Anita Scales

Default Question...about Chocolate

Hi!

My aunt past on a few months ago and going through her things, I discovered a
great collection of recipes. One was a chocolate cake, which I am eager to
try, but, the recipe calls for not only chocolate, but a shot of chocolate.
What is a shot of chocolate? These recipes date back to the late 40's and 50's
from what I can tell.

Thanks for your Help
Queen of the Underdogs
Get Paid to Party
www.1800partyconsultant.com/34299
Vox Humana

"Anita Scales" > wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> My aunt past on a few months ago and going through her things, I

discovered a
> great collection of recipes. One was a chocolate cake, which I am eager

> try, but, the recipe calls for not only chocolate, but a shot of

chocolate.
> What is a shot of chocolate? These recipes date back to the late 40's and

50's
> from what I can tell.

It might be shorthand for an ingredient or amount. It would be helpful if
you posted the recipe. I find that there are very few truly unique recipes,
just a few classics with some variations. Surely someone will recognize the
recipe and be able to respond. A quick Google search reveals that
"chocolate shot" is a regional name for sprinkles or Jimmies. It would be
hard to tell if this applies to your recipe without seeing it in some
context.

Matt

"Anita Scales" > wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> My aunt past on a few months ago and going through her things, I

discovered a
> great collection of recipes. One was a chocolate cake, which I am eager

> try, but, the recipe calls for not only chocolate, but a shot of

chocolate.
> What is a shot of chocolate? These recipes date back to the late 40's and

50's
> from what I can tell.

Possibly a shot of chocolate syrup or of chocolate liqueur.

Anita Scales > wrote:
> Hi!

> My aunt past on a few months ago and going through her things, I discovered a
> great collection of recipes. One was a chocolate cake, which I am eager to
> try, but, the recipe calls for not only chocolate, but a shot of chocolate.
> What is a shot of chocolate? These recipes date back to the late 40's and 50's
> from what I can tell.

My guess is chocolate liquor. Gadiva makes a wonderful chocolate
liquor which you should be able to find at a decent liquor store.
Alex Rast

at Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:20:23 GMT in >,
wrote :

>Anita Scales > wrote:
>> Hi!

>> My aunt past on a few months ago and going through her things, I
>> discovered a great collection of recipes. One was a chocolate cake,
>> which I am eager to try, but, the recipe calls for not only chocolate,
>> but a shot of chocolate.

>My guess is chocolate liquor. Gadiva makes a wonderful chocolate
>liquor which you should be able to find at a decent liquor store.

Terminology clarification (and this is important): "Chocolate liquor" is
*not* an alcoholic, chocolate-flavoured liquid. Rather, it is pure
unsweetened chocolate mass - what you get if you grind up cocoa nibs. If
you want to refer to an alcoholic, chocolate-flavoured liquid, you call it
a "chocolate liqueur". This is an important difference because many
chocolate bars and chocolate products list chocolate liquor as an
ingredient, which thus doesn't mean you should infer it's got alcohol in
it. Chocolate-flavoured liqueur is a pretty recent development so the
terminological confusion is perhaps understandable - for years you only had
the non-alcoholic product.

As to the OP, as others have said, better to post the recipe. However, the
OP did mention the recipe was quite old, and given that it wasn't so long
ago that there were no chocolate-flavoured alcoholic liquids, it's
reasonable to assume what the recipe called for wasn't that. The sprinkles
idea (I'm used to calling them hundreds and thousands) sounds plausible,
but I'd think that in a recipe you could read it and that interpretation
would be pretty self-evident.
--
Alex Rast