Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nasty Tilapia Revisted

This was just reported by the news today...scary for me because I live
and shop in this area.

==
Hundreds of pounds of illegally imported meat and chicken have been
confiscated by federal and state investigators.

The U.S.Department of Agriculture worked with the Michigan Department of
Agriculture on a raid at a Troy warehouse. Investigators found chicken,
goose and pork products from areas in China affected by bird flu, Local
4 reported.

USDA investigators seized more than 1,600 pounds of illegally imported
poultry and pork products, the station reported. Most of the products
were mislabeled and put in boxes that read frozen tilapia, according to
the report.

"This is absolutely a public health issue. Food safety and public health
are our number one concerns," said Brad Deacon, emergency management
coordinator for the state Agriculture Department.

Investigators said they have traced the illegal imports to a Genesee
County businessman who owns the Troy warehouse but seems to have
disappeared, Local 4 reported.

"The public should know that health departments in the state are out
looking in warehouses and backrooms and freezers to make sure this
material is not out there," said Deacon.

The warehouse has provided investigators with a list of about 300
restaurants and food stores it delivers to, and investigators will
follow up with those businesses to locate all of the illegal meat, Local
4 reported.

Doctors said that cooking meat to its proper temperature should
eliminate any risk of infection to humans.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/wdiv/20060712/lo_wdiv/9502377
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TopKat > wrote in news:MPG.1f1f391baa416654989680
@news.comcast.net:

> USDA investigators seized more than 1,600 pounds of illegally imported
> poultry and pork products, the station reported. Most of the products
> were mislabeled and put in boxes that read frozen tilapia, according to
> the report.

Don't know why anyone would want to eat Tilapia anyway, it's a pest!!

http://www.swee****erfishing.com.au/tilapia.htm

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TopKat > wrote:
>This was just reported by the news today...scary for me because I live
>and shop in this area.
>
>==
>The U.S.Department of Agriculture worked with the Michigan Department of
>Agriculture on a raid at a Troy warehouse. Investigators found chicken,
>goose and pork products from areas in China affected by bird flu, Local
>4 reported.

[...]
>Doctors said that cooking meat to its proper temperature should
>eliminate any risk of infection to humans.

What kind of doctors said that?

Influenza doesn't have to be ingested to be infectious.

Anyone handling these birds is at risk.

--Blair
"Maybe we can kill it with Mad Cows."

Dressing outside the bird revisted KenK General Cooking 7 26-05-2013 04:32 PM
Red Robin revisted Julie Bove Diabetic 6 13-11-2008 10:04 AM
Bismark revisted John Kane General Cooking 0 12-08-2006 03:39 PM
Nasty Tilapia, a Basa and other questions... -L. General Cooking 47 09-07-2006 10:02 PM
Martini wars revisted notbob General Cooking 49 22-02-2005 01:43 AM