Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Smoking on a gas grill

Okay, after years of grilling, I want to try smoking food on my gas grill. I kow
I can buy wood chips, soak them, put them in an aluminum pan with a cover with
holes punched in it for the smoke, but...

What would be the best thing to try to smoke for my maiden voyage into this
realm? Chicken, pork, beef? And are there certain woods that go better with
certain meats?

I can probably find recipes by Googling, but I'd like to get some first hand
experience if I could.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 May 2015 19:29:20 -0400, wrote:

>Okay, after years of grilling, I want to try smoking food on my gas grill. I kow
>I can buy wood chips, soak them, put them in an aluminum pan with a cover with
>holes punched in it for the smoke, but...
>
>What would be the best thing to try to smoke for my maiden voyage into this
>realm? Chicken, pork, beef? And are there certain woods that go better with
>certain meats?
>
>I can probably find recipes by Googling, but I'd like to get some first hand
>experience if I could.
>
>Thanks.

Best smoked chicken I ever ate was at Bryan's house years ago. We were
in Bryan's back yard grilling chicken on a nothing-but-hickory-wood
fire on a Weber kettle grill, I think. We were also drinking a lot of
beers, so our attention to the grill fire and production of hickory
coals fr5om that fire was marginal at best, resulting in a VERY long
cooking time as Bryan fiddled with the fire in between beers. Must've
taken about 4 maybe 5 hours before we considered the chicken done, and
YUM!!!! Hickory-smokiest most delicious chicken BBQed smoked chicken I
ever ate!!

Remember Bryan? It's those kind of memories that make me miss my
friend Bryan. And we have MANY more wonderful and a few contentious
memories that we share. As old friends always do! Please get sopme
good therapy and maybe someday we can start making new "old memories"
again!

The door's always open. YOU just have to step through it!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/13/2015 6:18 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> I'd never smoke over oak.

It's traditional in MO. bbq.

http://www.twinoakwoodfired.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>> Okay, after years of grilling, I want to try smoking food on my gas grill. I kow
>> I can buy wood chips, soak them, put them in an aluminum pan with a cover with
>> holes punched in it for the smoke, but...
>>
>> What would be the best thing to try to smoke for my maiden voyage into this
>> realm? Chicken, pork, beef? And are there certain woods that go better with
>> certain meats?
>>
>> I can probably find recipes by Googling, but I'd like to get some first hand
>> experience if I could.
>>
>> Thanks.

> Thanks for all the great replies so far. I can't wait to take my first step on
> this journey. Hopefully over the weekend. Probably start with pork or chicken.
> Or hell, maybe there's room on my grill for both. Oh, and once I start the
> smoking process, do I have to be fussing with the meat? Turning it, etc? When I
> waatch TV shows, it seems like they just put the meat into a smoker and leave it
> for however long and let it smoke. Thanks again. I appreciate all the help.

Using the indirect heat method you will want to rotate what you're
cooking to insure an even smoke.

http://www.weber.com/weber-nation/gr...on-a-gas-grill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=droqmzBbBsE
How to set up a smoker box on a gas grill

You'll really like this last tutorial:

http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitch...in-a-gas-grill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/13/2015 6:54 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 6:44:09 PM UTC-5, W. Lohman wrote:
>> On 5/13/2015 5:29 PM, wrote:
>>> Okay, after years of grilling, I want to try smoking food on my gas grill. I kow
>>> I can buy wood chips, soak them, put them in an aluminum pan with a cover with
>>> holes punched in it for the smoke, but...
>>>
>>> What would be the best thing to try to smoke for my maiden voyage into this
>>> realm? Chicken, pork, beef? And are there certain woods that go better with
>>> certain meats?

>> Whatever you like.
>>
>> Chicken - always go indirect heat (apple chips).
>>

> Cherry and peach are nice for chicken too, though I pretty much always
> sauce chicken. To paraphrase the Jeep saying; Maull's, it's a St. Louis
> thing. You wouldn't understand.

I do agree on the fruit woods.

>> Pork, indirect to start, then finish over direct for bark (Jack Daniels
>> whiskey barrel chips).
>>

> No thank you to whisky in any form. You can have my share.

It's in the wood, not for sipping!

>> Beef - what kind?
>>
>> For beef I like oak and sometimes mesquite chips.
>>
>> Pecan is genius on any of these if you can source it, cherry too.
>>

> No mention of hickory, which is pretty similar to pecan.
>
> --Bryan

That too, hard to go wrong with hickory, especially low and slow.

No cedar!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 May 2015 18:57:48 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

>On 5/13/2015 6:18 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>> I'd never smoke over oak.

>It's traditional in MO. bbq.
>

>http://www.twinoakwoodfired.com/

I think probably Bryan does not like the flavors smoking with oak
imparts. Probably why he prefers not whiskeys or heaven forbid
bourbons, which I happen to love.

I as a Maker's Mark "Ambassador" got a flyer recently that Maker's
Mark (my go-to bourbon) has a "cask strength" out now! And I am very
excited about that. Bottle on the flyer I received says 113.2 proof!
Yama!! I'm looking forward to trying some soon!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 7:23:16 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Wed, 13 May 2015 19:29:20 -0400, wrote:
>
> >Okay, after years of grilling, I want to try smoking food on my gas grill. I kow
> >I can buy wood chips, soak them, put them in an aluminum pan with a cover with
> >holes punched in it for the smoke, but...
> >
> >What would be the best thing to try to smoke for my maiden voyage into this
> >realm? Chicken, pork, beef? And are there certain woods that go better with
> >certain meats?
> >
> >I can probably find recipes by Googling, but I'd like to get some first hand
> >experience if I could.
> >
> >Thanks.

> Best smoked chicken I ever ate was at Bryan's house years ago. We were
> in Bryan's back yard grilling chicken on a nothing-but-hickory-wood
> fire on a Weber kettle grill, I think. We were also drinking a lot of
> beers, so our attention to the grill fire and production of hickory
> coals fr5om that fire was marginal at best, resulting in a VERY long
> cooking time as Bryan fiddled with the fire in between beers. Must've
> taken about 4 maybe 5 hours before we considered the chicken done, and
> YUM!!!! Hickory-smokiest most delicious chicken BBQed smoked chicken I
> ever ate!!
>
> Remember Bryan? It's those kind of memories that make me miss my
> friend Bryan. And we have MANY more wonderful and a few contentious
> memories that we share. As old friends always do! Please get sopme
> good therapy and maybe someday we can start making new "old memories"
> again!
>
> The door's always open. YOU just have to step through it!

Your overtures of friendship are pathetic. WAY too much water under the
Fane Creek bridge. It's over John, permanently, and if I quit having
anything to do with RFC, go ahead and toot your horn about how you drove
me away by your pathetic stalking. Find a new *friend* to stalk.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 7:46:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> Thanks for all the great replies so far. I can't wait to take my first step on
> this journey. Hopefully over the weekend. Probably start with pork or chicken.
> Or hell, maybe there's room on my grill for both. Oh, and once I start the
> smoking process, do I have to be fussing with the meat? Turning it, etc? When I
> waatch TV shows, it seems like they just put the meat into a smoker and leave it
> for however long and let it smoke. Thanks again. I appreciate all the help.

I don't fuss with the meat or the grill after I put the Boston butt on the cool side of the grill and the lid with the half opened vents over it. That draws the smoke over it and after about 2 hours I see no more smoke it's telling me it's time for beauty to go inside. It's finished in the oven for 3 hours so
not really sure how long it will take on a gas grill. But if you're using
wood chips then I'd be watching for the absence of smoke after about 2 hours.

If I had a true smoker I don't think I'd be re-arranging the meat, just would be checking on when I needed more wood chunks. Anybody else here smoke on a
gas grill that can answer his question?? But I do know that lifting lids and peaking loses a LOT of heat, so don't do that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 May 2015 18:35:39 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 7:23:16 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 May 2015 19:29:20 -0400, wrote:
>>
>> >Okay, after years of grilling, I want to try smoking food on my gas grill. I kow
>> >I can buy wood chips, soak them, put them in an aluminum pan with a cover with
>> >holes punched in it for the smoke, but...
>> >
>> >What would be the best thing to try to smoke for my maiden voyage into this
>> >realm? Chicken, pork, beef? And are there certain woods that go better with
>> >certain meats?
>> >
>> >I can probably find recipes by Googling, but I'd like to get some first hand
>> >experience if I could.
>> >
>> >Thanks.

>> Best smoked chicken I ever ate was at Bryan's house years ago. We were
>> in Bryan's back yard grilling chicken on a nothing-but-hickory-wood
>> fire on a Weber kettle grill, I think. We were also drinking a lot of
>> beers, so our attention to the grill fire and production of hickory
>> coals fr5om that fire was marginal at best, resulting in a VERY long
>> cooking time as Bryan fiddled with the fire in between beers. Must've
>> taken about 4 maybe 5 hours before we considered the chicken done, and
>> YUM!!!! Hickory-smokiest most delicious chicken BBQed smoked chicken I
>> ever ate!!
>>
>> Remember Bryan? It's those kind of memories that make me miss my
>> friend Bryan. And we have MANY more wonderful and a few contentious
>> memories that we share. As old friends always do! Please get sopme
>> good therapy and maybe someday we can start making new "old memories"
>> again!
>>
>> The door's always open. YOU just have to step through it!
>>

>Your overtures of friendship are pathetic. WAY too much water under the
>Fane Creek bridge. It's over John, permanently, and if I quit having
>anything to do with RFC, go ahead and toot your horn about how you drove
>me away by your pathetic stalking. Find a new *friend* to stalk.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>--Bryan

Sad, Bryan. Get therapy, you need it more than I need friends.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 7:31:04 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> Okay, after years of grilling, I want to try smoking food on my gas grill. I kow
> I can buy wood chips, soak them, put them in an aluminum pan with a cover with
> holes punched in it for the smoke, but...
>
> What would be the best thing to try to smoke for my maiden voyage into this
> realm? Chicken, pork, beef? And are there certain woods that go better with
> certain meats?

Chicken thighs are pretty easy, cheap and only take 90 minutes or so. I used to put them on a rack over a shallow pan as far away from the one lit burner as possible. A little lemon pepper is a good seasoning/rub. That's where I would start.

Now I have purpose built smoker and I still smoke chicken thighs. Good flavor and hard to screw up.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, VA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"W. Lohman" wrote in message ...

>On 5/13/2015 6:18 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>> I'd never smoke over oak.

>It's traditional in MO. bbq.

>http://www.twinoakwoodfired.com/

That’s your cite, a pizza joint? Ahhhhhhhhhahahaaaaaaaaa...

You have no idea what's traditional in MO.

Real athoritative there, Boneless.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>> Okay, after years of grilling, I want to try smoking food on
>> my gas grill. I kow
>> I can buy wood chips, soak them, put them in an aluminum pan
>> with a cover with
>> holes punched in it for the smoke, but...
>>
>> What would be the best thing to try to smoke for my maiden
>> voyage into this
>> realm? Chicken, pork, beef? And are there certain woods that
>> go better with
>> certain meats?
>>
>> I can probably find recipes by Googling, but I'd like to get
>> some first hand
>> experience if I could.
>>
>> Thanks.

> Thanks for all the great replies so far. I can't wait to take
> my first step on
> this journey. Hopefully over the weekend. Probably start with
> pork or chicken.
> Or hell, maybe there's room on my grill for both. Oh, and once
> I start the
> smoking process, do I have to be fussing with the meat?
> Turning it, etc? When I
> waatch TV shows, it seems like they just put the meat into a
> smoker and leave it
> for however long and let it smoke. Thanks again. I appreciate
> all the help.

>Using the indirect heat method you will want to rotate what
>you're cooking to insure an even smoke.

>http://www.weber.com/weber-nation/grill-skills/mastering-smoke/smoke-grill->setups/smoking-on-a-gas-grill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=droqmzBbBsE
>How to set up a smoker box on a gas grill

>You'll really like this last tutorial:

>http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/how-to/article/how-to-make-texas-style->smoked-brisket-in-a-gas-grill

People don't need any help to look shit up on Google, Boneless.
And they don't need someone to paraphrase websites. They ask
here because they want someone who knows what they are doing to
answer their question.

That lets you out, eh, poser?

ahhhhahahaaaaaaaaaaa.....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/13/2015 8:07 PM, Frothty the Lohman wrote:

> "W. Lohman" wrote in message ...
>
>> On 5/13/2015 6:18 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>>> I'd never smoke over oak.

>> It's traditional in MO. bbq.

>> http://www.twinoakwoodfired.com/

> That’s your cite, a pizza joint? Ahhhhhhhhhahahaaaaaaaaa...

That's your reading comprehension again?

http://www.twinoakwoodfired.com/menu

> You have no idea what's traditional in MO.

You hate it when I count coup on yer turf, sissy!

> Real athoritative there, Boneless.

http://www.ribcitystlouis.com/

All of our meats are slow cooked in our wood-burning smokers! Choice
cuts of meat are basted with our signature barbecue sauce and smoked
over selected hardwoods, including Red Oak.

http://www.experiencekc.com/barbeque.html

Equally important, said Willis, was the availability of hardwoods. The
entire area was forested in hickory, as well as oak, pecan, apple, and
other flavoring woods.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>>> Okay, after years of grilling, I want to try smoking food on my gas
>>> grill. I kow
>>> I can buy wood chips, soak them, put them in an aluminum pan with a
>>> cover with
>>> holes punched in it for the smoke, but...
>>>
>>> What would be the best thing to try to smoke for my maiden voyage
>>> into this
>>> realm? Chicken, pork, beef? And are there certain woods that go
>>> better with
>>> certain meats?
>>>
>>> I can probably find recipes by Googling, but I'd like to get some
>>> first hand
>>> experience if I could.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> Thanks for all the great replies so far. I can't wait to take my first
>> step on
>> this journey. Hopefully over the weekend. Probably start with pork or
>> chicken.
>> Or hell, maybe there's room on my grill for both. Oh, and once I start
>> the
>> smoking process, do I have to be fussing with the meat? Turning it,
>> etc? When I
>> waatch TV shows, it seems like they just put the meat into a smoker
>> and leave it
>> for however long and let it smoke. Thanks again. I appreciate all the
>> help.

>> Using the indirect heat method you will want to rotate what you're
>> cooking to insure an even smoke.

>> http://www.weber.com/weber-nation/grill-skills/mastering-smoke/smoke-grill->setups/smoking-on-a-gas-grill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=droqmzBbBsE
>> How to set up a smoker box on a gas grill

>> You'll really like this last tutorial:

>> http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/how-to/article/how-to-make-texas-style->smoked-brisket-in-a-gas-grill
>>

> People don't need any help to look shit up on Google, Boneless.

People love clear concise web pages with expressive diagrams and good
photos, greaseball.

> And they
> don't need someone to paraphrase websites.

They need Mr. Know-it-All, whose BBQ acumen is world renowned:

KC Luzer-Q:

http://www.nationalbbqrankings.com/ranking/team/4202

Chicken Contests
Contests since 14/Jun/2008
Current rank: 2747th (Updated: 25/Feb/2013)

Ribs Contests
Contests since 23/Apr/2010
Current rank: 818th (Updated: 25/Feb/2013)

Pork Contests
Contests since 24/Apr/2009
Current rank: 2016th (Updated: 25/Feb/2013)

LOL!!!!!

> They ask here because they
> want someone who knows what they are doing to answer their question.

KC Luzer Q?

Huh?

> That lets you out, eh, poser?
>
> ahhhhahahaaaaaaaaaaa.....

Your team rankings speak for you - always, LUZER!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"W. BLohman" trolled badly:

>Frothty the Loman wrote:

> Real athoritative there, Boneless.

cut and paste work clipped unread

lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 7:58:19 PM UTC-5, W. Lohman wrote:
> On 5/13/2015 6:18 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> > I'd never smoke over oak.

> It's traditional in MO. bbq.
>

> http://www.twinoakwoodfired.com/

That place is half a mile from my house, and I'd never even considered eating
there. I have hickory aplenty in my back yard, plus peach, cherry and plum.
Some limited quantity of apple as well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/361781...posted-public/

Looking at that Twin Oak website, the $6 12" sausage, green pepper and caramelized onion happy hour pizza might be interesting.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/13/2015 10:58 PM, Frothty the Lohman wrote:
> cut and paste work clipped unread

Jethro - PWNd, as usual, lol!~

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/14/2015 7:44 AM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 7:58:19 PM UTC-5, W. Lohman wrote:
>> On 5/13/2015 6:18 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>>> I'd never smoke over oak.

>> It's traditional in MO. bbq.
>>

>> http://www.twinoakwoodfired.com/

> That place is half a mile from my house, and I'd never even considered eating
> there. I have hickory aplenty in my back yard, plus peach, cherry and plum.
> Some limited quantity of apple as well.

But a restaurant is for convenience.

> https://www.flickr.com/photos/361781...posted-public/
>
> Looking at that Twin Oak website, the $6 12" sausage, green pepper and caramelized onion happy hour pizza might be interesting.
>
> --Bryan

I'd agree too!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 7:31:04 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> Okay, after years of grilling, I want to try smoking food on my gas >grill.

I have read the responses so far. I would like to point out that if you have something on the grill for 4 hours you do not need 4 hours of smoke.
Also for the fun of it, you can smoke cheese.
One more, keep a water bottle handy for when your wood ignites. You will know when the smoke suddenly stops.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> Okay, after years of grilling, I want to try smoking food on my gas grill. I kow
>> I can buy wood chips, soak them, put them in an aluminum pan with a cover with
>> holes punched in it for the smoke, but...
>>
>> What would be the best thing to try to smoke for my maiden voyage into this
>> realm? Chicken, pork, beef? And are there certain woods that go better with
>> certain meats?
>>
>> I can probably find recipes by Googling, but I'd like to get some first hand
>> experience if I could.
>>
>> Thanks.

> Thanks again for all the replies and suggestions.
>
> The one thing that I'm not sure about is this: I have a Weber Q320 gas grill. It
> has two burners. One is a loop around the outer edge of the grill and one is a
> single straight pipe down the center. If I just use the loop burner, there's
> about 12 inches of space that's not directly over the flame. I'm wondering if
> this is far enough away from the flame? I see mention of a "cool" side of the
> grill. I don't see mine as having aa cool side anywhere.

You have a tougher nut to crack, but...

I believe I'd use the center burner, then push the food to either side
when smoking.

In essence your grill was never designed for indirect heat, just low or
medium heat cooking.

Invest in a Weber kettle and a chimney and some charcoal, you will never
regret it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 15, 2015 at 2:28:31 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> Thanks again for all the replies and suggestions.
>
> The one thing that I'm not sure about is this: I have a Weber Q320 gas grill. It
> has two burners. One is a loop around the outer edge of the grill and one is a
> single straight pipe down the center.

That's an odd design. Most gas grills I'm used to have 3 or more straight burners side by side across the width of the grill, or sometimes front to back. In any of those you could light the one burner farthest away from where the meat will be. In your case I would probably try the single center burner at as low a flame as it can maintain, and keep the meat near the edges.

Again it's hard to screw up chicken thighs (bone in, skin on), they can take a bit of heat, but if you can keep it under 300 or 275F it will be better..

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, VA

Smoking on a gas grill W. Lohman Barbecue 2 14-05-2015 05:17 AM
Q-usetion about smoking on a grill Borax Barbecue 6 18-03-2005 03:22 PM
Smoking on a gas grill Todd Barbecue 14 26-12-2004 12:57 AM
Smoking a turkey on the grill Isaac Wingfield General Cooking 2 01-12-2004 04:08 AM
Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker & Grill - Viable Grilling & Smoking Solution? Jake Barbecue 3 10-03-2004 08:51 PM