Old 15-06-2021, 11:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Carnival Squash

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 12:39:58 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 21:35:50 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
wrote:

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 1:16:48 PM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 6:27:39 PM UTC-4, US Janet wrote:
This is the acorn type squash that I grow. It is really sweet and not
stringy. Each squash serves one or two people. The squash stores
well after picking. I recomend you try this one. Suitable for
container growing.
https://tinyurl.com/3j5w9dwk
Janet US
Since I was a kid, I never liked squash. I've even tried eggplant. I don't think it was eggplant parmesan (Melanzana alla Parmigiana) or not.

Eggplant is kind of a slimy, squishy, vegetable so a lot of folks dislike it.

Not liking eggplant is new to me. If a lot of folks disliked it, I'd
have noticed. But maybe in the US.

I always thought why waste time with eggplant when you could order cheese lasagna?

Old 15-06-2021, 11:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 4:33:08 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 7:16:48 PM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 6:27:39 PM UTC-4, US Janet wrote:
This is the acorn type squash that I grow. It is really sweet and not
stringy. Each squash serves one or two people. The squash stores
well after picking. I recomend you try this one. Suitable for
container growing.
https://tinyurl.com/3j5w9dwk
Janet US

Since I was a kid, I never liked squash. I've even tried eggplant. I don't think it was eggplant parmesan (Melanzana alla Parmigiana) or not.

Eggplant isn't squash. It's more closely related to tomatoes and potatoes.

Cindy Hamilton

Below it says that egg plant is sometimes referred to as 'guinea squash'.
Eggplant
plant
WRITTEN BY
The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica
Encyclopaedia Britannica's editors oversee subject areas in which they have extensive knowledge, whether from years of experience gained by working on that content or via study for an advanced degree....
See Article History
Alternative Titles: Solanum melongena, aubergine, guinea squash
Eggplant, (Solanum melongena), also called aubergine or Guinea squash, tender perennial plant of the nightshade family (Solanaceae), grown for its edible fruits.
-- https://www.britannica.com/plant/eggplant
Old 15-06-2021, 11:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 11:44:40 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 02:36:42 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
wrote:

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 10:49:30 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 23:55:25 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
wrote:

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 7:47:11 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 22:17:00 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
wrote:

I love eggplant and bitter melon, but I can understand why people can't stomach the stuff.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CLLFDvqfMY1uAB6L8
I find bitter melon much harder to appreciate than eggplant.

That's understandable. Bitter melon literally tastes like aspirin. The harder question is why do people love the stuff? I don't know. The Chinese believe that it has medicinal properties. It does seem to have a positive effect on blood glucose levels.
Maybe they can put it in pill form. People already take garlic,
ginger, turmeric etc pills. Why not bitter melon.

That makes as much sense as taking a steak in pill form. I don't eat bitter melon because it has an effect on blood glucose levels - that's not real important to me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uw1QJj6Pc5qwtPfv5

You and a couple of Chinese (roughly one billion) may be the only ones
who like the flavour, but if it's good for people's health -real or
perceived- a pill would make sense for the rest of the world's
population. And lo and behold, it already exists.

--
Bruce

I don't believe in other people's tastes - I just believe in mine. I won't be buying bitter melon pills but I will be buying bitter melon. The Chinese got all kinds of ways to make bitter melon less bitter. That's just silly - I like it full on bitter. 😜
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uw1QJj6Pc5qwtPfv5
Old 15-06-2021, 11:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

If you like bitter melon, it wouldn't make sense to buy bitter melon
pills. Just like I'd rather drink red wine than buy resveratrol pills.

--
Bruce
Old 15-06-2021, 11:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 1:16:48 PM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 6:27:39 PM UTC-4, US Janet wrote:
This is the acorn type squash that I grow. It is really sweet and not
stringy. Each squash serves one or two people. The squash stores
well after picking. I recomend you try this one. Suitable for
container growing.
https://tinyurl.com/3j5w9dwk
Janet US
Since I was a kid, I never liked squash. I've even tried eggplant. I don't think it was eggplant parmesan (Melanzana alla Parmigiana) or not.

Eggplant is kind of a slimy, squishy, vegetable so a lot of folks dislike it.

Not liking eggplant is new to me. If a lot of folks disliked it, I'd
have noticed. But maybe in the US.

I always thought why waste time with eggplant when you could order cheese lasagna?

That's like saying "why waste time with ice cream when you could order
Chinese takeaway".

--
Bruce

Old 15-06-2021, 11:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 03:39:10 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 4:33:08 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 7:16:48 PM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 6:27:39 PM UTC-4, US Janet wrote:
This is the acorn type squash that I grow. It is really sweet and not
stringy. Each squash serves one or two people. The squash stores
well after picking. I recomend you try this one. Suitable for
container growing.
https://tinyurl.com/3j5w9dwk
Janet US
Since I was a kid, I never liked squash. I've even tried eggplant. I don't think it was eggplant parmesan (Melanzana alla Parmigiana) or not.

Eggplant isn't squash. It's more closely related to tomatoes and potatoes.

Cindy Hamilton

Below it says that egg plant is sometimes referred to as 'guinea squash'.

When I quit smoking 16 years ago, someone told me there's nicotine in
eggplant. But you'd have to eat a box full of it, to get anywhere.

--
Bruce
Old 15-06-2021, 12:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-15 12:35 a.m., dsi1 wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 1:16:48 PM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 6:27:39 PM UTC-4, US Janet wrote:
This is the acorn type squash that I grow. It is really sweet and
not stringy. Each squash serves one or two people. The squash
stores well after picking. I recomend you try this one. Suitable
for container growing. https://tinyurl.com/3j5w9dwk Janet US

Since I was a kid, I never liked squash. I've even tried eggplant.
I don't think it was eggplant parmesan (Melanzana alla Parmigiana)
or not.

Eggplant is kind of a slimy, squishy, vegetable so a lot of folks
dislike it. It's also hard to cook.

I only started using it recently. I don't find it slimy. I cut it into
chunks and use it in ratatouille. It acts as a meat substitute.

I like to cook eggplant. I get it right about half the time. My wife
and I really like Chinese style spicy garlic eggplant and Korean
eggplant is probably the most umami rich dish I've ever had. My guess
is that it's a dish that's hard for most people to swallow. It's
dishes like that that are the most sublime.

I meant to get some eggplant yesterday to try making baba ganoush

Old 15-06-2021, 12:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 07:35:42 -0400, Dave Smith

On 2021-06-15 12:35 a.m., dsi1 wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 1:16:48 PM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 6:27:39 PM UTC-4, US Janet wrote:
This is the acorn type squash that I grow. It is really sweet and
not stringy. Each squash serves one or two people. The squash
stores well after picking. I recomend you try this one. Suitable
for container growing. https://tinyurl.com/3j5w9dwk Janet US
Since I was a kid, I never liked squash. I've even tried eggplant.
I don't think it was eggplant parmesan (Melanzana alla Parmigiana)
or not.

Eggplant is kind of a slimy, squishy, vegetable so a lot of folks
dislike it. It's also hard to cook.

I only started using it recently.

Maybe it's a lot more common and liked in Europe and Australia than in
the US. Every country has its peculiarities. Americans love corn (and
bourbon). Japanese children hate green "bell pepper". Personally, I
love blanket statements.

--
Bruce
Old 15-06-2021, 01:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
US Janet wrote:

This is the acorn type squash that I grow. It is really sweet and not
stringy. Each squash serves one or two people. The squash stores
well after picking. I recomend you try this one. Suitable for
container growing.
https://tinyurl.com/3j5w9dwk
Janet US

Thanks! That may be fun to try!

we normally don't grow any kind of acorn squash but this season
i put in a few Dumpling Squash for more variety. we'll see how
they do and if they survive and finish fruits in time.

the vining crop i like the most are fresh melons. can't get
some of the good heirloom melons at the store because they don't
travel or store well, but they sure are good fresh from the garden.

songbird
Old 15-06-2021, 02:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 6:39:14 AM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 4:33:08 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 7:16:48 PM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 6:27:39 PM UTC-4, US Janet wrote:
This is the acorn type squash that I grow. It is really sweet and not
stringy. Each squash serves one or two people. The squash stores
well after picking. I recomend you try this one. Suitable for
container growing.
https://tinyurl.com/3j5w9dwk
Janet US
Since I was a kid, I never liked squash. I've even tried eggplant. I don't think it was eggplant parmesan (Melanzana alla Parmigiana) or not.

Eggplant isn't squash. It's more closely related to tomatoes and potatoes.

Cindy Hamilton

Below it says that egg plant is sometimes referred to as 'guinea squash'.

That doesn't make it a squash.

Tomatoes have been called "wolf peach". Does that make them peaches?

Cindy Hamilton

Old 15-06-2021, 03:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 03:39:10 -0700, bruce bowser wrote:

Below it says that egg plant is sometimes referred
to as 'guinea squash'.

Beware, Cindy. Bruce 'Lite', like Steve & myself, often deliberately
drops remotely related seemingly erroneous tidbits which can later be
shown to be true albeit having a minimal relevance to the current context
of the discussion.

I did so recently by pointing out that silver (the BEST 'normal'
conductor of electricity) is used as an electrical insulator in
superconductors.
Old 15-06-2021, 04:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/06/2021 14:43, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 6:39:14 AM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 4:33:08 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 7:16:48 PM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
Since I was a kid, I never liked squash. I've even tried eggplant. I don't think it was eggplant parmesan (Melanzana alla Parmigiana) or not.
Eggplant isn't squash. It's more closely related to tomatoes and potatoes.

Below it says that egg plant is sometimes referred to as 'guinea squash'.

That doesn't make it a squash.

Tomatoes have been called "wolf peach". Does that make them peaches?

Also have been called 'love apples', but they aren't apples...
Old 15-06-2021, 04:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2021 12:35 AM, dsi1 wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 1:16:48 PM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 6:27:39 PM UTC-4, US Janet wrote:
This is the acorn type squash that I grow. It is really sweet and not
stringy. Each squash serves one or two people. The squash stores
well after picking. I recomend you try this one. Suitable for
container growing.
https://tinyurl.com/3j5w9dwk
Janet US

Since I was a kid, I never liked squash. I've even tried eggplant. I don't think it was eggplant parmesan (Melanzana alla Parmigiana) or not.

Eggplant is kind of a slimy, squishy, vegetable so a lot of folks dislike it. It's also hard to cook.

I like to cook eggplant. I get it right about half the time. My wife and I really like Chinese style spicy garlic eggplant and Korean eggplant is probably the most umami rich dish I've ever had. My guess is that it's a dish that's hard for most people to swallow. It's dishes like that that are the most sublime.

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/gaji-namul

It's easy enough to bread and fry. People pay good money for that at
Italian restaurants with just a bit of pasta sauce and Parmesan on it.
Old 15-06-2021, 04:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 10:13:27 AM UTC-4, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 03:39:10 -0700, bruce bowser wrote:

Below it says that egg plant is sometimes referred
to as 'guinea squash'.

Beware, Cindy. Bruce 'Lite', like Steve & myself, often deliberately
drops remotely related seemingly erroneous tidbits which can later be
shown to be true albeit having a minimal relevance to the current context
of the discussion.

I did so recently by pointing out that silver (the BEST 'normal'
conductor of electricity) is used as an electrical insulator in
superconductors.

I also never mentioned Silver. Just Aluminum and Gold.
Old 15-06-2021, 06:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2021 4:16 PM, bruce bowser wrote:

Since I was a kid, I never liked squash. I've even tried eggplant.

Eggplant isn't a type of squash, dumbass. It's one of the nightshade
foods.

Carnival of Love Lee H Wine 4 02-04-2008 02:43 PM
Carnival of Drinking Call for Submissions [email protected] Beer 0 29-04-2006 05:49 PM
Carnival of Drinking Call for Submissions Mike Wine 0 29-04-2006 05:48 PM
TN: Small Carnival Gathering (Brouilly, Aligot, NZ Riesling, CdR) Jim Wine 35 27-02-2006 09:33 PM
Frappe: Italian carnival biscuits [email protected] General Cooking 11 29-01-2006 07:33 PM