Bob

Default Dorothy Lynch salad dressing: Sanity check

This recipe is posted in various places about the Web:

DOROTHY LYNCH DRESSING

1 c. vegetable oil
1 c. sugar
1 can tomato soup
1/2 c. dark cider vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. garlic powder

Mix all ingredients. Refrigerate.

Here's my question: AN ENTIRE CUP OF SUGAR? Can that be right?

Has anybody tried this?

Bob

Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby

"Bob" wrote
> This recipe is posted in various places about the Web:
>
> DOROTHY LYNCH DRESSING
>
> 1 c. vegetable oil
> 1 c. sugar
> 1 can tomato soup
> 1/2 c. dark cider vinegar
> 1 tsp. salt
> 1 tsp. pepper
> 2 tsp. dry mustard
> 1 tsp. celery seed
> 1 tsp. garlic powder
>
> Mix all ingredients. Refrigerate.
>

> Here's my question: AN ENTIRE CUP OF SUGAR? Can that be right?
>
> Has anybody tried this?
>
> Bob

This just can't be right. I had the dressing on a salad at a restaurant in
Kearney, Nebraska, just this past Saturday evening. Not only wasn't it
syrupy, it had enough black pepper in it to have a very nice kick!

Pam

Lynn Gifford

Imperial French Dressing
My mother made this. It's not too sweet and keeps well in the
refrigerator - at least I think it would; it never lasts very long!
Simmer till sugar is dissolved:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp onion salt
1/2 tsp celery seed
dash Tabasco®
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dill
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
Whisk in:
1 cup catsup
1 cup olive oil (I use less 1/2 c?)
1 cup vegetable oil (I use less)
3 TB capers
1 1/2 tsp caper juice
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves minced fresh garlic
Makes 2-3 cups. Shake before serving.

Lynn from Fargo
where Dorothy Lynch® (regular and diet) is available in the
supermarkets

BBQ Sanity Always W/ WEEZAH Barbecue 1 01-10-2016 08:17 PM
Salad Dressing BBQ General Cooking 41 27-03-2015 11:35 PM
preserving my sanity....;-) Kathi Jones Preserving 6 29-08-2006 06:04 AM
Salad dressing Dee Randall Asian Cooking 7 30-11-2004 12:29 PM
Jimmy Durante's Salad Dressing Salad 7Hawks Recipes 0 20-11-2004 11:02 PM