General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 17-03-2004, 01:27 AM
John Gaughan
 
Posts: n/a
Default Cook books

Is anyone interested in some older cook books for free? I just went
through my collection of books, paring down to the ones that I will
actually use.

The books are okay, in fact there are a couple good ones in there like
the Stouffer and Pepperidge farm cook books. The rest are a mixture of
Mexican and Latin American books, Italian, Colonial American, bread, and
desserts. I just do not need ten books on the same cuisine, so I picked
one or two that have recipes that interest me and want to give away the
rest.

Please do not flame me for spamming, this is not business related and I
do not want to make money from it, hence the "free" part. I just want to
find a good home for these books, some of which have been in my family
for a long time. I just do not need an entire shelf full of cook books.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/


  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 17-03-2004, 01:47 AM
PENMART01
 
Posts: n/a
Default Cook books

John Gaughan writes:

Is anyone interested in some older cook books for free? I just went
through my collection of books, paring down to the ones that I will
actually use.

The books are okay, in fact there are a couple good ones in there like
the Stouffer and Pepperidge farm cook books. The rest are a mixture of
Mexican and Latin American books, Italian, Colonial American, bread, and
desserts. I just do not need ten books on the same cuisine, so I picked
one or two that have recipes that interest me and want to give away the
rest.

Please do not flame me for spamming, this is not business related and I
do not want to make money from it, hence the "free" part. I just want to
find a good home for these books, some of which have been in my family
for a long time. I just do not need an entire shelf full of cook books.


Considering you're making a public offer and several people will likely want
your cookbooks, for the sake of justice you may want to consider some sort of
lottery, whereas no one gets more than one book.... or simply auction the
entire lot to the highest bidder, with the opening bid covering the cost of
shipping.


---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````
"Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 17-03-2004, 01:47 AM
PENMART01
 
Posts: n/a
Default Cook books

John Gaughan writes:

Is anyone interested in some older cook books for free? I just went
through my collection of books, paring down to the ones that I will
actually use.

The books are okay, in fact there are a couple good ones in there like
the Stouffer and Pepperidge farm cook books. The rest are a mixture of
Mexican and Latin American books, Italian, Colonial American, bread, and
desserts. I just do not need ten books on the same cuisine, so I picked
one or two that have recipes that interest me and want to give away the
rest.

Please do not flame me for spamming, this is not business related and I
do not want to make money from it, hence the "free" part. I just want to
find a good home for these books, some of which have been in my family
for a long time. I just do not need an entire shelf full of cook books.


Considering you're making a public offer and several people will likely want
your cookbooks, for the sake of justice you may want to consider some sort of
lottery, whereas no one gets more than one book.... or simply auction the
entire lot to the highest bidder, with the opening bid covering the cost of
shipping.


---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````
"Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 17-03-2004, 03:00 PM
Darrell Grainger
 
Posts: n/a
Default Cook books

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, John Gaughan wrote:

Is anyone interested in some older cook books for free? I just went
through my collection of books, paring down to the ones that I will
actually use.

The books are okay, in fact there are a couple good ones in there like
the Stouffer and Pepperidge farm cook books. The rest are a mixture of
Mexican and Latin American books, Italian, Colonial American, bread, and
desserts. I just do not need ten books on the same cuisine, so I picked
one or two that have recipes that interest me and want to give away the
rest.

Please do not flame me for spamming, this is not business related and I
do not want to make money from it, hence the "free" part. I just want to
find a good home for these books, some of which have been in my family
for a long time. I just do not need an entire shelf full of cook books.


How about donating them to a local library system? I just moved into a new
place. As I unpacked my books I realized I never use some of them so I put
them in a box and will drop them off at a local library when I get a
chance.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/



--
Send e-mail to: darrell at cs dot toronto dot edu
Don't send e-mail to

  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 17-03-2004, 03:00 PM
Darrell Grainger
 
Posts: n/a
Default Cook books

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, John Gaughan wrote:

Is anyone interested in some older cook books for free? I just went
through my collection of books, paring down to the ones that I will
actually use.

The books are okay, in fact there are a couple good ones in there like
the Stouffer and Pepperidge farm cook books. The rest are a mixture of
Mexican and Latin American books, Italian, Colonial American, bread, and
desserts. I just do not need ten books on the same cuisine, so I picked
one or two that have recipes that interest me and want to give away the
rest.

Please do not flame me for spamming, this is not business related and I
do not want to make money from it, hence the "free" part. I just want to
find a good home for these books, some of which have been in my family
for a long time. I just do not need an entire shelf full of cook books.


How about donating them to a local library system? I just moved into a new
place. As I unpacked my books I realized I never use some of them so I put
them in a box and will drop them off at a local library when I get a
chance.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/



--
Send e-mail to: darrell at cs dot toronto dot edu
Don't send e-mail to



  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 17-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Julia Altshuler
 
Posts: n/a
Default Cook books

Darrell Grainger wrote:


How about donating them to a local library system? I just moved into a new
place. As I unpacked my books I realized I never use some of them so I put
them in a box and will drop them off at a local library when I get a
chance.



This is a good idea. Remember, however, that your local library will
sell your books at their next Friends of the Library book sale. They
won't put them on the library shelves to circulate. (There are
complicated reasons for why this is so. There are also exceptions so
don't nitpick.) I like the idea of donating to the library because the
library makes a few needed dollars, and the books land in the hands of
someone who will appreciate them.

--Lia

  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 17-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Julia Altshuler
 
Posts: n/a
Default Cook books

Darrell Grainger wrote:


How about donating them to a local library system? I just moved into a new
place. As I unpacked my books I realized I never use some of them so I put
them in a box and will drop them off at a local library when I get a
chance.



This is a good idea. Remember, however, that your local library will
sell your books at their next Friends of the Library book sale. They
won't put them on the library shelves to circulate. (There are
complicated reasons for why this is so. There are also exceptions so
don't nitpick.) I like the idea of donating to the library because the
library makes a few needed dollars, and the books land in the hands of
someone who will appreciate them.

--Lia

  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 17-03-2004, 08:50 PM
John Gaughan
 
Posts: n/a
Default Cook books

Julia Altshuler wrote:
I like the idea of donating to the library because the library makes
a few needed dollars, and the books land in the hands of someone who
will appreciate them.


Whatever RFC'ers do not take I will donate to a library. My goal is to
get them in the hands of people who will appreciate them, be they RFC
denizens or local people at a library sale. RFC gets first crack at them
though.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 17-03-2004, 08:50 PM
John Gaughan
 
Posts: n/a
Default Cook books

Julia Altshuler wrote:
I like the idea of donating to the library because the library makes
a few needed dollars, and the books land in the hands of someone who
will appreciate them.


Whatever RFC'ers do not take I will donate to a library. My goal is to
get them in the hands of people who will appreciate them, be they RFC
denizens or local people at a library sale. RFC gets first crack at them
though.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-03-2004, 03:05 AM
Chris
 
Posts: n/a
Default Cook books

Julia Altshuler wrote in message news:[email protected]_s52...
Darrell Grainger wrote:


How about donating them to a local library system? I just moved into a new
place. As I unpacked my books I realized I never use some of them so I put
them in a box and will drop them off at a local library when I get a
chance.



This is a good idea. Remember, however, that your local library will
sell your books at their next Friends of the Library book sale. They
won't put them on the library shelves to circulate. (There are
complicated reasons for why this is so. There are also exceptions so
don't nitpick.) I like the idea of donating to the library because the
library makes a few needed dollars, and the books land in the hands of
someone who will appreciate them.

--Lia


This is so true. And if you volunteer to help with your local library
book sale, you usually get first pick!

- Chris
---
http://www.sudairy.com/


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-03-2004, 03:05 AM
Chris
 
Posts: n/a
Default Cook books

Julia Altshuler wrote in message news:[email protected]_s52...
Darrell Grainger wrote:


How about donating them to a local library system? I just moved into a new
place. As I unpacked my books I realized I never use some of them so I put
them in a box and will drop them off at a local library when I get a
chance.



This is a good idea. Remember, however, that your local library will
sell your books at their next Friends of the Library book sale. They
won't put them on the library shelves to circulate. (There are
complicated reasons for why this is so. There are also exceptions so
don't nitpick.) I like the idea of donating to the library because the
library makes a few needed dollars, and the books land in the hands of
someone who will appreciate them.

--Lia


This is so true. And if you volunteer to help with your local library
book sale, you usually get first pick!

- Chris
---
http://www.sudairy.com/
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-03-2004, 01:36 PM
John Gaughan
 
Posts: n/a
Default Cook books

Several of you guys emailed me. I am not ignoring you. I have a major
issue on my plate to take care of right now and sending out cookbooks is
a lower priority. Also, when I ask "which books do you want?" and three
of you say "all of them!" something has to give. Be specific. Which two
or three books interest you most? Also, between the cost of the shipping
materials and the USPS, I estimate shipping to be $5-$10 depending on
the size/weight of the books. PayPal, checks, and money orders are fine.
I prefer PayPal.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-03-2004, 01:36 PM
John Gaughan
 
Posts: n/a
Default Cook books

Several of you guys emailed me. I am not ignoring you. I have a major
issue on my plate to take care of right now and sending out cookbooks is
a lower priority. Also, when I ask "which books do you want?" and three
of you say "all of them!" something has to give. Be specific. Which two
or three books interest you most? Also, between the cost of the shipping
materials and the USPS, I estimate shipping to be $5-$10 depending on
the size/weight of the books. PayPal, checks, and money orders are fine.
I prefer PayPal.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to cook books Catfood Chef General Cooking 5 08-05-2021 03:40 AM
Cook books Classic Man General Cooking 0 16-12-2009 10:41 PM
Inflation and cook books. James Silverton[_2_] General Cooking 1 10-03-2009 11:24 PM
... COOK BOOKS ... cookbooks Marketplace 0 25-11-2003 08:21 PM
COOK BOOKS cookbooks Marketplace 0 10-11-2003 04:59 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017