Isaac Wingfield

Default Smoking a turkey on the grill

I brined the bird and then (for the first time) cooked it on the grill
-- closed, indirect heat, around 375-400 F. I put in three or four
aluminum foil packets full of hickory chips during the first hour or so
of cooking (all this per Alton Brown).

The turkey was fine, and a beautiful mahogany color like I've never seen
before. The skin had a nice smoky flavor, but once you got maybe a
millimeter under the surface, there just wasn't a noticeable smoke
flavor at all.

Why not? How do I get a nice smoky flavor all the way through?

Isaac
Dave Bugg

Isaac Wingfield wrote:

> Why not? How do I get a nice smoky flavor all the way through?
>
> Isaac

To achieve deeper smoke penetration you'd have to reduce the cooking
temperature, increase the cooking time and increase the level of smoke. Even
so, you will not get smoke flavor "all the way through".

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Dave Bugg