Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default smoking whole turkey

what internal temp do you shoot for? 165 sounds way too high.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Pico Rico" > wrote:

> what internal temp do you shoot for? 165 sounds way too high.

it is.

monroe(don't fergit carryover heat)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 14:06:02 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

>what internal temp do you shoot for? 165 sounds way too high.

It's poultry, not steak. I'd not go less than 160. You can go to 170
if done right. Use a high temperature and it won't dry out over a long
time. You can easily smoke it at 300+ pit temperature.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"monroe, of course" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Pico Rico" > wrote:
>
>> what internal temp do you shoot for? 165 sounds way too high.

> it is.

so, what temp do you shoot for?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 14:06:02 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:
>
>>what internal temp do you shoot for? 165 sounds way too high.
>>

> It's poultry, not steak. I'd not go less than 160. You can go to 170
> if done right. Use a high temperature and it won't dry out over a long
> time. You can easily smoke it at 300+ pit temperature.

are you speaking of correct "doneness" or food safety concerns?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Pico Rico wrote:
> what internal temp do you shoot for? 165 sounds way too
> high.

160-170 or until juices run clear and joints move freely

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 15:17:52 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 14:06:02 -0700, "Pico Rico"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>what internal temp do you shoot for? 165 sounds way too high.
>>>

>> It's poultry, not steak. I'd not go less than 160. You can go to 170
>> if done right. Use a high temperature and it won't dry out over a long
>> time. You can easily smoke it at 300+ pit temperature.

>are you speaking of correct "doneness" or food safety concerns?

Both. Poultry needs to be in that range or it is tough. Too high, it
is dry.

When we roast chicken in the oven, 170 is the norm and it is very
juicy. We also roast it at 425. Turkey we do at 400 in the oven, 300
to 350 on the smoker.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 10/22/2012 4:06 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
> what internal temp do you shoot for? 165 sounds way too high.

165 is probably OK. Even a little less is not going to hurt. Let it
rest 15-20 minutes and the residual heat will get it perfect. Government
suggestions recommend 170, but then the biggest complaint about turkey
is it's too dry. If you take a turkey out at 160, let it rest 15-20
minutes(tented) it is difficult to determine if it reaches the official
done temp, but you are assured of nice moist turkey.

A carving technique I learned recently is cut the breast off in 1 piece
and make thicker slices across the breast. IOW, the breast will be on
the cutting board like a log. Make slices across the width. The slices
will be smaller circumference wise, but I think the thicker slices will
be more moist also.

BBQ
--
“We are going to be gifted with a health care plan that we are forced to
purchase, and fined if we don’t, signed by a president who smokes, with

Author Unknown
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 10/22/2012 9:38 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 15:17:52 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Ed > wrote in message
>>> On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 14:06:02 -0700, "Pico Rico"

>>> It's poultry, not steak. I'd not go less than 160. You can go to 170
>>> if done right. Use a high temperature and it won't dry out over a long
>>> time. You can easily smoke it at 300+ pit temperature.

>> are you speaking of correct "doneness" or food safety concerns?
>>

> Both. Poultry needs to be in that range or it is tough. Too high, it
> is dry.
>
> When we roast chicken in the oven, 170 is the norm and it is very
> juicy. We also roast it at 425. Turkey we do at 400 in the oven, 300
> to 350 on the smoker.

Why should the temp be that much different between an oven and a smoker?
I've heard of a technique of starting it in an oven at very high heat
(500) for 20 minutes or so, then turn down the heat to 300-325 for the
rest of the cook. I've not tried this technique yet, so I don't know how
well it works.

BBQ
--
“We are going to be gifted with a health care plan that we are forced to
purchase, and fined if we don’t, signed by a president who smokes, with
funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, by a
government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare,
all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a
country that’s broke.

Author Unknown
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Pico Rico" > wrote:

> "monroe, of course" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> > "Pico Rico" > wrote:
> >
> >> what internal temp do you shoot for? 165 sounds way too high.

> > it is.
> >

> so, what temp do you shoot for?

when the leg wiggles.

monroe(IOW when it's done)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

bbq wrote:
> On 10/22/2012 4:06 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
>> what internal temp do you shoot for? 165 sounds way too
>> high.
>>

> 165 is probably OK. Even a little less is not going to
> hurt. Let it
> rest 15-20 minutes and the residual heat will get it
> perfect.
> Government suggestions recommend 170, but then the biggest
> complaint
> about turkey is it's too dry. If you take a turkey out at
> 160, let it
> rest 15-20 minutes(tented) it is difficult to determine
> if it
> reaches the official done temp, but you are assured of
> nice moist
> turkey.
> A carving technique I learned recently is cut the breast
> off in 1
> piece and make thicker slices across the breast. IOW, the
> breast will
> be on the cutting board like a log. Make slices across the
> width. The
> slices will be smaller circumference wise, but I think the
> thicker
> slices will be more moist also.
>
> BBQ

cooking/smoking them breast side down rather than the
traditional breast up helps keep it much moister.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 14:06:02 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:
>
>>what internal temp do you shoot for? 165 sounds way too high.
>>

> It's poultry, not steak. I'd not go less than 160. You can go to 170
> if done right. Use a high temperature and it won't dry out over a long
> time. You can easily smoke it at 300+ pit temperature.

Just about every turkey you buy says on the package to cook said bird for
210 minutes a pound at 325°.
I have always cooked them like that, whether in the oven or smoker. I was
probably doing 125 birds a season when I have my Joint. Seems to work.
I charged between $25-$30 for a 12-14 pound bird. I got a buck a pound
when the customer furnished the bird.
BeeJay

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 22:01:56 -0500, bbq > wrote:

>>> are you speaking of correct "doneness" or food safety concerns?
>>>

>> Both. Poultry needs to be in that range or it is tough. Too high, it
>> is dry.
>>
>> When we roast chicken in the oven, 170 is the norm and it is very
>> juicy. We also roast it at 425. Turkey we do at 400 in the oven, 300
>> to 350 on the smoker.

>Why should the temp be that much different between an oven and a smoker?
>I've heard of a technique of starting it in an oven at very high heat
>(500) for 20 minutes or so, then turn down the heat to 300-325 for the
>rest of the cook. I've not tried this technique yet, so I don't know how
>well it works.
>
>BBQ

Because it is easier to get that temperature in my insulated oven in
the house that it is on a smoker outside at 40 degrees in November.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 04:33:27 -0400, Big Jim wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 14:06:02 -0700, "Pico Rico"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>what internal temp do you shoot for? 165 sounds way too high.
>>>

>> It's poultry, not steak. I'd not go less than 160. You can go to 170
>> if done right. Use a high temperature and it won't dry out over a long
>> time. You can easily smoke it at 300+ pit temperature.

> Just about every turkey you buy says on the package to cook said bird for
> 210 minutes a pound at 325°.
> I have always cooked them like that, whether in the oven or smoker. I was
> probably doing 125 birds a season when I have my Joint. Seems to work.
> I charged between $25-$30 for a 12-14 pound bird. I got a buck a pound
> when the customer furnished the bird.
> BeeJay

210 minutes per pound seems excessive to me, butt... You da man. '-)

TFM®
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Oct-2012, bbq > wrote:

> On 10/22/2012 9:38 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 15:17:52 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > > wrote:

> >> are you speaking of correct "doneness" or food safety concerns?
> >>

> > Both. Poultry needs to be in that range or it is tough. Too high, it
> > is dry.
> >
> > When we roast chicken in the oven, 170 is the norm and it is very
> > juicy. We also roast it at 425. Turkey we do at 400 in the oven, 300
> > to 350 on the smoker.

> Why should the temp be that much different between an oven and a smoker?
> I've heard of a technique of starting it in an oven at very high heat
> (500) for 20 minutes or so, then turn down the heat to 300-325 for the
> rest of the cook. I've not tried this technique yet, so I don't know how
> well it works.
>
> BBQ

I believe Ed is talking about observed performance as opposed to theory
or speculation. I suspect that he doesn't really care "why".

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

We have done many turkeys in our ceramic cooker, both stuffed, and unstuffed.
We cook it exactly like I do the birds inside in the oven. Same cooking temp, I go out and baste them several times,til either button pops(love those little buttons!), or the legs wiggle easily, and the internal temp is 165 - 170, I forget, but look it up every time, oldtimers disease. Yummy good meal, or 3! I'm about to buy one to do pre Thanksgiving just because they are so good. Love being able to control the temperature of the cooker!!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 10/23/2012 4:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Both. Poultry needs to be in that range or it is tough. Too high, it
>>> is dry.
>>>
>>> When we roast chicken in the oven, 170 is the norm and it is very
>>> juicy. We also roast it at 425. Turkey we do at 400 in the oven, 300
>>> to 350 on the smoker.

>> Why should the temp be that much different between an oven and a smoker?
>> I've heard of a technique of starting it in an oven at very high heat
>> (500) for 20 minutes or so, then turn down the heat to 300-325 for the
>> rest of the cook. I've not tried this technique yet, so I don't know how
>> well it works.
>>
>> BBQ

> Because it is easier to get that temperature in my insulated oven in
> the house that it is on a smoker outside at 40 degrees in November.

That makes sense. Thanks..

BBQ
--
“We are going to be gifted with a health care plan that we are forced to
purchase, and fined if we don’t, signed by a president who smokes, with
funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, by a
government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare,
all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a
country that’s broke.

Author Unknown
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 10/23/2012 6:25 AM, TFM® wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 04:33:27 -0400, Big Jim wrote:
>
>> "Ed > wrote in message
>>> On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 14:06:02 -0700, "Pico Rico"

>>> It's poultry, not steak. I'd not go less than 160. You can go to 170
>>> if done right. Use a high temperature and it won't dry out over a long
>>> time. You can easily smoke it at 300+ pit temperature.

>> Just about every turkey you buy says on the package to cook said bird for
>> 210 minutes a pound at 325°.
>> I have always cooked them like that, whether in the oven or smoker. I was
>> probably doing 125 birds a season when I have my Joint. Seems to work.
>> I charged between $25-$30 for a 12-14 pound bird. I got a buck a pound
>> when the customer furnished the bird.
>> BeeJay

> 210 minutes per pound seems excessive to me, butt... You da man. '-)
>
> TFM®

Darn sticky keyboards !!!

BBQ
--
“We are going to be gifted with a health care plan that we are forced to
purchase, and fined if we don’t, signed by a president who smokes, with
funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, by a
government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare,
all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a
country that’s broke.

Author Unknown
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"TFM®" > wrote in message
.. .
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 04:33:27 -0400, Big Jim wrote:
>
>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>> On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 14:06:02 -0700, "Pico Rico"

>>> It's poultry, not steak. I'd not go less than 160. You can go to 170
>>> if done right. Use a high temperature and it won't dry out over a long
>>> time. You can easily smoke it at 300+ pit temperature.

>> Just about every turkey you buy says on the package to cook said bird
>> for
>> 210 minutes a pound at 325°.
>> I have always cooked them like that, whether in the oven or smoker. I
>> was
>> probably doing 125 birds a season when I have my Joint. Seems to work.
>> I charged between $25-$30 for a 12-14 pound bird. I got a buck a pound
>> when the customer furnished the bird.
>> BeeJay

> 210 minutes per pound seems excessive to me, butt... You da man. '-)
>
> TFM®

IT is Fatty, Looks like a fat fingered "1" got stuck in there between the
"2" and the "0"
Should be "20" minutes a pound.
BeeJay

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 22, 2:05*pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:
> what internal temp do you shoot for? *165 sounds way too high.

This is what smoking whole turkey looks like:

http://tinyurl.com/6qmdx3k