notbob

Default Martini wars revisted

Though I've been aware of the drink for decades, I, a fanatical gin
martini envangelist, have never tried a gimlet. So, in the interest
of scientific advancement and equal alcohol opportunity awareness, I
decided to sacrifice my body to the cause.

......pash duh peenuts, baybee...... ;P

nb
Katra

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> Though I've been aware of the drink for decades, I, a fanatical gin
> martini envangelist, have never tried a gimlet. So, in the interest
> of scientific advancement and equal alcohol opportunity awareness, I
> decided to sacrifice my body to the cause.
>
> .....pash duh peenuts, baybee...... ;P
>
> nb

Uh, what is a gimlet please?

K. -> Never been a fan of gin......
unless it's in a sloe gin fizz! ;-d
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply
arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather
to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and chocolate covered
strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
and screaming WOO HOO- What a ride."
notbob

On 2005-02-17, Katra > wrote:

> Uh, what is a gimlet please?
>
> K. -> Never been a fan of gin......
> unless it's in a sloe gin fizz! ;-d

Hah!... I can relate. As I recall, the very first time I got sick on
alcohol was on sloe gin fizzes.

Anyway, a gimlet is basically a cocktail of 4 parts gin or vodka
and 1 part Rose's lime juice and a lime wedge.

http://www.webtender.com/db/ingred/200

I can see any chance of reformation is pretty much out the window.

nb
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 17 Feb 2005 01:03:55a, notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Though I've been aware of the drink for decades, I, a fanatical gin
> martini envangelist, have never tried a gimlet. So, in the interest
> of scientific advancement and equal alcohol opportunity awareness, I
> decided to sacrifice my body to the cause.
>
> .....pash duh peenuts, baybee...... ;P
>
> nb

I don't think I've had a gimlet in over 35 years, but I used to love them. I
had all but forgotten about them. Gin or vodka and Rose's. I liked them on
the rocks with a fresh lime wedge. Very refreshing in hot weather. A good
gin martini, however, is still my favorite.

Wayne
Pierre

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 17 Feb 2005 01:03:55a, notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > Though I've been aware of the drink for decades, I, a fanatical gin
> > martini envangelist, have never tried a gimlet. So, in the

interest
> > of scientific advancement and equal alcohol opportunity awareness,

> > decided to sacrifice my body to the cause.
> >
> > .....pash duh peenuts, baybee...... ;P
> >
> > nb

> I don't think I've had a gimlet in over 35 years, but I used to love

them. I
> had all but forgotten about them. Gin or vodka and Rose's. I liked

them on
> the rocks with a fresh lime wedge. Very refreshing in hot weather.

A good
> gin martini, however, is still my favorite.
>
> Wayne

Try any gin beverage with "Plymouth" gin. Lower in alcohol, resulting
in less bitterness, but a lovely smooth juniper berry flavor. Not too
pricey either.

Pierre

Damsel in dis Dress

"Pierre" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>Try any gin beverage with "Plymouth" gin. Lower in alcohol, resulting
>in less bitterness, but a lovely smooth juniper berry flavor. Not too
>pricey either.

Thanks! I like gin and sour (or in my case, Fresca), but I don't like
boozy tasting drinks. I don't want a lot of gin in my Fresca. I'll look
for Plymouth in ten years, when I empty my current small bottle. <G>

Carol

zxcvbob

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> "Pierre" >, if that's their real name, wrote:
>

>>Try any gin beverage with "Plymouth" gin. Lower in alcohol, resulting
>>in less bitterness, but a lovely smooth juniper berry flavor. Not too
>>pricey either.

> Thanks! I like gin and sour (or in my case, Fresca), but I don't like
> boozy tasting drinks. I don't want a lot of gin in my Fresca. I'll look
> for Plymouth in ten years, when I empty my current small bottle. <G>
>
> Carol

I like gin and Fresca, but I mix it kind of heavy on the gin -- maybe 3
ounces of gin to 11 or 12 ounces of Fresca. I think the gin is Seagram's.

Bob
Gabby

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> Thanks! I like gin and sour (or in my case, Fresca), but I don't like
> boozy tasting drinks. I don't want a lot of gin in my Fresca. I'll look
> for Plymouth in ten years, when I empty my current small bottle. <G>

Gin & Fresca, never would have thought of that. I always liked gin & tonic
but, like you, didn't put much gin in my tonic. After a while I realized
that tonic tasted pretty much the same with or without the gin so now it's
straight tonic -- or lately, straight Fresca.

Gabby

Damsel in dis Dress

"Gabby" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Thanks! I like gin and sour (or in my case, Fresca), but I don't like
>> boozy tasting drinks. I don't want a lot of gin in my Fresca. I'll look
>> for Plymouth in ten years, when I empty my current small bottle. <G>

>Gin & Fresca, never would have thought of that. I always liked gin & tonic
>but, like you, didn't put much gin in my tonic. After a while I realized
>that tonic tasted pretty much the same with or without the gin so now it's
>straight tonic -- or lately, straight Fresca.

I like gin and sour. Fresca's as close as I can come to sugar-free sour.

Carol

Katra

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2005-02-17, Katra > wrote:
>
> > Uh, what is a gimlet please?
> >
> > K. -> Never been a fan of gin......
> > unless it's in a sloe gin fizz! ;-d

> Hah!... I can relate. As I recall, the very first time I got sick on
> alcohol was on sloe gin fizzes.
>
> Anyway, a gimlet is basically a cocktail of 4 parts gin or vodka
> and 1 part Rose's lime juice and a lime wedge.
>
> http://www.webtender.com/db/ingred/200
>
> I can see any chance of reformation is pretty much out the window.
>
> nb

I think I'd prefer vodka to gin any day....... ;-D

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada

Robt E

In article >,
says...
> On 2005-02-17, Katra > wrote:
>
> > Uh, what is a gimlet please?
> >
> > K. -> Never been a fan of gin......
> > unless it's in a sloe gin fizz! ;-d

> Hah!... I can relate. As I recall, the very first time I got sick on
> alcohol was on sloe gin fizzes.
>
> Anyway, a gimlet is basically a cocktail of 4 parts gin or vodka
> and 1 part Rose's lime juice and a lime wedge.

http://www.webtender.com/db/ingred/200

> I can see any chance of reformation is pretty much out the window.

A while back I was reading one of Raymond Chandler's detective stories.
Chandler's detective - I forget which one - was meeting a client in a
bar. The client insisted that the only proper formula for a gin gimlet
is equal parts gin and Rose's lime. I'd not had one before, so I
thouogh, what the heck, I'd give it a try. Not bad, if you like sour
things - a good bit of pucker power.

RobtE
notbob

On 2005-02-17, Robt E > wrote:

> thouogh, what the heck, I'd give it a try. Not bad, if you like sour
> things - a good bit of pucker power.

.....and sickly sweet!

I made mine 4:1. Yum!

nb
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 17 Feb 2005 11:55:25a, Robt E wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> says...
>> On 2005-02-17, Katra > wrote:
>>
>> > Uh, what is a gimlet please?
>> >
>> > K. -> Never been a fan of gin......
>> > unless it's in a sloe gin fizz! ;-d

>> Hah!... I can relate. As I recall, the very first time I got sick on
>> alcohol was on sloe gin fizzes.
>>
>> Anyway, a gimlet is basically a cocktail of 4 parts gin or vodka
>> and 1 part Rose's lime juice and a lime wedge.

http://www.webtender.com/db/ingred/200

>> I can see any chance of reformation is pretty much out the window.
>>

> A while back I was reading one of Raymond Chandler's detective stories.
> Chandler's detective - I forget which one - was meeting a client in a
> bar. The client insisted that the only proper formula for a gin gimlet
> is equal parts gin and Rose's lime. I'd not had one before, so I
> thouogh, what the heck, I'd give it a try. Not bad, if you like sour
> things - a good bit of pucker power.
>
> RobtE

IIRC, the instructions on the bottle of Rose's Lime Juice suggest 4:1 or
5:1 rations for gin/vodka to lime juice. I could be wrong.

Wayne
Dimitri

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>
>> Though I've been aware of the drink for decades, I, a fanatical gin
>> martini envangelist, have never tried a gimlet. So, in the interest
>> of scientific advancement and equal alcohol opportunity awareness, I
>> decided to sacrifice my body to the cause.
>>
>> .....pash duh peenuts, baybee...... ;P
>>
>> nb

> Uh, what is a gimlet please?
>
> K. -> Never been a fan of gin......
> unless it's in a sloe gin fizz! ;-d

Gin, Lime Juice, and sugar.

Roses Gimlet :
http://www.rosesgimlet.com/

Dimitri

Dan Abel

In article > , Dog3
> wrote:

> (non) martini is my fave. 2 olives and make it dirty please

I don't go to bars, but I was five hours early for my plane at the DFW
airport, and didn't know what else to do, so I ordered a martini at the
bar. The bartender asked if I wanted it "dirty". I asked her what that
meant, but didn't understand her mumbled answer. So what is it?

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Peter Aitken

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article > , Dog3
> > wrote:
>

>> (non) martini is my fave. 2 olives and make it dirty please

> I don't go to bars, but I was five hours early for my plane at the DFW
> airport, and didn't know what else to do, so I ordered a martini at the
> bar. The bartender asked if I wanted it "dirty". I asked her what that
> meant, but didn't understand her mumbled answer. So what is it?
>
> --

It's when they add a bit of the olive juice (from the jar) along with the
olives. They are gross IMO. The slight touch of olive/salty flavor that the
olive alone provides is plenty for me.

--
Peter Aitken

Dimitri

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article > , Dog3
> > wrote:
>

>> (non) martini is my fave. 2 olives and make it dirty please

> I don't go to bars, but I was five hours early for my plane at the DFW
> airport, and didn't know what else to do, so I ordered a martini at the
> bar. The bartender asked if I wanted it "dirty". I asked her what that
> meant, but didn't understand her mumbled answer. So what is it?
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Sonoma State University
> AIS

With the juice from the olives - it is a decent trick if someone is pouring
rot-gut vodka. It makes the drink salty.

Dimitri

However with a dirty Gibson I use a small amount the vinegar juice from the
pickled onions - Yum!

Peter Aitken

"Dog3" > wrote in message
1...
> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in
> m:
>
>> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message
>>> In article > , Dog3

>>> I don't go to bars, but I was five hours early for my plane at the
>>> DFW airport, and didn't know what else to do, so I ordered a martini
>>> at the bar. The bartender asked if I wanted it "dirty". I asked her
>>> what that meant, but didn't understand her mumbled answer. So what
>>> is it?
>>>
>>> --

>> It's when they add a bit of the olive juice (from the jar) along with
>> the olives. They are gross IMO. The slight touch of olive/salty flavor
>> that the olive alone provides is plenty for me.
>>

> You are a purist. I like 'em dirty and nasty

Then it's gotta be the cheapest gin or vodka you can find!

--
Peter Aitken

Dimitri

"notbob" > wrote in message
> Though I've been aware of the drink for decades, I, a fanatical gin
> martini envangelist, have never tried a gimlet. So, in the interest
> of scientific advancement and equal alcohol opportunity awareness, I
> decided to sacrifice my body to the cause.
>
> .....pash duh peenuts, baybee...... ;P

OK so how much vermouth do you really use?

Dimitri

Bob

Wayne replied:

>> The client insisted that the only proper formula for a gin gimlet
>> is equal parts gin and Rose's lime. I'd not had one before, so I
>> thouogh, what the heck, I'd give it a try. Not bad, if you like sour
>> things - a good bit of pucker power.
>>

> IIRC, the instructions on the bottle of Rose's Lime Juice suggest 4:1 or
> 5:1 rations for gin/vodka to lime juice. I could be wrong.

Well, what would you EXPECT a recipe on a bottle of lime juice to say? If I
were putting the recipe on the label of a gin bottle, I'd say that the
proportions should be 5 parts gin to 1 part lime juice.

Bob

Bob

Dan wrote:

> I don't go to bars, but I was five hours early for my plane at the DFW
> airport, and didn't know what else to do, so I ordered a martini at the
> bar. The bartender asked if I wanted it "dirty". I asked her what that
> meant, but didn't understand her mumbled answer. So what is it?

Some juice from the bottle of olives is added, and the olives are shaken
along with the liquor. (The drink is shaken HARD.) The olives will break up
a bit, and there will also be little flecks of olive in the olive juice, so
the drink won't be crystal-clear.

Bob

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 17 Feb 2005 05:00:27p, Bob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne replied:
>
>>> The client insisted that the only proper formula for a gin gimlet
>>> is equal parts gin and Rose's lime. I'd not had one before, so I
>>> thouogh, what the heck, I'd give it a try. Not bad, if you like sour
>>> things - a good bit of pucker power.
>>>

>> IIRC, the instructions on the bottle of Rose's Lime Juice suggest 4:1
>> or 5:1 rations for gin/vodka to lime juice. I could be wrong.

> Well, what would you EXPECT a recipe on a bottle of lime juice to say?
> If I were putting the recipe on the label of a gin bottle, I'd say that
> the proportions should be 5 parts gin to 1 part lime juice.
>
> Bob

And that's precisely what Rose's put on their bottle.

Did you read what I wrote? Rose's is a recommding a much smaller
proportion of their product to the liquor than the previous poster's 1:1
ration.

Realistically, for a manufacturer of an ingredient used in lesser
proportion, I wouldn't be surprised by a recommendtion of a higher
proportion of their product as, apparently, you think I stated.

I can't imagine drinking a Gimlet made with a 1:1 ration. GAG It would be
incredibly sweeter and probably more tart than I could drink.

Cheers,
Wayne

notbob

On 2005-02-17, Dimitri > wrote:

> OK so how much vermouth do you really use?

Depends on the gin. If I'm feeling really juniperish, I'll go with
Boodles and mix 3:1. If I'm out of Boodles and have some Sapphire on
hand, I'll go the ol' *dry martini route.

Q. How do you make a dry (a), extra dry(b), extra extra dry(c), or super extra
dry(d) martini?

a) 5:1

b) Swirl vermouth around in glass and dump out. Add 3 shots gin.

c) Take a swig of vermouth and whisper "vermouth" over 3 shots of gin.

d) Pour 3 shots of gin in a glass and drink while staring at bottle of
vermouth across room.

cheers...
nb

nb
sf

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 02:56:48 -0600, notbob
> wrote:

> Anyway, a gimlet is basically a cocktail of 4 parts gin or vodka
> and 1 part Rose's lime juice and a lime wedge.

I tried gimlets in bar settings when I was a young pup, but
they were practically alcohol free, like gin/tonic... in
fact, the G&Ts were more potent.

sf
sf

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:01:15 -0600, Katra
> wrote:

> I think I'd prefer vodka to gin any day....... ;-D

Gin has it's place. One of them is in recipes that call for
juniper berries (which of us don't have).

sf
-L.

Dog3 wrote:<snip>
The vodka
> (non) martini is my fave.

"Vodka" and "martini" should not be spoken in the same sentence. Or
house, for that matter...

-L.

-L.

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> "Pierre" >, if that's their real name, wrote:
>
> >Try any gin beverage with "Plymouth" gin. Lower in alcohol,

resulting
> >in less bitterness, but a lovely smooth juniper berry flavor. Not

too
> >pricey either.

> Thanks! I like gin and sour (or in my case, Fresca), but I don't

like
> boozy tasting drinks.

Gin and ruby red grapefruit juice is awesome.

-L.

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 18 Feb 2005 02:20:14a, -L. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Dog3 wrote:<snip>
> The vodka
>> (non) martini is my fave.

> "Vodka" and "martini" should not be spoken in the same sentence. Or
> house, for that matter...
>
> -L.

AMEN

Wayne
Pan Ohco

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:50:14 -0600, notbob > wrote:

>> OK so how much vermouth do you really use?

>Depends on the gin. If I'm feeling really juniperish, I'll go with
>Boodles and mix 3:1. If I'm out of Boodles and have some Sapphire on
>hand, I'll go the ol' *dry martini route.
>
>Q. How do you make a dry (a), extra dry(b), extra extra dry(c), or super extra
> dry(d) martini?
>
>a) 5:1
>
>b) Swirl vermouth around in glass and dump out. Add 3 shots gin.
>
>c) Take a swig of vermouth and whisper "vermouth" over 3 shots of gin.
>
>d) Pour 3 shots of gin in a glass and drink while staring at bottle of
> vermouth across room.
>
>cheers...
>nb

A perfect martini is 10-1
But letter d above is quit nice also.
>nb

Pan Ohco

Dan Abel

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> I can't imagine drinking a Gimlet made with a 1:1 ration. GAG It would be
> incredibly sweeter and probably more tart than I could drink.

Limes are pretty tart. I just sit there in disbelief and watch my
daughter eat one plain. When she makes tacos, she extracts the juice from
half a lime for each taco.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Default User

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> "Pierre" >, if that's their real name, wrote:
>
> >Try any gin beverage with "Plymouth" gin. Lower in alcohol,

resulting
> >in less bitterness, but a lovely smooth juniper berry flavor. Not

too
> >pricey either.

> Thanks! I like gin and sour (or in my case, Fresca), but I don't

like
> boozy tasting drinks. I don't want a lot of gin in my Fresca. I'll

look
> for Plymouth in ten years, when I empty my current small bottle. <G>

For those open bars at weddings or reunions, I go for the Tom Collins.
They usually don't screw it up too bad and it's a decent tanginess with
the gin.

Brian

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dog3" > wrote in message

> Gawd! another purist. Martini is just a *name* for a drink. Anyway, I'm
> not
> being hauled into another martini war It is all good regardless of the
> name.
>
> Michael

Then you find it acceptable to call it a milkshake? After all, it is just a
name.

The martini was a specific drink, just like thousands of others. Make a
variation, give it a new name.

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 18 Feb 2005 08:20:25p, Edwin Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Dog3" > wrote in message
>>>

>> Gawd! another purist. Martini is just a *name* for a drink. Anyway, I'm
>> not being hauled into another martini war It is all good regardless
>> of the name.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Then you find it acceptable to call it a milkshake? After all, it is
> just a name.
>
> The martini was a specific drink, just like thousands of others. Make a
> variation, give it a new name.

I like your thinking! Too bad nobody listens.

Wayne

Amarantha

"-L." > wrote in news:1108718490.709167.197730
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> Gin and ruby red grapefruit juice is awesome.

Ooo, sounds good I have these ingredients atm; shall have to try. What
proportions do you use, or is that a personal-taste type dealy?

Thanks,

nil illegitimi carborundum
notbob

On 2005-02-21, Amarantha > wrote:
> "-L." > wrote in news:1108718490.709167.197730
> @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

>> Gin and ruby red grapefruit juice is awesome.

> Ooo, sounds good I have these ingredients atm; shall have to try..

Salt the rim, al a margarita, and you have a Salty Dog.

nb

Betty Martini revisted! Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 7 26-09-2013 07:37 PM
Dressing outside the bird revisted KenK General Cooking 7 26-05-2013 04:32 PM
Red Robin revisted Julie Bove Diabetic 6 13-11-2008 11:04 AM
Bismark revisted John Kane General Cooking 0 12-08-2006 03:39 PM
Nasty Tilapia Revisted TopKat General Cooking 2 13-07-2006 06:42 AM