Gabby

Default I only eat - uh - normal stuff

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in message
> It's amazing to me how many excuses people can make for doing
> a shitty job and being lazy. "I'm getting paid minimum wage so it's OK if

> do a crap job." Have some pride in your work and yourself (that's a

general
> "your"), for god sake.
>
> rona

I look at it this way: Even a minimum wage job will get you a good reference
if you do it well.

Gabby

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Gabby" > wrote in message

> I look at it this way: Even a minimum wage job will get you a good

reference
> if you do it well.
>
> Gabby

And even promote you if you do well! Or give you a bad reference if you do
a crappy job! Right now I'm working with under-employed youths in a
training program (they're placed in federal government internships). Many
of them don't even have a basic understanding of proper behaviour on the
job--like showing up to work on time or calling if they're going to be late
or absent. It's very frustrating. But there are the wonderful few who do
so well, they are hired as permanent federal government staff after their
internships. For them, going from no job and no work experience to a
minimum wage internship is quite a feat, but then moving on to a very
well-paying federal government job is an amazing accomplishment! But you
just don't get that by doing the least amount of work possible and by
showing no initiative whatsoever.

rona

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Gabby" > wrote in message

> I look at it this way: Even a minimum wage job will get you a good

reference
> if you do it well.
>
> Gabby

And even promote you if you do well! Or give you a bad reference if you do
a crappy job! Right now I'm working with under-employed youths in a
training program (they're placed in federal government internships). Many
of them don't even have a basic understanding of proper behaviour on the
job--like showing up to work on time or calling if they're going to be late
or absent. It's very frustrating. But there are the wonderful few who do
so well, they are hired as permanent federal government staff after their
internships. For them, going from no job and no work experience to a
minimum wage internship is quite a feat, but then moving on to a very
well-paying federal government job is an amazing accomplishment! But you
just don't get that by doing the least amount of work possible and by
showing no initiative whatsoever.

rona

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Default I only eat - uh - normal stuff (warning: rant)

"Lynne" > wrote in message
> To this day I can not understand how any American high school graduate
> can not know what a lime looks like. Confuse pepper varieties? True, not
> even people who probably should know, can. Cilantro vs. parsley? Happens
> every day. Not saying it doesn't bother me.. Because after 14 years I'm
> still teaching my poor dh how to differentiate the latter, who has bought
> and used (and grown!) them for as long as I have. Tsk!

Have I ever mentioned the 27-year old university graduate I worked with who
did not know what a citrus fruit was? This person was employed by the
federal government yet couldn't even name a citrus fruit to save her life.

rona

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Lynne" > wrote in message
> To this day I can not understand how any American high school graduate
> can not know what a lime looks like. Confuse pepper varieties? True, not
> even people who probably should know, can. Cilantro vs. parsley? Happens
> every day. Not saying it doesn't bother me.. Because after 14 years I'm
> still teaching my poor dh how to differentiate the latter, who has bought
> and used (and grown!) them for as long as I have. Tsk!

Have I ever mentioned the 27-year old university graduate I worked with who
did not know what a citrus fruit was? This person was employed by the
federal government yet couldn't even name a citrus fruit to save her life.

rona

JBSummer

>> I only eat - uh - normal stuff.

You ought to see their reaction when I buy potted meat, deviled ham, and Vienna
sausages.
kalanamak

Default modom's bona fides (was: I only eat - uh - normal stuff)

modom wrote:

> This doesn't seem to follow. You are talking to an imaginary modom,
> not me.

Our petit cuisses de grenouille has a tendency to grab the odd subject
(even more oddly, having to do with grocery stores as a rule) and get
all het up about it, while twisting his/her knickers up with a
steadfastly incorrectible misinterpretation. One is reminded of the old
story of the man who's right leg has a fight with his left.
A for apatheic people working in stores, there are mouth-breathers in
many public service jobs. They serve as a reminder to count one's lucky
stars.
blacksalt
Ob Food:
I modified this favourite recipe (due to a lack of sesame oil) by using
champagne vinegar, toasted walnut oil and italian parsley. It was
polished off, and 5 people asked for the recipe.
<begin paste of recipe>
> This is From the Earth by Eileen Yin-Fei Lo. She claims it a Cantonese
> dish. Not only does it use the yams raw, it was very refreshing. It will
> be a frequent repeater for me.
>
> 1 1/4 lb sweet taters or yams
> Peel, wash and dry. Cut in half lengthwise and put the flat side down
> and then cut downward to make thin strips (3/16th was my goal), and cut
> these into 2 inch lengths. I put this in something tupperwarish, poured
> over 3 T brown rice vinegar (rec says white vinegar), 1 teas dark
> sesame oil, 1 1/2 T sugar and a teas. of salt. Marinate overnight,
> shaking once or twice and toss with fresh coriander (she says 1 teas
> chopped, I used 2 T and left them leaves just pulled off the stems), and
> serve cool.

Frogleg

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:58:02 -0800, kalanamak >
wrote:

>modom wrote:
>
>> This doesn't seem to follow. You are talking to an imaginary modom,
>> not me.

>Our petit cuisses de grenouille has a tendency to grab the odd subject
>(even more oddly, having to do with grocery stores as a rule) and get
>all het up about it, while twisting his/her knickers up with a
>steadfastly incorrectible misinterpretation. One is reminded of the old
>story of the man who's right leg has a fight with his left.
>A for apatheic people working in stores, there are mouth-breathers in
>many public service jobs. They serve as a reminder to count one's lucky
>stars.

Please don't condescend in French. Many don't understand this. (BTW,
it's cuisse de grenouille -- singular). My objections come up both in
connection with grocery store (clerks) and restaurants (wait staff).
This group often produces long threads of anecdotal material to
illustrate how stupid, rude, lazy, uninformed, and generally
sub-normal those in service jobs are. Particularly in contrast to
their own dear enlightened, meticulously polite, graceful, and
discriminating selves. This is, indeed, one of the things that pushes
my buttons. And I am consistently surprised at how little support my
position ever gets. I have certainly experienced bad and exasperating
service. I just don't think it's fair to infer an entire character
from one 5-minute encounter.

As for misinterpretation, I cut this from another of my posts on the
subject --

>"...tried in vain to look up my veggies..."
>"Her tragic look..."
>"...bar code to the rescue!..."
>"I pipe cheerfully.... She searched and searched."
>"...her eyes grow sheets of Plexiglass and her posture displays the
>same lack of attention I've seen in a dachshund with a full belly."
>"The dear child at the register..."

Think about it this way. Would *you* like to be so described? Is there
a gentler, or at least less personal way to put this? "I can't believe
a store clerk wouldn't know the difference between a lime and a kiwi"
would generate a lively enough thread. In this benighted corner of
Virginia, I nearly always have to explain an artichoke to *somebody*,
incl. other customers. I don't take it as a signal the questioner is a
cretin.

Lynne

<eyeroll>
Makes you wonder what cave these people lived in. Surprising if they didn't
have rickets and scurvy.

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in message
> Have I ever mentioned the 27-year old university graduate I worked with

who
> did not know what a citrus fruit was? This person was employed by the
> federal government yet couldn't even name a citrus fruit to save her life.
>
> rona
> --
> ***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the inconvenience!***

Default User

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

> And even promote you if you do well! Or give you a bad reference if you do
> a crappy job!

These days, most companies won't give bad references because they are
afraid of being sued. They merely confirm dates of employment, positions
held, and other factual stuff.

Brian Rodenborn
notbob

On 2004-03-08, modom > wrote:

> Why do people who don't like food work in food stores?

Probably for the same reason people shop in food stores ...to live.

Seriously, I have a theory about food luddites. I figure they're just taste
bud challenged. Just like you have "super tasters" (discussed here before),
you have the other end of the spectrum. People who have been biologically
saddled with a shortage of taste buds. I think these people really can't
appreciate the differences in more exotic fare. To them, it's down to
texture. Haven't you ever heard someone say, "Eeeooww, I hate the texture
of_______(fill in blank)"? Let's face it, if you can't taste it, why
bother?

nb
Dan Abel

In article >, Frogleg
> wrote:

> >Frogleg wrote:
> >>And I thought long and hard about it, too. It's the first time I've
> >>ever made an ad hominem attack in a newsgroup.

> female. The tone of lordly superiority at the clerk's failure to rise

Aha, now we have it! It was his tone of voice that did it. One of the
biggest barriers to communication on newsgroups is the lack of non-written
signals. You have assumed that his writing style reflects what he thinks
about people.

You need to buy a new sense of humor. The old one is seriously broken.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Dan Abel

In article >, "Lynne"
> wrote:

> To this day I can not understand how any American high school graduate
> can not know what a lime looks like.

I can understand lots of ways. Living in a small town, Mommy and Daddy
don't like limes or just never got exposed to them. People on this group
are interested in food, so we keep our eyes open. People who aren't
interested in food (except as fuel) could easily pass through the produce
section a thousand times and never see the limes, or see them and not
bother to wonder what they are.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Nancy Young

Frogleg wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:54:23 -0500, Nancy Young

> >Frogleg wrote:

reading the situation far too
> >harshly. He didn't berate the woman or anything,

> "...tried in vain to look up my veggies..."
> "Her tragic look..."
> "...bar code to the rescue!..."
> "I pipe cheerfully.... She searched and searched."
> "...her eyes grow sheets of Plexiglass and her posture displays the
> same lack of attention I've seen in a dachshund with a full belly."
> "The dear child at the register..."

So? He wrote what he saw.

> He may not have told her she was an idiot to her face, but he held her
> up to ridicule to 'amuse' *us*.

I wasn't amused as much as interested.

> >Okay, I was taken aback, I thought, does this store not sell kiwis?
> >If she was at all curious, why not take a spin around the produce
> >aisle. I would! People here have mentioned many, MANY things that
> >I have made a point to seek out next time I was in the grocery store
> >so I'd know what they were talking about.

> Not to continue my role as attack frog, but how many times have you
> actually done that?

I said many, MANY.

> >Actually, it should, in my opinion, be mandatory for the checkout
> >people to have a pretty good knowledge of the produce available in
> >the store. It's part of their job to know what it is. They have
> >to check it out.

> >Now, Mike probably did not need to know what
> >happened elsewhere in the factory, it didn't impact his job. Apples
> >and oranges.

> But he *said* it was her lack of alertness and curiousity that peeved
> him so badly,

There you go again. He didn't seem in the least bit peeved.

> not that she was poorly trained. He says he's held
> McJobs, but doesn't mention *his* curiousity and interest in finding
> out all he could. That is, it's ok to have a crappy job during the
> summer and pay no attention because you're going to be back in school
> in the fall (I'm making assumptions here), but if you work at a McJob
> to survive, you *must* be bright and ambitious and curious. Apples and
> oranges, indeed.

Yes, he only needed to know how to glue boxes. The cashier needed to
know what an item was in order to check it out. The two situations
do not compare.

Besides, I've had many low wage jobs and I *always* went above and
beyond my job description. Minimum wage in high school, worked for
the NYC library system, if I ran out of my assigned work, I learned
how to repair books or run the projector for the movies they showed
or read shelves for a different section of the library. I could
have sat there and picked my teeth and still been paid. That's not
me. I have a good work ethic.

I would have known what limes were, and if I wondered what kiwis
were, I would have looked on my way out the door.

No wonder people complain about younger workers, seems it's become
okay for them to just go through the motions.

nancy

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Default User" > wrote in message

> These days, most companies won't give bad references because they are
> afraid of being sued. They merely confirm dates of employment, positions
> held, and other factual stuff.
>

> Brian Rodenborn

I live in Canada. Not as much suing going on, so employers are not as
afraid of giving you a bad reference (though a carefully-worded bad
reference).

rona

Goomba38

Nancy Young wrote:

> Besides, I've had many low wage jobs and I *always* went above and
> beyond my job description. Minimum wage in high school, worked for
> the NYC library system, if I ran out of my assigned work, I learned
> how to repair books or run the projector for the movies they showed
> or read shelves for a different section of the library.
> nancy

See? I *knew* there was a reason you were so good at handling the RFC
Cookbook! That HS experience bode you well.
Goomba

Goomba38

Nancy Young wrote:

> Besides, I've had many low wage jobs and I *always* went above and
> beyond my job description. Minimum wage in high school, worked for
> the NYC library system, if I ran out of my assigned work, I learned
> how to repair books or run the projector for the movies they showed
> or read shelves for a different section of the library.
> nancy

See? I *knew* there was a reason you were so good at handling the RFC
Cookbook! That HS experience bode you well.
Goomba

Frogleg

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:51:04 -0800, (Dan Abel) wrote:

>Frogleg > wrote:

>> The tone of lordly superiority at the clerk's failure to rise

>Aha, now we have it! It was his tone of voice that did it. One of the
>biggest barriers to communication on newsgroups is the lack of non-written
>signals. You have assumed that his writing style reflects what he thinks
>about people.

In the original msg and one follow-up:

>"...tried in vain to look up my veggies..."
>"Her tragic look..."
>"...bar code to the rescue!..."
>"I pipe cheerfully.... She searched and searched."
>"...her eyes grow sheets of Plexiglass and her posture displays the
>same lack of attention I've seen in a dachshund with a full belly."
>"The dear child at the register..."

I interpret this as a lordly tone of superiority.

>You need to buy a new sense of humor. The old one is seriously broken.

I certainly hope I will continue to be unamused by meanness and total
lack of empathy.

I don't understand why *I* am getting so much flak for this. Maybe I
should post a funny story about the deficiencies of someone who isn't
as bright or experienced as I am, making sure to demonstrate my own
superiority.

Nope. Can't do it. The first thing I thought of was when I made hummus
for a non-foodie friend. She asked what it was, and drew a blank when
I told her. Chickpeas and garbanzos, much less tahini also were not in
her frame of reference. I started on a dissertation of middle-eastern
food, and then stopped myself. "Bean dip," I said. "Very good bean
dip," she responded immediately. But this doesn't put *her* in a poor
light. *I* was the one trying to be a smarty-pants, and left with egg
(or bean dip) on my face.

If all of rfc thinks that making fun of what they fondly consider to
be inferiors is hilarious, I think it's not good company to be in.
Frogleg

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:51:04 -0800, (Dan Abel) wrote:

>Frogleg > wrote:

>> The tone of lordly superiority at the clerk's failure to rise

>Aha, now we have it! It was his tone of voice that did it. One of the
>biggest barriers to communication on newsgroups is the lack of non-written
>signals. You have assumed that his writing style reflects what he thinks
>about people.

In the original msg and one follow-up:

>"...tried in vain to look up my veggies..."
>"Her tragic look..."
>"...bar code to the rescue!..."
>"I pipe cheerfully.... She searched and searched."
>"...her eyes grow sheets of Plexiglass and her posture displays the
>same lack of attention I've seen in a dachshund with a full belly."
>"The dear child at the register..."

I interpret this as a lordly tone of superiority.

>You need to buy a new sense of humor. The old one is seriously broken.

I certainly hope I will continue to be unamused by meanness and total
lack of empathy.

I don't understand why *I* am getting so much flak for this. Maybe I
should post a funny story about the deficiencies of someone who isn't
as bright or experienced as I am, making sure to demonstrate my own
superiority.

Nope. Can't do it. The first thing I thought of was when I made hummus
for a non-foodie friend. She asked what it was, and drew a blank when
I told her. Chickpeas and garbanzos, much less tahini also were not in
her frame of reference. I started on a dissertation of middle-eastern
food, and then stopped myself. "Bean dip," I said. "Very good bean
dip," she responded immediately. But this doesn't put *her* in a poor
light. *I* was the one trying to be a smarty-pants, and left with egg
(or bean dip) on my face.

If all of rfc thinks that making fun of what they fondly consider to
be inferiors is hilarious, I think it's not good company to be in.

Goomba38

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >, "Lynne"
> > wrote:
>
> > To this day I can not understand how any American high school graduate
> > can not know what a lime looks like.

> I can understand lots of ways. Living in a small town, Mommy and Daddy
> don't like limes or just never got exposed to them. People on this group
> are interested in food, so we keep our eyes open. People who aren't
> interested in food (except as fuel) could easily pass through the produce
> section a thousand times and never see the limes, or see them and not
> bother to wonder what they are.

It's hard for me to imagine a life of such UNobservation? Flip through a
magazine and not notice things? Never see limes as you picked up apples in the
market? Never saw a picture of a lime on the shampoo bottle and read the
label?
Goomba

Goomba38

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >, "Lynne"
> > wrote:
>
> > To this day I can not understand how any American high school graduate
> > can not know what a lime looks like.

> I can understand lots of ways. Living in a small town, Mommy and Daddy
> don't like limes or just never got exposed to them. People on this group
> are interested in food, so we keep our eyes open. People who aren't
> interested in food (except as fuel) could easily pass through the produce
> section a thousand times and never see the limes, or see them and not
> bother to wonder what they are.

It's hard for me to imagine a life of such UNobservation? Flip through a
magazine and not notice things? Never see limes as you picked up apples in the
market? Never saw a picture of a lime on the shampoo bottle and read the
label?
Goomba

Goomba38

Frogleg wrote:

> In this benighted corner of
> Virginia, I nearly always have to explain an artichoke to *somebody*,
> incl. other customers. I don't take it as a signal the questioner is a
> cretin.

Sadly, having known a few incredibly dense unobservant folks, unless it was
early in her market checker career, she had to have checked out a few
before, don't you think? Maybe it was bad long term memory...not just her
cretinism?
Goomba

Goomba38

Frogleg wrote:

> In this benighted corner of
> Virginia, I nearly always have to explain an artichoke to *somebody*,
> incl. other customers. I don't take it as a signal the questioner is a
> cretin.

Sadly, having known a few incredibly dense unobservant folks, unless it was
early in her market checker career, she had to have checked out a few
before, don't you think? Maybe it was bad long term memory...not just her
cretinism?
Goomba

Mark Shaw

In article >,
modom > wrote:
>Poblanos are used for chile rellenos. Did you ever have a chile
>relleno? Her reply is the headline. She lives in Texas.

Poblanos are used for rellenos in Texas. Proper rellenos
are made with green chiles, of course.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"The longer you go, the more the music gets into the walls."

Mark Shaw

In article >,
modom > wrote:
>Poblanos are used for chile rellenos. Did you ever have a chile
>relleno? Her reply is the headline. She lives in Texas.

Poblanos are used for rellenos in Texas. Proper rellenos
are made with green chiles, of course.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"The longer you go, the more the music gets into the walls."
-Muddy Waters
Hal Laurent

"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> modom > wrote:
> >Poblanos are used for chile rellenos. Did you ever have a chile
> >relleno? Her reply is the headline. She lives in Texas.

> Poblanos are used for rellenos in Texas. Proper rellenos
> are made with green chiles, of course.

Huh? Chile poblanos *are* green.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Hal Laurent

"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> modom > wrote:
> >Poblanos are used for chile rellenos. Did you ever have a chile
> >relleno? Her reply is the headline. She lives in Texas.

> Poblanos are used for rellenos in Texas. Proper rellenos
> are made with green chiles, of course.

Huh? Chile poblanos *are* green.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Mark Shaw

In article >,
"Hal Laurent" > wrote:
>"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
>news
>>
>> Poblanos are used for rellenos in Texas. Proper rellenos
>> are made with green chiles, of course.

>Huh? Chile poblanos *are* green.

Ha! Yeah, but they aren't green chiles. Like Big Jims, Anaheims
or Hatches.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can
Mark Shaw

In article >,
"Hal Laurent" > wrote:
>"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
>news
>>
>> Poblanos are used for rellenos in Texas. Proper rellenos
>> are made with green chiles, of course.

>Huh? Chile poblanos *are* green.

Ha! Yeah, but they aren't green chiles. Like Big Jims, Anaheims
or Hatches.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can
count in binary, and those who cannot." -unknown

Dan Abel

In article >, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
> wrote:

> I live in Canada. Not as much suing going on, so employers are not as
> afraid of giving you a bad reference (though a carefully-worded bad
> reference).

Sometimes so carefully worded that it isn't understood! I was on a search
committee many years ago. One woman had no job experience. She had been
a mother and an artist, and had gone back to school to learn about
computers. She answered all of our questions well, but I had some doubt
about her personality, as did another member of the committee. The man
who I thought was going to be her supervisor had no problems with it. He
checked her references, including a computer intership at a large company
near here. He reported:

Q: What can you tell me about candidate X?
A: She was a very good worker.
Q: Would you hire her?
A: No.
Q: Why not?
A: She isn't management material.

This was kind of strange, since she wasn't doing anything like management
work for them as an intern. We figured that since we were hiring a lower
level computer person, her ability to manage didn't matter, and so we
hired her. The guy who was going to be her supervisor left before she
started. I soon figured that the reason he wouldn't have had a problem
with her was because he would have ignored her problems. She would have
had an *enormous* problem with *him*, and it would have been a total
disaster. As it was, it was a total disaster anyway, because she couldn't
get along with *anyone*.

Upon thinking about it later, I realized that "not management material"
was a code phrase for "can't get along with other people".

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Dan Abel

In article >, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
> wrote:

> I live in Canada. Not as much suing going on, so employers are not as
> afraid of giving you a bad reference (though a carefully-worded bad
> reference).

Sometimes so carefully worded that it isn't understood! I was on a search
committee many years ago. One woman had no job experience. She had been
a mother and an artist, and had gone back to school to learn about
computers. She answered all of our questions well, but I had some doubt
about her personality, as did another member of the committee. The man
who I thought was going to be her supervisor had no problems with it. He
checked her references, including a computer intership at a large company
near here. He reported:

Q: What can you tell me about candidate X?
A: She was a very good worker.
Q: Would you hire her?
A: No.
Q: Why not?
A: She isn't management material.

[...]

Dan Abel

In article >, Goomba38
> wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
>
> > In article >, "Lynne"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > To this day I can not understand how any American high school graduate
> > > can not know what a lime looks like.

> > I can understand lots of ways. Living in a small town, Mommy and Daddy
> > don't like limes or just never got exposed to them. People on this group
> > are interested in food, so we keep our eyes open. People who aren't
> > interested in food (except as fuel) could easily pass through the produce
> > section a thousand times and never see the limes, or see them and not
> > bother to wonder what they are.

> It's hard for me to imagine a life of such UNobservation? Flip through a
> magazine and not notice things? Never see limes as you picked up apples in the
> market? Never saw a picture of a lime on the shampoo bottle and read the
> label?

I wouldn't expect to find many American HS graduates who wouldn't know
what a lime looks like, but I wouldn't say that I cannot understand it. I
know this group (plus experience gained *after* high school) has broadened
my food understanding.

Where I grew up, *everyone* knew that chili had beans in it. The idea
that you could even *call* it chili if it didn't have beans was
unthinkable. Furthermore, *everyone* knew that a Mexican restaurant was
the place to get chili. If a restaurant had chili on its menu and it
wasn't a Mexican restaurant, you *knew* it came out of a can. Furthmore,
*everyone* knew that chili was made with hamburger.

Our friends from Texas here *don't* know that chili has beans in it, in
fact the idea infuriates them. Where I live now, the Mexican restaurants
are all completely 100% staffed by Mexicans, and chili is *never* on the
menu.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Dan Abel

In article >, Goomba38
> wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
>
> > In article >, "Lynne"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > To this day I can not understand how any American high school graduate
> > > can not know what a lime looks like.

> > I can understand lots of ways. Living in a small town, Mommy and Daddy
> > don't like limes or just never got exposed to them. People on this group
> > are interested in food, so we keep our eyes open. People who aren't
> > interested in food (except as fuel) could easily pass through the produce
> > section a thousand times and never see the limes, or see them and not
> > bother to wonder what they are.

> It's hard for me to imagine a life of such UNobservation? Flip through a
> magazine and not notice things? Never see limes as you picked up apples in the
> market? Never saw a picture of a lime on the shampoo bottle and read the
> label?

I wouldn't expect to find many American HS graduates who wouldn't know
what a lime looks like, but I wouldn't say that I cannot understand it. I
know this group (plus experience gained *after* high school) has broadened
my food understanding.

Where I grew up, *everyone* knew that chili had beans in it. The idea
that you could even *call* it chili if it didn't have beans was
unthinkable. Furthermore, *everyone* knew that a Mexican restaurant was
the place to get chili. If a restaurant had chili on its menu and it
wasn't a Mexican restaurant, you *knew* it came out of a can. Furthmore,
*everyone* knew that chili was made with hamburger.

Our friends from Texas here *don't* know that chili has beans in it, in
fact the idea infuriates them. Where I live now, the Mexican restaurants
are all completely 100% staffed by Mexicans, and chili is *never* on the
menu.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University
AIS

A.C.

graduate

> > > I can understand lots of ways. Living in a small town, Mommy and

Daddy
> > > don't like limes or just never got exposed to them. People on this

group
> > > are interested in food, so we keep our eyes open. People who aren't
> > > interested in food (except as fuel) could easily pass through the

produce
> > > section a thousand times and never see the limes, or see them and not
> > > bother to wonder what they are.

> > It's hard for me to imagine a life of such UNobservation? Flip through a
> > magazine and not notice things? Never see limes as you picked up apples

in the
> > market? Never saw a picture of a lime on the shampoo bottle and read

the
> > label?

> I wouldn't expect to find many American HS graduates who wouldn't know
> what a lime looks like, but I wouldn't say that I cannot understand it. I
> know this group (plus experience gained *after* high school) has broadened
> my food understanding.
>
> Where I grew up, *everyone* knew that chili had beans in it. The idea
> that you could even *call* it chili if it didn't have beans was
> unthinkable. Furthermore, *everyone* knew that a Mexican restaurant was
> the place to get chili. If a restaurant had chili on its menu and it
> wasn't a Mexican restaurant, you *knew* it came out of a can. Furthmore,
> *everyone* knew that chili was made with hamburger.
>
> Our friends from Texas here *don't* know that chili has beans in it, in
> fact the idea infuriates them. Where I live now, the Mexican restaurants
> are all completely 100% staffed by Mexicans, and chili is *never* on the
> menu.

i grew up in the south east and chili could just as well be a topper for a
hotdog along with slaw and mustard, and the chili never had beans in it.
unless it was designated as 'chili beans'

ac

A.C.

graduate

> > > I can understand lots of ways. Living in a small town, Mommy and

Daddy
> > > don't like limes or just never got exposed to them. People on this

group
> > > are interested in food, so we keep our eyes open. People who aren't
> > > interested in food (except as fuel) could easily pass through the

produce
> > > section a thousand times and never see the limes, or see them and not
> > > bother to wonder what they are.

> > It's hard for me to imagine a life of such UNobservation? Flip through a
> > magazine and not notice things? Never see limes as you picked up apples

in the
> > market? Never saw a picture of a lime on the shampoo bottle and read

the
> > label?

> I wouldn't expect to find many American HS graduates who wouldn't know
> what a lime looks like, but I wouldn't say that I cannot understand it. I
> know this group (plus experience gained *after* high school) has broadened
> my food understanding.
>
> Where I grew up, *everyone* knew that chili had beans in it. The idea
> that you could even *call* it chili if it didn't have beans was
> unthinkable. Furthermore, *everyone* knew that a Mexican restaurant was
> the place to get chili. If a restaurant had chili on its menu and it
> wasn't a Mexican restaurant, you *knew* it came out of a can. Furthmore,
> *everyone* knew that chili was made with hamburger.
>
> Our friends from Texas here *don't* know that chili has beans in it, in
> fact the idea infuriates them. Where I live now, the Mexican restaurants
> are all completely 100% staffed by Mexicans, and chili is *never* on the
> menu.

i grew up in the south east and chili could just as well be a topper for a
hotdog along with slaw and mustard, and the chili never had beans in it.
unless it was designated as 'chili beans'

ac

Hal Laurent

"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Hal Laurent" > wrote:
> >
> >Huh? Chile poblanos *are* green.

> Ha! Yeah, but they aren't green chiles. Like Big Jims, Anaheims
> or Hatches.

Hmm, I see you learned the English language at the Alice In
Wonderland school where words mean whatever you want
them to mean. :-)

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Hal Laurent

"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Hal Laurent" > wrote:
> >
> >Huh? Chile poblanos *are* green.

> Ha! Yeah, but they aren't green chiles. Like Big Jims, Anaheims
> or Hatches.

Hmm, I see you learned the English language at the Alice In
Wonderland school where words mean whatever you want
them to mean. :-)

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Miche

In article >,
modom > wrote:

> Why do people who don't like food work in food stores?

A supermarchet isn't just a "food store". I worked in a supermarchet in
order to be able to afford to go to university, not because I loved the
merchandise (spit) or my co-workers (ha).

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Miche