Borax

Default Q-usetion about smoking on a grill

Hi.

I'm pretty new here, so please bear with me if I seem dumb. I just got
a GE Monogram 48" gas grill. I'll be building it in soon, so while I
wait I am thinking (sometimes a bad thing). The grill has a 5,000 btu
smoker burner and tray. Any ideas as to how hot that would make the
inside of the cooking chamber if I wanted to smoke low and slow?

I realize that I can turn the knob up or down, but let's say it's 85
outside, how hot would a 5,000 bto burner make it inside? I'm just
trying to figure out if I can find a balance of hot enough flame to
smoke the wood but low enough temperature that I can go for a long
cook.

Thanks.

Duwop

"Borax" > wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I'm pretty new here, so please bear with me if I seem dumb. I just got
> a GE Monogram 48" gas grill. I'll be building it in soon, so while I
> wait I am thinking (sometimes a bad thing). The grill has a 5,000 btu
> smoker burner and tray. Any ideas as to how hot that would make the
> inside of the cooking chamber if I wanted to smoke low and slow?

Starting with the very basics here?
Check out the BBQ FAQ for lots of info, including temps for different meats,
or just search this NG
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.food.barbecue

Here's Bill Wright's posting on the BBQ FAQ
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...90a815b88a1974

> I realize that I can turn the knob up or down, but let's say it's 85
> outside, how hot would a 5,000 bto burner make it inside? I'm just
> trying to figure out if I can find a balance of hot enough flame to
> smoke the wood but low enough temperature that I can go for a long
> cook.

Others have, so you can too.

Here's other threads on this topic:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...rill%22&qt_g=1

Dale

Steve Calvin

Duwop wrote:
> "Borax" > wrote in message
>
>>Hi.
>>
>>I'm pretty new here, so please bear with me if I seem dumb. I just got
>>a GE Monogram 48" gas grill. I'll be building it in soon, so while I
>>wait I am thinking (sometimes a bad thing). The grill has a 5,000 btu
>>smoker burner and tray. Any ideas as to how hot that would make the
>>inside of the cooking chamber if I wanted to smoke low and slow?

> Starting with the very basics here?
> Check out the BBQ FAQ for lots of info, including temps for different meats,
> or just search this NG
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.food.barbecue
>
> Here's Bill Wright's posting on the BBQ FAQ
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...90a815b88a1974
>

>>I realize that I can turn the knob up or down, but let's say it's 85
>>outside, how hot would a 5,000 bto burner make it inside? I'm just
>>trying to figure out if I can find a balance of hot enough flame to
>>smoke the wood but low enough temperature that I can go for a long
>>cook.

> Others have, so you can too.
>
> Here's other threads on this topic:
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...rill%22&qt_g=1
>

> Dale

Excellent advice. More than likely you'll find most if not all of the
answers you seek.

I started BBQing on my Weber gasser. It was doable but made a royal
mess out of the inside of the grill and then when I really fired that
sucker up to sear some steaks it smoked and/or burnt the grease on the
bottom if the unit. I'd suggest that you do yourself a bigger favor and
get a real smoker. If $ is a consideration or you're not sure about
diving in feet first, pick up a Weber WSM for around $170 or so. Good
unit. Pretty easy to run and great results.

I'm told the ceramics are better but the WSM's fine in my book.

--
Steve
F.G. Whitfurrows

Christine Allison wrote:
> The WSM and other bullet units are WATER SMOKERS. They moderate the
> heat of the burning charcoal by placing a pan filled with water
> between the heat and the food. There is no escaping it... you are
> cooking with steam and smoke (partially anyway).

First let me say that I was just trying to stir things up a bit. I hadn't
seen the old metal vs ceramic argument around here for awhile.

Now as to the statement above.....yes there is an escape from cooking with
steam in WSM. I just don't put water in my water pan.

I have escaped.......I *am* free.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Greg Muncill

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:23:40 GMT, "Christine Allison"
> wrote:
>

>Water is a bi-product of combustion so any smoker which burns fuel is going
>to have water vapor present in the air stream.

You are a little confused. Water is a bi-product of
combustion of hydrocarbon fuels, such as natural gas,
propane, wood, gasoline, etc. The combustion formula
for natural gas is:

2 CH4 + 4 O2 = 2 CO2 + 4 H2O

Charcoal, which is the fuel usually used in the WSM, is
composed of almost pure carbon. The combustion formula
now is:

C + O2 = CO2

No hydrogen around from the hydrocarbons? - no water.

>In a water smoker the water pan contributes additional water vapor.

Unless you use sand, as has been pointed out.

Greg

Christine Allison

Thanks very much for the input. I stand corrected. Of course it makes the
difference between pits vs water smokers even greater then what I proposed
earlier.

On the other hand I don't think lump is 100% pure carbon. Assuming that is
the case it is possible that some water vapor is present in the combustion
products.

Richard Smith

"Greg Muncill" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:23:40 GMT, "Christine Allison"
> > wrote:
> >

> >Water is a bi-product of combustion so any smoker which burns fuel is

going
> >to have water vapor present in the air stream.
> >

> You are a little confused. Water is a bi-product of
> combustion of hydrocarbon fuels, such as natural gas,
> propane, wood, gasoline, etc. The combustion formula
> for natural gas is:
>
> 2 CH4 + 4 O2 = 2 CO2 + 4 H2O
>
> Charcoal, which is the fuel usually used in the WSM, is
> composed of almost pure carbon. The combustion formula
> now is:
>
> C + O2 = CO2
>
> No hydrogen around from the hydrocarbons? - no water.
>
> >In a water smoker the water pan contributes additional water vapor.
> >

> Unless you use sand, as has been pointed out.
>

> Greg

Greg Muncill

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:01:50 GMT, Richard > wrote:

>Thanks very much for the input. I stand corrected. Of course it makes the
>difference between pits vs water smokers even greater then what I proposed
>earlier.

Unless... you.... use.... sand.... in... the... WSM. And don't forget
the "purists" who will only use wood in the pit - lots of water. Does
that make charcoal "better" than wood in the pit smokers? I don't
know as I've never done wood barbecueing, but that puts another
wrinkle in your theory.

>On the other hand I don't think lump is 100% pure carbon. Assuming that is
>the case it is possible that some water vapor is present in the combustion
>products.

Production of charcoal, as an organic reaction, will not be 100%
conversion. The leftovers will be some hydrocarbons as tars and
non combustibles such as potash and other minerals. The proportions
will vary according to the method and wood source used to produce the
Charcoal.

Charcoal may give off some water vapor but it will be minor in
comparison to pure hydrocarbon fuels. As a comparison, a
40,000 BTU/Hr gas grill running full bore will give off a quart
and a half (3 pounds) of water per hour. That's probably equivalent
or more mass than the charcoal fuel you would burn in a charcoal
grill over the same time period.

Greg

Smoking on a gas grill [email protected] General Cooking 29 16-05-2015 04:26 PM
Smoking on a gas grill W. Lohman Barbecue 2 14-05-2015 05:17 AM
Smoking on a gas grill Todd Barbecue 14 26-12-2004 12:57 AM
Smoking a turkey on the grill Isaac Wingfield General Cooking 2 01-12-2004 04:08 AM
Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker & Grill - Viable Grilling & Smoking Solution? Jake Barbecue 3 10-03-2004 08:51 PM