Phyllis Stone

Default reheating meat

if I have cooked a roast outside on the grill and bring it in and put it in
the refrigerator, slice it and want to reheat the slices, how do I keep the
juices inside the meat? Should I do it in the oven? On low or High? Should I
broil it? I usually put slices in an oven mod. and cover with foil. It is
never as tender as it was before I reheated it. Is there a good way to do
this?

Sam D.

"Phyllis Stone" > wrote in message
om...
> if I have cooked a roast outside on the grill and bring it in and

put it in
> the refrigerator, slice it and want to reheat the slices, how do I

keep the
> juices inside the meat? Should I do it in the oven? On low or High?

Should I
> broil it? I usually put slices in an oven mod. and cover with foil.

It is
> never as tender as it was before I reheated it. Is there a good way

to do
> this?

I think it is difficult to get good results in the oven or stovetop.
And the microwave will destroy it.

I got this tip from another food site.for when you want to reheat
leftover beef but still maintain the same level of doneness, e.g.,
medium-rare, as much as possible. The original post was intended for
leftover standing rib roast but I found that it also works well for
leftover steak and other beef just as well.

Wrap the leftover rib roast (or other beef) twice in plastic wrap,
then once in aluminum foil, then place it into the steamer. The length
of time will depend on the portion size.

Shawn Hearn

In article >,
"Phyllis Stone" > wrote:

> if I have cooked a roast outside on the grill and bring it in and put it in
> the refrigerator, slice it and want to reheat the slices, how do I keep the
> juices inside the meat? Should I do it in the oven? On low or High? Should I
> broil it? I usually put slices in an oven mod. and cover with foil. It is
> never as tender as it was before I reheated it. Is there a good way to do
> this?

This is the perfect job for a microwave oven, but if you won't have a
microwave oven, reheating roast beef can be done in a pan over low heat
with enough gravy to cover the meat.
Stan Horwitz

In article >,
"Sam D." > wrote:

> "Phyllis Stone" > wrote in message
> om...
> > if I have cooked a roast outside on the grill and bring it in and

> put it in
> > the refrigerator, slice it and want to reheat the slices, how do I

> keep the
> > juices inside the meat? Should I do it in the oven? On low or High?

> Should I
> > broil it? I usually put slices in an oven mod. and cover with foil.

> It is
> > never as tender as it was before I reheated it. Is there a good way

> to do
> > this?

> I think it is difficult to get good results in the oven or stovetop.
> And the microwave will destroy it.

On the contrary, a microwave oven is a great way to reheat roast beef.
You slice the roast beef and then just nuke on the 50% power setting for
a minute or two. The meat will not dry out by reheating this way.
Reheating on 100% power would probably dry out roast beef, but not 50%
power for a minute or two.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Sam D." > wrote in message

> "Phyllis Stone" > wrote in message
> om...
>> if I have cooked a roast outside on the grill and bring it in and

> put it in
>> the refrigerator, slice it and want to reheat the slices, how do I

> keep the
>> juices inside the meat?

> I think it is difficult to get good results in the oven or stovetop.
> And the microwave will destroy it.

The MW will only destroy it if you are careless. Use a medium power setting
for the proper time and it will be perfect. Depending on the thickness, the
time may be 1 1/2 to 3 minutes. I do it all the time with excellent
results. You are re-heating, not cooking the damned thing. I do it on rib
roasts and it is as pink as it came off the rotisserie or from the oven.

Peter Aitken

"Phyllis Stone" > wrote in message
om...
> if I have cooked a roast outside on the grill and bring it in and put it
> in the refrigerator, slice it and want to reheat the slices, how do I keep
> the juices inside the meat? Should I do it in the oven? On low or High?
> Should I broil it? I usually put slices in an oven mod. and cover with
> foil. It is never as tender as it was before I reheated it. Is there a
> good way to do this?

In my experience, reheated meat as you describe is never as good as before.
If it's at all possible, cook it when you need it.

--
Peter Aitken

Sam D.

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
om...

> The MW will only destroy it if you are careless. Use a medium power

setting
> for the proper time and it will be perfect. Depending on the

thickness, the
> time may be 1 1/2 to 3 minutes. I do it all the time with excellent
> results. You are re-heating, not cooking the damned thing. I do it

on rib
> roasts and it is as pink as it came off the rotisserie or from the

oven.

Your experience is different from mine. I have actually done this in
the MW exactly as you describe. I found that even when the meat is
barely reheated and retains the same pinkness, there is a notceable
change in the flavor.

Bob (this one)

Phyllis Stone wrote:

> if I have cooked a roast outside on the grill and bring it in and put it in
> the refrigerator, slice it and want to reheat the slices, how do I keep the
> juices inside the meat? Should I do it in the oven? On low or High? Should I
> broil it? I usually put slices in an oven mod. and cover with foil. It is
> never as tender as it was before I reheated it. Is there a good way to do
> this?

Restaurant secret.

Wrap the meat in a layer of lettuce leaves. Mike it for maybe 20
seconds. Turn it over and do it again. See how it feels to you. If it
needs more heat, repeat, but be warned that the more times you do it,
the more cooked it will become.

Pastorio

Louis Cohen

Phyllis Stone wrote:
> if I have cooked a roast outside on the grill and bring it in and put it in
> the refrigerator, slice it and want to reheat the slices, how do I keep the
> juices inside the meat? Should I do it in the oven? On low or High? Should I
> broil it? I usually put slices in an oven mod. and cover with foil. It is
> never as tender as it was before I reheated it. Is there a good way to do
> this?

One alternative is to vacuum seal the meat using something like a
FoodSaver (www.tilia.com). The meat reheats nicely in the bag in the
microwave or in a pot of hot water.

If you are cooking for later, you might pull the meat a bit underdone to
allow for reheating. Also, reheating may work better with a gravy or
BBQ sauce. Or eat the leftovers cold in sandwiches or something like a
Thai beef salad. Or put it into pho, or pasta sauce.

Regards

Louis Cohen

"Yes, yes, I will desalinate you, you grande morue!"

Émile Zola, Assommoir 1877

reheating beef rosie@readandpost[_2_] General Cooking 33 06-01-2011 10:30 PM
Food for Reheating Later jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 0 22-04-2010 01:48 PM
Reheating Meat Pies Bob Simon General Cooking 8 04-03-2008 02:00 PM
Reheating ham Mitch General Cooking 93 07-07-2007 06:23 PM
reheating tri-tip [email protected] Barbecue 2 09-06-2005 11:49 PM