Janet Bostwick

Default chocolate question

Can I substitute chipped chocolate from a piece of one of those 15 pound
blocks of Ghirarardelli for chocolate chips in a recipe? I don't have
enough chocolate chips for a candy recipe where the chips are melted, but I
do have a piece of the other chocolate. Thanks
Janet

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 15 Feb 2005 09:58:39p, Janet Bostwick wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Can I substitute chipped chocolate from a piece of one of those 15 pound
> blocks of Ghirarardelli for chocolate chips in a recipe? I don't have
> enough chocolate chips for a candy recipe where the chips are melted,
> but I do have a piece of the other chocolate. Thanks
> Janet

Absolutely! The Original Toll House Cookies were made with chopped
chocolate. There were no chocolate chips at that time, as they were invented
after the increasing popularity of the cookie.

Not that it matters that much, but is your Ghirardelli chocolate bittersweet
or milk chocolate?

Wayne

Janet Bostwick

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Tue 15 Feb 2005 09:58:39p, Janet Bostwick wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Can I substitute chipped chocolate from a piece of one of those 15 pound
>> blocks of Ghirarardelli for chocolate chips in a recipe? I don't have
>> enough chocolate chips for a candy recipe where the chips are melted,
>> but I do have a piece of the other chocolate. Thanks
>> Janet

> Absolutely! The Original Toll House Cookies were made with chopped
> chocolate. There were no chocolate chips at that time, as they were
> invented
> after the increasing popularity of the cookie.
>
> Not that it matters that much, but is your Ghirardelli chocolate
> bittersweet
> or milk chocolate?
>
> Wayne

Thanks, Wayne. I thought the melting properties were the same but I had
something niggling in my mind from some Cook's Illustrated article I read
years ago and I just didn't feel comfortable until I checked with someone.
This hunk is semi-sweet chocolate. I wanted to make another batch of
Rachael Ray's Christmas 'Fudge.' Definitely not a real fudge, but it
reminds me of that little candy bar you used to be able to buy--about 1 1/2
inches square by 3/4 inch high, wrapped in foil and it was chocolate,
raisins and cashews--can't remember the name of it. I made substitutions
to the recipe with that candy bar in mind. Here's the recipe

Five-Minute Fudge Wreath
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Ingredients
1 (12-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate morsels
9 ounces (3/4 of a 12-ounce bag) butterscotch morsels
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (8-ounce) can walnut halves
1/2 cup (a couple of handfuls) currants

8-inch cake pan, lightly greased with softened butter
Candied cherries, red and green, for garnish, optional

Directions
Place a heavy pot on the stove and preheat it over low heat. Add chips and
milk and stir
until chips are melted and milk combined. Save the empty condensed milk can.
Stir in vanilla and remove fudge from heat.
Add nuts and currants and stir in immediately.

Janet

D.Currie

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Tue 15 Feb 2005 09:58:39p, Janet Bostwick wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Can I substitute chipped chocolate from a piece of one of those 15 pound
>>> blocks of Ghirarardelli for chocolate chips in a recipe? I don't have
>>> enough chocolate chips for a candy recipe where the chips are melted,
>>> but I do have a piece of the other chocolate. Thanks
>>> Janet

>> Absolutely! The Original Toll House Cookies were made with chopped
>> chocolate. There were no chocolate chips at that time, as they were
>> invented
>> after the increasing popularity of the cookie.
>>
>> Not that it matters that much, but is your Ghirardelli chocolate
>> bittersweet
>> or milk chocolate?
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> Thanks, Wayne. I thought the melting properties were the same but I had
> something niggling in my mind from some Cook's Illustrated article I read
> years ago and I just didn't feel comfortable until I checked with someone.
> This hunk is semi-sweet chocolate. I wanted to make another batch of
> Rachael Ray's Christmas 'Fudge.' Definitely not a real fudge, but it
> reminds me of that little candy bar you used to be able to buy--about 1
> 1/2 inches square by 3/4 inch high, wrapped in foil and it was chocolate,
> raisins and cashews--can't remember the name of it. I made substitutions
> to the recipe with that candy bar in mind. Here's the recipe
>
> Five-Minute Fudge Wreath
> Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
> Ingredients
> 1 (12-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate morsels
> 9 ounces (3/4 of a 12-ounce bag) butterscotch morsels
> 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1 (8-ounce) can walnut halves
> 1/2 cup (a couple of handfuls) currants
>
> 8-inch cake pan, lightly greased with softened butter
> Candied cherries, red and green, for garnish, optional
>
> Directions
> Place a heavy pot on the stove and preheat it over low heat. Add chips and
> milk and stir
> until chips are melted and milk combined. Save the empty condensed milk
> can. Stir in vanilla and remove fudge from heat.
> Add nuts and currants and stir in immediately.
>
> Janet

Was that the Chunky bar?

Janet Bostwick

"D.Currie" > wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

>>> Absolutely! The Original Toll House Cookies were made with chopped
>>> chocolate. There were no chocolate chips at that time, as they were
>>> invented
>>> after the increasing popularity of the cookie.
>>>
>>> Not that it matters that much, but is your Ghirardelli chocolate
>>> bittersweet
>>> or milk chocolate?
>>>
>>> Wayne
>>>

>> Thanks, Wayne. I thought the melting properties were the same but I had
>> something niggling in my mind from some Cook's Illustrated article I read
>> years ago and I just didn't feel comfortable until I checked with
>> someone. This hunk is semi-sweet chocolate. I wanted to make another
>> batch of Rachael Ray's Christmas 'Fudge.' Definitely not a real fudge,
>> but it reminds me of that little candy bar you used to be able to
>> buy--about 1 1/2 inches square by 3/4 inch high, wrapped in foil and it
>> was chocolate, raisins and cashews--can't remember the name of it. I
>> made substitutions to the recipe with that candy bar in mind. Here's the
>> recipe
>>
>> Five-Minute Fudge Wreath
>> Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
>> Ingredients
>> 1 (12-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate morsels
>> 9 ounces (3/4 of a 12-ounce bag) butterscotch morsels
>> 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
>> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>> 1 (8-ounce) can walnut halves
>> 1/2 cup (a couple of handfuls) currants
>>
>> 8-inch cake pan, lightly greased with softened butter
>> Candied cherries, red and green, for garnish, optional
>>
>> Directions
>> Place a heavy pot on the stove and preheat it over low heat. Add chips
>> and milk and stir
>> until chips are melted and milk combined. Save the empty condensed milk
>> can. Stir in vanilla and remove fudge from heat.
>> Add nuts and currants and stir in immediately.
>>
>> Janet
>>

> Was that the Chunky bar?

I think that's it! Thanks. I hate it when something so trivial nags at my
mind.
Janet

nancree

Your recipe says:
"Save the empty condensed milk can".
Why? Did I miss something?

Directions
Place a heavy pot on the stove and preheat it over low heat. Add chips
and
milk and stir
until chips are melted and milk combined. Save the empty condensed milk
can.
Stir in vanilla and remove fudge from heat.
Add nuts and currants and stir in immediately. "
--------------------------

Nancree

Janet Bostwick

"nancree" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Your recipe says:
> "Save the empty condensed milk can".
> Why? Did I miss something?
>
> Directions
> Place a heavy pot on the stove and preheat it over low heat. Add chips
> and
> milk and stir
> until chips are melted and milk combined. Save the empty condensed milk
> can.
> Stir in vanilla and remove fudge from heat.
> Add nuts and currants and stir in immediately. "
> --------------------------
>
> Nancree

Sorry, I just copied the recipe from the Food Network site. Originally,
this candy is made in a round pan with the milk can in the center--this
makes the wreath shape that is referred to in the recipe title. I just
ignored the wreath suggestion and made it in the usual pan.
Janet

Hahabogus

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
:

> until chips are melted and milk combined. Save the empty condensed
> milk can.

What do you need the empty can for?

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
jmcquown

Hahabogus wrote:
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
> :
>
>> until chips are melted and milk combined. Save the empty condensed
>> milk can.
>>

> What do you need the empty can for?

She answered this question in a prior post. Originally the "fudge" was
designed to be shaped like a wreath so you put the can in the middle to
create a hole in the center.

Jill

Hahabogus

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
:

> "nancree" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Your recipe says:
> > "Save the empty condensed milk can".
> > Why? Did I miss something?
> >
> > Directions
> > Place a heavy pot on the stove and preheat it over low heat. Add
> > chips and
> > milk and stir
> > until chips are melted and milk combined. Save the empty condensed
> > milk can.
> > Stir in vanilla and remove fudge from heat.
> > Add nuts and currants and stir in immediately. "
> > --------------------------
> >
> > Nancree
> >

> Sorry, I just copied the recipe from the Food Network site.
> Originally, this candy is made in a round pan with the milk can in
> the center--this makes the wreath shape that is referred to in the
> recipe title. I just ignored the wreath suggestion and made it in
> the usual pan. Janet

I think I'll use peanuts and cashews in smaller heart shaped molds and
give them out come next valintines day.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 15 Feb 2005 10:39:55p, Janet Bostwick wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Tue 15 Feb 2005 09:58:39p, Janet Bostwick wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Can I substitute chipped chocolate from a piece of one of those 15
>>> pound blocks of Ghirarardelli for chocolate chips in a recipe? I
>>> don't have enough chocolate chips for a candy recipe where the chips
>>> are melted, but I do have a piece of the other chocolate. Thanks
>>> Janet

>> Absolutely! The Original Toll House Cookies were made with chopped
>> chocolate. There were no chocolate chips at that time, as they were
>> invented after the increasing popularity of the cookie.
>>
>> Not that it matters that much, but is your Ghirardelli chocolate
>> bittersweet or milk chocolate?
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> Thanks, Wayne. I thought the melting properties were the same but I
> had
> something niggling in my mind from some Cook's Illustrated article I
> read years ago and I just didn't feel comfortable until I checked with
> someone. This hunk is semi-sweet chocolate. I wanted to make another
> batch of Rachael Ray's Christmas 'Fudge.' Definitely not a real fudge,
> but it reminds me of that little candy bar you used to be able to
> buy--about 1 1/2 inches square by 3/4 inch high, wrapped in foil and it
> was chocolate, raisins and cashews--can't remember the name of it. I
> made substitutions to the recipe with that candy bar in mind. Here's
> the recipe.

< recipe snipped for brevity>

Janet, that would be a "Chunky" candy bar. I haven't seen them in stores in
years, but they are still made and available online. At the time, that was
one of my favorite candy bars. They also introduced a version with pecans
instead of peanuts, but I don't think that one is available anymore.

Thanks for posting the recipe. Are you substituting more chocolate in place
of the butterscotch morsels? I can't imagine that flavor in a Chunky. I
will have to make these now to satisfy a nostalgic crave! :-)

Thanks,
Wayne

Janet Bostwick

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Tue 15 Feb 2005 10:39:55p, Janet Bostwick wrote in rec.food.cooking:

snip
' Definitely not a real fudge,
>> but it reminds me of that little candy bar you used to be able to
>> buy--about 1 1/2 inches square by 3/4 inch high, wrapped in foil and it
>> was chocolate, raisins and cashews--can't remember the name of it. I
>> made substitutions to the recipe with that candy bar in mind. Here's
>> the recipe.

> < recipe snipped for brevity>
>
> Janet, that would be a "Chunky" candy bar. I haven't seen them in stores
> in
> years, but they are still made and available online. At the time, that
> was
> one of my favorite candy bars. They also introduced a version with pecans
> instead of peanuts, but I don't think that one is available anymore.
>
> Thanks for posting the recipe. Are you substituting more chocolate in
> place
> of the butterscotch morsels? I can't imagine that flavor in a Chunky. I
> will have to make these now to satisfy a nostalgic crave! :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Wayne

No, I used the recipe as is. It's certainly easy. One warning, though.
This stuff sets up fast, so have your pan ready.
Janet

Priscilla H. Ballou

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> Definitely not a real fudge, but it
> reminds me of that little candy bar you used to be able to buy--about 1 1/2
> inches square by 3/4 inch high, wrapped in foil and it was chocolate,
> raisins and cashews--can't remember the name of it.

Chunky?

Priscilla, who remembers them fondly
Doug Freyburger

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> Can I substitute chipped chocolate from a piece of one of those 15

pound
> blocks of Ghirarardelli for chocolate chips in a recipe? I don't

have
> enough chocolate chips for a candy recipe where the chips are melted,

but I
> do have a piece of the other chocolate. Thanks

Actually it's the other way around. Bagged chocolate chips
are a substitute for block chocolate that's been chopped into
pieces.

Possible issue - Something waxy may be added to the chips
that would effect the texture. Expect softer more chewy
cookies.

Nancy Young

"Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote in message
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> Definitely not a real fudge, but it
>> reminds me of that little candy bar you used to be able to buy--about 1
>> 1/2
>> inches square by 3/4 inch high, wrapped in foil and it was chocolate,
>> raisins and cashews--can't remember the name of it.

> Chunky?
>
> Priscilla, who remembers them fondly

For some odd reason I was thinking of the Ice Cubes ... you know, it was
the 5 cent candy!!!! ... but I think you're all right ... Chunky. I miss
candy
stores with the luncheonette counter.

nancy (could kill for an egg cream ... putting U-Bet on the shopping list)

Janet Bostwick

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote in message
>> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>>
>>> Definitely not a real fudge, but it
>>> reminds me of that little candy bar you used to be able to buy--about 1
>>> 1/2
>>> inches square by 3/4 inch high, wrapped in foil and it was chocolate,
>>> raisins and cashews--can't remember the name of it.

>> Chunky?
>>
>> Priscilla, who remembers them fondly

> For some odd reason I was thinking of the Ice Cubes ... you know, it was
> the 5 cent candy!!!! ... but I think you're all right ... Chunky. I miss
> candy
> stores with the luncheonette counter.
>
> nancy (could kill for an egg cream ... putting U-Bet on the shopping list)

You mean with all that marble and dark wood and mirrors? There was one
still existing in my home town when I grew up. It made all the ice cream
sundaes and suicide cokes taste better. ;o}
Janet

Janet Bostwick

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> Can I substitute chipped chocolate from a piece of one of those 15

> pound
>> blocks of Ghirarardelli for chocolate chips in a recipe? I don't

> have
>> enough chocolate chips for a candy recipe where the chips are melted,

> but I
>> do have a piece of the other chocolate. Thanks

> Actually it's the other way around. Bagged chocolate chips
> are a substitute for block chocolate that's been chopped into
> pieces.
>
> Possible issue - Something waxy may be added to the chips
> that would effect the texture. Expect softer more chewy
> cookies.

There's something rattling around in my brain regarding that issue. But
the recipe called for chips and we'll see how half chips and half chipped
slab works out. Thanks.
Janet

Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, "Nancy Young" > said:
> "Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote in message
> > Janet Bostwick wrote:

> >> Definitely not a real fudge, but it
> >> reminds me of that little candy bar you used to be able to buy--about 1
> >> 1/2
> >> inches square by 3/4 inch high, wrapped in foil and it was chocolate,
> >> raisins and cashews--can't remember the name of it.

> > Chunky?
> >
> > Priscilla, who remembers them fondly

> For some odd reason I was thinking of the Ice Cubes ... you know, it was
> the 5 cent candy!!!! ...

Ooooh, I love those -- they're so creamy! Haven't had one for years.

> but I think you're all right ... Chunky. I miss
> candy stores with the luncheonette counter.

Does anyone else remember the plain Chunky bar? It was in a brown
foil wrapper -- same thing, just minus the nuts and raisins. Those
were my absolute favorite chocolate bar.

> nancy (could kill for an egg cream ... putting U-Bet on the shopping list)

What's an egg cream, Nancy?

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is
Priscilla H. Ballou

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote in message
> > Janet Bostwick wrote:
> >>
> >> Definitely not a real fudge, but it
> >> reminds me of that little candy bar you used to be able to buy--about 1
> >> 1/2
> >> inches square by 3/4 inch high, wrapped in foil and it was chocolate,
> >> raisins and cashews--can't remember the name of it.

> > Chunky?
> >
> > Priscilla, who remembers them fondly

> For some odd reason I was thinking of the Ice Cubes ... you know, it was
> the 5 cent candy!!!! ... but I think you're all right ... Chunky. I miss
> candy
> stores with the luncheonette counter.
>
> nancy (could kill for an egg cream ... putting U-Bet on the shopping list)

Oh, right... 3/4 inch high would be ice cubes, but the solids in them
were teeny tiny bits of stuff (that seemed like tin foil!), not whole
raisins. Chunkies were maybe 1.5 inches square and 1.25 inches high?

Priscilla
Priscilla H. Ballou

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > For some odd reason I was thinking of the Ice Cubes ... you know, it was
> > the 5 cent candy!!!! ... but I think you're all right ... Chunky. I miss
> > candy
> > stores with the luncheonette counter.
> >
> > nancy (could kill for an egg cream ... putting U-Bet on the shopping list)

> You mean with all that marble and dark wood and mirrors? There was one
> still existing in my home town when I grew up. It made all the ice cream
> sundaes and suicide cokes taste better. ;o}

I never ran into one of those until I came to Boston and discovered
Baileys (may it rest in peace). In the part of NYC where I grew up, one
got egg creams at lunch counters in (some) drug stores or at small
restaurants. Stuff like Ice Cubes we got at the hole-in-the-wall
newspaper store around the corner from school.

Ah, memories!

Priscilla

Priscilla H. Ballou

"Gal Called J.J." wrote:

> One time on Usenet, "Nancy Young" > said:
> > nancy (could kill for an egg cream ... putting U-Bet on the shopping list)

> What's an egg cream, Nancy?

An NYC treat. Imagine a chocolate ice cream soda without the ice cream,
only richer. :-)

Priscilla
Nancy Young

"Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote in message
> "Gal Called J.J." wrote:
>>
>> One time on Usenet, "Nancy Young" > said:
>> > nancy (could kill for an egg cream ... putting U-Bet on the shopping
>> > list)

>> What's an egg cream, Nancy?

> An NYC treat. Imagine a chocolate ice cream soda without the ice cream,
> only richer. :-)

It is a treat. Seltzer, Fox's U-Bet and ... ahhhh! someone help me ...
cream?
No eggs.

nancy

Priscilla H. Ballou

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote in message

> >> What's an egg cream, Nancy?

> > An NYC treat. Imagine a chocolate ice cream soda without the ice cream,
> > only richer. :-)

> It is a treat. Seltzer, Fox's U-Bet and ... ahhhh! someone help me ...
> cream?
> No eggs.

I make 'em with milk/cream, chocolate syrup, and seltzer.

Priscilla
Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, "Priscilla H. Ballou" > said:
> "Gal Called J.J." wrote:
> > One time on Usenet, "Nancy Young" > said:

> > > nancy (could kill for an egg cream ... putting U-Bet on the shopping list)

> > What's an egg cream, Nancy?

> An NYC treat. Imagine a chocolate ice cream soda
> without the ice cream, only richer. :-)

I've never had a ice cream soda either. Is it anything like a float?
Still, it sounds good, I'm all for any food that's "rich"... :-)

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is
filled with elf blood." - Frylock, ATHF
Priscilla H. Ballou

"Gal Called J.J." wrote:

> One time on Usenet, "Priscilla H. Ballou" > said:

> > > What's an egg cream, Nancy?

> > An NYC treat. Imagine a chocolate ice cream soda
> > without the ice cream, only richer. :-)

> I've never had a ice cream soda either. Is it anything like a float?
> Still, it sounds good, I'm all for any food that's "rich"... :-)

Take a tall glass. Pour in a couple of ounces of cream followed by a
ounce or two of chocolate syrup. Pour in cold seltzer, stirring all the
while. Stick in a straw and slurp it up.

Priscilla

Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, "Priscilla H. Ballou" > said:
> "Gal Called J.J." wrote:

<snip>

> > I've never had a ice cream soda either. Is it anything like a float?
> > Still, it sounds good, I'm all for any food that's "rich"... :-)

> Take a tall glass. Pour in a couple of ounces of cream followed by a
> ounce or two of chocolate syrup. Pour in cold seltzer, stirring all the
> while. Stick in a straw and slurp it up.

Oh, so that's a soda, eh? I've heard of them over the years (I'm 41),
but never tried one. It sounds good, thanks for the instructions...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is
filled with elf blood." - Frylock, ATHF
Nancy Young

"Gal Called J.J." > wrote in message
> One time on Usenet, "Priscilla H. Ballou" > said:
>> "Gal Called J.J." wrote:

> <snip>
>
>> > I've never had a ice cream soda either. Is it anything like a float?
>> > Still, it sounds good, I'm all for any food that's "rich"... :-)

>> Take a tall glass. Pour in a couple of ounces of cream followed by a
>> ounce or two of chocolate syrup. Pour in cold seltzer, stirring all the
>> while. Stick in a straw and slurp it up.

> Oh, so that's a soda, eh? I've heard of them over the years (I'm 41),
> but never tried one. It sounds good, thanks for the instructions...

That's an egg cream!

nancy

Alex Rast

at Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:01:20 GMT in >,
(Janet Bostwick) wrote :

>"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>>
>>> Can I substitute chipped chocolate from a piece of one of those 15

>> pound
>>> blocks of Ghirarardelli for chocolate chips in a recipe?...

>> Actually it's the other way around. Bagged chocolate chips
>> are a substitute for block chocolate that's been chopped into
>> pieces.
>>
>> Possible issue - Something waxy may be added to the chips
>> that would effect the texture. Expect softer more chewy
>> cookies.
>>

>There's something rattling around in my brain regarding that issue. But
>the recipe called for chips and we'll see how half chips and half chipped
>slab works out. Thanks.

Chocolate chips are generally made with less cocoa butter than block
chocolate "couverture". This is so that, used in chocolate chip cookies,
they don't melt as quickly. Very few chocolate chips that I know of add
anything waxy - most of them simply use less cocoa butter (and it's for
this reason that chocolate chips are generally the cheapest format for dark
chocolate - cocoa butter is expensive, and the less you have in there, the
less expensive the chocolate will be).

In a recipe that doesn't call for the chips to be used similarly to a
chocolate chip cookie - folded or stirred or kneaded into a dough or batter
and then baked, block chocolate couverture almost always gives slightly
better results. It's especially true if the chocolate is to be melted:
couverture melts faster and more uniformly. In your quick fudge recipe,
the block chocolate will work perfectly. I should note that in a recipe
that *does* call for chips to be used in their classic application, the
purpose-made chips will perform better. They won't flatten as much and they
resist the streaky, separated effect that block chocolate usually develops.

--
Alex Rast

Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, "Nancy Young" > said:

> "Gal Called J.J." > wrote in message
> > One time on Usenet, "Priscilla H. Ballou" > said:
> >> "Gal Called J.J." wrote:

> > <snip>

> >> Take a tall glass. Pour in a couple of ounces of cream followed by a
> >> ounce or two of chocolate syrup. Pour in cold seltzer, stirring all the
> >> while. Stick in a straw and slurp it up.

> > Oh, so that's a soda, eh? I've heard of them over the years (I'm 41),
> > but never tried one. It sounds good, thanks for the instructions...

> That's an egg cream!

D'oh! My mistake. Anyway, it sounds good. If I ever get back to the East
Coast, I'll have to try one...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is
filled with elf blood." - Frylock, ATHF

Janet Bostwick

"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> at Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:01:20 GMT in >,
> (Janet Bostwick) wrote :

snip
>>> pound

snip

> Chocolate chips are generally made with less cocoa butter than block
> chocolate "couverture". This is so that, used in chocolate chip cookies,
> they don't melt as quickly. Very few chocolate chips that I know of add
> anything waxy - most of them simply use less cocoa butter (and it's for
> this reason that chocolate chips are generally the cheapest format for
> dark
> chocolate - cocoa butter is expensive, and the less you have in there, the
> less expensive the chocolate will be).
>
> In a recipe that doesn't call for the chips to be used similarly to a
> chocolate chip cookie - folded or stirred or kneaded into a dough or
> batter
> and then baked, block chocolate couverture almost always gives slightly
> better results. It's especially true if the chocolate is to be melted:
> couverture melts faster and more uniformly. In your quick fudge recipe,
> the block chocolate will work perfectly. I should note that in a recipe
> that *does* call for chips to be used in their classic application, the
> purpose-made chips will perform better. They won't flatten as much and
> they
> resist the streaky, separated effect that block chocolate usually
> develops.
>

> --
> Alex Rast
>

> (remove d., .7, not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

Thank you for the information, Alex. You've explained the difference so
that I will be able to keep it in mind.
I used half of each kind of chocolate. The mixture did melt easier in the
pot. I thought that was simply because I'd used my chef's knife and the
chocolate was shaved more than chipped. The candy feels slightly creamier
in the mouth and appears a little smoother to the eye. I definitely like
the flavor better, the Ghirardelli is nice.

I would have reported back yesterday but I never got around to making the
candy. I got snarled up with a phone call to HP tech support. Whatever you
do, never phone tech support anymore. Due to language barrier, I spent over
10 minutes just trying to get my name and phone number across to the tech
person. It was a mutual thing. I absolutely could not understand him and
he for sure couldn't understand me. I only phoned because my first online
chat didn't solve my printer problem. An hour and a half later I simply
hung up the phone. Then I tried online chat again--this time I got someone
that listened and didn't need to run me through all the steps on the techie
cheat sheet. Anyway, after that, I just went to bed with a headache.
Janet