Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default home made chocolate pudding

which would you prefer flour fried with butter based or
corn starch based?

i have all the ingredients and i've made both kinds
before and i prefer the flour and butter kind.

or is there some other method/ingredients you'd
use to make chocolate pudding?

Mom brought home five more bananas and we'll need
to eat them up sooner rather than later and one way
she will eat them is if they're sliced in chocolate
pudding.

and, yes, my google isn't broken, but i thought it
an interesting topic for the group.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 00:38:59 -0500, songbird wrote:

> which would you prefer flour fried with butter based or
> corn starch based?

Eww to both. How about egg yolk based. I've never heard of a roux
based pudding.

-
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 7:39:13 PM UTC-10, songbird wrote:
> which would you prefer flour fried with butter based or
> corn starch based?
>
> i have all the ingredients and i've made both kinds
> before and i prefer the flour and butter kind.
>
> or is there some other method/ingredients you'd
> use to make chocolate pudding?
>
> Mom brought home five more bananas and we'll need
> to eat them up sooner rather than later and one way
> she will eat them is if they're sliced in chocolate
> pudding.
>
> and, yes, my google isn't broken, but i thought it
> an interesting topic for the group.
>

> songbird

I have a bag of creme brulee mix that uses carrageenan as a thickening agent. There's no eggs and it's not set by heat. Just heat the mix until it starts to boil and cook for about a minute. That's it. Super fast and it makes the best creme brulee ever. It's a German product.
https://store.bakerscandc.com/creme-...mix-35oz-14666
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 12:39:13 AM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
> which would you prefer flour fried with butter based or
> corn starch based?
>
> i have all the ingredients and i've made both kinds
> before and i prefer the flour and butter kind.

Then make that kind.

I prefer cornstarch.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2021 12:38 AM, songbird wrote:
> which would you prefer flour fried with butter based or
> corn starch based?
>
> i have all the ingredients and i've made both kinds
> before and i prefer the flour and butter kind.
>
> or is there some other method/ingredients you'd
> use to make chocolate pudding?
>
> Mom brought home five more bananas and we'll need
> to eat them up sooner rather than later and one way
> she will eat them is if they're sliced in chocolate
> pudding.
>
> and, yes, my google isn't broken, but i thought it
> an interesting topic for the group.

As I rarely make chocolate pudding, I'm fine with the occasional "Jello"
brand. The kind you cook, not the instant.

I like a banana in a bowl with vanilla ice cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2021 2:35 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 7:39:13 PM UTC-10, songbird wrote:
>> which would you prefer flour fried with butter based or
>> corn starch based?
>>
>> i have all the ingredients and i've made both kinds
>> before and i prefer the flour and butter kind.
>>
>> or is there some other method/ingredients you'd
>> use to make chocolate pudding?
>>
>> Mom brought home five more bananas and we'll need
>> to eat them up sooner rather than later and one way
>> she will eat them is if they're sliced in chocolate
>> pudding.
>>
>> and, yes, my google isn't broken, but i thought it
>> an interesting topic for the group.
>>

>> songbird

> I have a bag of creme brulee mix that uses carrageenan as a thickening agent. There's no eggs and it's not set by heat. Just heat the mix until it starts to boil and cook for about a minute. That's it. Super fast and it makes the best creme brulee ever. It's a German product.
> https://store.bakerscandc.com/creme-...mix-35oz-14666

"It's not set by heat"? I think it is. That is why you heat it. and
what does it matter?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2021 9:38 PM, songbird wrote:
> which would you prefer flour fried with butter based or
> corn starch based?
>
> i have all the ingredients and i've made both kinds
> before and i prefer the flour and butter kind.
>
> or is there some other method/ingredients you'd
> use to make chocolate pudding?
>
> Mom brought home five more bananas and we'll need
> to eat them up sooner rather than later and one way
> she will eat them is if they're sliced in chocolate
> pudding.
>
> and, yes, my google isn't broken, but i thought it
> an interesting topic for the group.
>

> songbird

What is it about the four and butter kind that you find preferable to
the cornstarch version?

Other thickeners: Tapioca flour? Arrowroot?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 02:35:57 -0800, dsi1 wrote:

> I have a bag of crème brûlée mix that uses carrageenan

> https://store.bakerscandc.com/creme-...mix-35oz-14666

C'mon. If you don't burn the cream, call it something else.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2021 7:02 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 02:35:57 -0800, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> I have a bag of crème brûlée mix that uses carrageenan

>> https://store.bakerscandc.com/creme-...mix-35oz-14666

> C'mon. If you don't burn the cream, call it something else.

Instructions say to sprinkle sugar on top and torch it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 03:40:00 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 12:39:13 AM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
>> which would you prefer flour fried with butter based or
>> corn starch based?
>>
>> i have all the ingredients and i've made both kinds
>> before and i prefer the flour and butter kind.

>Then make that kind.
>
>I prefer cornstarch.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

One word: Tapioca.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2021 10:15 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 03:40:00 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 12:39:13 AM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
>>> which would you prefer flour fried with butter based or
>>> corn starch based?
>>>
>>> i have all the ingredients and i've made both kinds
>>> before and i prefer the flour and butter kind.

>> Then make that kind.
>>
>> I prefer cornstarch.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> One word: Tapioca.

One word: Jello lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-01-12 12:38 a.m., songbird wrote:
> which would you prefer flour fried with butter based or
> corn starch based?

Fried ????

> i have all the ingredients and i've made both kinds
> before and i prefer the flour and butter kind.

I usually make puddings with corn starch. The butter goes in at the end.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-01-12 8:55 a.m., Gary wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 12:38 AM, songbird wrote:
>> Â* which would you prefer flour fried with butter based or
>> corn starch based?
>>
>> Â* i have all the ingredients and i've made both kinds
>> before and i prefer the flour and butter kind.
>>
>> Â* or is there some other method/ingredients you'd
>> use to make chocolate pudding?
>>
>> Â* Mom brought home five more bananas and we'll need
>> to eat them up sooner rather than later and one way
>> she will eat them is if they're sliced in chocolate
>> pudding.
>>
>> Â* and, yes, my google isn't broken, but i thought it
>> an interesting topic for the group.

> As I rarely make chocolate pudding, I'm fine with the occasional "Jello"
> brand. The kind you cook, not the instant.

You should try making it from scratch some time. Those packaged pudding
mixes are way over priced. All they have is a bit of flour or
cornstarch, sugar and flavouring. You have to add the egg and the milk.
A minute or to extra prep time to get out and measure 3 ingredients,
and you end up with a much superior pudding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2021 10:15 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 03:40:00 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 12:39:13 AM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
>>> which would you prefer flour fried with butter based or
>>> corn starch based?
>>>
>>> i have all the ingredients and i've made both kinds
>>> before and i prefer the flour and butter kind.

>> Then make that kind.
>>
>> I prefer cornstarch.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> One word: Tapioca.
> I looked up Chocolate Tapioca pudding and found this link:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/21...pioca-pudding/

If I was interested in making chocolate pudding and also using tapioca,
I'd probably give that one a try. Truth be told, I've never tasted
or used tapioca in anything.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2021 12:38 AM, songbird wrote:
> Mom brought home five more bananas and we'll need
> to eat them up sooner rather than later and one way
> she will eat them is if they're sliced in chocolate
> pudding.

Okay, if she requires chocolate pudding to eat the bananas I wonder why
she keeps bringing them home. Ever thought of making Banana Pudding?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-01-12 11:22 a.m., jmcquown wrote:

> If I was interested in making chocolate pudding and also using tapioca,
> I'd probably give that one a try. Â* Truth be told, I've never tasted
> or used tapioca in anything.

Tapioca is interesting stuff, but it seems to be one of those things
that people love or hate I love it, especially the pearl tapioca, which
is really hard to find these days. Minit tapioca is easy enough to
make. You put the milk and tapioca in a pot and let it sit for 10
minutes or so, and then add the sugar and beaten egg and then bring it
to a boil, stirring. Pearly tapioca is a little more involved. You
need to soak it in water over night, pour off the water and add milk and
sugar. Simmer it for a while and then temper eggs and add them and stir
until it thickens.

I use Minit tapioca as a thicken for fruit pies. I love the results.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-01-12 11:28 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 12:38 AM, songbird wrote:
>> Â*Â* Mom brought home five more bananas and we'll need
>> to eat them up sooner rather than later and one way
>> she will eat them is if they're sliced in chocolate
>> pudding.
>>

> Okay, if she requires chocolate pudding to eat the bananas I wonder why
> she keeps bringing them home.Â* Ever thought of making Banana Pudding?

I used to love vanilla pudding with banana.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2021 11:44 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-01-12 11:28 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 1/12/2021 12:38 AM, songbird wrote:
>>> Â*Â* Mom brought home five more bananas and we'll need
>>> to eat them up sooner rather than later and one way
>>> she will eat them is if they're sliced in chocolate
>>> pudding.
>>>

>> Okay, if she requires chocolate pudding to eat the bananas I wonder
>> why she keeps bringing them home.Â* Ever thought of making Banana Pudding?

> I used to love vanilla pudding with banana.

The banana pudding I know is allegedly a "Southern US" thing made with
vanilla pudding mix and mashed bananas with Vanilla Wafers lining the
pudding bowl. I've seen it but never actually tried it. If I brought
home bananas I'd simply eat bananas.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taxed and Spent wrote:
> What is it about the four and butter kind that you find preferable to
> the cornstarch version?

both the flavor and texture to me are better.

> Other thickeners: Tapioca flour? Arrowroot?

don't have any of those on hand.

at the moment the point is moot since she changed her
mind and we are just going to melt chocolate and dip
the bananas instead.

give it five minutes and it can change again.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> If I was interested in making chocolate pudding and also using tapioca,
> I'd probably give that one a try. Truth be told, I've never tasted
> or used tapioca in anything.

it doesn't have any real flavor, it's just little lumps
like little bits of cooked pasta, but, well, pasta has
more flavor.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-01-12 12:38 a.m., songbird wrote:
>> which would you prefer flour fried with butter based or
>> corn starch based?
>>

> Fried ????

fry flour in oil is a common thickener. also called a
roux.

>> i have all the ingredients and i've made both kinds
>> before and i prefer the flour and butter kind.

> I usually make puddings with corn starch. The butter goes in at the end.

for chocolate or vanilla pudding with corn starch i'd
not put the butter in as you can't really taste it plus
i don't want the extra salt. Mom will put butter in
things because she really likes butter. i mean to the
point of putting butter on crackers before she puts
pate' on them or putting butter on a peanut butter
sandwich. uhg. no thanks! too much for me.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 12:38 AM, songbird wrote:
>> Mom brought home five more bananas and we'll need
>> to eat them up sooner rather than later and one way
>> she will eat them is if they're sliced in chocolate
>> pudding.
>>

> Okay, if she requires chocolate pudding to eat the bananas I wonder why
> she keeps bringing them home. Ever thought of making Banana Pudding?

uh, i didn't ask her to buy them, we already had some
green ones that were getting ripe enough, but for some
reason she thought to buy more. i've told her in the
past that she's buying too many, i can only eat one a
day and she might not eat any at all. we don't need
15 bananas. *SMH*

for me four a week is plenty.

not going to be making pudding now though, she changed
her mind.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> I used to love vanilla pudding with banana.

yes, that's good too, i like about any pudding
including the traditional bread puddings i've
had.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> If I was interested in making chocolate pudding and also using tapioca,
> I'd probably give that one a try. Truth be told, I've never tasted
> or used tapioca in anything.

If you ever want to just give it a try, look for Kozy Shack tapioca
pudding in your fridge section of grocery store. It's pretty good and
fairly all natural ingredients too.

I buy one every few years. It's decent, just not something that I think
about often. (just added it to my grocery list though)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 11:39:13 PM UTC-6, songbird wrote:

> Mom brought home five more bananas and we'll need
> to eat them up sooner rather than later and one way
> she will eat them is if they're sliced in chocolate
> pudding.
>
> songbird

Is banana bread an option?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2021 10:04 AM, songbird wrote:
> Taxed and Spent wrote:
>> What is it about the four and butter kind that you find preferable to
>> the cornstarch version?

> both the flavor and texture to me are better.
>

>> Other thickeners: Tapioca flour? Arrowroot?

> don't have any of those on hand.
>
> at the moment the point is moot since she changed her
> mind and we are just going to melt chocolate and dip
> the bananas instead.
>
> give it five minutes and it can change again.
>

> songbird

Bananas Foster.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" wrote in message ...

jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 12:38 AM, songbird wrote:
>> Mom brought home five more bananas and we'll need
>> to eat them up sooner rather than later and one way
>> she will eat them is if they're sliced in chocolate
>> pudding.
>>

> Okay, if she requires chocolate pudding to eat the bananas I wonder why
> she keeps bringing them home. Ever thought of making Banana Pudding?

uh, i didn't ask her to buy them, we already had some
green ones that were getting ripe enough, but for some
reason she thought to buy more. i've told her in the
past that she's buying too many, i can only eat one a
day and she might not eat any at all. we don't need
15 bananas. *SMH*

for me four a week is plenty.

not going to be making pudding now though, she changed
her mind.

songbird

===

<g>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 4:28:59 AM UTC-10, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 2:35 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 7:39:13 PM UTC-10, songbird wrote:
> >> which would you prefer flour fried with butter based or
> >> corn starch based?
> >>
> >> i have all the ingredients and i've made both kinds
> >> before and i prefer the flour and butter kind.
> >>
> >> or is there some other method/ingredients you'd
> >> use to make chocolate pudding?
> >>
> >> Mom brought home five more bananas and we'll need
> >> to eat them up sooner rather than later and one way
> >> she will eat them is if they're sliced in chocolate
> >> pudding.
> >>
> >> and, yes, my google isn't broken, but i thought it
> >> an interesting topic for the group.
> >>

> >> songbird

> > I have a bag of creme brulee mix that uses carrageenan as a thickening agent. There's no eggs and it's not set by heat. Just heat the mix until it starts to boil and cook for about a minute. That's it. Super fast and it makes the best creme brulee ever. It's a German product.
> > https://store.bakerscandc.com/creme-...mix-35oz-14666
> >

> "It's not set by heat"? I think it is. That is why you heat it. and
> what does it matter?

Like gelatin, one does not use heat to cook carrageenan or agar-agar, heat is used only to dissolve the agents into solution.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 5:02:13 AM UTC-10, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 02:35:57 -0800, dsi1 wrote:
>

> > I have a bag of crème brûlée mix that uses carrageenan

> > https://store.bakerscandc.com/creme-...mix-35oz-14666

> C'mon. If you don't burn the cream, call it something else.

You bet your sweet bippy that I burn the cream!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HPNSEnsV9MVYuYBR8
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 14:34:35 -0800, dsi1 wrote:

> You bet your sweet bippy that I burn the cream!

Sorry. As pointed out in a parallel thread by T & S, I did not read the
entire reference. I stand corrected. (corrigé.)

> https://photos.app.goo.gl/HPNSEnsV9MVYuYBR8

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 12:00:19 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On 1/12/2021 11:44 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> >>>
> >> Okay, if she requires chocolate pudding to eat the bananas I wonder
> >> why she keeps bringing them home. Ever thought of making Banana Pudding?

> > I used to love vanilla pudding with banana.
> >

> The banana pudding I know is allegedly a "Southern US" thing made with
> vanilla pudding mix and mashed bananas with Vanilla Wafers lining the
> pudding bowl. I've seen it but never actually tried it. If I brought
> home bananas I'd simply eat bananas.

What if you were a monkey, and you accidentally bought plantains
instead of bananas? You'd be in a real pickle then, missy.

https://rathergood.com/2015/09/10/wrong-bananas/

> Jill

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 12:00:19 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> The banana pudding I know is allegedly a "Southern US" thing made with
> vanilla pudding mix and mashed bananas with Vanilla Wafers lining the
> pudding bowl. I've seen it but never actually tried it. If I brought
> home bananas I'd simply eat bananas.
>
> Jill

True "Southern" banana pudding is made with a cooked milk and egg mixture.
Ripe bananas are sliced and layered with vanilla wafers, the pudding, bananas,
vanilla wafers. The pudding tops the last of the banana and wafer layers then
the egg whites are whipped into a meringue, spread on top, and then baked.

But I have had 'banana pudding' made with vanilla pudding but if it's going to
be a 'quickie' version, instant banana pudding is better than vanilla pudding.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021 Jan 12, , Gary wrote
(in article >):

> If you ever want to just give it a try, look for Kozy Shack tapioca
> pudding in your fridge section of grocery store. It's pretty good and
> fairly all natural ingredients too.
>
> I buy one every few years. It's decent, just not something that I think
> about often. (just added it to my grocery list though)

I have a 22 oz. container of KS chocolate and a 22 oz. container of KS
tapioca in my fridge right now. A great snack is a (your preferred size bowl)
with tapioca on the bottom and chocolate on the top. Add a Dole Tangerines in
Gel container as a side dish.
Unless you don´t like tapioca. Who doesn´t like chocolate? Kozy Shack is
a great commercial pudding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021 Jan 12, , songbird wrote
(in article >):

> for chocolate or vanilla pudding with corn starch i'd
> not put the butter in as you can't really taste it plus
> i don't want the extra salt. Mom will put butter in
> things because she really likes butter. i mean to the
> point of putting butter on crackers before she puts
> pate' on them or putting butter on a peanut butter
> sandwich. uhg. no thanks! too much for me.

I´m fond of butter or margarine on saltines when I think about it.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 9:25:18 PM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> On 2021 Jan 12, , Gary wrote
> (in article >):
> > If you ever want to just give it a try, look for Kozy Shack tapioca
> > pudding in your fridge section of grocery store. It's pretty good and
> > fairly all natural ingredients too.
> >
> > I buy one every few years. It's decent, just not something that I think
> > about often. (just added it to my grocery list though)

> I have a 22 oz. container of KS chocolate and a 22 oz. container of KS
> tapioca in my fridge right now. A great snack is a (your preferred size bowl)
> with tapioca on the bottom and chocolate on the top. Add a Dole Tangerines in
> Gel container as a side dish.
> Unless you don´t like tapioca. Who doesn´t like chocolate? Kozy Shack is
> a great commercial pudding.

I love those Dole Mandarins in Gel. You can get them cheap at Costco. I like tapioca pudding but not chocolate. I'll pick up a Kozy Shack product the next time that I can because I like living in a cozy shack.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021 Jan 12, , dsi1 wrote
(in >):

> I love those Dole Mandarins in Gel. You can get them cheap at Costco. I like
> tapioca pudding but not chocolate. I'll pick up a Kozy Shack product the next
> time that I can because I like living in a cozy shack.

Oops, I misspoke. Tangarines? I meant "Mandarins in Gel". Ain´t they
great?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 10:09:22 PM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> On 2021 Jan 12, , dsi1 wrote
> (in >):
> > I love those Dole Mandarins in Gel. You can get them cheap at Costco. I like
> > tapioca pudding but not chocolate. I'll pick up a Kozy Shack product the next
> > time that I can because I like living in a cozy shack.

> Oops, I misspoke. Tangarines? I meant "Mandarins in Gel". Ain´t they
> great?

Well, mandarins are just fancy names for tangerines as far as I know. My daughter got her daughter some Mandarins in juice. It's the same thing except it's not in gel. Those are great too. I ate half of those cups. That was bad of me but I'd do it again if they just leave it lying about the place. They pretty much have to hide it. It's their fault.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 5:02:13 AM UTC-10, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 02:35:57 -0800, dsi1 wrote:
>

> > I have a bag of crème brûlée mix that uses carrageenan

> > https://store.bakerscandc.com/creme-...mix-35oz-14666

> C'mon. If you don't burn the cream, call it something else.

You bet your sweet bippy that I burn the cream!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HPNSEnsV9MVYuYBR8

===

LOL that is one of my sayings))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021 Jan 13, , dsi1 wrote
(in >):

> Well, mandarins are just fancy names for tangerines as far as I know. My
> daughter got her daughter some Mandarins in juice. It's the same thing except
> it's not in gel. Those are great too. I ate half of those cups. That was bad
> of me but I'd do it again if they just leave it lying about the place. They
> pretty much have to hide it. It's their fault.

I´ve eaten all the Dole gels that are sold here. Peaches in gel, mixed
fruit in gel, maybe "mumble" in gel and mandarins in gel. Mandarins are my
favorite. I have eaten Dole mandarins in juice which were good too.
Where I shop, those itty bitty 4 packs ain´t cheap, but they´re
delicious. I like mine cold from the fridge.