Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chocolate question

Dumb question probably but I don't really know what to do. I want to buy a
fairly large block of chocolate and melt it to fit a mold. While it's
melted, what can I mix in to make it less denser so it will cut with a knife
easily?

I think I said that right and I hope you all got it...

--
Cheers!

Dennis

Remove 'ElleKabong' to reply

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 May 2011 13:54:44 -0600, Mark Thorson wrote
(in article >):

> Ruddell wrote:
>>
>> Dumb question probably but I don't really know what to do. I want to buy a
>> fairly large block of chocolate and melt it to fit a mold. While it's
>> melted, what can I mix in to make it less denser so it will cut with a knife
>> easily?

> Rice Krispies.

OK, that's what my wife said as well but it didn't make sense to me. But two
outta three ain't bad...

Thanks :-)

--
Cheers!

Dennis

Remove 'ElleKabong' to reply

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2011 1:50 PM, Ruddell wrote:

> Dumb question probably but I don't really know what to do. I want to buy a
> fairly large block of chocolate and melt it to fit a mold. While it's
> melted, what can I mix in to make it less denser so it will cut with a knife
> easily?

Whipping cream added to melted chocolate will make a softer chocolate
(ganache) that will cut and melt more easily after it re-hardens. If
you want it to continue to be solid chocolate with no other fillings,
I'd experiment with proportions to find what works best for your
project. I'd start with one part cream to three parts chocolate and
see how it goes. If you're looking for something to add texture to the
chocolate, you could use cookie crumbs or finely chopped nuts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ruddell wrote:

> Dumb question probably but I don't really know what to do. I want to buy a
> fairly large block of chocolate and melt it to fit a mold. While it's
> melted, what can I mix in to make it less denser so it will cut with a knife
> easily?

Rice Krispies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ruddell wrote:

> Dumb question probably but I don't really know what to do. I want to buy a
> fairly large block of chocolate and melt it to fit a mold. While it's
> melted, what can I mix in to make it less denser so it will cut with a knife
> easily?
>
> I think I said that right and I hope you all got it...

Butter, eggs, milk, think custard. Let me know if yo want more precise
instructions.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 1:50*pm, Ruddell > wrote:
> Dumb question probably but I don't really know what to do. *I want to buy a
> fairly large block of chocolate and melt it to fit a mold. *While it's
> melted, what can I mix in to make it less denser so it will cut with a knife
> easily?
>
> I think I said that right and I hope you all got it...
>
> --
> Cheers!
>
> Dennis
>
> Remove 'ElleKabong' to reply

Cream. Basically make a very thick ganashe or truffle center. I use
1/2 cup of cream per 1 lb of chocolate for my truffles. Maybe cut
that down to 1/4 cup cream or less per lb of chocolate for a large
moldable chocolate thing.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On May 2, 1:50 pm, Ruddell > wrote:
>> Dumb question probably but I don't really know what to do. I want to buy a
>> fairly large block of chocolate and melt it to fit a mold. While it's
>> melted, what can I mix in to make it less denser so it will cut with a knife
>> easily?
>>
>> I think I said that right and I hope you all got it...
>>
>> --
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Dennis
>>
>> Remove 'ElleKabong' to reply

> Cream. Basically make a very thick ganashe or truffle center. I use
> 1/2 cup of cream per 1 lb of chocolate for my truffles. Maybe cut
> that down to 1/4 cup cream or less per lb of chocolate for a large
> moldable chocolate thing.
>
> John Kuthe...

I vote for cream. Rice Krispies would have a different effect.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 May 2011 13:37:52 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

> Cream. Basically make a very thick ganashe or truffle center. I use
> 1/2 cup of cream per 1 lb of chocolate for my truffles. Maybe cut
> that down to 1/4 cup cream or less per lb of chocolate for a large
> moldable chocolate thing.

Listen to John. He makes a lot of candy.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 May 2011 07:43:02 -0600, Jean B. wrote
(in article >):

> John Kuthe wrote:
>> On May 2, 1:50 pm, Ruddell > wrote:
>>> Dumb question probably but I don't really know what to do. I want to buy a
>>> fairly large block of chocolate and melt it to fit a mold. While it's
>>> melted, what can I mix in to make it less denser so it will cut with a
>>> knife
>>> easily?
>>>
>>> I think I said that right and I hope you all got it...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> Dennis
>>>
>>> Remove 'ElleKabong' to reply

>> Cream. Basically make a very thick ganashe or truffle center. I use
>> 1/2 cup of cream per 1 lb of chocolate for my truffles. Maybe cut
>> that down to 1/4 cup cream or less per lb of chocolate for a large
>> moldable chocolate thing.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> I vote for cream. Rice Krispies would have a different effect.

Well, thanks for the info. Guess the best thing would be to try a couple of
small ones of each but the cream does make more sense. This sort of thing
I'm really not up on so a little help is always appreciated...

Thanks again

--
Cheers!

Dennis

Remove 'ElleKabong' to reply

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 3, 9:54*am, Ruddell > wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2011 07:43:02 -0600, Jean B. wrote
> (in article >):
>

> > John Kuthe wrote:

> >> Cream. Basically make a very thick ganashe or truffle center. I use
> >> 1/2 cup of cream per 1 lb of chocolate for my truffles. *Maybe cut
> >> that down to 1/4 cup cream or less per lb of chocolate for a large
> >> moldable chocolate thing.

> >> John Kuthe...

> > I vote for cream. *Rice Krispies would have a different effect.

> Well, thanks for the info. *Guess the best thing would be to try a couple of
> small ones of each but the cream does make more sense. *This sort of thing
> I'm really not up on so a little help is always appreciated...
>
> Thanks again
>
> --
> Cheers!
>
> Dennis
>
> Remove 'ElleKabong' to reply

I'd try 1/8 and 1/4 cup of cream per lb of chocolate. See how each
comes out and use these results to guide you towards the final desired
result. Plus they do not have to be wasted batches! Add them back in
to your final large batch, allowing for the cream content of the test
batches of course.

Or just eat them! That's the nice thing about candy making mistakes,
they are usually still delicious!

PS: chop up the chocolate first. Melts more quickly that way.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 2:50*pm, Ruddell > wrote:
> Dumb question probably but I don't really know what to do. *I want to buy a
> fairly large block of chocolate and melt it to fit a mold. *While it's
> melted, what can I mix in to make it less denser so it will cut with a knife
> easily?
>
> I think I said that right and I hope you all got it...

Heavy cream and/or parafin wax. Can one still get blocks of white
parafin for sealing jam jars? Ib not, sabbath candles will do (make
sure to pull the wick out of the melted candle).

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 3, 10:14*am, Jerry Avins > wrote:
> On May 2, 2:50*pm, Ruddell > wrote:
>
> > Dumb question probably but I don't really know what to do. *I want to buy a
> > fairly large block of chocolate and melt it to fit a mold. *While it's
> > melted, what can I mix in to make it less denser so it will cut with a knife
> > easily?

> > I think I said that right and I hope you all got it...

> Heavy cream and/or parafin wax. Can one still get blocks of white
> parafin for sealing jam jars? Ib not, sabbath candles will do (make
> sure to pull the wick out of the melted candle).
>
> Jerry
> --
> Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.

Paraffin wax??!! ICK!!!! No WAY! I'd not put that in MY mouth!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 3, 11:40*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On May 3, 10:14*am, Jerry Avins > wrote:
>

> > On May 2, 2:50*pm, Ruddell > wrote:

> > > Dumb question probably but I don't really know what to do. *I want to buy a
> > > fairly large block of chocolate and melt it to fit a mold. *While it's
> > > melted, what can I mix in to make it less denser so it will cut with a knife
> > > easily?

> > > I think I said that right and I hope you all got it...

> > Heavy cream and/or parafin wax. Can one still get blocks of white
> > parafin for sealing jam jars? Ib not, sabbath candles will do (make
> > sure to pull the wick out of the melted candle).

> > Jerry
> > --
> > Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.

> Paraffin wax??!! ICK!!!! No WAY! I'd not put that in MY mouth!
>
> John Kuthe...

You regularly do with chocolate confections. Have you read many
chocolate recipes?

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 3, 10:46*am, Jerry Avins > wrote:
> On May 3, 11:40*am, John Kuthe > wrote:

> > > Heavy cream and/or parafin wax. Can one still get blocks of white
> > > parafin for sealing jam jars? Ib not, sabbath candles will do (make
> > > sure to pull the wick out of the melted candle).

> > > Jerry
> > > --
> > > Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> Jerry Avins > wrote:
>
>> Heavy cream and/or parafin wax. Can one still get blocks of white
>> parafin for sealing jam jars? Ib not, sabbath candles will do (make
>> sure to pull the wick out of the melted candle).

> Paraffin wax??!! ICK!!!! No WAY! I'd not put that in MY mouth!

So I take it you don't eat regular milk chocolate bars from the store
then.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 3, 11:25*am, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> > Jerry Avins > wrote:

> >> Heavy cream and/or parafin wax. Can one still get blocks of white
> >> parafin for sealing jam jars? Ib not, sabbath candles will do (make
> >> sure to pull the wick out of the melted candle).

> > Paraffin wax??!! ICK!!!! No WAY! I'd not put that in MY mouth!

> So I take it you don't eat regular milk chocolate bars from the store
> then.

Not generally. I don't care for milk chocolate.

My recent fave is this 65% Organic Free Trade couverature chocolate
from Chocoley.com:

http://www.chocoley.com/FairTradeOrganic.htm

No paraffin in this stuff!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 2 May 2011 13:37:52 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
>> Cream. Basically make a very thick ganashe or truffle center. I use
>> 1/2 cup of cream per 1 lb of chocolate for my truffles. Maybe cut
>> that down to 1/4 cup cream or less per lb of chocolate for a large
>> moldable chocolate thing.

> Listen to John. He makes a lot of candy.

No. Listen to me. I make it professionally.

Do not add cream to chocolate if you wish to make molded shapes. Ganache
will not release from a mold. It is somewhat possible that you can make
molded ganache shapes using a silicone mold--I've never used one--but it
will not work with professional or hobby grade molds made of plastic or
polycarbonate.

Instead, consider lining a mold with a thin layer of tempered chocolate,
letting is harden, then filling the cavity with ganache, letting it set up,
and skim coating the bottom with tempered chocolate. Let this set up until
it releses from the mold when inverted and tapped on a hard surface.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jerry Avins wrote:
> On May 3, 11:40 am, John Kuthe > wrote:

>>> Heavy cream and/or parafin wax. Can one still get blocks of white
>>> parafin for sealing jam jars? Ib not, sabbath candles will do (make
>>> sure to pull the wick out of the melted candle).

>>> Jerry
>>> --
>>> Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can
>>> get.

>> Paraffin wax??!! ICK!!!! No WAY! I'd not put that in MY mouth!
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> You regularly do with chocolate confections. Have you read many
> chocolate recipes?
>
> Jerry

No good recipe includes wax. Wax was used in the past my amateur candy
makers to avoid having to temper the chocolate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
>> Jerry Avins > wrote:
>>
>>> Heavy cream and/or parafin wax. Can one still get blocks of white
>>> parafin for sealing jam jars? Ib not, sabbath candles will do (make
>>> sure to pull the wick out of the melted candle).

>> Paraffin wax??!! ICK!!!! No WAY! I'd not put that in MY mouth!

> So I take it you don't eat regular milk chocolate bars from the store
> then.

Decent milk chocolate does not contain wax.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> Paraffin wax??!! ICK!!!! No WAY! I'd not put that in MY mouth!
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> You regularly do with chocolate confections. Have you read many
> chocolate recipes?

My mother used to make various types of chocolate covered goodies and
put paraffin wax in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-05-03, Dave Smith > wrote:

> My mother used to make various types of chocolate covered goodies and
> put paraffin wax in it.

Kids used to chew on tar, parafin lips filled with sugar water, not to
mention rub liquid mecury on coins. That doesn't mean it was safe or
a good idea.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 3, 6:10*pm, "Janet" > wrote:
> sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 May 2011 13:37:52 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > > wrote:

> >> Cream. Basically make a very thick ganashe or truffle center. I use
> >> 1/2 cup of cream per 1 lb of chocolate for my truffles. *Maybe cut
> >> that down to 1/4 cup cream or less per lb of chocolate for a large
> >> moldable chocolate thing.

> > Listen to John. *He makes a lot of candy.

> No. Listen to me. I make it professionally.
>
> Do not add cream to chocolate if you wish to make molded shapes. Ganache
> will not release from a mold. It is somewhat possible that you can make
> molded ganache shapes using a silicone mold--I've never used one--but it
> will not work with professional or hobby grade molds made of plastic or
> polycarbonate.
>
> Instead, consider lining a mold with a thin layer of tempered chocolate,
> letting is harden, then filling the cavity with ganache, letting it set up,
> and skim coating the bottom with tempered chocolate. Let this set up until
> it releses from the mold when inverted and tapped on a hard surface.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. A ganache will NOT release from
a mold. I forgot about that. When I make my ganache for truffle
centers, I pour the liquid ganache into a plastic film lined baking
sheet, then refrigerate until firm. Then I remove it, and the plastic
film releases from the baking sheet, and is easily peeled off the
ganache.

Could you line the mold with plastic film, AKA Saran Wrap? That would
work.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 May 2011 19:10:42 -0400, "Janet" >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 May 2011 13:37:52 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Cream. Basically make a very thick ganashe or truffle center. I use
> >> 1/2 cup of cream per 1 lb of chocolate for my truffles. Maybe cut
> >> that down to 1/4 cup cream or less per lb of chocolate for a large
> >> moldable chocolate thing.

> > Listen to John. He makes a lot of candy.

> No. Listen to me. I make it professionally.
>
> Do not add cream to chocolate if you wish to make molded shapes. Ganache
> will not release from a mold. It is somewhat possible that you can make
> molded ganache shapes using a silicone mold--I've never used one--but it
> will not work with professional or hobby grade molds made of plastic or
> polycarbonate.
>
> Instead, consider lining a mold with a thin layer of tempered chocolate,
> letting is harden, then filling the cavity with ganache, letting it set up,
> and skim coating the bottom with tempered chocolate. Let this set up until
> it releses from the mold when inverted and tapped on a hard surface.

Does this mean you've outted yourself and we now have someone to ask
candy questions of?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-05-10, Janet > wrote:

> the amateur reader is not going to be able or willing to temper chocolate
> for dipping.

My brewing mentor's wife is a professional chocolatier. She has a
$10K chocolate temperer!

> (That is also the reason for adding parrafin to chocolate.

I'll ask her about that. Never heard of it, myself, but then never
knew one could even spend $10K on a chocolate temperer. :|

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2011-05-10, Janet > wrote:
>
>> the amateur reader is not going to be able or willing to temper
>> chocolate for dipping.

> My brewing mentor's wife is a professional chocolatier. She has a
> $10K chocolate temperer!
>
>> (That is also the reason for adding parrafin to chocolate.

> I'll ask her about that. Never heard of it, myself, but then never
> knew one could even spend $10K on a chocolate temperer. :|
>
> nb

I have three tempering machines--one for each color--although none of them
cost $10K! It is certainly the case that for maximum productivity with no
starting and stopping one could use equipment that costs $10K or far more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-05-10, Janet > wrote:

> cost $10K! It is certainly the case that for maximum productivity with no
> starting and stopping one could use equipment that costs $10K or far more.

No disrespect to my buddy, but he and his misses were never ones to
go cheap on anything. I doubt she ever remotely approached 1K pcs of
chocolate in a week! ...but they both did their best at a choco/cafe
and finally went under. More the economy than their efforts, I have
no doubt. I was jes shocked one could spend that much money on such a
device. I mean... crap!... it jes warms chocolate, not creates it!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 10, 5:13*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-05-10, Janet > wrote:
>
> > cost $10K! It is certainly the case that for maximum productivity with no
> > starting and stopping one could use equipment that costs $10K or far more.

> No disrespect to my buddy, but he and his misses were never ones to
> go cheap on anything. *I doubt she ever remotely approached 1K pcs of
> chocolate in a week! ...but they both did their best at a choco/cafe
> and finally went under. *More the economy than their efforts, I have
> no doubt. *I was jes shocked one could spend that much money on such a
> device. *I mean... crap!... it jes warms chocolate, not creates it!

A tempering machine will temper untempered chocolate, a very carefully
temperature controlled process. It does not simply warm the chocolate.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

<snip>

> A tempering machine will temper untempered chocolate, a very carefully
> temperature controlled process. It does not simply warm the chocolate.
>
> John Kuthe...

That is correct. Moreover, it will KEEP it in temper. FWIW, the ACMC
Tabletop Temperer costs about $800 and does a great job. It also has parts
that you can replace yourself. Mine has been in use since 2001, and in that
time I've gone through several motors and other parts. The small Hilliard
machines cost more--maybe $1200+, I can't recall--and also do a great job.
If your friends were producing small quantities and spent $10K, I think they
may have seriously overspent.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 13, 7:08*pm, "Janet" > wrote:
> An instant-read digital thermometer is a must in all this, and must be used
> continuously while you are tempering and dipping. They are sensitive in the
> range you'll need (roughly 80-110F).

No it's not. I use only a glass bowl, wire dipping loop and a
microwave to produce this:

http://oi55.tinypic.com/244pkch.jpg

Can you see much variance in that sheet of hand dipped cherries? I've
gotten quite good at this over the years. It takes a long time like I
said, but...

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On May 13, 7:08 pm, "Janet" > wrote:
>> An instant-read digital thermometer is a must in all this, and must
>> be used continuously while you are tempering and dipping. They are
>> sensitive in the range you'll need (roughly 80-110F).

> No it's not. I use only a glass bowl, wire dipping loop and a
> microwave to produce this:
>
> http://oi55.tinypic.com/244pkch.jpg
>
> Can you see much variance in that sheet of hand dipped cherries? I've
> gotten quite good at this over the years. It takes a long time like I
> said, but...
>
> John Kuthe...

Yes, someone who has a lot of experience may not need a thermometer. But the
point is that advice was asked specifically for a person who wants to
produce only occasional batches.

Were you using couverture, or the chocoley product? If it is so simple, why
did you switch to a coating product?

From the picture you were still dipping the batch. Many surface flaws show
up hours or a day later.

In any case, you can eat your mistakes. If they were going to be displayed
in a case at a retail establishment, having them be non-streaky most of the
time just isn't good enough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
<snip>

> YOU are the only single solitary person who in over 25 years I have
> ever heard of complaining about the compound coating I use on most of
> my Christmas Candy, Bryan. I think that speaks for itself.

Maybe it means your friends are polite. <G>

> Like I said, I sampled several no-temper compound coatings several
> years back, and Chocoley.com's Bada Bing Bada Boom was the best I
> found. IMHO it's really good! I'm sticking with it. Peel it off if it
> offends you so. It's not the star of the show anyway, it's just the
> enrobing coating.
>
> John Kuthe...

It's great that you've found an easy-to-use product that you like. Frankly,
most people can't tell what they are eating anyway. But *I* know what
ingredients I am using. That's what matters to me.