Jerry DeAngelis

Default The Artisan - Upload for 12/5/2004 & News

Hello All:

It has been months since we have posted new recipes here. We have been
able to keep up with requests and problems as emails have arrived, but
developing new recipes has been difficult. This year we graduated from
being home winemakers to making wine professionally. At the moment we
are processing 153 barrels of Pinot Noir, Syrah, Rose and Chardonnay,
as well as two stainless steel tanks of Pinot Bianco and Pinot Grigio.

Additionally, our olive crop is enormous this year, and we have been
picking olives and pressing them almost daily for the past month, with
another month to go. We do all the olives ourselves and with a small
press our daily limit is about 100 lbs. We will still be picking and
pressing in January! I never thought that I would hope for a lean year,
but hopefully next year the olive trees will rest.

At any rate we have been able to develop a few recipes, and are posting
5 on the Food Page. the artisan baker has been baking less, but does
have some nice new recipes, and will have them for your in the future.

Here they a

1.) Pasta con Sugo di Pollo (Pasta with a Chicken Based Sauce):
http://www.theartisan.net/Pasta_con_sugo_di_pollo.htm

2.) Pasta Con Capone e Porcini - Versione Due (Pasta with Capon and
Porcini Mushrooms Version Two):
http://www.theartisan.net/pasta_con_...rsione_due.htm

3.) Pasta con Peperoni Arrostiti, Pollo e Funghi (Pasta with Roasted
Peppers, Chicken and Mushrooms):
http://www.theartisan.net/Pasta_con_...hi_e_pollo.htm

4.) Farfalle e Zuchinne al Forno (Oven Roasted Farfalle Pasta and
Zucchini): http://www.theartisan.net/Farfalle_e...e_al_forno.htm

5.) Zuppa di Scarola, Fagioli e Pollo alla Gennaro (Gennaro's Escarole
Soup with Chicken and Beans):
http://www.theartisan.net/zuppa_di_s...li_e_pollo.htm

As usual, these recipes, along with 240+ more, may also be found on The
Food Page (http://www.theartisan.net/recipesfrm.htm).

The most recent offerings may be accessed on The New Stuff Page -
http://www.theartisan.net/NewStuff.htm

Should you encounter problems with either the recipes, the links or my
spelling, please do not hesitate to contact us.

We are working on a new feature. Hobbs Applewood Smoked Meats in
Northern California has kindly agreed to provide access to their
incredible selection of Italian meats, and we have been taste testing
them for a few weeks now. Once we are finished with this task - Someone
has to do it - we will report our results. Those of you who visit The
Artisan routinely, know that we receive no remuneration for products we
discover and share with visitors. That is the case with Hobbs, and all
other vendors found on our Resource Page.

Regards

Jerry @ The Artisan
http://www.theartisan.net

Charles Gifford

"Jerry DeAngelis" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Hello All:

< SNIP>

> 4.) Farfalle e Zuchinne al Forno (Oven Roasted Farfalle Pasta and
> Zucchini): http://www.theartisan.net/Farfalle_e...e_al_forno.htm

OK! This one is seriously good Jerry. Thanks! It would never have occurred
to me to bake Farfalle!

Charliam

<SNIP>

Jerry DeAngelis

Charliam

Thank you!!

Regards

Jerry @ The Artisan
http://www.theartisan.net

Jerry DeAngelis

Charliam

Thank you!!

Regards

Jerry @ The Artisan
http://www.theartisan.net

Claudia Cornejo

I just noticed your website. Tell us more about it. I love the slow food
movement and the whole artisan sector in Italy.

Is your wesite meant to just educate?

Claudia

"Jerry DeAngelis" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Charliam
>
> Thank you!!
>
> Regards
>
> Jerry @ The Artisan
> http://www.theartisan.net

Jerry DeAngelis

Claudia

Thank you for your interest in The Artisan.

We developed The Artisan to help preserve some of the customs of Italian
food and bread and to provide information to those who want same. The
food recipes are as mostly (95%+) from our kitchen and the rest from
friends in Italy and elsewhere. The bread recipes are translated from
the Italian and represent an effort to provide authentic information to
those with an interest in baking Italian breads. Where necessary
because of ingredient availability and the vagaries of different flour
types, we have modified some recipes to reflect availability..
At one point in time (The Artisan is 8 years old this year) we received
many requests for our history, and our rationale for developing the
site. We posted that, but have not had it generally available on the
site for a number of years. If you are interested here is a link
http://www.theartisan.net/TheArtisanHistory.htm.

As you may know everything is free including any technical assistance
that one may want. We try to respond to queries promptly, and
accurately.

Regards

Jerry @ The Artisan

"Claudia Cornejo" > wrote in message
>I just noticed your website. Tell us more about it. I love the slow
>food movement and the whole artisan sector in Italy.
>
> Is your wesite meant to just educate?
>
> Claudia
>
> "Jerry DeAngelis" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> Charliam
>>
>> Thank you!!
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jerry @ The Artisan
>> http://www.theartisan.net

sf

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:55:23 GMT, "Jerry DeAngelis"
> wrote:

> We posted that, but have not had it generally available on the
> site for a number of years. If you are interested here is a link
> http://www.theartisan.net/TheArtisanHistory.htm.

Thanks for the URL... just a heads up: your link to "the
artisan" is broken:
The first version of "The Artisan" was pretty basic, <snip>

Can you clue me in? I remember an "Artisan" a couple of
years ago that focused on breads. Was that you?

sf
Jerry DeAngelis

Hi

I am puzzled as I just now used the link and it was fine. I also used
the link I gave Claudia and it worked as it should....hmmmmm....

At any rate we are the same people. The site is quite a bit larger now,
but still not bogged down with too many graphics. I do not know how
long it has been since you have visited, but the Main Page now has a
search engine that makes life a bit easier.

Here is the link we use: http://www.theartisan.net

We would appreciate it if you let us know if you still have a problem,
as we will get in touch with our ISP if that is the case. I do notice
that when using my browsers I occasionally have to log onto a site - not
The Artisan - more than once. For some reason, the site I am trying to
reach only comes up after 2 or more tries...even the site I use for a
home page (myway.com)

If you have the old EarthLink site (http://www.home.earthlink.net/~ggda)
that could cause a problem as we use that for a backup site in case of
problems with our primary ISP.

Regards

Jerry @ The Artisan
http://www.theartisan.net

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:55:23 GMT, "Jerry DeAngelis"
> > wrote:
>
>> We posted that, but have not had it generally available on the
>> site for a number of years. If you are interested here is a link
>> http://www.theartisan.net/TheArtisanHistory.htm.

> Thanks for the URL... just a heads up: your link to "the
> artisan" is broken:
> The first version of "The Artisan" was pretty basic, <snip>
>
> Can you clue me in? I remember an "Artisan" a couple of
> years ago that focused on breads. Was that you?
>
> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Claudia Cornejo

with many vegetables;
green beans work especially well. Meat is not necessary every day, don?t
be afraid to alter any dish to vegetarian tastes.

1 premature baby, born dead
Large bunch of mustard greens
2 white onions, 1 cup chopped celery
Vegetable oil (or hog fat)
Salt, pepper, garlic, etc.

Lightly brown onions, celery, garlic and meat in large heavy pot.
Add a little water and the greens (which should be thoroughly cleaned and washed).
Smother slowly for at least 2 hours, adding small amounts of water
when it starts to stick.
Stir frequently.
When ready - serve with rice, grilled smoked sausage, green salad, and iced tea.
Coffee and apple pie then brandy.

Maternity Ward Pot Luck Dinner

If you can?t get anything fresh from the hospital, nursery, or morgue;
you can at least get rid of all the leftovers in your refrigerator.

1 - 2 lbs. cubed meat (human flesh, chicken, turkey, beef...)
1 -2 lbs. coarsely chopped vegetables
(carrots, potatoes, turnips, cauliflower, cabbage...)
Bell pepper
onions
garlic
ginger
salt pepper, etc.
Olive oil
butter

Brown the meat and some chopped onions, peppers, and garilic in olive oil,
place in baking dish, layer with vegetables seasoning and butter.
Bake at 325° for 30 - 45 minutes.
Serve

sf

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 01:48:29 GMT, "Jerry DeAngelis"
> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am puzzled as I just now used the link and it was fine. I also used
> the link I gave Claudia and it worked as it should....hmmmmm....

In that case it's probably because I don't use IE. That's
often the case when a site works for some but not for
others. For instance, I've learned over time that I need to
visit the airline sites using IE.

> At any rate we are the same people.

<smile> Glad to hear that! I visited you many times in the
olden days.

> The site is quite a bit larger now,
> but still not bogged down with too many graphics.

It's a good thing. Much faster loading than foodtv!

> I do not know how
> long it has been since you have visited,

too long, obviously!

> but the Main Page now has a
> search engine that makes life a bit easier.

You're keeping up with the times! My daughter just clued me
in that you can enter ingredients into foodtv's search
engine and it gives you recipes. Does yours do that too?

> Here is the link we use: http://www.theartisan.net
>
> We would appreciate it if you let us know if you still have a problem,
> as we will get in touch with our ISP if that is the case. I do notice
> that when using my browsers I occasionally have to log onto a site - not
> The Artisan - more than once. For some reason, the site I am trying to
> reach only comes up after 2 or more tries...even the site I use for a
> home page (myway.com)

I tried twice, but not since. I'm using Firebird as my main
browser. Have you tried viewing your site with that one?

> If you have the old EarthLink site (http://www.home.earthlink.net/~ggda)
> that could cause a problem as we use that for a backup site in case of
> problems with our primary ISP.

No, I used the link you posted in your message.

<smile>

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:55:23 GMT, "Jerry DeAngelis"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> We posted that, but have not had it generally available on the
> >> site for a number of years. If you are interested here is a link
> >> http://www.theartisan.net/TheArtisanHistory.htm.

> > Thanks for the URL... just a heads up: your link to "the
> > artisan" is broken:
> > The first version of "The Artisan" was pretty basic, <snip>
> >
> > Can you clue me in? I remember an "Artisan" a couple of
> > years ago that focused on breads. Was that you?
> >
> > sf
> > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

sf

Charles Gifford

lamb,
poultry, and vegetables; just about anything can be grilled, and young humans
are no exception!

High quality marinade (Teriyaki and garlic perhaps)
1 inch cubes of tender meat, preferably from the nursery
Onions
bell peppers
Wooden or metal skewers

Marinate the meat overnight.
Get the grill good and hot while placing meat, vegetables, and
fruit such as pineapples or cherries on the skewers.
Don?t be afraid to use a variety of meats.
Grill to medium rare,
serve with garlic cous-cous and sautéed asparagus.
Coffee and sherbet for desert then walnuts, cheese, and port.
Cigars for the gentlemen (and ladies if they so desire)!

Crock-Pot Crack Baby

When the quivering, hopelessly addicted crack baby succumbs to death,
get him immediately butchered and into the crock-pot, so that any
remaining toxins will not be fatal. But don?t cook it too long,
because like Blowfish, there is a perfect medium between the poisonous
and the stimulating. Though it may not have the same effect on your
guests, a whole chicken cooked in this fashion is also mighty tasty.

1 newborn - cocaine addicted, freshly expired, cle

Jerry DeAngelis

seasoning as necessary.
After at least half an hour, add the carrots and potatoes,
and simmer till root vegetables break with a fork.
Cook a fresh pot of long grained white rice.

Pre-mie Pot Pie

When working with prematurely delivered newborns (or chicken) use sherry;
red wine with beef (buy steak or roast, do not pre-boil).

Pie crust (see index)
Whole fresh pre-mie; eviscerated, head, hands and feet removed
Onions, bell pepper, celery
½ cup wine
Root vegetables of choice (turnips, carrots, potatoes, etc) cubed

Make a crust from scratch - or go shamefully to the frozen food section
of your favorite grocery and select 2 high quality pie crusts (you
will need one for the top also).
Boil the prepared delicacy until the meat starts to come off the bones.
Remove, de-bone and cube; continue to reduce the broth.
Brown the onions, peppers and celery.
Add the meat then season, continue browning.
De-glaze with sherry, add the reduced broth.
Finally, put in the root vegetables and simmer for 15 minutes.
Allow to

Jerry DeAngelis

1 onion
minced
salt
pepper
butter
olive oil

Pound the breasts flat (parboil first if using umbilical
cords so they won?t be tough).
Place a slice of ham and cheese on each, along with some minced onion
then fold in half, trimming neatly.
Dredge in flour, eggwash, then seasoned breadcrumbs;
allow to sit for a few minutes.
Sauté in butter and olive oil until golden brown,
about 6 minutes on each side.

Shish Kababes

As old as the hills, this technique has employed seafood, beef, pork, lamb,
[...]

Jerry DeAngelis

minutes.
Allow to cool slightly.
Place the pie pan in 375 degree oven for a few minutes so bottom crust is not soggy,
reduce oven to 325.
Fill the pie with stew, place top crust and with a fork, seal the crusts together
then poke holes in top.
Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until pie crust is golden brown.

Sudden Infant Death Soup

SIDS: delicious in winter, comparable to old fashioned Beef and Vegetable Soup.
Its free, you can sell the crib, baby clothes, toys, stroller... and so easy to
procure if such a lucky find is at hand (just pick him up from the crib and
he?s good to go)!

SIDS victim, cleaned
½ cup cooking oil
Carrots
onions
broccoli
whole cabbage
fresh green beans
potato
turnip
celery
tomato
½ stick butter
1 cup cooked pasta (macaroni, shells, etc.)

Remove as much meat as possible, cube, and brown in hot oil.
Add a little water, season, then add the carcass.
Simmer for half an hour keeping the stock thick.
Remove the carcass and add the vegetables slowly to the stock,
so that it remains boiling the whole time.
Cover the pot and simmer till vegetables are tender
(2 hours approximately).
Continue seasoning to taste.
Before serving, add butter and pasta,
serve piping with hot bread and butter.

Offspring Rolls

Similar to Vietnamese style fried rolls, they have lots of meat
(of course this can consist of chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp).
Who can resist this classic appetizer; or light lunch served with
a fresh salad? Versatility is probably this recipe?s greatest virtue,
as one can use the best part of a prime, rare, yearling, or the
morticians occasional horror: a small miracle stopped short b