whipped Cream. Not necessarily a bad thing, but how about some
kind of light glaze instead, for that glistening sparkle we do so love.

> Would homemade ice cream be better?

That's just whipping cream in another form.

> Or how about a dessert sauce, and if so, WHAT dessert sauce?

Yer gilding the lily again, Bob. Let the delectable strawberries (they
will be delectable, will they not?) stand on their own.

> 4. I'm not all that sure about the Bordeaux with the main course. Any
> suggestions for a different wine?

Thunderbird.

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
Damsel in dis Dress

Melba's Jammin' >, if that's their real name,

wrote:

>> Here's our tacky little menu:
>>
>> Ham
>>
>> Betty Crocker's Au Gratin Potatoes (I just plain don't care for the real
>> deal, but I love Betty's).

>I can't believe it. Especially after seeing the Green Bean thang below.
>I'll accept the Watergate Thing because you're a fellow Meen-a-soh-tan.
>You're a good cook. My Sister Julie is a lousy cook. She'd do
>something like that (the BC dreck). MOF, she HAS. Regularly and
>holidayily. Gack.

I've had real au gratin potatoes at restaurants, and have made my own. I
just don't like 'em. I suppose it's a matter of preferring your first
exposure to a dish. Even if it *is* dreck. We both love them, but only
have them once or twice a year.

If we were having some classy people over for dinner, I would probably make
the Parmesan-Prosciutto Mashed Potatoes instead (recipe below).

Thanks for saying I'm a good cook. The check is in the mail. (I haven't
seen your cherry preserves/jam/jelly/whatever in the stores down here. Is
it being distributed yet?)

http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=15638

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mashed Potatoes with Prosciutto and Parmesan Cheese

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : potatoes side dishes

1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes -- peeled and cubed
3 cloves garlic -- peeled
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 ounces prosciutto -- thinly sliced, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 cup skim milk -- or more if needed
1/2 cup parmesan cheese -- freshly grated
freshly ground black pepper -- to taste
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

1. Cook potatoes and garlic in large pot of boiling water until potatoes
are very tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; return potatoes and garlic to
same pot.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in heavy small saucepan over medium heat. Add
chopped prosciutto and thyme and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
3. Add prosciutto mixture and 3/4 cup milk to potatoes and garlic. Mash
well, adding more milk by tablespoonfuls if potatoes are dry. Mix in 1/2
cup cheese. Season with pepper. (Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Cover and
chill. Stir over low heat to rewarm, adding more milk by tablespoonfuls, if
desired.) Transfer potatoes to bowl. Sprinkle lightly with 2 tablespoons
cheese; serve.

Cuisine:
"Italian"
Source:
"Adapted from Bon Appétit"
Yield:
"4 cups"

aem

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
[snip]
> Betty Crocker's Au Gratin Potatoes (I just plain don't care for the

real
> deal, but I love Betty's).

[snips]

How about just scalloped potatoes, without the cheese(s)? Oddly
enough, the best recipe I've tried for them came from the little tag on
the top of a can of Carnation evaporated milk. Not much work, no
surprises, but very tasty and they go great with ham.

-aem

Damsel in dis Dress

"aem" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>How about just scalloped potatoes, without the cheese(s)? Oddly
>enough, the best recipe I've tried for them came from the little tag on
>the top of a can of Carnation evaporated milk. Not much work, no
>surprises, but very tasty and they go great with ham.

I'm not an accomplished scalloped potato cook. I would love to try your
recipe, if you'd be willing to share it.

Carol

aem

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> I'm not an accomplished scalloped potato cook. I would love to try
> you recipe, if you'd be willing to share it.

Since you smile so nicely I will try to read the tiny type from this
Carnation evaporated milk tag:

2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (I use 4 large, or 6 medium
russets)
3 TB butter
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 TB all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 can (12 fluid oz.) evaporated milk
1 cup water
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese.

Preheat oven to 350=B0F. Grease 11"x7" baking dish (I don't grease it)

Cover potatoes with cold water, bring to boil, cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
Drain.

Cook onion in butter for 2 or 3 minutes until tender, stir in flour,
salt and pepper. Gradually stir in milk and water, bring just to boil,
then remove from heat. Arrange potatoes in dish, pour onion-milk
mixture over. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake until potatoes are tender,
about 30 minutes.

The only possibility for trouble that I've noticed is that if you cook
the flour too long it will lose some of its thickening power, just as
it does for a roux. So if you know you're going to cook it longer,
start with more.

-aem

Damsel in dis Dress

wrote:
>(snippage)
>
>> (I haven't seen your cherry preserves/jam/jelly/whatever in the
>> stores down here. Is it being distributed yet?)

>YES!!! Rather recently, finally! All the Cub stores around here I've
>checked (Burnsville, Bloomington) have the Cherry jam and the
>Strawberry-Rhubarb jam (someone else's). I haven't seen the Blueberry
>or the Sweet Orange Marmalade, though. Thanks for asking.

Great! I'll scour the town looking for it. All of the flavors sound
wonderful. I don't know why I keep buying jelly and stuff. I almost never
eat it. But I love it. Odd.

>BTW, where's the Polish sausage on your menu?

Um, I forgot it? Yeah, that's it. I forgot it. I also forgot the pickled
herring. Damn!

>I'm expecting an invite out for March 27 Easter -- folks bring stuff.
>I'm thinking that I'll bring a mess of Kramarczuk's Polish sausage. And
>maybe a hrutka to taste, too.

What's a hrutka? Are they legal in this state?

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

"aem" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>> I'm not an accomplished scalloped potato cook. I would love to try
>> you recipe, if you'd be willing to share it.
>>

>Since you smile so nicely I will try to read the tiny type from this
>Carnation evaporated milk tag:

Thank you so much! I know how it is to try to read small print.

> 2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (I use 4 large, or 6 medium
>russets)
> 3 TB butter
> 1/4 cup chopped onion
> 3 TB all purpose flour
> 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. black pepper
> 1 can (12 fluid oz.) evaporated milk
> 1 cup water
> 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
>
>Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 11"x7" baking dish (I don't grease it)
>
>Cover potatoes with cold water, bring to boil, cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
> Drain.
>
>Cook onion in butter for 2 or 3 minutes until tender, stir in flour,
>salt and pepper. Gradually stir in milk and water, bring just to boil,
>then remove from heat. Arrange potatoes in dish, pour onion-milk
>mixture over. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake until potatoes are tender,
>about 30 minutes.
>
>The only possibility for trouble that I've noticed is that if you cook
>the flour too long it will lose some of its thickening power, just as
>it does for a roux. So if you know you're going to cook it longer,
>start with more.

Now, if you lose the little tag, the recipe will be waiting for you in
Google. I can't tell you how relieved I was that I had posted nearly every
one of my recipes during late night sessions over the years. I'm gradually
remembering them and looking them up.

Thanks,
Carol

Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
"Bob" > wrote:

> Priscilla wrote:
>
> >> My guests aren't all that big on coffee. What would you want to drink
> >> with the strawberry tart? (We'll be eating around 3:30 PM.)

> > Personally, I'd go with a good tea or some very sparkling water, but
> > then I don't drink booze or coffee.

> I had iced jasmine tea last year, and that's also an option this year. But
> my tea inventory has expanded tremendously in the last year, and I've got
> four strong contenders from the Republic of Tea: "Dragon Spirit Tea," which
> is flavored with herbs and blackberries; "Orange Blossom White Tea," which
> does *not* smell strongly of orange blossoms, but is quite fragrant and
> sweet-smelling; "Wild Berry Plum Green Tea," and "Ginger Peach Longevity
> Tea," both of which are fairly self-explanatory. I've also got a box of
> litchi tea. My concern in making any of those is that my guests like their
> tea VERY sweet, and if I choose too delicate a flavor, it'll get lost in the
> sugarstorm. I've also got a lot of the Torani syrups which could be added
> to plain tea (or sparkling water), although I'm unsure as to whether any of
> them would complement a strawberry tart well. The likeliest of them are the
> lemon, macadamia, tamarind, or passionfruit syrups, but I remain undecided.

Personally I'd go for an unflavored tea, since I think tea has a lot of
its own flavor. I do like the idea of iced jasmine tea, but since snow
is due here again tonight it was hot tea that popped into my mind first.
;-)

Priscilla
--
"And what's this crap about Sodomites? It's always Sodomites this and
Sodomites that. What about us Gomorrahians? We were there too; we
Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
"Bob" > wrote:

> Priscilla wrote:
>
> > Explique, s'il vous plait, about the mint in the peas. Minced fresh
> > mint? I feel inspiration descending upon me.

> This is the only "repeat" menu item from last year, back by overwhelming
> popular demand. You cook green peas in water which has been seasoned with
> salt and sugar. When they're done cooking, you drain them and toss with
> butter and mint chiffonade. (To make chiffonade, you roll the leaves
> lengthwise and then cut the resulting cylinders into thin slices. You get
> little leaf-shreds that way.)
>
> It sounds a little weird, but it was wonderful, especially as an
> accompaniment to lamb.

I'm familiar with chiffonade, and I think I'm going to tuck this away in
my little brain until one can get fresh peas around here. (I always put
a little sugar in the water in which I cook peas.)

This must be heavenly with lamb.

Priscilla
--
"And what's this crap about Sodomites? It's always Sodomites this and
Sodomites that. What about us Gomorrahians? We were there too; we
deserve some mention. Sodom always gets the credit, and Gomorrah always
does the work." - JohnN in alt.religion.christian.episcopal
Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> "aem" >, if that's their real name, wrote:
>
> >How about just scalloped potatoes, without the cheese(s)? Oddly
> >enough, the best recipe I've tried for them came from the little tag on
> >the top of a can of Carnation evaporated milk. Not much work, no
> >surprises, but very tasty and they go great with ham.

> I'm not an accomplished scalloped potato cook. I would love to try your
> recipe, if you'd be willing to share it.

I'll jump in with how my mother taught me to make scalloped potatoes.
Scrub a bunch taters (leave skins on) and pare out the bad spots. I
like Yukon Golds or something like that with a nice flavor. Slice them.
Layer them in a buttered casserole. Between each set of layers
generously dot butter, sprinkle white flour, season w/s&p. When it's
all assembled, heat up enough milk/cream to cover and pour over the
whole. Bake at 350 until the potatoes are fork tender. The top should
be nice and brown. WARNING! This always boils over for me, so put a
cookie sheet on the rack below the rack on which the casserole is placed.

Hope this helps.

Priscilla
--
"And what's this crap about Sodomites? It's always Sodomites this and
Sodomites that. What about us Gomorrahians? We were there too; we
deserve some mention. Sodom always gets the credit, and Gomorrah always
does the work." - JohnN in alt.religion.christian.episcopal
Damsel in dis Dress

Priscilla Ballou >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>I'll jump in with how my mother taught me to make scalloped potatoes.
>Scrub a bunch taters (leave skins on) and pare out the bad spots. I
>like Yukon Golds or something like that with a nice flavor. Slice them.
>Layer them in a buttered casserole. Between each set of layers
>generously dot butter, sprinkle white flour, season w/s&p. When it's
>all assembled, heat up enough milk/cream to cover and pour over the
>whole. Bake at 350 until the potatoes are fork tender. The top should
>be nice and brown. WARNING! This always boils over for me, so put a
>cookie sheet on the rack below the rack on which the casserole is placed.

This is how my mom made them, too. I've tried and tried to make them this
way, but my best results have come from making white sauce and pouring that
over the layers.

This whole potato conversation is a little odd. I'm diabetic, and they are
SO carby, plus I have a food sensitivity to them. I have no business
eating this stuff! But scalloped potatoes are a wonderful way to deal with
leftover ham, and we're going to have a LOT of that. Ham fried rice and
ham/potato hash are also in the picture. Sigh

Thanks so much, Priscilla.

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

>Priscilla Ballou >, if that's their real name, wrote:
>
>>I'll jump in with how my mother taught me to make scalloped potatoes.

>This is how my mom made them, too. I've tried and tried to make them this
>way, but my best results have come from making white sauce and pouring that
>over the layers.

I forgot to mention what the problem has been when I've made them with dry
flour. I get sections of paste instead of a nice, creamy white sauce.
Sorry for not being complete.

Carol

Hahabogus

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
> >Priscilla Ballou >, if that's their real name,
> >wrote:
> >
> >>I'll jump in with how my mother taught me to make scalloped
> >>potatoes.

> >This is how my mom made them, too. I've tried and tried to make
> >them this way, but my best results have come from making white
> >sauce and pouring that over the layers.

> I forgot to mention what the problem has been when I've made them
> with dry flour. I get sections of paste instead of a nice, creamy
> white sauce. Sorry for not being complete.
>
> Carol

I do the flourless scalloped spuds.

wash and thin slice your spuds (not peeled)...a layer of spuds in a
buttered casserole pan then a light layer/sprinkling of onions,parm
cheese, tarragon, black ground pepper and minced garlic...do the spud
again and the onion etc...at least 3 times ending in spuds...pour enough
1/2 and 1/2 to come about 2/3 of the way up the casserole sides and bake
for about 1.5 hours at 375F or till nicely browned on top.

a little shredded cheddar on top doesn't hurt.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
ms. tonya

Date: Thu, Feb 24, 2005, 6:55am (Bob)
WROTE:
[...]
RESPONSE: This year thinking about item not usually served on easter in
this home, turkey, as I didn't bake one on thanksgiving and tired of ham
every year.
Home Depot has an indoor counter top turkey deep fryer might give it a
try.
Still thinking about sides for that day but will have the traditional
hot cross buns & challah bread from local jewish bakery.
Dessert might be lamb cake using my new martha stewart lamb stand up
mold.

Damsel in dis Dress

Hahabogus >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>wash and thin slice your spuds (not peeled)...a layer of spuds in a
>buttered casserole pan then a light layer/sprinkling of onions,parm
>cheese, tarragon, black ground pepper and minced garlic...do the spud
>again and the onion etc...at least 3 times ending in spuds...pour enough
>1/2 and 1/2 to come about 2/3 of the way up the casserole sides and bake
>for about 1.5 hours at 375F or till nicely browned on top.
>
>a little shredded cheddar on top doesn't hurt.

OMG! Those sound incredible! I wish Crash was still lying to me about
liking tarragon. His confession that he doesn't really like it and just
didn't want to hurt my feelings has really cramped my style.

Thanks,
Carol

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' >, if that's their real name,
> wrote:
> >I'm expecting an invite out for March 27 Easter -- folks bring stuff.
> >I'm thinking that I'll bring a mess of Kramarczuk's Polish sausage. And
> >maybe a hrutka to taste, too.

> What's a hrutka? Are they legal in this state?
>
> Carol

<g> Hrutka is a Rusin (that's nota typo of Russian) Easter dish. An
"egg cheese" ball. I first posted about it maybe 7-9 years ago.

Think cold compressed scrambled eggs -- or maybe overcooked custard,
because that's what it is -- nothing more than eggs and milk, with a bit
of salt included. The egg and milk mixture is cooked to a
fare-thee-well in a saucepot, until there's a drastic separation of the
cooked egg "curds" and whey.

The mixture is poured into a cheesecloth and rounded into a ball, then
hung to drain. When cold, it's sliced for serving and is an extremely
fine addition to an Easter ham sandwich between slices of paska - the
rich Easter bread of my heritage. It's probably an acquired taste, and
it's rather bland, and certainly eggy tasting. And delicious. It's
easy to make a small one by halving, thirding, or quartering the recipe.
One-third would make a rather smallish one; one fourth might be pushing
it.

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Hrutka

Recipe By : Barb Schaller, posted to rec.food.cooking 2/24/05
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Slovensky Recepty

12 eggs
1 quart whole milk
1/2 tsp. salt

Beat eggs and milk thoroughly and cook over medium heat until eggs
coagulate and separate from the liquid -- the liquid will be almost
clear. Takes maybe 20 minutes or so to cook. Pour through three or
four layers of cheesecloth, round into a ball with the cloth, tie tight
and hang to drain.

Julie used to hang hers on the clothes line; Mom always hung it from the
counter to drip into a container below.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 249 Calories; 15g Fat (57% calories from fat); 18g Protein;
9g Carbohydrate; 453mg Cholesterol; 206mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 3 1/2 Fat
_____

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Hrutka - microwave

Recipe By : posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 2-24-05
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Slovensky Recepty

12 eggs
1 quart whole milk
salt

Beat ingredients together and place in large microwaveable glass bowl.
Cook on high for about 15 minutes, stirring 3 or 4 times. Reduce power
to medium and cook about 7 minutes more, until curds separate from
liquid.

Pour through cheesecloth, round into ball, and hang to drain.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per serving: 1494 Calories; 93g Fat (57% calories from fat); 107g
Protein; 53g Carbohydrate; 2719mg Cholesterol; 1234mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 11 Lean Meat; 9 Non-Fat Milk; 20 1/2 Fat

_____
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
Hahabogus

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> Hahabogus >, if that's their real name, wrote:
>
> >wash and thin slice your spuds (not peeled)...a layer of spuds in a
> >buttered casserole pan then a light layer/sprinkling of onions,parm
> >cheese, tarragon, black ground pepper and minced garlic...do the
> >spud again and the onion etc...at least 3 times ending in
> >spuds...pour enough 1/2 and 1/2 to come about 2/3 of the way up the
> >casserole sides and bake for about 1.5 hours at 375F or till nicely
> >browned on top.
> >
> >a little shredded cheddar on top doesn't hurt.

> OMG! Those sound incredible! I wish Crash was still lying to me
> about liking tarragon. His confession that he doesn't really like
> it and just didn't want to hurt my feelings has really cramped my
> style.
>
> Thanks,
> Carol

So replace or remove the teragon.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 24 Feb 2005 09:31:39p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> <g> Hrutka is a Rusin (that's nota typo of Russian) Easter dish. An
> "egg cheese" ball. I first posted about it maybe 7-9 years ago.

A friend's mother used to make Hrutka every year. I watched her prepare it
numerous times and it was just as you described. I confess, I never acquired
a taste for it, but it's still a very interesting food.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Bob

Barb wrote:

>> I'd think one leg of lamb ought to suffice.

> Easy for you to say. I'll bet the lamb would like to have four!

LOL!

Reminds me of the joke that ends with, "A pig that good you don't eat all at
once."

>> 3. The strawberry tart has a layer of cream cheese and whipped cream
>> holding the strawberries upright within the crust. Would more whipped
>> cream on top be good?

> Death By Whipped Cream. Not necessarily a bad thing, but how about some
> kind of light glaze instead, for that glistening sparkle we do so love.

Tried it with the glaze last year. (I used melted red currant jelly.) Not
only is it a royal pain to make the glaze look good, but the taste testers
didn't think it added anything to the tart.

Bob

Priscilla H. Ballou

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Priscilla Ballou >, if that's their real name, wrote:
>
> >I'll jump in with how my mother taught me to make scalloped potatoes.
> >Scrub a bunch taters (leave skins on) and pare out the bad spots. I
> >like Yukon Golds or something like that with a nice flavor. Slice them.
> >Layer them in a buttered casserole. Between each set of layers
> >generously dot butter, sprinkle white flour, season w/s&p. When it's
> >all assembled, heat up enough milk/cream to cover and pour over the
> >whole. Bake at 350 until the potatoes are fork tender. The top should
> >be nice and brown. WARNING! This always boils over for me, so put a
> >cookie sheet on the rack below the rack on which the casserole is placed.

> This is how my mom made them, too. I've tried and tried to make them this
> way, but my best results have come from making white sauce and pouring that
> over the layers.

Not enough flour between the layers?

> This whole potato conversation is a little odd. I'm diabetic, and they are
> SO carby, plus I have a food sensitivity to them. I have no business
> eating this stuff! But scalloped potatoes are a wonderful way to deal with
> leftover ham, and we're going to have a LOT of that. Ham fried rice and
> ham/potato hash are also in the picture. Sigh
>
> Thanks so much, Priscilla.

If you chunk the ham and toss it between the layers of the potatoes
along with some chunks of cheddar, you up the fat and slow the spike.
Maybe not enough, but some. ;-)

I've been getting into baked potato skins. I bake a small Idaho, cut
across the equator, scoop out most of the innards, stick a pat of butter
into each "envelope," then use it almost as a garnish (eat it, too, of
course). Yummy, and doesn't register all *that* much on the meter.

Some of the ham could be slivered into omelets, yes? Or quiche? Nice
and low-carb. Or make sandwiches of ham between very whole grain bread
with a good mustard? Or cold with a nice coleslaw?

Priscilla, also Type 2 diabetic
Damsel in dis Dress

"Priscilla H. Ballou" >, if that's their real name,
wrote:

>If you chunk the ham and toss it between the layers of the potatoes
>along with some chunks of cheddar, you up the fat and slow the spike.
>Maybe not enough, but some. ;-)
>
>I've been getting into baked potato skins. I bake a small Idaho, cut
>across the equator, scoop out most of the innards, stick a pat of butter
>into each "envelope," then use it almost as a garnish (eat it, too, of
>course). Yummy, and doesn't register all *that* much on the meter.
>
>Some of the ham could be slivered into omelets, yes? Or quiche? Nice
>and low-carb. Or make sandwiches of ham between very whole grain bread
>with a good mustard? Or cold with a nice coleslaw?

Thanks, Priscilla. I don't have a good grip on the science of carb
regulation. I'll try your ideas.

Carol